Cape Coral, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2011

Judged:

Downtown seems to have died quite awhile ago, the court house that was a landmark in the town was demolished for a non-vital parking lot in the 1970s, the businesses along the old Highway into town seem to not be doing very well, the town's school buildings are all non-descript (so are the ones in Jackson County) because they were built during or after the 1950s, and almost all the thriving businesses are located in suburban-style developments (strip malls, chain stores, separated buildings with seas of parking around them). This is why I'm glad my parents chose to move to Dillsboro/Sylva in the mid-80s rather than Franklin.
Whiteboy

Waynesville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2011

Judged:

From what i seen tonight Franklin has been taken over by illegals and law enforcement is doing nothing about it,,, i was sickened tonight when i went to franklin for the first time in over a year,, and i had to stop by wal-mart and inside and in the parking lot and everywhere was nothing but mexicans and everywhere,,, sounded like turkeys plucking and clucking all over as they were all yapping back in forth in the spanish BS that they only know.... what in the heck are the cops doing over there? are they being paid off to let these illegals stay there? had i been a cop tonight, i could have made 300 arrests at wal-mart alone. make me wanna puke!!
Dovie

Marshall, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 17, 2011

Judged:

The problem is not the Mexicans in Franklin. It is the elected officials that have sucked it dry.
Korean Vet

Burnsville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2011

Judged:

Your bumbling town of Franklin officials and economic development good old boys just scored another loss.

Mast General Store won't put a store here but they won't say why, just that the numbers did not fit their store model.

What numbers do you reckon they meant?

No customer base? Not enough people to fill the parking spaces? Deserted main street? Declining population growth? All the really historic downtown buildings gone?
Nocar Clyde

Franklin, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2011

Judged:

What is downtown? A huge court house that is nothing but a pile of bricks, it's annex,3 banks and a vacant bank bldg, a huge piece of downtown filled with a stupid town hall, several art stores that cater to a few floridians that moved here, a huge furniture store and People's which is hurting for business, plus 3 museums hardly anyone visits and the taxpayers have to support. Then there's Drake's business that nobody visits and the Drakette's take all the good parking spaces. Why go to Downtown Franklin, they even turned the Veitnam Memorial, that took up good parking, into a Gazebo and the other parking was turned into a Clock tower park, oh, forgot that confereate statue park and memorial brick sidewalk!
Why go downtown, go to Wal Mart!
Bob Rogers

Burnsville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2011

Judged:

Economic development is a private party for people scratching each others backs. Look around. Houses for sale everywhere. People either retired or leaving the county. The so-called leadership has sucked the county dry, and still are. Bringing in the motorcycles next to fill up the motels for people the taxpayers support.

Wake up people. The "family conservatives" pretending to be Christians have their hands in your pockets. You are financing them.
Barney Feife

Sylva, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2011

Judged:

What was it PT Barnum said, "There's a Sucker born every minute" and Franklin has a lot of them! Still can't find anyone who can justify $240,000 per acre of bottom land in a bad location for the new 5-6 school!
Bob Rogers

Burnsville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2011

Barney Feife wrote:
What was it PT Barnum said, "There's a Sucker born every minute" and Franklin has a lot of them! Still can't find anyone who can justify $240,000 per acre of bottom land in a bad location for the new 5-6 school!
And I still can't find out who owned and sold that land for the school. I heard that Drake owned land beside it, but was he the owner of the land that was bought by the county for $240,000?
Bob Rogers

Burnsville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2011

And did the Dalton boy ever do anything for the county as the Economic Development Director?

I sure would like to know why he resigned/ I know there must be a story behind that!
Barney Feife

Sylva, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2011

No! Have to wait for the gossip to catch up. Why did he leave the two jobs at the beach? Layed off was one story, fired another, wanted change another and "wanted to come back to the mountains" the official one!
Insider

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 23, 2011

Judged:

Mexicans are everywhere, not just Franklin. I was in northern Mich on business and I had to go into a Walmart. I was probably the only 100% English speaking american .

Since: Sep 11

Cullowhee, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2011

Judged:

Bob Rogers wrote:
<quoted text>
And I still can't find out who owned and sold that land for the school. I heard that Drake owned land beside it, but was he the owner of the land that was bought by the county for $240,000?
That's public record. TheOwens family.
Barney Feife

Sylva, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2011

Wasn't it the Boatright family that owned that land that was bought at $240,000 per acre?

Franklin, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2011

Barney Feife wrote:
Wasn't it the Boatright family that owned that land that was bought at $240,000 per acre?
Thats right if you are talking about South Macon. But if you are talking about Mt. View it was the Owens Farm. Thats where Drakes built a ball field right past the school.
Bob Rogers

Burnsville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2011

Now I'm confused. Was the "Owens Farm" the family of a former realtor Conley Owens that owned/sold the Mt. View land for $240,000 per acre?

How much did the Boatwright property at South Macon sell for?

Cullowhee, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 26, 2011

Bob Rogers wrote:
Now I'm confused. Was the "Owens Farm" the family of a former realtor Conley Owens that owned/sold the Mt. View land for $240,000 per acre?
How much did the Boatwright property at South Macon sell for?
That's right. I don't know about Boatwight property.
Bob Rogers

Burnsville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 26, 2011

Loganville wrote:
<quoted text>
That's right. I don't know about Boatwight property.
Thanks for this info. Do you know what connections the Owens family had that got them such a windfall, or did some commissioners just think we the taxpayers should pay any price at all to put that school over there beside the Middle School (which in itself has always been controversial)?
Buddy

Westminster, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2011

Thought Franklin was a nice place, but after reading nyour comments,don't think I would want to live in a place where so many run it down.
Sam McConnell

Burnsville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2011

Judged:

It still is a nice place if you stay out in the county and manage not to run afoul of the power structure.

It did not get to be so politically incestuous until about 10 or 15 years ago when the religionists took over and turned it into a them-and-us kind of place.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of281
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Winterville Discussions

Search the Winterville Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
NC Who do you support for U.S. Senate in North Car... (Oct '10) 33 min Ben 49,259
Macon loses bragging rights for fastest growing... (Mar '11) 13 hr drake rd bandits 149
Joe Pecheles Mon Ecu Faculty 2
Macon County News Facebook for Drake Enterprises Mon Karen 10
Review: AAction Taxi Cab LLC Apr 11 Nick 1
Fire (Dec '06) Apr 7 Jim and JoAnn Helms 86
Satanic Tea Party Apr 7 Godshound 2
•••
•••
•••
•••

Winterville Jobs

•••
•••