Any1 hate working @ Meijer?

Posted in the Wixom Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Tony

Plymouth, MI

#2 Feb 24, 2011
I have not shopped there in years because of prices. Periodically I check back or review their flyers for comparison. Randazzo's, ALDI, Sav-A-Lot and WalMart are killing them on price. I think Meijer is surviving on pure inertia that can't last much longer. That and the fact that the senior short bus has it as a destination keep it going.
Meijer Sucks

Grand Blanc, MI

#3 Oct 8, 2011
f you really need a job Please Avoid Meijerís at least my location. I have been working for Meijerís for about 9 months at first I really enjoyed my job now Iím starting to wish I never applied. First I should say that not all people at Meijerís is horrible most are great individuals the only problem is a few team member and Management.

Ineffective Mangers
First, Meijer's need to do a better job when they are promoting managers to become Team Leaders I have two Managers who should have never gotten that position because they are ineffective managers, and they were only promoted because they have been with the company for years. I think the Mangers need more Training on how to treat employees with respect. I have been disrespected so many times by my management that someday I want to walk off the job. Also if you ever have a problem with Meijer's donít report it to anyone if so you could face retaliation.
As I said I work with amazing people but I have one team member who kisses up to the Management and our managers enjoy that and itís been paying off for him because he gets more hours that anyone. Managers have favorites and they are allowed to and thereís no law against it. I should just say that if you like being Micromanagement than Meijer's it the place for you.

Not enough Staff:
Iím currently and GM worker for Meijer's and I have to Management 5 areas while working Cloths, Pets, Toys, Hardware, Sporting goodÖetc. Meijer's expect 1 person to run this entire area during their entire shift and it must be completed 100% if not they will hold you past you time until itís completed.
Meijer's also has a problem with not staffing enough cashiers Iím not a trained cashier but Meijer's call me to the front so often that the computer generates my schedule as a cashier. You are not allowed to say no you donít want to come run a lane. Managers arenít asking they are telling you to come run lane. If you say no be expected to be fired or written up.
Conditioning you area is required and Mangers expect this to be completed 100% each day now the problem is that how can one person have an entire area completed when they are the only working?

No advancement:
If you donít want to become anything in life well take a job at Meijer's because there is no room for advancement at all. You start off part time and get between 20-30 hours a week and you start at minimum wage. I could never understand why Managers (Team Leaders) walk around happy when they are only making about 15.50 per hour. Also if you want to be TL or Manager Good luck you have to have at least 8 years before you could become a Manager. So if you want to have a horrible life working for a horrible company than take that job at Meijer's.

Meijer is a Union Company:
Meier's is part of a union and yeas that means they have seniority so if you ever want to become full time good luck. The lady Iím working with has been with Meijer's since 1993 and is still part time. Meijer's has no room for advancement.

Overall View:
If you really need a job look elsewhere because the Store Location I work with will just stress you out, but I f you like low Wages, Ineffective Mangers, Unions and no advancement opportunities than take the job at Meijerís. If you take the job working for this horrible company please donít make it a career.
Tony

Plymouth, MI

#4 Oct 8, 2011
Meijer Sucks wrote:
f you really need a job Please Avoid Meijerís at least my location. I have been working for Meijerís for about 9 months at first I really enjoyed my job now Iím starting to wish I never applied. First I should say that not all people at Meijerís is horrible most are great individuals the only problem is a few team member and Management.
Ineffective Mangers
First, Meijer's need to do a better job when they are promoting managers to become Team Leaders I have two Managers who should have never gotten that position because they are ineffective managers, and they were only promoted because they have been with the company for years. I think the Mangers need more Training on how to treat employees with respect. I have been disrespected so many times by my management that someday I want to walk off the job. Also if you ever have a problem with Meijer's donít report it to anyone if so you could face retaliation.
As I said I work with amazing people but I have one team member who kisses up to the Management and our managers enjoy that and itís been paying off for him because he gets more hours that anyone. Managers have favorites and they are allowed to and thereís no law against it. I should just say that if you like being Micromanagement than Meijer's it the place for you.
Not enough Staff:
Iím currently and GM worker for Meijer's and I have to Management 5 areas while working Cloths, Pets, Toys, Hardware, Sporting goodÖetc. Meijer's expect 1 person to run this entire area during their entire shift and it must be completed 100% if not they will hold you past you time until itís completed.
Meijer's also has a problem with not staffing enough cashiers Iím not a trained cashier but Meijer's call me to the front so often that the computer generates my schedule as a cashier. You are not allowed to say no you donít want to come run a lane. Managers arenít asking they are telling you to come run lane. If you say no be expected to be fired or written up.
Conditioning you area is required and Mangers expect this to be completed 100% each day now the problem is that how can one person have an entire area completed when they are the only working?
No advancement:
If you donít want to become anything in life well take a job at Meijer's because there is no room for advancement at all. You start off part time and get between 20-30 hours a week and you start at minimum wage. I could never understand why Managers (Team Leaders) walk around happy when they are only making about 15.50 per hour. Also if you want to be TL or Manager Good luck you have to have at least 8 years before you could become a Manager. So if you want to have a horrible life working for a horrible company than take that job at Meijer's.
Meijer is a Union Company:
Meier's is part of a union and yeas that means they have seniority so if you ever want to become full time good luck. The lady Iím working with has been with Meijer's since 1993 and is still part time. Meijer's has no room for advancement.
Overall View:
If you really need a job look elsewhere because the Store Location I work with will just stress you out, but I f you like low Wages, Ineffective Mangers, Unions and no advancement opportunities than take the job at Meijerís. If you take the job working for this horrible company please donít make it a career.
Or just hang on to your job until you are promoted to an effete manager yourself.
peace

Maysville, KY

#5 Oct 8, 2011
i hate it
Hate it

Andover, NH

#6 Nov 18, 2011
I've worked at Meijer for 3 months and I haven't been trained to do what I'm doing. I don't know what I'm doing and I never get off at my scheduled time. I regret ever applying for a job there.
On top of this, I'm a full time student and have majorly limited availability, however they can't seem to get my schedule right. I have to call every week because they schedule me during class or for too many hours during the week. I recently went to talk to someone about it, and it turns out the assistant manager hadn't turned in my availability sheet! I don't know if I'll continue to work here, it's way to terrible
Andrew

Royal Oak, MI

#7 May 29, 2012
The best way to survive at Meijer is to avoid every manager there. That's the only way to get by. It's the worst place I've ever worked. Today after a grueling day of pushing carts at this incredibly busy Meijer I work at my manager wouldn't let me leave on time (memorial day) because there were carts left in the corrals that I couldn't possibly finish on time. As she walks out to check the status of the lot a Serious storm starts up. Lightning, rain, wind...a seriously dangerous storm. There had been a tornado watch all day. She decides to run into it because there were a few loose carts in the far back of the lot (it's a huge lot). I naturally followed her into it because she kept talking as she headed out. Half way through the lot it got so bad I had to head back but she kept going for the carts. This was a very dangerous situation my manager put me in. I confronted her about it afterwards. I told her that she put both our lives at risk but she insisted that she "didn't force me to follow her" or something like that. The whole point of this story is that the managers at this place are likely to be bat crap crazy and probably have a death wish. Stay away. Far, far away.
Tyler

Indianapolis, IN

#8 Jun 1, 2012
I'm am in the Militay, i started working in meijer before i enlisted. Once i enlisted and got told where to go and when to go i had to call in quite abit. Manager threatened to fire me, it took 4 of my CO's to come directly in meijer and telling him if he didn't back off they had a lawyer willing to take the case. The managers all want to be the store director. They do not give a fuck about team members and what benefits them. I still currently work there. But once i leave for a deployment in october i'm not coming back. The worst job and the worst company i have ever had.
threeletters

Caledonia, MI

#9 Jun 10, 2012
Hate it wrote:
I've worked at Meijer for 3 months and I haven't been trained to do what I'm doing. I don't know what I'm doing and I never get off at my scheduled time. I regret ever applying for a job there.
On top of this, I'm a full time student and have majorly limited availability, however they can't seem to get my schedule right. I have to call every week because they schedule me during class or for too many hours during the week. I recently went to talk to someone about it, and it turns out the assistant manager hadn't turned in my availability sheet! I don't know if I'll continue to work here, it's way to terrible
They are so ridiculous! I just started and next week is my second week. I have been working by myself after one hour of cash training, I don't know how to do anything and they get pissed whenever I ask. Serious shit. I have heard similar stories from a few stores.
Mike

Damascus, MD

#10 Jun 13, 2012
I would think Plymouth Bowl would be a better place to work, free bowling and GREAT grilled cheese and frys.
someone

Newark, OH

#11 Aug 29, 2012
j've been at meijers for almost 2 years now and i hate it to death! i love the people i work with but as you all say the management sucks! i swear they are sooooo damn lazy its ungodly and then they have the audacity to tell you your lazy if you screw up one thing. i've been trying to find a job replacement. when my team leader isnt around i love it because of the people but whenever he comes around i hate my life. he sits around watches tv in the break room and does nothing then comes and bitches. i talked to the union a couple times about complaints and my team leader hears about it and bitches at me. i have a right to talk to them but you get bitched at for it. the managers are not union so they all stick together and they are worthless. we also have an "honesty policy" which is a load of crap and all the managers including store director lies. worse place to work period. unfortunately i cant find anyplace else at the moment around here. only reason i havent quit is because of the other people i work with in the department. dont work here. and yes full time is extremely diffictult to get. you have to accumulate a certain average amount of hours over the course of 26 or 27 weeks and they try to keep you right under it. fortunately for me open enrollment is coming up and i have the hours. i cant wait to see the look on my bosses face when he finds out im getting it. he can suck one!
Anonymous

Muskegon, MI

#12 Sep 3, 2012
I hate it and will be leaving the company for good in October of this year. I like most of the people I work with but management is a different story. They think I should be expected to lift as much as a big, strong man and expected to push as many carts as them too(it doesn't matter that I am a 95 pound woman). As soon as I come back from vacation, all the bullshit starts. Customers are too lazy to use the toilet but will crap right on the floor too!
Lucille

Louisville, KY

#13 Oct 2, 2012
threeletters wrote:
<quoted text>
They are so ridiculous! I just started and next week is my second week. I have been working by myself after one hour of cash training, I don't know how to do anything and they get pissed whenever I ask. Serious shit. I have heard similar stories from a few stores.
Yes, this is my third week there, the really training with the trainer on the register actually is only one hour, after came back from the break I just found out I have to do it all by myself, calling the coordinate service, they come over with an unhappy face. The worst is one night one of the leader order me to push cart, at first with bother cart pusher and at the end I found out only me myself a lady cashier pushing cart all by a myself at 11pm, at that point I start think abt to quit this job.
Ike

Troy, MI

#14 Oct 8, 2012
Mike wrote:
I would think Plymouth Bowl would be a better place to work, free bowling and GREAT grilled cheese and frys.
I agree!
All interested please submit your application.
Stupid for applying

Washington, MI

#15 Oct 17, 2012
The managers are liars and make you go an unrealistic amount of work in such a short time, they all tell you to do different things. They don't care about their employees they don't hear any of us out, goes in one ear and out the other. They don't give enough hours. The brown nosers gets all of the hours. This place is stupid and all they do is lie to me from day one, screw this place.
Nicole

Farmington, MI

#16 Oct 18, 2012
There's this one video on YouTube about how a parent left a kid at a Meijer and they didn't do anything about it. (It was a joke)
Fred Bromm

Troy, MI

#17 Oct 19, 2012
Nicole,
r u hot
Pissed Off Employee

Winnebago, IL

#18 Dec 23, 2012
Meijer is a joke. Working here has probably been the worst mistake of my entire life. Basically, you're a redshirt and nothing more. You're given all the stupid, redundant tasks while the team leaders do nothing while deciding its okay to criticize every little thing you supposedly do wrong. I've been working here for half a year and think about leaving each day. Don't get me wrong, my co-workers are nice and fun to be around, but the management at my store is a complete joke. Incompetent is a word I'd use. They have me shuffled around every department, I can never be sure where I'll be working on any given day. On top of that, it seems that I'm running lane more anyway. It's BS, they clearly need more cashiers. One more thing I'll add to this: they don't give two craps about your availability. If they schedule you, you have to be there or they will fire you no questions asked. I attended a funeral on a Sunday and called in the day before to let someone know and they STILL pointed me! That's ridiculous. Also, I'm a college student working two jobs. My hours change depending on school. I have given them availability sheets countless times but they never are entered or looked at. They keep scheduling me incorrectly and I'm so over it. If things don't change, I'll gladly resign my position. My other job is stable and steady, and I feel more respected there than at Meijer. They should reverse their slogan: "Lower standards, higher prices."
Meijer Peon

Muskegon, MI

#19 Feb 6, 2013
I've worked at Meijer for over 13 years and have pretty much hated every minute of it. I enjoy the work I do but management makes it next to impossible to get your work done because you're continuously called up front to run a lane or expected to cover several depts all alone.

Our store director is a she-devil sent directly from hell. Her presence there has caused many good people to leave because she expects perfection which is impossible to achieve as long as nasty-ass customers continue to come into the store.

The union is a complete joke. Seniority is supposed to mean something when it comes to scheduling but I am continuously scheduled later hours/shorter shifts than those who have only been with Meijer for a couple years or less. It's a weekly battle that I am quite frankly sick to death of.

Don't get sick and miss work or you will be written up. God forbid you have an accident and wind up in the hospital...you will be written up. Need to attend a funeral for a family member...written up. If your son or daughter becomes ill and is hospitalized, close to death and you decide to stay by their bedside...you'll be written up. It's a complete clusterfuck!

I'm just over 2 years from retirement and honestly don't know if I'll make it til then. Each day gets harder and harder to get motivated to go to that hellhole. I hate it with every fiber of my being.
Any1

Buffalo, NY

#20 Feb 6, 2013
Meijer Peon wrote:
I've worked at Meijer for over 13 years and have pretty much hated every minute of it. I enjoy the work I do but management makes it next to impossible to get your work done because you're continuously called up front to run a lane or expected to cover several depts all alone.
Our store director is a she-devil sent directly from hell. Her presence there has caused many good people to leave because she expects perfection which is impossible to achieve as long as nasty-ass customers continue to come into the store.
The union is a complete joke. Seniority is supposed to mean something when it comes to scheduling but I am continuously scheduled later hours/shorter shifts than those who have only been with Meijer for a couple years or less. It's a weekly battle that I am quite frankly sick to death of.
Don't get sick and miss work or you will be written up. God forbid you have an accident and wind up in the hospital...you will be written up. Need to attend a funeral for a family member...written up. If your son or daughter becomes ill and is hospitalized, close to death and you decide to stay by their bedside...you'll be written up. It's a complete clusterfuck!
I'm just over 2 years from retirement and honestly don't know if I'll make it til then. Each day gets harder and harder to get motivated to go to that hellhole. I hate it with every fiber of my being.
Sounds like if Meijer gave you your way they would soon go broke, but have a few more people at the wake.
Haters gonna hate no matter where they work.
Meijer Lifer

Lansing, MI

#21 Feb 11, 2013
After working for this company for 35 years I've had enough!!! Yes haters are going to hate but getting beaten down day after day takes it's toll. When I first started working I enjoyed my job, everyone pulled together from management to hourly and we got it done. Today it's totally different, you are expect to complete the job of 3-4 TM with management breathing down your neck. I've seen it all and done it all for this company and for what???? Granted I've had some decent managers but most were clueless, butt kissers. The Union is a JOKE in all my years I never used them but they sure took my money every week.
I wouldn't even let my own children apply at Meijer they found employment elsewhere. Bottom line don't work at M unless you have nowhere else to go.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wixom Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
PO Box 1022, Wixom, MI 48393 (Jul '13) Sat ransidrandy 8
JAMS Sucks!!!! (Aug '08) Oct 16 Iluvboobs 381
Review: All Star Dry Cleaners (Mar '09) Oct 15 Monica 28
Marko Beslach, laserpointer tough guy FAIL !!! Oct 10 old school justice 2
Lawsuit against ex-Michigan prosecutors to begin Oct 9 SLN 1
Two Novi judges accused of abusing their power ... Oct 8 Judy Williams 5
Review: Urban Optiques Vision and Eyewear (Apr '11) Oct 4 frank 2
Wixom Dating
Find my Match

Wixom Jobs

Wixom People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Wixom News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Wixom

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]