First Prev
of 3
Next Last
well

Murfreesboro, TN

#1 Dec 6, 2010
I was curious about Sykes. I dont want to hear gossip about what goes on there just a basic run through of job requirements there are. Like was do you do in a normal day when you work there? How many hours do you get a week? Can i get as many hours as I want a week like up to 40? Are they flexible with my schedule? How easy is it to work my way up the ladder?

Thanks in advance!
just wondering

Paducah, KY

#2 Dec 6, 2010
Training for 2 weeks which you learn nothing.....Normal day, answer phones for couple of hours and get cursed at then take a 15 min break hour or so later take hour lunch then answer phones and get cursed at and again take another 15 min break. You can't work your way up unless you want to sleep with one the TM's or be a really big suck up to Ked if he is still running the place. They are not flexible you have to work what they give you if not you get pointed or fired. TM's are twofaced. Never get a day that you need off. If you need to know anything else just go work there and you will find out!
just wondering

Paducah, KY

#3 Dec 6, 2010
I meant training for 4 weeks, 3 in class and 1 on the floor!
someone

Murfreesboro, TN

#4 Dec 6, 2010
just wondering wrote:
Training for 2 weeks which you learn nothing.....Normal day, answer phones for couple of hours and get cursed at then take a 15 min break hour or so later take hour lunch then answer phones and get cursed at and again take another 15 min break. You can't work your way up unless you want to sleep with one the TM's or be a really big suck up to Ked if he is still running the place. They are not flexible you have to work what they give you if not you get pointed or fired. TM's are twofaced. Never get a day that you need off. If you need to know anything else just go work there and you will find out!
That pretty much sums it up. I'd bet money that place is full of black mold too
great

Kingsport, TN

#5 Dec 9, 2010
my mom works at sykes and loves it.
harley

Gallatin, TN

#6 Dec 9, 2010
Most likely is full of mold, you will be ok when you first go to work once there for a short time you get a stuffy nose, a cough and you sneeze alot. Worked there for 2+ yrs wasn't so bad,trained for 2 wks 1 wk in transition. You can get lots of overtime in certain departments. At least 8 hrs daily bad benefits,no room for advancement (why would you want to)sub standard pay for what Sykes is making. They will tell you they will work with your school schedule and will for a little while then it all changes. Your training is inadequate you are monitored and scored unfairly. They are unreasonable and are always changing things without telling you. Sykes was given everything by Wise County. Building,grounds,everyting inside,and I am sure they have been given a tax break as well, they give little back especially to the employees. The management staff looks down on the csr's. Overall I would rate Sykes a 6 out of 10.
honest opinion

Cowpens, SC

#7 Dec 9, 2010
Sykes is a good place to work if you like sitting around all day basically doing nothing but taking phone calls and listening to feedback from TMs and Quality people. Its not a hard job at all but it's ONLY a job for most people. You have to be exceptional to actually move up there. 400 plus employees, plus 1000s and 1000s of people who have been in out and over the years. So yes, it's actually hard to move up, highly competitive and hard to be recognized. If you are looking for a "career" you need to get an college education. Sykes is just like anywhere else, there's pros and cons to every job. Most people who bad mouth Sykes probably only worked there for a short amount of time. Some probably have legit complaints but I'd say its few and far between.
toya0

Gate City, VA

#8 Dec 10, 2010
I've never heard one good thing about Sykes - only horror stories from ex employees.
Uranidiot

Frankfort, KY

#9 Dec 10, 2010
Is hat true about the black mold?
answer ur actual question

Mount Juliet, TN

#10 Dec 12, 2010
well:

Please allow me to answer your question. I believe you asked for a breakdown of the life a sykes employee minus the b*tching and complaining. I notice that you have 8 responses and only one is close to correct info (Harley). Training and transitioning depend on the line of business that you are hired for. Different people learn different ways so you may learn a lot from your trainer or you may learn more from actually doing the job hands on. Training includes visual, audio and hands on so all learning types are included.

You will get more feedback and coaching at Sykes than most places of employment but if you are interested in moving up and it sounds like you are...this can only help you.

Most people start out as agents on the phone taking calls for about 8 hours a day, that includes 2 paid 15 minute breaks. You do have to be able to deal with people because not every phone call is from a happy customer...that's life. I can say that at least it is not face to face interaction and you would rarely ever speak to the same customer twice.

You do get at least 40 hours if you want it some people take less and go part time while others take advantage of any overtime they want. Sykes does try to be flexible with schedules as long as they are within reason, I could never promise you would have every weekend off unless it was earned via performance. Sykes does performance based rankings and from there you may select the schedule of your choosing that works best with your life style.

As mentioned before you can move up the ladder and Sykes is a global company so it may be that you can move up the ladder in Wise or you may be someone looking to relocate and can even be hired for other centers in other states or even countries. There I a ton of room for advancement if you work hard, have a good attitude and work hard.
lmao

Murfreesboro, TN

#11 Dec 12, 2010
Well someone obviously works at Sykes and is in denial.
rabbit

Nashville, TN

#12 Dec 12, 2010
I worked at Sykes for 4 years... You do not want to move up bc then you get moved to salary, which is not worth the manager hours which are 90 to 100+...that is why about 7 managers have quit just this past month or so.. ask anyone who works there!
If you can sit on the phone for 8 hours, deal with children being above you in the workplace and be on time every day then you will be A OKAY!
Not for Me

United States

#13 Dec 12, 2010
I was hired at Sykes a few months ago. I was told the schedule was 8-5 Mon-Fri. A few days before I was supposed to start I got a call & they said the they change the shift and it would be like 4 to 1 or something crazy. I am a single mother and giving a few days notice just was not practical to get a sitter and everything lined up. I heard that they do that stuff ALL the time.
someone

Murfreesboro, TN

#14 Dec 12, 2010
Not for Me wrote:
I was hired at Sykes a few months ago. I was told the schedule was 8-5 Mon-Fri. A few days before I was supposed to start I got a call & they said the they change the shift and it would be like 4 to 1 or something crazy. I am a single mother and giving a few days notice just was not practical to get a sitter and everything lined up. I heard that they do that stuff ALL the time.
They do, and they hire retards as TMs

Since: Jul 09

Mount Juliet, TN

#15 Dec 15, 2010
well wrote:
I was curious about Sykes. I dont want to hear gossip about what goes on there just a basic run through of job requirements there are. Like was do you do in a normal day when you work there? How many hours do you get a week? Can i get as many hours as I want a week like up to 40? Are they flexible with my schedule? How easy is it to work my way up the ladder?
Thanks in advance!
I worked at Sykes for 2+ years and I'll tell you firsthand that most of what you've read here about them is true. They tell you they have flexible schedules, then after you get out on the floor they will change it with little or no warning. I go to college and was promised a flexible schedule but they scheduled me to come in 15 to 30 minutes after my last class. No way you can get from Big Stone through Wise in that length of time. I was always late because they wouldn't change it and finally had to call corporate. Also about the black mold...ABSOLUTELY TRUE. The building has leaked for years and all they do is put a trash can under it, last year during the worst storm, the roof collapsed and all they did was have the roof repaired, inspectors said it was fine but we all know inspectors can be bought. As for what "answer ur question"(obvious Sykes employee)said....yeah right...I was there one day when they had 30 people quit...does a great company have the kind of employee turnover that they have? What they really need is a UNION...yeah I said the dirty word you're not supposed to say within ten miles of Sykes. Honestly the work isn't that bad, especially since they got rid of Time-Warner as a client...now that was bad. You got cursed out every ten minutes. I'd work there again only as a last resort.
Doodoo

Frankfort, KY

#16 Dec 15, 2010
I want to know is the work steady? Will they fire you for no good reason?
earn

Murfreesboro, TN

#17 Dec 15, 2010
I have worked at Sykes now going on 2 years. I agree with some/most of the things everyone has said about Sykes... I try to think about it this way.. its a job that the pay is ok, you get incentives (if you do your job), after 1yr of being there you get 80hrs of vaction time and thur the time being there you earn emergancy time off (ETO), If you do your job you pretty much get to pick your schedule, your work inside a building so you dont have to be in the weather, most of the time you can work all the overtime you want. So if you want to pick a job that you have to be out side it up to you..
someone

Murfreesboro, TN

#18 Dec 15, 2010
earn wrote:
I have worked at Sykes now going on 2 years. I agree with some/most of the things everyone has said about Sykes... I try to think about it this way.. its a job that the pay is ok, you get incentives (if you do your job), after 1yr of being there you get 80hrs of vaction time and thur the time being there you earn emergancy time off (ETO), If you do your job you pretty much get to pick your schedule, your work inside a building so you dont have to be in the weather, most of the time you can work all the overtime you want. So if you want to pick a job that you have to be out side it up to you..
Or you can get an education, get out of wise county, and not work at a shithole like sykes for the rest of your life.
Thatsy

Frankfort, KY

#19 Dec 15, 2010
So- everyone get a degree and leave wise co., if you haven't noticed- just about everyone has. There is nothin wrong w/ not choosing the education route. There need to be options for those of us who aren't up to going back to school.
wow

Gate City, VA

#20 Dec 15, 2010
earn wrote:
I have worked at Sykes now going on 2 years. I agree with some/most of the things everyone has said about Sykes... I try to think about it this way.. its a job that the pay is ok, you get incentives (if you do your job), after 1yr of being there you get 80hrs of vaction time and thur the time being there you earn emergancy time off (ETO), If you do your job you pretty much get to pick your schedule, your work inside a building so you dont have to be in the weather, most of the time you can work all the overtime you want. So if you want to pick a job that you have to be out side it up to you..
let not forget to remind everyone the Emergency eto time is only allowed 1 time every 6months the rest of the time u have to schedule your eto time in advance. My husband and I learned the hard way when our car broke down last year during the blizzard and he couldnt get to work and could only use eto time one day of the three he missed.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wise Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Pathetic wanna be moms in wise (May '16) 20 hr Califorever 23
Loose women at Sykes 20 hr I know her 15
Sadler Sun cuz 26
how to start working from home Sat amazing 1
Girl in White SUV with no car seats for her chi... Sat Patriots1997 8
Annie Asbury (Apr '16) Feb 23 Haha wow 8
Davie gazada Feb 23 slimjim 26

Wise Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Wise Mortgages