Stony Brook halts use of live animals in training -

Full story: Newsday 14
Stony Brook University medical students will no longer observe a surgical training course at Winthrop-University Hospital in Mineola that involved the use of live pigs after objections were raised that the ... Read more
Go Vegan

United States

#1 Aug 8, 2007
Go Vegan! Go Vegan! Go Vegan! Go Vegan! Go Vegan! Go Vegan! Go Vegan! Go Vegan! Go Vegan! Go Vegan! Go Vegan! Go Vegan! Go Vegan! Go Vegan! Go Vegan! Go Vegan! Go Vegan! Go Vegan! Go Vegan! Go Vegan! Go Vegan! Go Vegan! Go Vegan! Go Vegan! Go Vegan! Go Vegan! Go Vegan! Go Vegan! Go Vegan! Go Vegan! Go Vegan! Go Vegan! Go Vegan! Go Vegan! Go Vegan! Go Vegan! Go Vegan! Go Vegan! Go Vegan! Go Vegan! Go Vegan! Go Vegan! Go Vegan! Go Vegan! Go Vegan! Go Vegan! Go Vegan! Go Vegan! Go Vegan! Go Vegan! Go Vegan! Go Vegan! Go Vegan! Go Vegan! Go Vegan! Go Vegan! Go Vegan! Go Vegan! Go Vegan! Go Vegan! Go Vegan! Go Vegan! Go Vegan!
Jersey Girl

Jersey City, NJ

#2 Aug 9, 2007
The practice of using live animals in medical training is cruel and unnecessary. It is hard to believe that the option still exists, given recent technological advancements.
Fetcher

Greenlawn, NY

#3 Aug 9, 2007
Those who believe that using live animals in medical training is cruel and unnecessary should pledge to never have surgery or any other procedure performed by medical barbarians.

Those believing the opposite, that human life should be valued above swine, should put Stony Brook University and their graduates on the list of medical institutions and doctors to avoid.

How would you like to be the subject of the surgeons first attempt of a complex procedure? I'd much rather know that the best possible training and practice has been accomplished, whether it was done on pigs, or animal rights activists! ;-)
Achilles

Brooklyn, NY

#4 Aug 9, 2007
I for one would feel more secure knowing a doctor learned by "practicing" on real living tissue. After all, that's what I'm made from. What good is it to learn on a mannequin, cadaver or computer program; unless of course your patients are mannequins, cadavers and computer programs.
LI Parent

Bronx, NY

#5 Aug 10, 2007
The only way to learn a surgical procedure is on a living organism. A pig or dog is alot more like a human, then a plastic mannequin.

Hopefully it is not you, or one of your loved ones, in an emergency department needing a chest tube or trach, and the only ones the Dr. has done one on is a mannequin.
Socrates

Stony Brook, NY

#6 Aug 13, 2007
Don't blame Stony Brook. Blame PETA with their celebrity mouthpieces and the pressure these numbnuts put on Congress that then filter down to all aspects of Biomedical Research.
Ned

Hauppauge, NY

#7 Aug 13, 2007
Oh great, they're going to kill the animals before testing on them now?
fwiw

Pascagoula, MS

#8 Aug 13, 2007
Jersey Girl wrote:
The practice of using live animals in medical training is cruel and unnecessary. It is hard to believe that the option still exists, given recent technological advancements.
Cruel? Agreed.

Unnecessarty? PROVE IT!

“Spay and neuter your pet”

Since: Jul 07

Burnt Hills

#9 Aug 13, 2007
Achilles,LI Parent,Socrates - You all either didn't read the article or didn't comprehend it. The people who opposed this were the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine. They enlisted the help of the Bar Association for assistence of what is considered legal in the medical field. Medical students and doctors have a code of ethics to live by and obviously there was a discrepancy in which the way things were being done. Also Mannequins and computer simulations are usually the exact replica of a human or other animal. Apparently Achilles doesn't know the meaning of the word cadaver. It means a dead body and this is not the issue here. The issue is of using LIVE animals when there is alternatives that will provide the same results in testing. Cadavers are used in all aspects of the medical field and are very necessary. Live testing is not always necessary. With the technology that is available in todays world I would think that you would be glad for all the animals that no longer need to be unnecessarily tortured by the hands of man. Haven't they suffered enough?

Burnt Hills

#10 Aug 13, 2007
fwiw wrote:
<quoted text>
Cruel? Agreed.
Unnecessarty? PROVE IT!
When there are Physicians, doctors and scientists who say we now have the technology to use mannequins and computer simulation instead of live creatures and we can get the exact same results is when it becomes unnecessary. We use technology in all aspects of life all around the world, why not this? Please read up on this organization to educate yourself on why they do what they do. You may learn something.
LI Parent

Bronx, NY

#11 Aug 13, 2007
Norskejente:
The "Drs" who say the technological advancements make mannequins and live animals the same, are not the ones who do these procedures on real people for a living. I agree Stony Brook is not at fault here, it is PCRM and the Bar assoc.(Ha, yea they know something about medicine). I like animals, if you (or all the others who comment with no knowledge of what actually goes on) witnessed these trainings, the animals are under general anesthesia and the euthenized without ever waking up. I like animals.....I just like kids and Moms and Dads better.

Burnt Hills

#12 Aug 13, 2007
LI Parent wrote:
Norskejente:
The "Drs" who say the technological advancements make mannequins and live animals the same, are not the ones who do these procedures on real people for a living. I agree Stony Brook is not at fault here, it is PCRM and the Bar assoc.(Ha, yea they know something about medicine). I like animals, if you (or all the others who comment with no knowledge of what actually goes on) witnessed these trainings, the animals are under general anesthesia and the euthenized without ever waking up. I like animals.....I just like kids and Moms and Dads better.
Yep you can blame the PCRM for this and they'll gladly take the blame. That's what they do to acheive their objective. And that is higher standards in the medical field and that ethics are not compromised. As for these physicians not treating real people do you know this for sure. And aren't these doctors also out there teaching other doctors that will be treating real people. If these doctors are not qualified then why do they still have their degrees. Are you saying they don't know what they're talking about? These animals are also not always under anesthesia. Unfortunately my brother works in one of these labs and works very closely with hospitals. If the results are the same why would you object to such an advancement in the medical field. There are many people practicing to be doctors that are glad they don't have to work on animals that would have to be killed. They also find it easier and more productive, so why the argument. Remember they took a vow when they started their training and again it is to do no harm. They are in this professional to treat not to kill no matter what the species. Even in high schools where they use to disect frogs are now doing thing differently. Alot of kids object to this and asked to be exempt from this class. Why can't advanced technology benefit the animals as well?

Burnt Hills

#13 Aug 13, 2007
LI Parent wrote:
Norskejente:
Also the Bar association has lawyers that specialize in the medical field. There are all kinds of lawyers and who better to interpret the legal aspects of the laws in the medical profession. Or would you rather have a doctor that does what he wants or would you rather have one that has ethics, morals and high standards?
All About PCRM

East Meadow, NY

#14 Aug 14, 2007
Why listen to a choir member? Try this web site for an extensive look into this organization.

http://www.activistcash.com/organization_over...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Winthrop Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The new Copper Still Steakhouse 4 hr qtπ 6
Cop charged fatally shooting unarmed man twice ... 5 hr Electrical Engineer 6
Looking for Witness to the Fight at Ton's Last ... 6 hr potsdam man 7
Massena NY involved in 5 year Community Case St... 7 hr Methinks 2
Haunted St. Lawrence County (Feb '13) 13 hr PattyM 34
American Pickers to film in Massena next month 15 hr trinas secret lover 20
mall 16 hr Lol 7
Winthrop Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web