jcl

Tully, NY

#43 May 25, 2012
Tim and Myra wrote:
They are named the Great Smoky Mountains because of the haze that has been here forever, long before factories and cars, etc, the name the Cherokee have always called them. ShaconaWASHINGTON –
this can be found at www.aldha.org/smokies02.htm :
A new report released today by three conservation groups shows that air in national parks is more polluted than that of many urban areas.
The report, titled “Code Red: America’s Five Most Polluted Parks,” was produced by Appalachian Voices, the National Parks Conservation Association and Our Children’s Earth.
It ranks the most polluted parks as follows:
1. Great Smoky Mountains National Park in Tennessee and North Carolina
2. Shenandoah National Park in Virginia
3. Mammoth Cave National Park in Kentucky
4. Sequoia-Kings Canyon National Parks in California
5. Acadia National Park in Maine
“In the Great Smoky Mountains, our most polluted national park, ozone pollution exceeds that of Atlanta and even rivals Los Angeles,” said Harvard Ayers, chairman of Appalachian Voices.
The study uses an air-pollution index, developed by Appalachian Voices for two earlier studies, to rank the five most-polluted national parks based on haze, ozone and acid precipitation. The index compares data collected from 1991 through 2001 at 10 national parks with the most extensive monitoring programs. It assesses progress made during the decade since passage of 1990 amendments to the Clean Air Act, the most recent changes to the law.ghe means Smoky Blue Mountains in Cherokee.
Most polluted National Park.
jcl

Tully, NY

#44 May 25, 2012
If that is not enough for you: http://usatoday.com/news/graphics/smokies_sav... .

avg. visiblility in summer 15-20 miles; should be 80 miles!
jcl

Tully, NY

#45 May 25, 2012
jcl

Tully, NY

#46 May 25, 2012
and here is a recent report (April 2012) from the National Park Service website. check it out Tim&Mara: http://www.nps.gov/grsm/naturescience/air-qua... .
jcl

Tully, NY

#47 May 25, 2012
http://mainlinemedianews.com/articles/2012/05...

and a book written about it..
Tim and Mara fan

Tully, NY

#48 Jun 10, 2012
hey guys, whats up? just wonderin' if you were gonna post a response..
Billy Goat

Saint Marys, GA

#49 Jun 30, 2012
lived there BORING glad to be out of there
BudF

United States

#50 Jul 1, 2012
For the most part, a place is what you make. I live there part time, like it, met a lot of nice people, the climate and fresh air is great and I think you will like the cost of living. For some reason, you will get a lot of "stinking thinking" from those who respond on this web site. Good luck
rex

United States

#51 Jul 19, 2012
went to visit there with an old girlfriend. not a lot of action there.
jcl

South Butler, NY

#52 Aug 28, 2012
not a lot of action on this thread either..where's Tim and Myra at?
rex wrote:
went to visit there with an old girlfriend. not a lot of action there.
Tim and Myra

South Butler, NY

#53 Sep 27, 2012
http://nature.nps.gov/air/permits/aris/GRSM/i...
Tim and Myra wrote:
They are named the Great Smoky Mountains because of the haze that has been here forever, long before factories and cars, etc, the name the Cherokee have always called them. Shaconaghe means Smoky Blue Mountains in Cherokee.
Tim and Myra

South Butler, NY

#54 Sep 27, 2012
HJF

United States

#56 Nov 16, 2012
No Snow,
For some reason,this site attracts mostly negative people. I have met a lot of very nice people in Franklin and they are very helpful. It is a beautiful area as well. It's true, like in most places, finding a good job is an issue (thanks to the gov't who wants to control every thing, the anti busniess attitude, etc). If you make the move, good luck and may God bless.
HJF

United States

#57 Nov 26, 2012
Just for the note of it, how my comment was judged proves my point. Had I joined in and said a lot of negative comments about the area, I would have received some hearty "amens", or "brilliant" by thoses that judge. Again,for the most part it's what you make it. However, if you love the beach, or the desert or the big city, you want like Franklin.
native

Franklin, NC

#58 Mar 26, 2013
Don't come to Franklin. We don't want you.
Goosey Goosey

Franklin, NC

#59 Mar 27, 2013
native wrote:
Don't come to Franklin. We don't want you.
Not everyone in Franklin feels this way. Only the redneck white supremacist jerks.
Craft Beer

Franklin, NC

#60 Mar 27, 2013
It appears that the new Bar, selling "Craft" Beer, on Main Street is about to open, probably this weekend!
Wiccan

Franklin, NC

#61 Mar 27, 2013
We need to start thinking of ourselves as producers instead of consumers. Asheville is booming economically with craft beer production and distribution, and thousands of jobs have resulted from the growing industry.

Also, farmers throughout WNC are growing hops for the Asheville craft beer industry, which would be a good thing for Macon County farmers if our county was more supportive of agriculture as something other than roadside beautification for the tourists.

http://www.goodlifepubs.com/asheville/beer/
Goosey Goosey

Franklin, NC

#62 Mar 27, 2013
Wiccan wrote:
We need to start thinking of ourselves as producers instead of consumers. Asheville is booming economically with craft beer production and distribution, and thousands of jobs have resulted from the growing industry.
Also, farmers throughout WNC are growing hops for the Asheville craft beer industry, which would be a good thing for Macon County farmers if our county was more supportive of agriculture as something other than roadside beautification for the tourists.
http://www.goodlifepubs.com/asheville/beer/
Good idea for county commissioners, get some unemployed people off the gubmint dole, put them to work. Without having to drive to Cherokee.
local

Franklin, NC

#63 Mar 28, 2013
Interesting. I read that it costs about $4,000 an acre to get start a hops farming enterprise, but the profits make it a worthwhile investment.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Winterville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Happy Anniversary to Lucama's Hugh & Annette Fl... Dec 20 Sturges 1
Nepotism and cronyism are alive and well in Mac... (Jun '13) Dec 19 Curtiss 5
What's happening with tourism in Macon County? (Feb '13) Dec 19 Curtiss 33
Macon County airport does not keep records of u... (Jan '12) Dec 19 justask 89
Macon County News Facebook for Drake Enterprises (Mar '14) Dec 17 Flea Market Banjo 36
Debate: Marijuana - Greenville, NC (Aug '10) Dec 16 Stephen 10
Inbred politics, religion, and DNA have ruined ... (Mar '12) Dec 15 Ghost Dog 33

Flood Warning for Pitt County was issued at December 26 at 6:41PM EST

Winterville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Winterville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Winterville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Winterville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 10:26 am PST