They are cutting all theatre classes ...

They are cutting all theatre classes and advanced art classes!

Posted in the Winthrop Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
AnonTheaterDwell er

Everett, MA

#1 Jun 19, 2013
They are cutting all the theatre classes at Everett High School and advanced art classes. Why? I have yet to receive an accurate reason. So I'm urging the citizens of Everett to start an uproar, use your voices, they can't just take these from you! Forestiere single-handedly made this decision without consulting the school committee or guidance (who create students schedules). That is not okay. Please, save the arts!
pineapple

Boston, MA

#2 Jun 19, 2013
AnonTheaterDweller wrote:
They are cutting all the theatre classes at Everett High School and advanced art classes. Why? I have yet to receive an accurate reason. So I'm urging the citizens of Everett to start an uproar, use your voices, they can't just take these from you! Forestiere single-handedly made this decision without consulting the school committee or guidance (who create students schedules). That is not okay. Please, save the arts!
Well boo hoo hoo. Cut the violin music and the rest of the dog and pony show crap.
wondering

Saugus, MA

#3 Jun 19, 2013
If, in fact, Forestiere didn't ask for his school committee to cut all theatre, or any other programs for that matter, he would simply ask the board if he felt the need and, as they have done in the past,they would comply with his requests without any meaningful debate or questions.
pineapple

Boston, MA

#4 Jun 19, 2013
Foresteire doesn't ask - he directs. You do want your wife to get that promotion.
Also, his name is:
Forest
Eire (like the lake)
i before e except when its FFF.
concerned citizen

Saugus, MA

#5 Jun 19, 2013
That's awful the kids need these programs. All the politicians care about is there pockets! We need a change here someone who actually cares about Everett!

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

#6 Jun 19, 2013
I'm surprised that Foresteire would want to cancel theater. The auditorium is named after him - The Frederick F. Foresteire Performing Arts Auditorium (or something like that). What a bozo he is. He should be ashamed of himself if he did order the cuts. More money for the football team.
Actually

Everett, MA

#7 Jun 19, 2013
The lake is Erie. Eire is the Irish word for Ireland.
I know in Medford the teachers in the foreign language department created a change.org petition when something like this was going on there. Might behoove Everett folks to do something similar and share it on social media.

Since: Apr 08

Boston, MA

#8 Jun 20, 2013
Foresteire should have been fired long time ago, but of course nobody protests, no one complains. I am sure nobody will complain about this either.
everett

Wakefield, MA

#9 Jun 20, 2013
I would like to see them cut the football team - haha.
To know it all

Malden, MA

#10 Jun 20, 2013
pineapple wrote:
Foresteire doesn't ask - he directs. You do want your wife to get that promotion.
Also, his name is:
Forest
Eire (like the lake)
i before e except when its FFF.
Lake Erie. Doofus
silly guy

Boston, MA

#11 Jun 20, 2013
bet you they don't have the guts to cut FOOTBALL
Everett Resident I

Malden, MA

#12 Jun 20, 2013
In Everett, no one dares to cut anything to do with football - that is sacred here !!!!

But what about the other students who don't play football - aren't they entitled to other programs ???

Just wondering ....
All American

Detroit, MI

#13 Jun 20, 2013
Really!!!!....these kids graduate without knowing how to do banking.IE check book..any type of math, American History...CIVICS...most don't know who the President or his cabinet are...Geography...WHO CARES ABOUT THEATER???
All American

Detroit, MI

#14 Jun 20, 2013
AND I AM NOT A FAN OF FF.....
All American

Detroit, MI

#15 Jun 20, 2013
And I could care less about football...
everett

Wakefield, MA

#16 Jun 21, 2013
Everett Resident I wrote:
In Everett, no one dares to cut anything to do with football - that is sacred here !!!!
But what about the other students who don't play football - aren't they entitled to other programs ???
Just wondering ....
Nope. Football is all that matters here.
wondering

Saugus, MA

#17 Jun 21, 2013
Even more important than football, is having enough money set aside to pay for newspaper advertising and notices to keep the press under Forestiere's control.
IMB

Boston, MA

#18 Jul 15, 2013
To those who are concerned about these cuts, the Boston theatre community is standing side by side with you.

Please consider signing the petition that highlights the tangible benefits of theatre curriculum in schools, and urges Everett to reconsider this action.

http://chn.ge/1bCjMHD

Also, here's an article by the former Executive Director of the American Theatre Wing (they run the Tony Awards, and much more), digging deeper into the reported reasons for the cuts:

http://www.hesherman.com/2013/07/15/why-was-d...
ABH

Worcester, MA

#19 Jul 15, 2013
Let us not judge the full story based upon thefacts. The incoming Freshmen class has close to 530 students, slightly more I believe. The current junior class class has over 520. The high school was built fr a total capacity of I believe 2100 students. Well if you do the math at this rate the high school will be over capacity. They will hae to higher more teachers for the basic classes, you know English, math, science. So if there are more of those classes you have to cut out others if you cannot find qualified teachers for the major subjects. There is still after school they can do, similar to other activities. So always remember there are two sides to every story and the truth usually is somewhere in between.
havocstarter

Springfield, NJ

#20 Jul 15, 2013
ABH wrote:
Let us not judge the full story based upon thefacts. The incoming Freshmen class has close to 530 students, slightly more I believe. The current junior class class has over 520. The high school was built fr a total capacity of I believe 2100 students. Well if you do the math at this rate the high school will be over capacity. They will hae to higher more teachers for the basic classes, you know English, math, science. So if there are more of those classes you have to cut out others if you cannot find qualified teachers for the major subjects. There is still after school they can do, similar to other activities. So always remember there are two sides to every story and the truth usually is somewhere in between.
Doin the math.. 530 incoming freshmen Where are they all coming from! I can't believe all middle schools combined could equal that large a number.
Again school population busting at the seams this is why I send my child to private school and yet I'm still paying to educate non-city residents.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Winthrop Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Beebe School NO leadership (Apr '15) 3 hr she ra 43
rick from everett 7 hr Jacks buddy 2
News Man Wins $10 Million in Lottery Trying to Buy a... (Jan '15) 8 hr Beauregard Cons 18
Father Joey Voices 12 hr NoRoomForRacism 8
Everett (Jul '08) 14 hr Over there 594
Bill Weld = NWO FILTH Tue Inquisitor 6
News Police Briefs 07-20-2011 (Aug '11) Tue George Orwell 34

Winthrop Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Winthrop Mortgages