Package Gone within 30 minutes!

Package Gone within 30 minutes!

Posted in the Winthrop Forum

Beware Porch Thieves

Cambridge, MA

#1 Dec 5, 2012
Be careful folks! A package was left on my porch and within 30 minutes was taken!

The delivery person didn't ring the bell as he was supposed to.
Everett

Medford, MA

#2 Dec 5, 2012
Isn't this a great city we live in?
Everett Resident

Everett, MA

#3 Dec 5, 2012
UPS used to require a signature for a package, but no more sadly. As I drive through neighborhoods from November to early January, I see packages left on front steps, propped up against the front door or just left on the porch....and more and more people are shopping online having packages delivered. I take in my neighbors packages, if I see them, until they arrive home from work....
have them call the driver

United States

#4 Dec 5, 2012
Packages get left at the wrong addresses constantly
Especially this time of the year.

It might still be on a neighbors porch, 3 streets away.

Have them call the driver and double check where it was dropped.
Everett Mom of 3

Everett, MA

#5 Dec 5, 2012
I have all my packages delivered to my work. They have to be signed for here. You might want to consider that for future deliveries...
Everett

Medford, MA

#6 Dec 5, 2012
Everett Mom of 3 wrote:
I have all my packages delivered to my work. They have to be signed for here. You might want to consider that for future deliveries...
Sounds good - where do you work? Lol.
Gabby

Cambridge, MA

#7 Dec 5, 2012
Beware Porch Thieves wrote:
Be careful folks! A package was left on my porch and within 30 minutes was taken!
The delivery person didn't ring the bell as he was supposed to.
You can trace packages online and if you are at work, have them delivered there. Bad time of the year to have packages sitting on porches, especially in this city!
Mrs Tea

Malden, MA

#8 Dec 5, 2012
Everett Mom of 3 wrote:
That's an excellent idea.
sailor

Brandon, FL

#9 Dec 5, 2012
most work places won't let you mail packages to them.could be a bomb.
Just Reading

Cambridge, MA

#10 Dec 5, 2012
Next they'll be stealing Christmas decorations!
Everett Mom of 3

Everett, MA

#11 Dec 5, 2012
<quote>most work places won't let you mail packages to them.could be a bomb</quote>
I suppose if you work for the government or a company that has security concerns, perhaps that might be the case - but almost every company has something delivered to them - mail, office supplies, water etc. To say "most work places" won't let you mail packages to them doesn't make a lot of sense...
Everett Resident

Everett, MA

#12 Dec 5, 2012
RE: Having pkgs. delivered to your work place ....

Better ask your supervisor before doing so - it could be against company policy...
FatCactus

Westbrook, ME

#13 Dec 5, 2012
UPS My Choice, you can have the packege delivered to a UPS Store, and they will hold it till you can pick it up.
that stinks

Cambridge, MA

#14 Dec 6, 2012
I don't know why UPS doesn't even ring the bell. I had a note put on my door saying that it was the first delivery attempt, and we were home when it was left. No one even bothered to ring the bell.I order a lot of things online and constantly worry that my packages will be stolen.
question

United States

#15 Dec 6, 2012
that stinks wrote:
I don't know why UPS doesn't even ring the bell. I had a note put on my door saying that it was the first delivery attempt, and we were home when it was left. No one even bothered to ring the bell.I order a lot of things online and constantly worry that my packages will be stolen.
They do this when they're in a hurry to make up time.
or if the package is buried and they don't want to dig it out.

They have the sticker written up before they stop,
they sprint to your door, leave the sticker, and are back in the truck in 5 seconds.

I ran after the truck for doing this once,
and he had to look through the truck to find my box.
Everett Resident

Everett, MA

#16 Dec 6, 2012
I don't agree with this drop & run from UPS, not at all...However, these drivers are under great pressure (talk about stress !!!) to make x number of deliveries in x number of hours -- or less!!! That's why they don't bother to close the driver's door - even if it really cold/rainy out....takes precious seconds to do so....We are expecting a package in a few days, not sure if it will come UPS or FEDX but they're probably all the same...

Alerting neighbors about a delivery can be helpful, the more eyes out there the better...
outta here

Boston, MA

#17 Dec 6, 2012
I notice that a lot of UPS deliveries I receive are now delivered by the letter carrier, even though they are being shipped by UPS. It's an option that the shippers have. It gets transferred from UPS in Somerville to the Post Office in Chelsea for delivery. The letter carrier will leave the package in a safe place.
Mama Bear

Malden, MA

#18 Jan 8, 2013
This has been an ongoing issue for alot longer than just the holiday months. Someone stole a Northface jacket off a friends porch cpl months ago, and I have had many issues with packages missing items, boxes torn open or just completely not making it to my home. Luckily the companies I have bought from were understanding. Without video monitoring there's no evidence and police can't do much except an incident report
for real

Medford, MA

#19 Jan 8, 2013
We'll be like certain parts of Dorchester and Roxbury soon. UPS won't leave anything without a signature in some "neighborhoods"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Winthrop Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Big Pharma Dictates 46 min Big Pharma RICO 1
Review: Town Of Saugus (Dec '15) 4 hr Our guardians 23
Does the Mayor deserve a raise? (Apr '15) 5 hr Everetts watcher 47
chickens as pets? (Jul '09) 5 hr Here kitty kitty 21
Father Joey Voices 8 hr Ward1Resident 5
Goofy Head Dress Indian Warren 8 hr bozo 6
News Dorchester man convicted of shooting another ma... 8 hr bozo 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Winthrop Mortgages