Jehovah's Witnesses: Christmas celebr...

Jehovah's Witnesses: Christmas celebrations don't honor Jesus

There are 230 comments on the WisInfo story from Dec 4, 2010, titled Jehovah's Witnesses: Christmas celebrations don't honor Jesus. In it, WisInfo reports that:

Editor's note: Following is the first part in a December series about local faith communities.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WisInfo.

First Prev
of 12
Next Last
AuroraMom

Aurora, IL

#1 Dec 4, 2010
NO, Christmas does honor Jesus, and Jehovah's Witnesses worship and honor only the WBTS.

Christmas is a holiday that brings family and friends together, Jehovah's Witnesses are isolated from anyone but other Jehovah's Witnesses.

This is how all cults operate.

Jehovah's Witnesses are not Christian and do not follow Christ's teachings.
jumper

Morgantown, KY

#2 Dec 4, 2010
The Jehovah faith, as I heard from a group of them that came to my house for some reason,is the Christmas tree and all the holiday singing and stuff was Pagen practices introduced by the Roman Cathilic Church.

But I think they are a off-shoot the Seventh day adventist.
ABC

Hialeah, FL

#4 Dec 5, 2010
You don't have to be a witness to know the history behind Christmas. If you still want to celebrate Christmas that is a decision that every person has to make, but don't ignore the truth behind it. Christmas is a pagan holiday. It is not a Jehovahs Witness thing. It's history is open to the public. The following website explains clearly the history behind it.
http://www.thehistoryofchristmas.com/ch/befor...
In the Scriptures our Heavenly father states in 1 Corinthians 6:14,17-18 "Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?...17Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you.
18And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty."
(King James Version) Go to www.biblegateway.com to compare with other versions if you like.
If you want to get together with family and friends it is absolutely fine with God. A man made holiday that honors false gods does not have to be a reason to do so.
Shadow

Grove City, OH

#5 Dec 6, 2010
Actualy many of the christmas traditions were borrowed from pagan practices, I should know I'm a Wiccan, and christmas is pretty similer to our yule. Ours is just on the 21 and deals with the rebirth of our god.

And I welcome anyone of any faith including Jehovah's Witnesses. Don't be so judgemental
Amara

Pryor, OK

#6 Dec 6, 2010
Jehovah's witnesses only isolate themselves from any association with ex-witnesses, in Jehovah's eyes they are being disciplined to repentance.

They believe they are in the right, so be it, our command from the Bible is to not even greet a person who is a rebel, or eat with them.

(1 John 2:19-20). . .They went out from us, but they were not of our sort; for if they had been of our sort, they would have remained with us. But [they went out] that it might be shown up that not all are of our sort.

(1 Corinthians 5:11-12) 11 But now I am writing YOU to quit mixing in company with anyone called a brother that is a fornicator or a greedy person or an idolater or a reviler or a drunkard or an extortioner, not even eating with such a man.
jumper

Morgantown, KY

#7 Dec 6, 2010
The world is a vampire.

“Gods love ... poured out”

Since: Dec 06

Sacramento

#8 Dec 6, 2010
Amara wrote:
Jehovah's witnesses only isolate themselves from any association with ex-witnesses, in Jehovah's eyes they are being disciplined to repentance.
They believe they are in the right, so be it, our command from the Bible is to not even greet a person who is a rebel, or eat with them.
(1 John 2:19-20). . .They went out from us, but they were not of our sort; for if they had been of our sort, they would have remained with us. But [they went out] that it might be shown up that not all are of our sort.
(1 Corinthians 5:11-12) 11 But now I am writing YOU to quit mixing in company with anyone called a brother that is a fornicator or a greedy person or an idolater or a reviler or a drunkard or an extortioner, not even eating with such a man.
"They believe they are in the right, so be it, our command from the Bible is to not even greet a person who is a rebel, or eat with them.

(1 John 2:19-20)...They went out from us, but they were not of our sort; for if they had been of our sort, they would have remained with us. But [they went out] that it might be shown up that not all are of our sort."

So, that scripture applies to CT Russell as he left the Presbyterians? and, the Seventh Day Adventists?

How about you? what religion did you "go away from"?

How about the many JWs who left other religions? I guess that scripture applies to all of them, therefore they are rebels and deserve to be shunned.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#9 Dec 6, 2010
ABC wrote:
You don't have to be a witness to know the history behind Christmas. If you still want to celebrate Christmas that is a decision that every person has to make, but don't ignore the truth behind it. Christmas is a pagan holiday. It is not a Jehovahs Witness thing. It's history is open to the public. The following website explains clearly the history behind it.
In the Scriptures our Heavenly father states in 1 Corinthians 6:14,17-18 "Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?...17Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you.
18And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty."
(King James Version) Go to www.biblegateway.com to compare with other versions if you like.
If you want to get together with family and friends it is absolutely fine with God. A man made holiday that honors false gods does not have to be a reason to do so.
. That is Your judgement.. Tell us.. when do those ..that for what ever reason ..have family members living far off..When the only time off from a normal job... is a bloomin holiday of the world.. Get together?? And don't tell me ..vacation time.. As that generally isn't cordinated with everyones work schedule..
Nor is a vaction a given..in all jobs..
Midge

Greenville, OH

#10 Dec 6, 2010
jumper wrote:
The Jehovah faith, as I heard from a group of them that came to my house for some reason,is the Christmas tree and all the holiday singing and stuff was Pagen practices introduced by the Roman Cathilic Church.
But I think they are a off-shoot the Seventh day adventist.
Midge>
No, we are not an "offshoot" of 7th Day Adventists. Our brothers, when they were searching for truth among the existing denominations then available, did explore that faith, and had many discussions with others in that faith. However, just because one or a few of our beliefs agree with them does not make us an "offshoot". Some of our beliefs also coincide with Protestant and Catholic beliefs, too, at least according to the Catholic Encyclopedia, but we are not an "offshoot" of them, either.

The goal of our brothers was to search the Bible and diligently study it so as to find in its pages "the Way" the first century followers of Christ believed and lived, and we have done that.

But as to the history of Christmas/holidays, look at it for yourself: these are readily available on the internet and in libraries, from whence I am writing this, so there is no excuse to NOT know their history. How can one make an intelligent decision as to whether or not God approves of them if you do not compare what the first century Christians believed with what is done in religions today?

It doesn't take long to find the information. Below is a site that describes the many customs in all their gory and un-Christian detail:

http://www.simpletoremember.com/vitals/Christ...
Midge

Greenville, OH

#11 Dec 6, 2010
Maravilla wrote:
<quoted text>
. That is Your judgement.. Tell us.. when do those ..that for what ever reason ..have family members living far off..When the only time off from a normal job... is a bloomin holiday of the world.. Get together?? And don't tell me ..vacation time.. As that generally isn't cordinated with everyones work schedule..
Nor is a vaction a given..in all jobs..
Midge: Something else that's not a "given in all jobs" is pay enough to cover long trips.

One time, before I learned to swim, some JW friends invited me to a "swimming party" at a closed hotel where a JW friend worked as a life guard, on Christmas day. We were not celebrating Christmas, but some of us provided music, we had fun swimming, and most of us brought some kind of food.
So, tell me, Maravilla...do you think that just because a person has several days of holiday vacation and goes to visit relatives and friends that they are celebrating Christmas?:)
I hope you're not that naive. I mean, it's not like we have the power to tear Dec. 25 off the calendar and not live that day.
:)
Amara

Pryor, OK

#12 Dec 6, 2010
The Holiday Season is stressful enough on families and their get togethers and gift exchanging, they don't need or want the witnesses around to put a damper on the holiday spirit.

Jehovah's witnesses don't view Christmas as the day of Santa Claus or Jesus, it is just another day of the week to them. You shouldn't have to tell a witness to stay away, and you shouldn't want them there.

About obeying the Bible to avoid a rebel, if the shoe fits, wear it.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#13 Dec 6, 2010
Midge wrote:
<quoted text>
Midge: Something else that's not a "given in all jobs" is pay enough to cover long trips.
One time, before I learned to swim, some JW friends invited me to a "swimming party" at a closed hotel where a JW friend worked as a life guard, on Christmas day. We were not celebrating Christmas, but some of us provided music, we had fun swimming, and most of us brought some kind of food.
So, tell me, Maravilla...do you think that just because a person has several days of holiday vacation and goes to visit relatives and friends that they are celebrating Christmas?:)
I hope you're not that naive. I mean, it's not like we have the power to tear Dec. 25 off the calendar and not live that day.
:)
Have you NOT read my post?? The fact is that I don't think getting together is wrong. but many of the JW's I knew did.. And I knew some that visited at that time of the year to check and see if people has decorations up .. WHY ..do I say this??? Because when they never bothered to visit the rest of the year.. their visit stood out.. As fake.. Do you get the jist... If they really cared ..they would have also visited other times of the year.. It wasn't as if they didn't live near by.. Think about it .:)

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#14 Dec 6, 2010
What some people are either unaware of, or ignore...is that Catholics are the ones largely responsible for the date, and the celebrations that go with Christmas. There is very little if anything religious about it.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#15 Dec 6, 2010
Nomi wrote:
What some people are either unaware of, or ignore...is that Catholics are the ones largely responsible for the date, and the celebrations that go with Christmas. There is very little if anything religious about it.
The only bells that ring this time of year are cash register bells.
shaun

Tacoma, WA

#16 Dec 6, 2010
Nomi wrote:
You stupid snakeplayer!!! Go back to sleep!!! What a stupid idiotic liar fake you've turned out to be!!! The only thing that seems you are unaware of IS EVERYTHING!!!
jumper

Morgantown, KY

#18 Dec 6, 2010
Midge wrote:
<quoted text>
Midge>
No, we are not an "offshoot" of 7th Day Adventists. Our brothers, when they were searching for truth among the existing denominations then available, did explore that faith, and had many discussions with others in that faith. However, just because one or a few of our beliefs agree with them does not make us an "offshoot". Some of our beliefs also coincide with Protestant and Catholic beliefs, too, at least according to the Catholic Encyclopedia, but we are not an "offshoot" of them, either.
The goal of our brothers was to search the Bible and diligently study it so as to find in its pages "the Way" the first century followers of Christ believed and lived, and we have done that.
But as to the history of Christmas/holidays, look at it for yourself: these are readily available on the internet and in libraries, from whence I am writing this, so there is no excuse to NOT know their history. How can one make an intelligent decision as to whether or not God approves of them if you do not compare what the first century Christians believed with what is done in religions today?
It doesn't take long to find the information. Below is a site that describes the many customs in all their gory and un-Christian detail:
http://www.simpletoremember.com/vitals/Christ...
My regrets.

I did not wish to insult your 'Brothers' as you call them.

I need no curse placed upon my household.

-Jumper

Dictated not read.

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#19 Dec 6, 2010
ABC wrote:
The question of whether Christmas is pagan enters into the idea of cultural practices. Some have made the assertion that Christmas has pagan origins. Christmas does not have pagan origins, but there are winter celebrations that are pagan. There was, for example, a saturnal celebration around the time of Christmas that pagans celebrated, which was actually a temptation for Christians to participate in that had pagan content to it. So the church changed the day that they celebrated the birth of Christ. They used to celebrate it in the Spring. But the church said, "We can celebrate it any time we want. Let's celebrate it at the same time the pagans are celebrating their pagan festival. It'll act as a contrast to that pagan festival because our celebration is the birth of the God-man, Jesus Christ. It has Biblical content. Plus it will protect Christians from being wooed away by this other celebration to participate in what was a pagan celebration".

more here:
http://www.str.org/site/News2...

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#20 Dec 6, 2010
Nomi wrote:
Not to me Nomi, when I celebrate Christmas, I am honoring Jesus, He is our Lord and Savior, and every chance I get, I WILL honor Him.
Shadow

Grove City, OH

#21 Dec 7, 2010
shaun wrote:
<quoted text>You stupid snakeplayer!!! Go back to sleep!!! What a stupid idiotic liar fake you've turned out to be!!! The only thing that seems you are unaware of IS EVERYTHING!!!
Dude calm down, it is true but that doesn't mean your religion is being targeted. The church borrowed many Pagan practices, including for Christmas.

Which means we arn't so different.
Shadow

Grove City, OH

#22 Dec 7, 2010
hollieberry wrote:
<quoted text>
The question of whether Christmas is pagan enters into the idea of cultural practices. Some have made the assertion that Christmas has pagan origins. Christmas does not have pagan origins, but there are winter celebrations that are pagan. There was, for example, a saturnal celebration around the time of Christmas that pagans celebrated, which was actually a temptation for Christians to participate in that had pagan content to it. So the church changed the day that they celebrated the birth of Christ. They used to celebrate it in the Spring. But the church said, "We can celebrate it any time we want. Let's celebrate it at the same time the pagans are celebrating their pagan festival. It'll act as a contrast to that pagan festival because our celebration is the birth of the God-man, Jesus Christ. It has Biblical content. Plus it will protect Christians from being wooed away by this other celebration to participate in what was a pagan celebration".
more here:
http://www.str.org/site/News2...
Do you have somthing against Pagans? Cus I'm getting that impression.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 12
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wisconsin Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Pacific International (Apr '06) Feb 11 grandma1 117
News APNewsBreak: $4M for tiny Wisconsin airport nea... Sep '17 Covfefe 2
News Nekoosa officer dragged by car, leads to car chase (Jul '17) Jul '17 heumanbean 1
Former Irving School House in Wisconsin Rapids (Jan '10) Aug '16 Bergy 22
News Pat, left, and Brad Pavloski were honored as As... (Nov '08) Jun '16 CastleRockAnglers... 2
Review: Prybuy.com (Aug '11) Jan '16 sam 6
News Wisconsin Rapids United Way to Provide Free Cel... (Jul '14) Apr '15 Almost amish 2

Wisconsin Rapids Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Wisconsin Rapids Mortgages