DiMasi scandal puts pressure on legis...

DiMasi scandal puts pressure on legislators to pass ethics reform

There are 15 comments on the Lowell Sun story from Jun 4, 2009, titled DiMasi scandal puts pressure on legislators to pass ethics reform. In it, Lowell Sun reports that:

The indictment of former House Speaker Sal DiMasi has heightened the pressure on Beacon Hill lawmakers to tackle the issue of ethics in state government.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lowell Sun.

ryan

New Bedford, MA

#1 Jun 4, 2009
hang'em all ! its clowns like this that cost all us tax payers and help put this state in the mess its in.
fed up with MA

Dallas, TX

#2 Jun 4, 2009
It's the stupid MA voters that keep putting them back in year after year.
It will never change and they know that. Just shut up and keep letting them tax you more and more and they keep stuffing it in the bras and pockets.
Jim

Fitchburg, MA

#3 Jun 4, 2009
Any reform will be full of loop holes, Massachusetts has the most corupt political system in the country, and the criminals are allowed to police themselves. We've seen how that works.

Scrap the whole system, start all over again with the part-time legislature that was intended, this way they would have less time to steal from us
observed

Schaumburg, IL

#4 Jun 4, 2009
All of these pols can say is how "troubled" they are at these allegations. Yet, they continue to do N-O-T-H-I-N-G about creatin a bill for term limits. Why? Because they laugh at us. It's all about them How sad. The people will eventually revolt.
Fed Up

Rockville, MD

#5 Jun 4, 2009
Remember the crooks will be the ones making the law.
billerica resident

Wakefield, MA

#6 Jun 4, 2009
Hate to raise this question but if the former Speaker thought he was getting away with this illegal act, what may our local House and Senate members be up to behind closed doors and out of public view. Every legisaltor is tarnished by Sal's greed, which is why term limits is more important than ever before. Sal, Finneran, Charlie Flaherty, Diane Wilkerson, and the list goes on. It is clear that politicall power corrupts.
Okay

Chelmsford, MA

#7 Jun 4, 2009
"....legislators to pass ethics reform" isn't that story title an oxymoron and "I drove in here on I-93 and I have House plates on my car and I got the middle finger two times." DITTO to those who expressed everyones opinion of the legislators so clearly
Anypols Honest

Attleboro, MA

#8 Jun 4, 2009
The common term used by those on Beacon Hill is "troubled" about there buddy Salvatore. All each of them is really saying is that the feel bad for him because he got CAUGHT.
Bagdad Harry

United States

#9 Jun 4, 2009
Now that is a funny one....
Always wonder if the Speaker of the House desk has a separate drawer called corruption.

How many more Mr. Speakah?
Amused

Newton Center, MA

#10 Jun 5, 2009
Today's Beacon Hill laff riot: Conference committee members are meeting to discuss ways to improve the transparency of state government. The meeting is being held behind closed doors, no public or press allowed. Someone seems a bit weak on the concept of "transparency".
Amused

Newton Center, MA

#11 Jun 5, 2009
Okay wrote:
"....legislators to pass ethics reform" isn't that story title an oxymoron and "I drove in here on I-93 and I have House plates on my car and I got the middle finger two times." DITTO to those who expressed everyones opinion of the legislators so clearly
It says they will be under pressure to pass reforms. This is perhaps the one time our legislators will become profiles in courage and stand up to the pressure.
Bagdad Harry

United States

#12 Jun 5, 2009
Amused wrote:
Today's Beacon Hill laff riot: Conference committee members are meeting to discuss ways to improve the transparency of state government. The meeting is being held behind closed doors, no public or press allowed. Someone seems a bit weak on the concept of "transparency".
Remember when they used to show the seante meeting live on Ch 44?
Like anybody would watch it...but they had to get rid of it because it showed them once when a bunch of them got bad ice cubes.
Those were the Corrupt Midget daze!
Bagdad Harry

United States

#13 Jun 5, 2009
Amused wrote:
<quoted text>
It says they will be under pressure to pass reforms. This is perhaps the one time our legislators will become profiles in courage and stand up to the pressure.
You mean like they did to keep the payroll Patriots holidays? St. Patricks woops umm i mean Evacuation Day and Bunker Hill Day. Profiles in Patronage is more like it!
Amused

Newton Center, MA

#14 Jun 9, 2009
Bagdad Harry wrote:
<quoted text>
Remember when they used to show the seante meeting live on Ch 44?
Like anybody would watch it...but they had to get rid of it because it showed them once when a bunch of them got bad ice cubes.
Those were the Corrupt Midget daze!
Like the CM himself was fond of saying, "Show me a reformer, and I'll show you someone who won't be back." They really are an embarrassment.
Bagdad Harry

United States

#15 Jun 9, 2009
Amused wrote:
<quoted text>
Like the CM himself was fond of saying, "Show me a reformer, and I'll show you someone who won't be back." They really are an embarrassment.
The guy is a masterpiece...who was actually more dangerous to the general public...him or his arch criminal brother Whitey?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Winthrop Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Thousands of people march during rally at Bosto... 3 min By any means nece... 2,041
lafayette school 27 min Friends to the end 149
As malden turns 1 hr Courious 1
Everett football players being short changed 2 hr Equal opportunity 49
new water meter 17 hr warerman 1
Be warned! stolen UPS packages from porches! (Dec '10) Sat Dancergirl 22
State Rep Wong (Jan '12) Sat Tip of the iceberg 47

Winthrop Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Winthrop Mortgages