First Prev
of 7
Next Last
What the hell

Ashburn, VA

#1 Feb 18, 2009
I thought we elected this guy Rios to make the Fire Department a better one. Now I find out that he has taken four of the fire trucks out of service. Also he did away with the cadet program. He has,through his policy changes,made it impossible for the Volunteers to respond to any calls. When a call goes out,all five men on duty,get into one truck and respond. The four trucks that are left at the station are not availible to the Volunteers to respond with, because the keys have been removed and locked in the office. Rios has also notified all paid people that they are not to respond to any calls while off duty,or they will be written up. Again I thought we were supposed to get a better Fire Dept.,can't say this looks good. Today they had a call kick out in the District,but were redirected to a call outside the district,and called for mutial aid. Is this what we call a better Fire Dept. I for one think NOT. Rios has only been in office 76 days and it does'nt look very promising. Maybe we should ask the Maricopa County Board of Supervisors to look into this lack of leadership. They have the power to remove him and put someone in that shows some responsibility toward the residents of the area.
Scared in Wittmann

United States

#2 Feb 19, 2009
Did the mutual aid come from Surprise? Probably- I hear he still works for them (and gets a pay check from there I'm sure.) I hope everyone remembers that this town fought like hell for over 13 years to keep Surprise OUT. Now the new chief wants to call them in instead of using its own people to help the community? What side of the fence does he really stand on. Wittmann's or Surprise's?
What the hell

Ashburn, VA

#4 Feb 19, 2009
This morning I was told Chief Rios sent our 4000 gallon tanker truck to downtown Surprise yesterday to allow Surprise to practice tanker shuttle operations.so that Surprise can lower thier ISO rating. I read in the paper that Surprise purchesed a new 250,000 dollar Tanker. I have reservations about this. 1: Why does Surprise need our tanker? 2: What would happen if my house caught fire while that tanker was out of district? 3: What about our ISO rating? When can we expect our rating to drop,so that our insurance rates go down?

Since: Feb 09

Phoenix, AZ

#5 Feb 19, 2009
sure adds to the credibility of the discussion when you see "brilliant" comments like the one simms made. Might he be a tad insecure?
Truth

Glendale, AZ

#6 Feb 19, 2009
It's a good thing that Wittmann FD is working with Surprise FD. If there is ever a fire in Wittmann they will need the help of the real firemen from Surprise who actually know what they are doing.
Common Sense

United States

#7 Feb 20, 2009
What the hell wrote:
I thought we elected this guy Rios to make the Fire Department a better one. Now I find out that he has taken four of the fire trucks out of service. Also he did away with the cadet program. He has,through his policy changes,made it impossible for the Volunteers to respond to any calls. When a call goes out,all five men on duty,get into one truck and respond. The four trucks that are left at the station are not availible to the Volunteers to respond with, because the keys have been removed and locked in the office. Rios has also notified all paid people that they are not to respond to any calls while off duty,or they will be written up. Again I thought we were supposed to get a better Fire Dept.,can't say this looks good. Today they had a call kick out in the District,but were redirected to a call outside the district,and called for mutial aid. Is this what we call a better Fire Dept. I for one think NOT. Rios has only been in office 76 days and it does'nt look very promising. Maybe we should ask the Maricopa County Board of Supervisors to look into this lack of leadership. They have the power to remove him and put someone in that shows some responsibility toward the residents of the area.
It's called management. The old days of everyone climbing into all the vehicles and racing to a dog bite call are over. Now there will be controlled responses to the calls, just like a professional fire dept. And this will save on costs, reduce liabilities, and along with other reforms will get our ISO rating changed. It will take time. Give the guy a chance.
Scared In Wittmann

United States

#8 Feb 20, 2009
Hope its not your family that needs an immediate response for medical help when the WVFD is called for an out of district call and you have to wait for 20 minutes hoping that someone around knows CPR or any other life saving while waiting for help from Surprise to figure out where you live and how to get there. Don't count on volunteers- from what I heard- they're not allowed to respond to any calls in their own district. We have to count on outsiders from other districts who are at least 20 minutes away- that is if they are not busy helping someone in their own district.
What the hell

Ashburn, VA

#9 Feb 20, 2009
To me there has always been a difference between what is right and what is legal. While it may be legal for a fire truck to have RETREADED tires,to me it just is NOT RIGHT.These guys have enough to worry about,without wondering if they can get to thier next call alive.As one who has driven our nations highways, I have seen the catastrophic effects of tire failure on Big Rigs at highway speeds. Been told,did'nt believe,saw for myself,we now have Retread tires on our big tender. This vehicle carries 4000 gallons of water,at a weight of nearly 20 tons,would you like to drive this vehicle? What the hell?
What the hell

Ashburn, VA

#10 Feb 20, 2009
Common Sense wrote:
<quoted text>
It's called management. The old days of everyone climbing into all the vehicles and racing to a dog bite call are over. Now there will be controlled responses to the calls, just like a professional fire dept. And this will save on costs, reduce liabilities, and along with other reforms will get our ISO rating changed. It will take time. Give the guy a chance.
Let me start by giving some backgroud. I am a past Fire Chief of a small district in Arizona. While my district was far removed from that of Wittmann,I knew,respected and admired Chief Welch. After my retirement, my wife and I chose to settle in Wittmann because we knew several people,and we liked the climate. Being here for the past 11 years, I suppose you could still call me a newcomer.However I feel I have been here long enough to speak what I believe to be the truth. I have met many of the firemen on your department,and have talked "shop" with them,allowing me to gain insight into the day to day workings of the Department. When all 5 men on duty respond to a call in one truck,they leave 4 trucks unattended at the station on 203rd ave.If they have a second call,they cannot respond.The Volunteers cannot respond because the keys have been removed and locked in the office. I know that in the last 75 days there have been 13 times,that a second call kicked out with NO ONE to respond.The average response time for all calls has gone from a very respectable 5.6 minutes to a dismal 8.8 minutes.This is directly caused by Chief Rios' policy of not allowing the Volunteers to man vehicals with which to respond.Talk about liability,everytime a fire truck responds,it is at risk. Would you rather risk a $250,000 Engine and 5 men,or a $50,000 small truck and 2 men? Look around and see what other fire departments are doing. Mesa Fire sends 2 men in a small truck.The small truck is more cost effective,faster,easier to manuver and goes places you can not take an Engine.Last month, and this is documented,one lady who had fallen,had to wait 52 minutes for help because the "Engine" could'nt get there. They had to return to the station and re-respond in a small truck. So tell me how allowing all 5 men to respond to every call in one truck,"reduces liability and lowers cost" are you nuts? What the hell? Chief Rios,by knowing about this problem,and not taking corrective action against this practice,is doing the tax payers a grave disservice and opening the district to a potential law suit. L.R.Stedman,past Chief,Congress Fire.

fire sends 2 men in a small truck. The small truck is more cost effective,faster
azdesertcowboy

AOL

#11 Feb 20, 2009
I agree with everything "What the Hell" stated, as well as "Scared In Wittmann", as I too am terrified that I will need medical assistance or my house will burn to the ground while our new "city boy" fire department can't get their heads out of their asses long enough to respond, that is if they are indeed still in their own district and not helping Surprise take us over. Here is another thought to ponder, there has been a brush truck, I believe it has 763 on the side, parked out front of 242nd Ave and Red Robin every 4 days for 2 to 3 hours at a time. The "full time" fire fighter that does not live there, leaves with a big smile every time.
Common Sense

United States

#12 Feb 20, 2009
What the hell wrote:
To me there has always been a difference between what is right and what is legal. While it may be legal for a fire truck to have RETREADED tires,to me it just is NOT RIGHT.These guys have enough to worry about,without wondering if they can get to thier next call alive.As one who has driven our nations highways, I have seen the catastrophic effects of tire failure on Big Rigs at highway speeds. Been told,did'nt believe,saw for myself,we now have Retread tires on our big tender. This vehicle carries 4000 gallons of water,at a weight of nearly 20 tons,would you like to drive this vehicle? What the hell?
It's not your decision to make. You are not the chief. Besides, this rig is not trasversing this nations highways. It longest run is what 8 miles?
If the tires are maintained properly(inflation)and replaced at the proper intervals(age)and not overloaded there is not a problem here. Gee, retreads are good enough for use on commercial and military jets and even by most school bus companies. The U.S. Postal Service, Federal Express, and United Parcel Service are just a few of the thousands of fleets routinely using retreads. How many of their vehicles do you see on the side of the road with a tire problem? The reality is that rubber debris on the road is caused by tire abuse, not whether the tire is new or a retread.
OMG

AOL

#13 Feb 20, 2009
Common Sense"The old days of everyone climbing into all the vehicles and racing to a dog bite call are over. Now there will be controlled responses to the calls,"
Seriously???? The ousted management had policies in place that did not allow everyone on duty to leave the station in one vehicle. It sure as shit is happening now. Every person on shift or in the station piles into the bright and shiny new engine, even those persons that do not have certifications to do so, ans respond to 1 call. Hello?? What happens when the second call kicks out and it is a heart attack, cpr in progress?? Oh wait, I know, you die.....Thanks Mr. Rios, you sure did change things, for the worse....
Common Sense

United States

#14 Feb 20, 2009
What the hell wrote:
<quoted text>Let me start by giving some backgroud. I am a past Fire Chief of a small district in Arizona. While my district was far removed from that of Wittmann,I knew,respected and admired Chief Welch. After my retirement, my wife and I chose to settle in Wittmann because we knew several people,and we liked the climate. Being here for the past 11 years, I suppose you could still call me a newcomer.However I feel I have been here long enough to speak what I believe to be the truth. I have met many of the firemen on your department,and have talked "shop" with them,allowing me to gain insight into the day to day workings of the Department. When all 5 men on duty respond to a call in one truck,they leave 4 trucks unattended at the station on 203rd ave.If they have a second call,they cannot respond.The Volunteers cannot respond because the keys have been removed and locked in the office. I know that in the last 75 days there have been 13 times,that a second call kicked out with NO ONE to respond.The average response time for all calls has gone from a very respectable 5.6 minutes to a dismal 8.8 minutes.This is directly caused by Chief Rios' policy of not allowing the Volunteers to man vehicals with which to respond.Talk about liability,everytime a fire truck responds,it is at risk. Would you rather risk a $250,000 Engine and 5 men,or a $50,000 small truck and 2 men? Look around and see what other fire departments are doing. Mesa Fire sends 2 men in a small truck.The small truck is more cost effective,faster,easier to manuver and goes places you can not take an Engine.Last month, and this is documented,one lady who had fallen,had to wait 52 minutes for help because the "Engine" could'nt get there. They had to return to the station and re-respond in a small truck. So tell me how allowing all 5 men to respond to every call in one truck,"reduces liability and lowers cost" are you nuts? What the hell? Chief Rios,by knowing about this problem,and not taking corrective action against this practice,is doing the tax payers a grave disservice and opening the district to a potential law suit. L.R.Stedman,past Chief,Congress Fire.
fire sends 2 men in a small truck. The small truck is more cost effective,faster
As a resident, have you taken your concerns to Chief Rios? Or are you going to micro manage this department with your experiences as Fire Chief in what was it...... Mayberry?
Common Sense

United States

#15 Feb 20, 2009
OMG wrote:
Common Sense"The old days of everyone climbing into all the vehicles and racing to a dog bite call are over. Now there will be controlled responses to the calls,"
Seriously???? The ousted management had policies in place that did not allow everyone on duty to leave the station in one vehicle. It sure as shit is happening now. Every person on shift or in the station piles into the bright and shiny new engine, even those persons that do not have certifications to do so, ans respond to 1 call. Hello?? What happens when the second call kicks out and it is a heart attack, cpr in progress?? Oh wait, I know, you die.....Thanks Mr. Rios, you sure did change things, for the worse....
And why do you suppose Chief Rios has done this?
Scared in Wittmann

United States

#16 Feb 20, 2009
Anyone know where I can get one of those heart jumper things? I'd be safer teaching my dog to use it than waiting for some out of town foremen to find my house if I'm having a heart attack. Or maybe the new cheif would like to sell the non-used trucks for us residents to be able to protect ourselves.
OMG

AOL

#17 Feb 20, 2009
Scared in Wittmann"]Anyone know where I can get one of those heart jumper things? I'd be safer teaching my dog to use it than waiting for some out of town foremen to find my house if I'm having a heart attack. Or maybe the new cheif would like to sell the non-used trucks for us residents to be able to protect ourselves."

Now there is an idea I could get on board with!!
Common Sense

United States

#18 Feb 20, 2009
What the hell wrote:
The Maricopa County Board of Supervisors??? Are you serious? This same board that has held peoples property rights hostage in Wittmann for the last six months? This same board who LOST every count in state court concerning their arrogance in defying a state law restricting development around Aux 1? Now there is demonstrated lack of leadership.
OMG

AOL

#19 Feb 20, 2009
wish "common sense" had some....
Common Sense

United States

#20 Feb 20, 2009
OMG wrote:
Whats the matter, did you get spanked by the Chief?
What the hell

Ashburn, VA

#21 Feb 20, 2009
Common Sense wrote:
<quoted text>
As a resident, have you taken your concerns to Chief Rios? Or are you going to micro manage this department with your experiences as Fire Chief in what was it...... Mayberry?
I refuse to respond to any remarks which are hidden behind a code name. If you want to sign your name,I will be glad to answer. However this type of snide remark does'nt deserve a reply.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wittmann Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Arizona Armed and Unarmed Guard Trainin... (Mar '12) Feb 23 James 39
motorcycle fatality Feb 22 biker 1
3OYS: Two Valley businesses help homeowners see... Feb 20 Ram 1
Award Winning Garage Door Repair Company in Pho... (Jan '13) Feb 19 webscam 9
Hair stylist/Colorist Dec '14 Duffy24 1
Nadaburg wants to increase your taxes again Oct '14 desertmonkey1 3
all things wittmann (Jun '08) Oct '14 pss 36
Wittmann Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web