Walker defends proposed school cuts

Walker defends proposed school cuts

There are 4 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Mar 17, 2011, titled Walker defends proposed school cuts. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Gov. Scott Walker called together school superintendents Wednesday to bolster support for his budget proposal that cuts 8 percent of state aid to districts and reduces their ability to make up the difference through property taxes.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

Laura Veras Marran

Kenosha, WI

#1 Mar 17, 2011
As a teacher of young children with disabilities, I want to thank you for exposing one of Walker's may lies. He claimed on numerous occasions that districts are forced to use WEA Trust as the sole insurance provider. As your article states, 35 percent of districts in our state already choose another carrier, and 65 percent of all public school employees are covered by another carrier (some districts use more than one carrier). Therefore, the collective bargaining piece was NOT meant to give districts more flexibility. Simply put, it was meant to crush unions as a means of cutting off funds to Democratic candidates, specifically hurting President Barack Obama's upcoming re-election bid. The national GOP finally found a governor willing to dismantle education, yank healthcare from seniors and the poorest of the poor and do so much other damage in order to be just a cog in their scheme. The people you see surrounding the Capitol week after week are just a fraction of those Wisconsinites smart enough to figure that out.
rED

Milwaukee, WI

#2 Mar 17, 2011
Laura Veras Marran wrote:
As a teacher of young children with disabilities, I want to thank you for exposing one of Walker's may lies. He claimed on numerous occasions that districts are forced to use WEA Trust as the sole insurance provider. As your article states, 35 percent of districts in our state already choose another carrier, and 65 percent of all public school employees are covered by another carrier (some districts use more than one carrier). Therefore, the collective bargaining piece was NOT meant to give districts more flexibility. Simply put, it was meant to crush unions as a means of cutting off funds to Democratic candidates, specifically hurting President Barack Obama's upcoming re-election bid. The national GOP finally found a governor willing to dismantle education, yank healthcare from seniors and the poorest of the poor and do so much other damage in order to be just a cog in their scheme. The people you see surrounding the Capitol week after week are just a fraction of those Wisconsinites smart enough to figure that out.
yES, Laura I agree with you ... I dont want my tax dollars being used to fund Democratic candidates ... thanks for bringing that to my attention ...
hedleylamarr

Canton, MI

#3 Mar 18, 2011
it isnt tax dollars,its union money, that money that you say you so desperately need yet you blindly give to a union that does little for you and takes the millioms it receives and gives to candidates that you do not support.

no he went after the unions so that the taxpayers are not being made to give teachers and others raises with no accountability, so teachers and others who have poor performers can be fired. I do not get a raise or bonus unless I do great work, out of 20 in my section only 3 got bonuses , I was one. you should not get a raise because the union says that you should. you need to deserve it. its time that you all get with the private sector employees that you say make so much more than you, yeah come on try it, you will find its not what you think it is.
UAW Member

Saint Paul, MN

#4 Mar 18, 2011
Walker for Pres 2012

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wisconsin Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Former Irving School House in Wisconsin Rapids (Jan '10) Apr '15 TBM 16
News Wisconsin Rapids United Way to Provide Free Cel... (Jul '14) Apr '15 Almost amish 2
Pacific International (Apr '06) Jan '15 More Cowbell 113
News Joshua Allen 'Josh' Halverson (Sep '10) Dec '14 Mike 3
Review: Prybuy.com (Aug '11) Aug '14 Jim S 5
Angela Schlangenhaft (Jun '14) Jun '14 Smarts 1
Local Politics Do you approve of Julie Lassa as State Senator? (Oct '12) Apr '14 Lori 3
More from around the web

Wisconsin Rapids People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]