Why doesnt the CWA work to make sykes...

Why doesnt the CWA work to make sykes union?

Posted in the Wise Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Jul 12

Sandusky, OH

#1 Sep 22, 2012
There are 2 call centers in south west virginia run by sykes and not one of them is union. Why hasnt the CWA union tried to get them union? We need better pay and benefits and better working conditions. The CWA just got verizon a new contract. Now why don't they try to get us one to.
Maybe

Nashville, TN

#2 Sep 23, 2012
Sykes will close if they are unionized. Employees are actively taught how to keep a union out and were told that Sykes would close if a union were brought in.
well

Norton, VA

#3 Sep 27, 2012
"We need better pay and benefits and better working conditions."

The solution to this is to get a degree and leave. Sykes is unskilled labor..what do you expect?
FormerPhoneJocke y

Herndon, VA

#4 Sep 27, 2012
Very true about unionization would shutter the place quick. Sykes isn't a communications company so inclusion to the Communication Workers of America is not going to happen. It is just a call center where asses in the seat is the driving force. The fact that it has existed for the years it has shows that that goal isn't hard to accomplish even though thousands of people have worked there by now due to attrition. The wage they pay is just barely above minimal wage to lure people in and then they find themselves in more or less a "wage-slave" spot after adjusting to the slightly better than average pay for unskilled/non-specialized work in the area. Not being a cynic but that is the standard MO of most call center type operations then when burn in hits an employee metrics are easy to change in the companies favor, in justification of firings, just to get some bright eyed new hire in to repeat the same thing.
AimHi

Salem, VA

#5 Sep 29, 2012
Call centers are designed as a place to work to support yourself and help pay for college. You work there on a flexible schedule until you get your college degree...then you get the big payoff.
sykes billboard is hypocr

Wise, VA

#6 Sep 29, 2012
sykes billboard is hypocritical that is a job it is not a career sykes sucks sykes is a pathetic place to work and anyone who would be proud of the job needs a check up from the neckup.
charlie

United States

#7 Oct 1, 2012
history has a way of repeating itself.At one time most all the coal mines were uniopn,no more.Now workers are on jobs that,as a poster above said,pay small wages and also keep the worker in a work slave position.This will change when the workers decide enough is enough. As far as them shutting the doors,that is what you would expect them to say.They need to get a union if they want it and when they do tell Sykes,"we closed it for you"until we get a fair deal.Com pamies dont hire or keep anyone unless you are making money for them.Therefore they wont close if they are making money,why would they?They will strong arm,posture,make threats and get rid of people just to intimidate.In the end ,if they are making money here they will go union. If after the effort they are not making money then they will close.If that is the case your job wasnt very secure anyway.If a union is wanted contact CWA and let them handle it. Once the process starts,trust no one,keep your opinions to yourself and make your statement when you cast your vote for or against.Good luck to everyone out at Sykes.If you arent being treated with respect and being compensated fairly for your labor then the ball is in your hands,run with it or drop it. The call is yours
Maybe

Nashville, TN

#8 Oct 1, 2012
Charlie,
There are so many Sykes centers across the country and across the world that the Wise site would close if a union came in. It's that simple. As I stated, certain employees are specifically taught how not to let a union through the door. There are even plans in place if a single employee says the word "union". So, It's not that simple.
honestly

Indian Trail, NC

#9 Dec 18, 2012
Sykes is awful. They pay well but that's it. They play favourites. They don't allow unions because they know they'd get in trouble for their shenanigans.
honestly

Indian Trail, NC

#10 Dec 18, 2012
well wrote:
"We need better pay and benefits and better working conditions."
The solution to this is to get a degree and leave. Sykes is unskilled labor..what do you expect?
Many Have the degree or are getting one. Some of them have little choice. There may not be openings around here for their degree and they cannot jus t simply leave the area.

Do the workers not deserve compensation? Do we not deserve better conditions?
Haha

Big Stone Gap, VA

#11 Dec 18, 2012
Maybe wrote:
Charlie,
There are so many Sykes centers across the country and across the world that the Wise site would close if a union came in. It's that simple. As I stated, certain employees are specifically taught how not to let a union through the door. There are even plans in place if a single employee says the word "union". So, It's not that simple.
Well I guess the new graduates from "Union" High School are S.O.L. then.
eff the union

Radford, VA

#12 Dec 19, 2012
Union's are noting more than thugs. They used to be a needed asset, but the unions should be a thing of the past. Talk at my company was to unionize. I flat out told my employees to go ahead, and I would close the doors and fire them all the next day.
Sykes sucks

Charlotte, NC

#13 Dec 20, 2012
Sykes needs thugs. They are spawn of Satan
maybe

United States

#14 Jan 1, 2013
eff the union wrote:
Union's are noting more than thugs. They used to be a needed asset, but the unions should be a thing of the past. Talk at my company was to unionize. I flat out told my employees to go ahead, and I would close the doors and fire them all the next day.
Unions may have been a good thing in long ago past, in order to get fair treatment and fair pay. Hoever "Unions" are an evil part of society. They are only interested in the amount of money each person pays into them, and they can be bought off and so persons are not protected in any way. It's all about the dollars for the Unions. They don't care about the people. I personally have worked as a Union employee and on the Union committy and I also worked as a boss in the Unions. I also worked in non-unions as a regular employee and as a non-union Foreman. I can tell you all that until you've walked in all those 4 different positions, then you have no concept of what's good for you or bad for you. Not one person, that will do his job, and do a good job, needs a "union" *(other persons as a group) to help protect your rights or your job. You do that on your own, by being a good worker, and a dedicated person that shows appreciation for a Company giving you a job, so that you may support your family and take care of yourself, bills, and have something to look forward to for the future. Every Union is a joke, abusers of others, and a total waste of anyones hard earned money. They have caused more lost jobs than any other single thing in history. I personally hate any Union type ogranizations in this new age. You think and say what you wish. But if you do your job, and do a good job, you don't need any group to help your lazy arse to keep your job. All the non-union places I've worked at, treated me better by far, and paid me more than any Union place that I worked at. The advantage of working at a non-union place is this: If you are a good employee and a hard worker and show dedication, they will pay you more for that, as opposed to a Union place, that has to pay you set wage, regardless of how good or badly you work or if you're a good or bad employee. I dispise Unions and they and anyone that wants them, I've always found out, those persons, are lazy persons, and troublemakers whom want others to help them keep their jobs, while they sit back and laugh at the good workers.
lol

Wise, VA

#15 Jan 1, 2013
maybe wrote:
<quoted text>
Unions may have been a good thing in long ago past, in order to get fair treatment and fair pay. Hoever "Unions" are an evil part of society. They are only interested in the amount of money each person pays into them, and they can be bought off and so persons are not protected in any way. It's all about the dollars for the Unions. They don't care about the people. I personally have worked as a Union employee and on the Union committy and I also worked as a boss in the Unions. I also worked in non-unions as a regular employee and as a non-union Foreman. I can tell you all that until you've walked in all those 4 different positions, then you have no concept of what's good for you or bad for you. Not one person, that will do his job, and do a good job, needs a "union" *(other persons as a group) to help protect your rights or your job. You do that on your own, by being a good worker, and a dedicated person that shows appreciation for a Company giving you a job, so that you may support your family and take care of yourself, bills, and have something to look forward to for the future. Every Union is a joke, abusers of others, and a total waste of anyones hard earned money. They have caused more lost jobs than any other single thing in history. I personally hate any Union type ogranizations in this new age. You think and say what you wish. But if you do your job, and do a good job, you don't need any group to help your lazy arse to keep your job. All the non-union places I've worked at, treated me better by far, and paid me more than any Union place that I worked at. The advantage of working at a non-union place is this: If you are a good employee and a hard worker and show dedication, they will pay you more for that, as opposed to a Union place, that has to pay you set wage, regardless of how good or badly you work or if you're a good or bad employee. I dispise Unions and they and anyone that wants them, I've always found out, those persons, are lazy persons, and troublemakers whom want others to help them keep their jobs, while they sit back and laugh at the good workers.
Sykes only cares for certain workers-their favorites. They care nothing about protecting each employee equally. At Sykes, doing your job doesn't matter. Sucking up matters. At one time, I didn't listen to the rumors that they screw you over. Now, I can say that most of them are true. Sykes pays well and gives you the hours. That's about it. People have been getting time off requests denied for surgery. Is that right? I don't care about the service needs. Your employees' health care needs should come before that. You have other workers. Or maybe pressure people into working overtime like Sykes does.
lol

Wise, VA

#16 Jan 1, 2013
AimHi wrote:
Call centers are designed as a place to work to support yourself and help pay for college. You work there on a flexible schedule until you get your college degree...then you get the big payoff.
Sykes brags about being flexible. They are anything but flexible.
boo

Norton, VA

#17 Jan 1, 2013
Sykes eventually screws EVERYONE over. They do have their favorites, they are not flexible with schedules. They're a typical company and employer in today's economy. They only care about about their bottom line. It's not like it used to be where the company actually cared about the welfare of their employees. They are not exceptional, they are typical.
ex-employ wise vansant

Salem, VA

#18 Feb 10, 2013
It's a violation of the employ contract you sign.
hmm

Nashville, TN

#19 Feb 11, 2013
i always heard it was a good place to work. what are the schedule and benefits they offer when you first start? kinda surprising all of you saying the bad
Tom

Troy, NC

#20 Feb 12, 2013
My dad used to be President of the CWA in this area and he said Sykes would pull outta here before they unionize.

The reason that these companies like Sykes, Telemed, and Travelocity come to here is because this is a low-income area in a Right to Work State, which means the employer has more rights. They get tax deductions (save money) for bringing jobs here and throw out mediocre paying jobs. It's like coming up to a table of starving people and throwing down scrap. The scrap thrower is treated and awarded like a savior because they are bringing jobs and money even though it really is scraps

This is basically the out-scourcing INSIDE America. Areas like these are usually the last stops before companies make the jump over seas to India or the Philippines...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wise Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
disappearing post 1 hr Move on 3
SW Wings 19 hr Onlooker 2
VHSL Rules for Eligibility (Sep '10) Mon basketballfail 24
Need to get in touch with Felicia Powers (Jul '13) Sun Know it for sure 21
Jamie miller narcing! (Nov '10) Sep 13 Get a life 19
narcs_list them here!!!! (Sep '10) Sep 12 Defeat Ralph Nort... 131
does anyone know hickory at McDonald's in wise va? Sep 10 bell 3

Wise Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Wise Mortgages