“Do Not Agitate the Fish! ”

Since: Jun 08

your nightmare! Or IS IT REAL?

#1 Feb 6, 2011
My wife and I are getting v-e-r-y close to 'pulling the pin' on the retirement angle. We are in our (early) 60's -(remember when you were a kid, and you were 5 and a HALF?.....well now it's 'early' 60's!) and we have some good friends living in Surprise. I have done a ton of looking, and there is no doubt about it-there are some killer deals on homes right now. In Surprise, and in a town in Oregon, namely, Redmond. Both places have. believe it or not, homes less than 10 years old, some as new as 2-3 years, for $60-$80K. Just amazing. Its too bad the economy dumped like it did, but while I support helping those in trouble as best I can, I will not feel guilty about buying in while we can afford it.
So the question is.......

(hoping for an answer from someone who has experience in BOTH areas).........
do you think that it is easier to eventually REALLY acclimate to the heat of the Surprise summer, or do you think it is overall a better option to go for the Redmond winter? About half of the days in Redmond are at freezing or lower, and y'all know what the Redmond summers are like. So, is it easier for humans to get into the heat, or the cold? One person I know said that "ya don't have to shovel heat, ya don't have to drive at 15 miles per hour because of "black heat" on the road (like black ice) and overall more folks die from cold problems than do those from heat problems.(I wasn't sure, so I googled it-its true!). AND, I actually had that pal of mine who lives in Surprise drive by one of the places that looked good on paper, and he was amazed. It isn't as 'grand' as his place (Sun City Grand), but he said the landscaping was perfect, the place was in a good looking neighborhood, and although there were cars not pulled into the garage, but left in the driveway, they were not a bunch of junkers, and he said "its not like they were flipped on their top so someone could get to the tires".
So please let me know what you think.....Heat or Cold? Which do you believe is the better option. Now that you have lived in Surprise, would you change it if you could?

thanks very much!
fish
Taxpayer

Peoria, AZ

#2 Feb 6, 2011
Forget the cold
djazz

Cranston, RI

#3 Feb 6, 2011
I'm from New England and I've been looking at AZ homes online also. An officer in Phoenix on Cops said that aside from the really hot months the rest of the year the weather is beautiful. That got me thinking. And of course in the summer it's cooler in the am and late afternoon. Everyone says it's a different kind of heat also. I had two people who had been there tell me that. (There's some great deals in Nevada too.) Instead of everything being heated everything is air conditioned.
Taxpayer

Peoria, AZ

#4 Feb 7, 2011
Yes, everything id airconditioned. You just don't go and stand in the sun for a long period of time. In your srea you would not stand in the cold either.

Since: Jan 13

United States

#5 Jan 27, 2013
It's a city in the middle of the desert . Someone's dumb idea long time ago. I can't tell you about oregon never live there. Maybe you should go where your friends are at I don't know. Don't you think you're old enough to make your own decisions. Kind of strange for you to be asking them personal questions at your age. I don't know if the Sun is going to help your condition you already can't make decisions on your own. Summers hotter than hell borderline ridiculous. Just ask God he will help u I'm sure you can make the best of wherever you go.
hey-remedial one

San Francisco, CA

#6 Jan 27, 2013
no yuser name wrote:
It's a city in the middle of the desert . Someone's dumb idea long time ago. I can't tell you about oregon never live there. Maybe you should go where your friends are at I don't know. Don't you think you're old enough to make your own decisions. Kind of strange for you to be asking them personal questions at your age. I don't know if the Sun is going to help your condition you already can't make decisions on your own. Summers hotter than hell borderline ridiculous. Just ask God he will help u I'm sure you can make the best of wherever you go.
Its called getting an opinion, and it doesnt matter how old you are-if you start thikking you have all the answers, you're in deep caca. By the way-what are YOU doing on this boaard? Trolling around for someone to give worthless redundant idiocy to?
way2much

Mesa, AZ

#8 Feb 1, 2013
YOU MIGHT WANT TO TAKE A LOOK FIRST,SURPRISE HAS BEEN SHIPPING SEC,8 WELFARE ''PEOPLE' IN FROM UP NORTH TO FILL THE HUD HOMES.SO THOSE CHEAP HOUSES
YOU SEE WILL HAVE 10 -12 PEOPLE LIVING IN THEM.I NOW HAVE 14 PEOPLE LIVING NEXT TO ME.
Uh Huh

Troy, IL

#9 Feb 1, 2013
My sister and her husband bought a house online about 10 years ago in that area and have never looked back! We're from Mich. For several years they kept a real nice double wide to go back north in the summer and they've given that up to. They love it Az!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wittmann Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
AZ AZ Hunting Amendment, Proposition 109 (Oct '10) 7 hr Robert E Analee 96
Review: Deep Within Recovery Inc (May '10) 23 hr larry jim 24
Shooting at busy Peoria shopping center injures 1 Mon yup 2
Review: Choi Orthodontics Sep 11 Anonymous 7
Review: Coco's Roadside Service Inc Sep 11 yup 11
Award Winning Garage Door Repair Company in Pho... (Jan '13) Sep 10 who 7
Review: Paradise Awaits Massage Sep 9 who 5
•••

Flash Flood Watch for Maricopa County was issued at September 16 at 3:02PM MST

•••