Neighborhood Watch Could Be in Our Near Future

Posted in the Winterville Forum

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#1 Mar 4, 2010
Yesterday I turned in a call to 911. Someone was breaking into my neighbors house while she was at work. His car wasn't one I had ever seen there before and he was acting suspicious. So I watched him. He broke in, as I thought he would. I gave the 911 operator a clear description of the intruder and his vehicle. They caught him shortly afterward...after a K-9 unit gave chase and he ended up with some nasty dog bites and some serious charges. We all need to be aware of suspicious activity going on in our neighborhoods. Be mindful of strangers knocking on doors, who are obviously not suppose to be there. If they are up to no good, they will be looking around at other houses to see if they are being watched. They might back their car into a driveway so no one can get their car tag number. They might knock on the doors, then try to turn the doorknob or look into the windows. That tells you they are trying to get in, even if no one is home. They might knock on doors late at night or wee hours of the morning. They could be trying to find a woman alone or an elderly person to take advantage of. Be aware of strange vehicles that move extra slowly through your neighborhood. They may be "casing" the area for vulnerable people or items in plain site that they can steal, or houses that don't appear to have a dog or security system.(I have a good deterrent, my part Pit dog.) While talking with Tommy Ross, one of our Winterville police officers, we discussed the possibility of getting Neighborhood Watch programs started, hopefully in the next few months. He hopes to get Winterville residents involved in some talk groups to ask questions and offer more information on Neighborhood Watch for us. Until then, please, keep your eyes open and don't hesitate to call 911 if you see something that looks suspicious. Never let the suspicious person see you and don't approach them. I will keep you informed of anything I learn about the Neighborhood Watch and anything else Winterville residents can utilize to make our town safe. Please tell us anything YOU know that can help us, too. It takes all of us working together to stop these dangerous intruders. Have a wonderful day neighbors!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Winterville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
GA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Georgia i... (Oct '10) 6 min Synergy 56,666
GA Who do you support for Governor in Georgia in 2... (Oct '10) 6 hr tammy101 2,072
just say no to dangerous mammogram Sep 14 WJAbbe 2
Woman reports large group of youths surround he... Sep 12 Victim 2
Dial America commits espionage through wrongful... Sep 12 YOUR MOMMA 2
GA Who do you support for Attorney General in Geor... (Oct '10) Sep 5 faisha 186
Crawford coroner takes county to court Sep 3 Mobile 7

Winterville News Video

Winterville Jobs

Winterville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Winterville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Winterville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]