Should There Be Sympathy For Steubenv...

Should There Be Sympathy For Steubenville Rapists?

There are 25 comments on the National Public Radio story from Mar 22, 2013, titled Should There Be Sympathy For Steubenville Rapists?. In it, National Public Radio reports that:

Two teens accused of rape in Steubenville, Ohio were convicted and sentenced this week.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at National Public Radio.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
nosympathy

United States

#1 Mar 22, 2013
NO! those thugs didn't have any sympathy for her when they were making videos and trash talking her....they are only sad because they got caught.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
John

Deming, NM

#2 Mar 22, 2013
Get behind the AG's efforts and clean the cesspool of Big Red football up!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
guesty

United States

#3 Mar 22, 2013
i have no sympathy for the rape thugs,or the other creeps that took videos. they all knew what they were doing was wrong.and i feel sorry for the victim...even her so called friends turned their back on her....the only thing that will hurt these thugs and vile beeches is if the victim sues them, and i hope she becomes a very rich girl, courtesy of stubenville's finest.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Justified

Summersville, WV

#4 Mar 22, 2013
NO SYMPATHY HERE. LET THE SCHOOL, PARENTS AND LAW ENFORCEMENT WHO TRIED TO HUSH THIS CRIME UP PAY $$$$$ THAT'S THE ONLY PLACE THEY HAVE FEELINGS, IN THEIR WALLETS.
Sheik Yerbouti

Richmond, IN

#5 Mar 24, 2013
Hopefully malik and his buddy are learning what rape really feels like! They deserve all the abuse they get in jail!
Instant Access

Steubenville, OH

#6 Jun 8, 2013
I think there should be sympathy for the teens involved, if not we are no better than them. I'm not saying they should get a pass for what happened but I am saying those involved are still young and can be rehabilitated. Isn't the purpose of our jails and prison rehabilitation and not just simple punishment? The military is an excellent option. Obviously those teenagers don't understand empathy so if they themselves are not treated with empathy how can we expect them to even understand it? Everyone who knew what was happening and failed to get help or intervene should be held accountable as should everyone who contributed to the harassment. I'm not sure jail would be the best option to teach them why their actions and lack thereof were wrong. Volunteering a considerable amount of time at a rape advocacy center I think would be far more effective in helping them to understand. They need to see and understand what a victim goes through in the aftermath of being raped. This way they'll be able to look at their own actions and see how their contribution to the online harassment affected the victim. Before you go labeling me a rape apologist or whatever it is you feel the need to call me, think about what I said. Throwing them all in jail is pointless and will not help them understand the why behind the punishment. It is my opinion that many of the parents have probably had extensive conversations with their children already. With the exception of a couple I feel confident that the parents of those involved did not take this lightly. Some people act like the parents here either don't care or defend the actions that night. I don't believe that an entire city would defend what happened that night. I've been following the case for a long time and seems like some people care less about justice and care more about arresting Big Red football players. The majority of the players are good kids who don't deserve the reputation they now have. I just know there's a delicate balance between punishment and rehabilitation and the court is best to determine what would most likely have a positive outcome going forward.
Tom

Chicago, IL

#8 Jun 8, 2013
pishposh wrote:
<quoted text> I agree with most of what you say. I don't agree with the comment about those who supposedly knew what happened and failed to get help because the only people who knew what happened were drunken teens. I also agree all parties should have recieved community service at a crisis center, including the rapists. I don't think a juvenile detention center will achieve much, if anything.
It's obvious you're a parent of one of the rapists. Not hard to see why your child is a sex offender. The fact that the rapists have such sorry parents and role models does make me feel sorry for them a little.
Verminator

Farmington, MI

#9 Jun 8, 2013
Instant Access wrote:
I think there should be sympathy for the teens involved, if not we are no better than them. I'm not saying they should get a pass for what happened but I am saying those involved are still young and can be rehabilitated. Isn't the purpose of our jails and prison rehabilitation and not just simple punishment? The military is an excellent option. Obviously those teenagers don't understand empathy so if they themselves are not treated with empathy how can we expect them to even understand it? Everyone who knew what was happening and failed to get help or intervene should be held accountable as should everyone who contributed to the harassment. I'm not sure jail would be the best option to teach them why their actions and lack thereof were wrong. Volunteering a considerable amount of time at a rape advocacy center I think would be far more effective in helping them to understand. They need to see and understand what a victim goes through in the aftermath of being raped. This way they'll be able to look at their own actions and see how their contribution to the online harassment affected the victim. Before you go labeling me a rape apologist or whatever it is you feel the need to call me, think about what I said. Throwing them all in jail is pointless and will not help them understand the why behind the punishment. It is my opinion that many of the parents have probably had extensive conversations with their children already. With the exception of a couple I feel confident that the parents of those involved did not take this lightly. Some people act like the parents here either don't care or defend the actions that night. I don't believe that an entire city would defend what happened that night. I've been following the case for a long time and seems like some people care less about justice and care more about arresting Big Red football players. The majority of the players are good kids who don't deserve the reputation they now have. I just know there's a delicate balance between punishment and rehabilitation and the court is best to determine what would most likely have a positive outcome going forward.
Thanks for your very reasonable explanation, Jane Hanlin! Of course rape should be treated with a pat on the shoulder and a "There, there, I know you didn't mean any of those things you said or did. Don't let it happen again. Now please show me all the incriminating texts and tweets so we can TRY to delete all of them from memory for eternity. I know a couple of people at my firm, and on the police force, and at Vestige, who can help."

Did I get that about right?

Well, maybe not. I'm probably JUST JEALOUS that I'm not you.
Antirape

Portland, OR

#10 Jun 8, 2013
The first step in rehabilitation is admitting you've done wrong. So far none of the students (including Mays and Richmond) have acknowledged any wrongdoing.
Just the facts

Katy, TX

#11 Jun 8, 2013
Antirape wrote:
The first step in rehabilitation is admitting you've done wrong. So far none of the students (including Mays and Richmond) have acknowledged any wrongdoing.
You got it. Accountability... and then consequence of actions. Instead these kids, absent of morals and integrity.
The game: certain kids wreak havoc on the community. Clueless of right and wrong. No self respect or respect for others. No respect for authority. Thinking they are above the laws, and laws are open to interpretation or disregarded entirely.
The only snag, the rare occasion they get caught. Not by parents of course, they hand them the keys to their homes, or open the doors so they can party, and sometimes rape girls. Bc when they get busted- Favors are called in, or coaches called to take care of it... Poof no consequences.
But what happens when the world is watching? Time to deny, lie, hide, deflect, attack. But the saying, "keep digging yourself deeper"... in their own kids' piles of shit, comes to mind.
And ultimately the parents are to blame.
A more recent ex., the recent SPD suspended officer, who went off on WPD for arresting his son. How dare they lol!
Why? Bc a certain bunch of underage kids were partying in a field. An assault took place,
(rumored)to be the mastermind of the crew's aug target. Assaulted one of the Dr "pill" show idiots. Cops were called. WPD took action. Kids ran into the woods. Steub cop son was one arrested. Supposedly he is of age and provided a keg for the festivities. Parents called, cop dad did not behave in a appreciative manner to WPD at the station, for busting his kid's alleged illegal activity.
And there we have the mentality of the parents of, and a cop too no less! Pathetic.
Tom

Chicago, IL

#12 Jun 8, 2013
Just the facts wrote:
<quoted text>
You got it. Accountability... and then consequence of actions. Instead these kids, absent of morals and integrity.
The game: certain kids wreak havoc on the community. Clueless of right and wrong. No self respect or respect for others. No respect for authority. Thinking they are above the laws, and laws are open to interpretation or disregarded entirely.
The only snag, the rare occasion they get caught. Not by parents of course, they hand them the keys to their homes, or open the doors so they can party, and sometimes rape girls. Bc when they get busted- Favors are called in, or coaches called to take care of it... Poof no consequences.
But what happens when the world is watching? Time to deny, lie, hide, deflect, attack. But the saying, "keep digging yourself deeper"... in their own kids' piles of shit, comes to mind.
And ultimately the parents are to blame.
A more recent ex., the recent SPD suspended officer, who went off on WPD for arresting his son. How dare they lol!
Why? Bc a certain bunch of underage kids were partying in a field. An assault took place,
(rumored)to be the mastermind of the crew's aug target. Assaulted one of the Dr "pill" show idiots. Cops were called. WPD took action. Kids ran into the woods. Steub cop son was one arrested. Supposedly he is of age and provided a keg for the festivities. Parents called, cop dad did not behave in a appreciative manner to WPD at the station, for busting his kid's alleged illegal activity.
And there we have the mentality of the parents of, and a cop too no less! Pathetic.
These are just the turds of humanity, floating in the toilet bowl that is Steubenville. Someone flush!!!
Verminator

Farmington, MI

#13 Jun 15, 2013
Instant Access wrote:
Bumping for Instant Access/Jane Hanlin's most ridiculous post of all. Sure Janey, we'll just pretend that no other people in this disgraceful, disgusting town did anything wrong and it'll all magically disappear, right? And if Pervy from IL creeps out enough people with his relentless stalking, maybe no other victims will come forward, right?

Too bad, you lose. Nice try though.
itsobvious

Carmel, IN

#14 Jun 18, 2013
Verminator wrote:
<quoted text>
Bumping for Instant Access/Jane Hanlin's most ridiculous post of all. Sure Janey, we'll just pretend that no other people in this disgraceful, disgusting town did anything wrong and it'll all magically disappear, right? And if Pervy from IL creeps out enough people with his relentless stalking, maybe no other victims will come forward, right?
Too bad, you lose. Nice try though.
'Too bad you lose'? Is this tragedy some kid of game for you to exploit? Instant Access is obviously a strawman you created for the purpose of maligning those who disagree with you on this subject. Your behavior is just as heinous since you have been bullying everyone associated with this case, juveniles included. You'll even bully anyone who disagrees with your views. Shame on you.
rumor has it

Columbus, OH

#15 Jun 19, 2013
tick tock tick tock...

Only time will tell. It's going to be fun!

United States

#16 Jun 19, 2013
rumor has it wrote:
tick tock tick tock...
Only time will tell. It's going to be fun!
isnt it about time that the other shoe falls? when are we going to hear something??!!
Sterkfontein Swartkrans

Richmond, IN

#17 Jun 20, 2013
Is the coach who tried to cover up the rape still employed? If so why is he allowed to work with kids? The entire football program should be shut down for good! It's too bad the two rapists didn't get more time. Hopefully they will have to register as violent sex offenders for the rest of their sorry lives!
Instant

Steubenville, OH

#18 Jul 6, 2013
Antirape wrote:
You're wrong yet again. Is the issue illiteracy? The petitions that have been put out are so off from what really happened along with many comments on this page? The trial transcripts, tweets, video, and trial evidence is available online so there is no excuse for all this misinformation to continue being repeated. Richmond has taken responsibility for his role and I feel is genuinely sorry for his actions. Mays on the other hand, I'm not so sure about. I don't think he gets it yet. What do you personally want to happen? Would you only be happy once the entire football team is arrested and thrown in jail? Richmond broke down in court during his apology, what more do you want?
Instant

Steubenville, OH

#19 Jul 6, 2013
itsobvious wrote:
<quoted text>'Too bad you lose'? Is this tragedy some kid of game for you to exploit? Instant Access is obviously a strawman you created for the purpose of maligning those who disagree with you on this subject. Your behavior is just as heinous since you have been bullying everyone associated with this case, juveniles included. You'll even bully anyone who disagrees with your views. Shame on you.
Are you seriously equating my intelligence to that of the verminator poster? No offense to the poster verminator, but I am offended by this. Whoever "verminator" is always resorts to juvenile name calling and bullying tactics when faced with someone holding a differing opinion. I do not treat people like that and am fiercely against that type of behavior. I do share many of the posters' opinions on here I just do not subscribe to the thought all these teens should be thrown in jail. I personally think community service hours spent volunteering at a rape advocacy center would serve them more effectively than jail time. I've been around long enough to notice that some people only seem to care about Big Red football players being arrested which is a travesty in itself. I've also noticed others who seem to only be satisfied if Coach Reno, Jane Hanlin, Sheriff Abdalla, and/or members of the SPD are on the chopping block, so to speak, which is equally absurd. The police were able to make an arrest within a week or two so obviously they were working nonstop because that is so quick for an arrest in this type of case. There are other individuals who should be held accountable besides the boys. Specifically meaning the coach at the first party and the parents at the second party. Did the coach enforce any consequences for the athletes who were out after curfew? I'm assuming the athletic code of conduct would include abiding by the laws set forth by the state of Ohio, it is against the law in Ohio for minors to be out after curfew. At the second party Jane Doe was laying in the street, her shirt removed, vomiting while boys, per witness testimony, were yelling things at her and discussing urinating on her.( In my opinion, I think someone probably did in fact urinate on her.) The parents from the second party in a statement released through the news stated there was no alcohol consumed at their home yet there is an open case of beer and obvious drunk minors depicted in the Nodi video. The statement also says that they were unable to hear what was going on due to the solid construction of their home. Do you not see a problem with this? What if it was your child who was able to become highly intoxicated and then get behind the wheel of a vehicle? What would your opinion be if one of these car loads of drunk minors had wrecked and killed someone? What if it was your child? Would you then take issue with the lack of adult supervision? So many teens are killed or seriously injured each year due to drunk driving, do you realize how lucky these teens were?
Antirape

Portland, OR

#20 Jul 6, 2013
Instant wrote:
<quoted text>
You're wrong yet again. Is the issue illiteracy? The petitions that have been put out are so off from what really happened along with many comments on this page? The trial transcripts, tweets, video, and trial evidence is available online so there is no excuse for all this misinformation to continue being repeated. Richmond has taken responsibility for his role and I feel is genuinely sorry for his actions. Mays on the other hand, I'm not so sure about. I don't think he gets it yet. What do you personally want to happen? Would you only be happy once the entire football team is arrested and thrown in jail? Richmond broke down in court during his apology, what more do you want?
Richmond:
" I would like to apologize to you people. I had no intentions to do something like that I'm sorry to put guys through this."

After pleading not guilty and being convicted, that is his heartfelt statement to his victim and her family. It'll have to do. Whether or not he is "genuinely sorry" is anyone's guess.

Lets hope that the grand jury brings more accountability to the numerous others involved in this criminal activity; to ALL who participated and abetted in its commission. And when the other guilty individuals are finally brought to account I hope they take full responsibility for their wrongdoing.

But I'm not holding my breath.
Antirape

Portland, OR

#21 Jul 6, 2013
Instant wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you seriously equating my intelligence to that of the verminator poster?
Verminator at least knows how to write in paragraphs.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wintersville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Vote For Donald Trump (Mar '16) Nov 23 AmericanWoman 9
News America Has a Rape Problem - and Kate Harding W... (Sep '15) Oct '16 Mike 2
Fred Abdalla mafia crime family connections (Mar '13) Oct '16 Sick 21
Review: Pastime Arcade (Jan '13) Oct '16 Mskup78 61
vandals Oct '16 Bloomp 2
News Steubenville Baby Sitter Charged With Child End... (May '11) Oct '16 Justbereal 6
wildfire motors beware of this company (Oct '13) Oct '16 monkeybrain 52

Wintersville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Wintersville Mortgages