why do people believe in god and the bible?

Posted in the Wise Forum

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
atheist agnostic rules u

Norton, VA

#1 Feb 25, 2013
it's all just a bunch of bull crap written by some sexually frustrated old man. god and satan are myths. i think people believe in that nonsense because they are afraid of death. death is a part of life deal with it.
TOMS

Norton, VA

#2 Feb 25, 2013
Why are you trying to pick fights? You know a lot of people around this area are very devote and religious. You are just being petty and mean. It doesn't matter how foolish you think we Christians are, we think you are foolish as well. Also, I have no fear in death whatsoever.
Really

Wise, VA

#3 Feb 26, 2013
atheist agnostic rules u wrote:
it's all just a bunch of bull crap written by some sexually frustrated old man. god and satan are myths. i think people believe in that nonsense because they are afraid of death. death is a part of life deal with it.
Its the way we were brought up, the right way. Seems there was a lack of parenting on ur part. Your just wanting attention. You probably think ur gay too, that's why ur pissed at God.
MakeNote

Knoxville, TN

#4 Feb 27, 2013
Make note that the Bible is the word of man - flawed humans. It was not dictated by God.
Men (literally, no female involvement) wrote it, and men translated it over and over and over again. Too much room for personal interpretation in the original writings and subsequent translations.
Believer

Church Hill, VA

#5 Feb 27, 2013
I'd rather be a believer and be wrong than a non-believer and be wrong. At least if I'm wrong, my beliefs did not hurt anything. If YOU'RE wrong... well, let's just say eternity will not be a pleasant one my friend.
Lisa

Blacksburg, VA

#6 Feb 27, 2013
Believer wrote:
I'd rather be a believer and be wrong than a non-believer and be wrong. At least if I'm wrong, my beliefs did not hurt anything. If YOU'RE wrong... well, let's just say eternity will not be a pleasant one my friend.
Well said! Amen

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#7 Feb 27, 2013
Really wrote:
<quoted text>
Its the way we were brought up, the right way. Seems there was a lack of parenting on ur part. Your just wanting attention. You probably think ur gay too, that's why ur pissed at God.
That's not always the case. I was brought up in a devout Christian household. I made the conscious decision on my own not to be religious. I personally cannot overlook the outright lies and misinformation that is part of religion, for instance, how old the Earth is. In my not-so-humble opinion, anyone who thinks the Earth is only 6000 to 8000 years old are either very naive, or totally out of their gourd. Another is the way most Christians seem to preach about how Jesus taught this, and Jesus taught that, yet go against the very principles of his teachings, and hating someone that doesn't lead their life the way they themselves do. Also, I have personally witnessed many "Christians" leading a very different life Monday through Saturday, then on Sunday, they are trying out for Saint-hood, that's just plain hypocritical. Basically, it's not always the parents, sometimes it's religion itself that is to blame for Atheists, whether they are "Gay" or not, that has no bearing whatsoever on their religious beliefs.
Really

Wise, VA

#8 Feb 27, 2013
Now we know what's really wrong with you. Other peoples actions shouldn't decide your religous beliefs. They will have to stand in front of God on judgement day and face their sins. That's not your problem. Believe what you want, but I know who created me and who I will face on judgement. It's your problem if you don't believe.
just another freak

Norton, VA

#9 Feb 28, 2013
ReaperDragon wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not always the case. I was brought up in a devout Christian household. I made the conscious decision on my own not to be religious. I personally cannot overlook the outright lies and misinformation that is part of religion, for instance, how old the Earth is. In my not-so-humble opinion, anyone who thinks the Earth is only 6000 to 8000 years old are either very naive, or totally out of their gourd. Another is the way most Christians seem to preach about how Jesus taught this, and Jesus taught that, yet go against the very principles of his teachings, and hating someone that doesn't lead their life the way they themselves do. Also, I have personally witnessed many "Christians" leading a very different life Monday through Saturday, then on Sunday, they are trying out for Saint-hood, that's just plain hypocritical. Basically, it's not always the parents, sometimes it's religion itself that is to blame for Atheists, whether they are "Gay" or not, that has no bearing whatsoever on their religious beliefs.
Thank you for your diatribe on religion. You should enjoy your time spend with Charles Manson, Hitler, and the like when your life is over.

Location hidden

#10 Feb 28, 2013
You people have no reading comprehension do you? RELIGION is why I'm an Atheist, not the actions of other people...Also, the last time I checked, this is the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and we have this little thing called FREEDOM OF RELIGION which includes the right to NOT FOLLOW A RELIGION without PERSECUTION, which is exactly what you idiots do when someone states they are an Atheist, you persecute them, saying they're something wrong with me because I don't believe in your dogma is just stupid. People like "Really" and "just another freak" are exactly what is wrong with your religion. I want to be there to see the look on your face when reality sets in and you realize your god doesn't exist, that would be priceless...
Bob

Duffield, VA

#11 Feb 28, 2013
I believe it because it's true. If you don't believe in God, why waste your time with this thread? It's so funny how atheists get so offended by something they claim does not exist. Talk about insecure, frustrated, etc....

Location hidden

#12 Feb 28, 2013
Bob wrote:
I believe it because it's true. If you don't believe in God, why waste your time with this thread? It's so funny how atheists get so offended by something they claim does not exist. Talk about insecure, frustrated, etc....
Not insecure or frustrated at all. Well, a bit of frustration does take hold when people ostracize Atheists for their belief or lack-thereof, because last time I checked, this is the U.S.A. where we brag about our freedoms, like the freedom of religion, yet if you aren't a christian, you're not welcome.
Truth

Kingsport, TN

#13 Feb 28, 2013
The Bible was not written by one man, and it isn't one book. It is a collection of 66 books written by at least 40 different men from many different countries, in three different languages over a period of 1400 years. Most of the authors never knew or met one another. Most had no access to any of the others own writings yet they quote and reference each other with pin point accuracy. The Bible has been used to test and prove scientific theory, historical events, archaeological and anthropological discoveries. It is consistently the number one best seller year after year. It has proved the test of time.

It has not been translated and retranslated. That is a lie told by the secular world. Almost all translations are translated directly from original scrolls. Not copies of copies.

Now, if the fact that it was penned by men turns you off, then you must also ignore any and all history books EVER written, as they were all written by men who could put their own "spin" on the events in question.

I challenge anyone to find a similar collection of books, with as many different authors from different countries, speaking different languages, quoting each other without seeing each others works...all over a period of thousands of years that is even remotely as accurate as the Bible. All at a time when there was no postal service, radio, television, email, Facebook, Twitter , or any other means of regular communication.Anyone who dispels the Bible as one book of myths with opportunistic spin, is very poorly educated and showing a complete lack of logical thinking.

Location hidden

#14 Feb 28, 2013
Truth wrote:
The Bible was not written by one man, and it isn't one book. It is a collection of 66 books written by at least 40 different men from many different countries, in three different languages over a period of 1400 years. Most of the authors never knew or met one another. Most had no access to any of the others own writings yet they quote and reference each other with pin point accuracy. The Bible has been used to test and prove scientific theory, historical events, archaeological and anthropological discoveries. It is consistently the number one best seller year after year. It has proved the test of time.
It has not been translated and retranslated. That is a lie told by the secular world. Almost all translations are translated directly from original scrolls. Not copies of copies.
Now, if the fact that it was penned by men turns you off, then you must also ignore any and all history books EVER written, as they were all written by men who could put their own "spin" on the events in question.
I challenge anyone to find a similar collection of books, with as many different authors from different countries, speaking different languages, quoting each other without seeing each others works...all over a period of thousands of years that is even remotely as accurate as the Bible. All at a time when there was no postal service, radio, television, email, Facebook, Twitter , or any other means of regular communication.Anyone who dispels the Bible as one book of myths with opportunistic spin, is very poorly educated and showing a complete lack of logical thinking.
So I take it you're of the belief that the universe is only 6000 to 8000 years old? So you're basically saying that the bible is the ONLY truthful writing in human history? You're completely disregarding Chinese texts that go back further than 6000 years? Or Sumerian texts that predate those Chinese texts? I totally agree the bible is a great example of human ingenuity, but to take it word for word as total truth is more than a leap of faith, it's just plain lunacy. Have you ever read the bible? Most notably the Old Testament, with it's seemingly high regard for "Expiation" by spilling innocent blood to appease god. I have no problem whatsoever with people using the bible for inspiration, I, an Atheist have even drawn some inspiration from it. The problems start when people cherry-pick verses to ATTACK others, that's when it becomes nothing more than a how-to on bigotry and close-mindedness.
Lol

Norton, VA

#15 Feb 28, 2013
Just explain other religions to me, and I'll let it go. Whether you "Christians" believe this or not, every other religion is looking at you the same way you do them, they are right, you are wrong. Every person in every religion believes that theirs is the "real" one, hence them choosing that religion. Along with Reaper, I was raised by devout Baptists, and they are all hypocrites to me. "God loves all of his children.." EXCEPT "the homosexuals, beings who intercourse out of wedlock, divorcees.. ect."
90% of marriage ends in divorce. Marriage, a CHRISTIAN belief. My grandma RUNS a church and has been married 5 times. I don't want to hear any of your bible thumping bull crap. You are all hypocrites. And DO NOT attack me for my opinion. I have no religion, I believe in the possibility of a higher power, and if we were supposed to know about it, we would, but we don't, therefor, we're not supposed to. like, Sir, Believer, you realize your statement was literally enough to make the pope swear. I've never seen so much hypocrisy in one short paragraph. You'd rather be a believer and be wrong? What if the muslims are right? You sir, are banished for eternity for practicing the wrong religion and praising the wrong god.. Think about that one for a minute.
Truth

Charlotte, NC

#16 Mar 1, 2013
ReaperDragon wrote:
<quoted text>
So I take it you're of the belief that the universe is only 6000 to 8000 years old? So you're basically saying that the bible is the ONLY truthful writing in human history? You're completely disregarding Chinese texts that go back further than 6000 years? Or Sumerian texts that predate those Chinese texts? I totally agree the bible is a great example of human ingenuity, but to take it word for word as total truth is more than a leap of faith, it's just plain lunacy. Have you ever read the bible? Most notably the Old Testament, with it's seemingly high regard for "Expiation" by spilling innocent blood to appease god. I have no problem whatsoever with people using the bible for inspiration, I, an Atheist have even drawn some inspiration from it. The problems start when people cherry-pick verses to ATTACK others, that's when it becomes nothing more than a how-to on bigotry and close-mindedness.
Scientists use carbon dating as their "hard evidence" in aging objects....even though it is so inaccurate, it wouldn't be acceptable in a court of law. However, since its considered the "standard" aging science, we'll use it. Do you realize if the same science to age the earth based on carbon dissipation in the atmoshphere, which is its most accurate use by the way, the earth proves to be less than 30,000 years old. You'll never hear that advertised, because scientists would have to start accepting other theories. The research has been done though and is available to those search for it. Add in new sciences such as computer science and mathematical science and the big bang and evolution have been utterly destroyed. Again, look it up. The evidence is available. Even geologists are recognizing the young age of rocks with further advancements in their methods. Look up pullonium halos. What does all this mean? Nothing. Only Satan cares if we argue the age of the earth or not. It's a distraction to keep us away from the true message of the gospel.

Now, if you turned away from Christianity due to faulty humans, or hypocrites as you describe, that's both sad and a mistake. Jesus commands us to live as He did, not as other people do. Christians make mistakes just like anyone else. We can be tempted and we often give in. If you're looking for a perfect person to follow, you'll never find him. Jesus was the only example. We are also commanded to forgive our brothers and sisters who stumble. Help them back up and back on track. We are forgiven for sin....not immune to it. Jesus is the way the truth and the life.

If you insist, I can show you many examples of science in the Bible thousands of years before human scientists even knew they existed or even opened their minds to the possibility of such. Here is an easy question for evolutionists: both male and female had to evolve from one organism. If one organism was able to reproduce, why did nature feel the need to evolve two separate sexes? And if you believe in evolution, you have no choice but to accept homosexuality as a negative genetic defect as it holds no benefit for the continuation of a species. In fact, it creates a high risk for diseases that endanger the entire species. So, why not attempt to cure it instead of encouraging it? Political correctness should not be allowed to dictate the survival of our species.

Location hidden

#17 Mar 1, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Scientists use carbon dating as their "hard evidence" in aging objects....even though it is so inaccurate, it wouldn't be acceptable in a court of law. However, since its considered the "standard" aging science, we'll use it. Do you realize if the same science to age the earth based on carbon dissipation in the atmoshphere, which is its most accurate use by the way, the earth proves to be less than 30,000 years old. You'll never hear that advertised, because scientists would have to start accepting other theories. The research has been done though and is available to those search for it. Add in new sciences such as computer science and mathematical science and the big bang and evolution have been utterly destroyed. Again, look it up. The evidence is available. Even geologists are recognizing the young age of rocks with further advancements in their methods. Look up pullonium halos. What does all this mean? Nothing. Only Satan cares if we argue the age of the earth or not. It's a distraction to keep us away from the true message of the gospel.
Now, if you turned away from Christianity due to faulty humans, or hypocrites as you describe, that's both sad and a mistake. Jesus commands us to live as He did, not as other people do. Christians make mistakes just like anyone else. We can be tempted and we often give in. If you're looking for a perfect person to follow, you'll never find him. Jesus was the only example. We are also commanded to forgive our brothers and sisters who stumble. Help them back up and back on track. We are forgiven for sin....not immune to it. Jesus is the way the truth and the life.
If you insist, I can show you many examples of science in the Bible thousands of years before human scientists even knew they existed or even opened their minds to the possibility of such. Here is an easy question for evolutionists: both male and female had to evolve from one organism. If one organism was able to reproduce, why did nature feel the need to evolve two separate sexes? And if you believe in evolution, you have no choice but to accept homosexuality as a negative genetic defect as it holds no benefit for the continuation of a species. In fact, it creates a high risk for diseases that endanger the entire species. So, why not attempt to cure it instead of encouraging it? Political correctness should not be allowed to dictate the survival of our species.
You just made yourself look very very stupid. Saying Earth is less than 30,000 years old, in the face of so much evidence that it is impossible isn't a leap of faith, it's lunacy. How can anyone say that while taking in the beauty this planet has to offer? Take our mountain ranges here in south-west Virginia, it took hundreds of thousands of years for these mountain formations to get to this level, and still, humans, in all their glorious ignorance still think a flood did that. The landscape we see today, was forged in fire, not water, and it sure as hell didn't happen 8000 years ago. This universe is much older than either you or I can fathom. Humans need to take several thousand steps back, stop being so self-centered, and stop thinking that the universe revolves around us. We are insignificant specs in the grand scheme of things, this universe has no idea we even exist, and will not miss us once we are extinct. Humans, unfortunately can't see the forest, for all the trees...As far as the "Big Bang Theory", I don't buy that one either, so at least we can agree on that. But I will never agree that some white guy wearing a robe created the entire universe 8000 years ago, because that "Theory" is just as ludicrous.
Acquaintance

Kingsport, TN

#18 Mar 1, 2013
ReaperDragon wrote:
<quoted text>
You just made yourself look very very stupid. Saying Earth is less than 30,000 years old, in the face of so much evidence that it is impossible isn't a leap of faith, it's lunacy. How can anyone say that while taking in the beauty this planet has to offer? Take our mountain ranges here in south-west Virginia, it took hundreds of thousands of years for these mountain formations to get to this level, and still, humans, in all their glorious ignorance still think a flood did that. The landscape we see today, was forged in fire, not water, and it sure as hell didn't happen 8000 years ago. This universe is much older than either you or I can fathom. Humans need to take several thousand steps back, stop being so self-centered, and stop thinking that the universe revolves around us. We are insignificant specs in the grand scheme of things, this universe has no idea we even exist, and will not miss us once we are extinct. Humans, unfortunately can't see the forest, for all the trees...As far as the "Big Bang Theory", I don't buy that one either, so at least we can agree on that. But I will never agree that some white guy wearing a robe created the entire universe 8000 years ago, because that "Theory" is just as ludicrous.
90% of rock on earth is sedementary rock. Which is created by....water. People need to start evaluating scientific studies themselves instead of swallowing everything "scientists" feed them. Computer and mathematical sciences have already concluded that even if evolution were true, there simply has not been enough time to go from primordial slime to human...even over 6 billion years. Scientists know that the very simplest life forms require oxygen....which was not present during the age of such slime. When Darwin came up with his theory, he thought that the cell was a simple gellatonous ball of proteins. He even stated that if it were anything more, his own theory would hold no water. We now know that it takes 30000 precise combinations of proteins arranged in specific order to create even one single strand of DNA, much less a single cell. When the odds are calculated, there is more likelihood of three generations of men hitting the powerball jackpot every day of their lives than the odds it would take to line up the correct combinations of genetic material to create a single cell, much less evolve it to the current state. Evolutionary science is grasping at straws while liing outright to the world. Why? Because the more science seeks to disprove an intelligent creator, the more they realize the improbability of such a complex world without one.

Location hidden

#19 Mar 1, 2013
Acquaintance wrote:
<quoted text>
90% of rock on earth is sedementary rock. Which is created by....water. People need to start evaluating scientific studies themselves instead of swallowing everything "scientists" feed them. Computer and mathematical sciences have already concluded that even if evolution were true, there simply has not been enough time to go from primordial slime to human...even over 6 billion years. Scientists know that the very simplest life forms require oxygen....which was not present during the age of such slime. When Darwin came up with his theory, he thought that the cell was a simple gellatonous ball of proteins. He even stated that if it were anything more, his own theory would hold no water. We now know that it takes 30000 precise combinations of proteins arranged in specific order to create even one single strand of DNA, much less a single cell. When the odds are calculated, there is more likelihood of three generations of men hitting the powerball jackpot every day of their lives than the odds it would take to line up the correct combinations of genetic material to create a single cell, much less evolve it to the current state. Evolutionary science is grasping at straws while liing outright to the world. Why? Because the more science seeks to disprove an intelligent creator, the more they realize the improbability of such a complex world without one.
That's why they call them "Theories" and not "Facts", your creation "Theory" is just that, a theory. You cannot say for certain that a white man in a robe created everything 8000 years ago, just like I cannot say with certainty that humans evolved from lesser organisms. We simply do not know where we derived from. What we do know, is that this planet is far older than 8000 years old, that is a fact, not a "Theory".

I'm going to quote you here, "Scientists know that the very simplest life forms require oxygen". Wrong. Anaerobes do not necessarily need oxygen. If you've ever had or know someone who has had a staph infection (Staphylococcus) and the E. coli virus are life forms that do not require oxygen to survive. I would also like to point out that the similarities between Creationism and the Big Bang Theory are abundant, to the point where they complement each other very well.
Well

Roanoke, VA

#20 Mar 1, 2013
. God is real due to facts that men on this Earth can't prove and people go to insane asylums trying to understand it all. Some things cannot be understood and aren't meant to be. I KNOW He loves me. He healed my niece of cancer, He has lifted up the lame and allowed them to walk. I follow that old time religion and Im telling you that God allows the unrighteous to have their smiles and fun down here cause that's all they are ever gonna get and He is THAT merciful to you, the one who is denying His or Her own Father and He WILL deny you when that day comes. My God has never left me without and He can do the same for you. People don't know what they are missing out on. I am not trying to put anyone down, I am trying to get you to see what God is..He isn't all this arguing..He is love. Why are you soooo obsessed with why we believe? You are the one who is all for oh let everyone believe what they want and everyone should accept it, why are you on here?? Apparently you're trying to find out why you don't..and that's fine because in the end, you can't help it... EVERY knee WILL now EVERY tongue WILL confess that Jesus Christ is King of Kings and Lord of Lords. You have the opportunity to join the winning side before its too late. And you say you have suffered persecution?? You haven't even begun to know what persecution is!! You're not worthy to even call it that...MY JESUS suffered persecution. I have the deepest sadness in my heart with a small amount of anger for the person who started this...you have a chance to be somebody who's endlessly loved by the Father of fathers. You have a chance to feel like you're breathing for the first time and the chance to look forward to tomorrow and to NEEEEVVVEEER fear death.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wise Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
let it be known must read!!!! 5 hr BBQ Man 4
sasquatch 8 hr Jordan Adams 1
Where did Cindy Vanover go? 15 hr just asking 4
maddie kincer what do u think about that hoe!?!? (Jan '11) 18 hr Ha Ha 26
Orphanage Wise Wed just curious 1
Sally Bryant drug dealing Narc May 20 gross 4
Who's the new girl at Southern Steel?? May 20 jusstinn 5
More from around the web

Wise People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE