New immigration rules are affecting W...

New immigration rules are affecting Wisconsin Dells

There are 15 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from May 25, 2008, titled New immigration rules are affecting Wisconsin Dells. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Some Wisconsin Dells employers are facing an international labor shortage this summer because of changes to a national temporary guest-worker program and the weak American dollar.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

Brittanicus

Palm Springs, CA

#1 May 25, 2008
The fact is parasite employers have no restrictions on their hires, they just want somebody who will work for less and no questions asked. Under the table specially, with no health care (taxpayers will pay for that?) No workers compensation, just a sub-standard wage. Illegal workers are not even cemented in to pay state or federal taxes. One of the biggest culprits is the farmer. Having to go through the hassle to get guest workers, as with applying to the Department of Labor. It is so much easier, to get and exploit illegal foreign nationals. If they hire subject guest workers under contract they must have transportation to pick up migrant workers, edible food and livable housing. They must also keep accurate records of wages and hours, which they do not like. hence they like to hire illegal cheap labor, that are not involved in the guest worker program.
NUMBERSUSA for unsuppressed details
WindyGOPguy

Baltimore, MD

#2 May 25, 2008
I don't think the good people of the Dells are gonna be happy lininig up for their summer water entertainment only to be greeted by someone from Nepal with little knowledge of American culture. This is just nuts and seems to me to be another example of an American employer trying to get around the rules, or at least the spirit of the laws..

I just read the new book "Legal US Immigration: Truth, Fraud and the American Way" by Adam Edward Rothwell, an immigration lawyer, and I couldn't believe how much fraud there is in the system. And the book's website ( www.immigrationisamess.com ) says it all.
Harry

AOL

#3 May 26, 2008
What is that layer (misspelled on purpose) name????

Since: May 08

Chicago, IL

#4 May 26, 2008
Hmmmmm, heard about the Wisconsin Dells and picked up a brochure to read up on the hype here in Chicago. I'll be sure to avoid these Dells, whatever they may be, at all costs now.
Sarah

Bringhurst, IN

#5 May 26, 2008
As one of the locals I hope everyone stays home. Tourist season by far is nothing more than a headache for us.(this why they can not get employees locally)

However I would like to point out that no farmers hire these workers.
Most of our illegals are workers that came here on contract and simply didn't go home. Most are from eastern Europe.

I was happy to read the number allowed is down this year.
Oh and another wrong view is the pay--these workers are not stupid and they get paid a wage like everyone else. They also come with an enormous anti-American attitude.

Now that's not to say that some employers don't rip off these workers--they do. How? With housing. These kids pay outrages prices for a bunk and they are stacked ceiling high.

But the workers learn fast and break their contracts and find other work and apt.
I live in the Dells and worked here for 20 yrs and I have never understood the appeal.

The Dells should be called the great American rip off. Its great for a day trip to take the kids but spend a week???

Please stay home..........
Durendal55

Chanhassen, MN

#6 May 27, 2008
I wish these stories about immigration would tell the whole story. First, there is little mention of the fact that in years past the H2A Program promised an almost unlimited supply of Seasonal Workers for Resorts and Farmers if there were no American Workers to be found. But because of the easy access to Illegal Immigrants not so many people used the program. Now that enforcement is happening and Illegal Immigration is being curtailed, the Democrat controlled Congress, in their infinite wisdom decided that they should not allow the expanded H2A Program to be renewed. Effectively they are holding hostage legal channels to get Seasonal Workers in order to try to force "comprehensive reform". So why has Congress decided to curtail legal means for people to come to the U.S. and work? Sounds a lot our Congress is the one breaking the system and trying to fool us into thinking Illegal Immigrants need to be given amnesty.
Angel

Elkhorn, WI

#7 Aug 6, 2008
Well, what makes me mad is that you go to a restaruant in the Dells and your order is all messed up by the time you get because of the foreigners lack of English, but most of our workers come from Mexico and Central America, only in the summer do you see Europeans.
Bill Owl

Belgium, WI

#8 Aug 9, 2008
I was in the Dells last Sunday....and comparing to other years...it was pretty SLOW there , not many people. HEY , but still the frustrations of dealing with FOREIGN workers and HIGH OUTRAGEOUS PRICES !!! was GLAD to GET OUT of THERE !!!
Tsvety

Baraboo, WI

#9 Feb 13, 2010
The employers in the Dells are participating in a college student exchange program. Let`s not forget that these students are here to learn English and they are highly educated. Almost all of the jobs they do don`t require much knowledge of the language. I agree the more the better. But I give credit to these employers for bringing international students because it helps the American people learn more about other cultures and gives the opportunity to the international students to learn more about America. Unfortunatelly, sometimes they are not treated well from the American people. They feel they are being treated as a "second class" and they take these feelings back to their country.
English is their second, third or fourth language. How many Americans know a second language? I live in the Dells area and I can tell you- almost none. But this is one of the problems, too. The less you know about how hard it is to learn a foreign language and get the accent correct, the less understanding you will have about the people who tried.
On the other hand- the Dells employers participated in other programs trying to get more American people to come and work in the Dells for the summer. But they couldn`t get the necessary number. These employers really need more help and bringing international students over became a great solution.
It has been a great experience for all of us in the Dells. More American people who live in the area are travelling abroad. We learned more about the live here and created great international friendships. The Dells now has a wonderfully mixed international enviroment and creating similar enviroments around the US could help a lot in the US goverment`s attempts for stable international relationships around the world.
johnny

Baraboo, WI

#11 Feb 13, 2010
ok, i do agree with some of the opinions here, but let's see from my point off view (being a illegal alien like some say):
WE (the foreign students) did not came here in Wisconsin Dells just to be treated like garbage (that is from some of you) or something like this, we came to learn and study America, and if one of us does not know how to speak very good English that doesn't mean we are all the same()look at me for example, i finished 1 school, 1 high-school, 1 college,1 master in degree and i still started another college, so i am not that dumb)) and we are still humans not something else and we do not ask much from you, just to treat us almost like you. But this does not mean i wanna defend all the idiots students that can't get the English in their heads or do stupid stuff because they say "we can"( i know is wrong how i said this,but is real)
We only ask for a chance from you, to prove we can be good in almost everything or in something ( i came in America 2 years ago and from a simple housekeeper i became to be almost like a manager at an hotel and from a simple host at a restaurant i became an assistant manager, i had 2 jobs and i still do)
mike

Luxemburg, WI

#12 Feb 16, 2010
i serve this country with pride.it is my country and i appreciate it more than a foreign citizen ever would.it is so natural to love your authentic home,instead of going to another country just to pretend because the last country didnt work out.
speak english or stay home.the us dollar works here.people that are not us born citizens will never tell the people of america what to do because
it is our country.we will find you and flush you out.you come here to work.when you leave,nothing goes with you.have fun!
Monk

Queen Creek, AZ

#13 Aug 21, 2011
What I can see from this discussion is just regretfully proves one thing: a lot of local Wisconsin residents have a limited knowledge of the outer world, some of them never left the state.

That`s why they assume they are smarter and can tell everyone on the planet what to do or how to behave.The funny part is they also consider themselves a backbone of the country just because they happened to be born in USA, but not on the
No-name island.

Accept the other way of life, the healthy criticism, be happy and enjoy the life!
FIRESTARTER

Glendale Heights, IL

#14 Aug 23, 2011
Wisconsin residents have never left the state because they are a bunch of complete Idiots! They would never survive anywhere else. I have seen it first hand...Slutty women and their slutty daughters that they raise to become just like mommy. Baraboo is one of the worst!
FIRESTARTER

Glendale Heights, IL

#15 Aug 23, 2011
oh and lets not forget Portage and Sturtevant too!
Storm Warning

Sparta, WI

#16 Aug 30, 2011
[QUOTE who="Monk"
Accept the other way of life, the healthy criticism, be happy and enjoy the life![/QUOTE] Ignorance is bliss

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wisconsin Dells Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
looking for my half brother seth allen miller (Aug '08) Jun 15 Dave Prust facebook 7
Any Dells area Mobile Homes for sale ???? (Sep '06) May '16 Ellord 33
tell trump hes Apr '16 vote ted cruz 1
Ted Cruz Exposed, watch the Video. then Vote Apr '16 Vote For Trump 1
ladys say trump done Apr '16 Vote For Trump 2
Ted Cruz Revealed, Watch Video, then Vote Apr '16 Vote For Trump 1
Corrupt Wisconsin Dells Cops (Jun '09) Apr '16 Shameful 74

Wisconsin Dells Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Wisconsin Dells Mortgages