Cops say co-worker killed Lotto winne...

Cops say co-worker killed Lotto winner -- OrlandoSentinel.com

There are 92 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Jul 11, 2007, titled Cops say co-worker killed Lotto winner -- OrlandoSentinel.com. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

Finally hitting the Lotto may have cost Kalvin Stockford his life. The burly Orange County tree trimmer won $10,000 last month and had been bragging about it ever since.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
pam

AOL

#1 Jul 11, 2007
Put the loser on death row
Justice does not wait

Orlando, FL

#2 Jul 11, 2007
Put him in the chair, forget years on death row.
Sue Thomas

Kalamazoo, MI

#3 Jul 11, 2007
What I don't understand is why (the media's and the court's) interpretation of one's present behavior is always mediated by the offenders past behavior.

Smith killed a man.

Period.

I can appreciate that he was a "good" guy at times in his recent past and that he become a church member and all that, but he killed a man yesterday!

His past behavior does not change his decision yesterday!

All of this nice talk does not bring Mr. Stockford back to life.

This is first degree murder.

Period.

There are lots of people with rough backgrounds that choose not to kill people.

So why should Mr. Smith be held to any other standard because he passed a drug test and started going to church?

Somebody, please explain this to me.
thatwontfly

Orlando, FL

#4 Jul 11, 2007
I say we plea bargain this down to aggravated assault and put him away for 120 days. There are no reliable witnesses. Hey, it's not like he murders someone every day. Why get tough now?
Kathy McD

Orlando, FL

#5 Jul 11, 2007
It was the victim (Stockford) that was spoken of in the article as being a Christian and member of Calvary church not Dwayne Smith!

The defendent has such a long history of violently attacking others (starting at the age of 15 and he is now 23)... I'd like to know why any judge would sentence him to only 121 days in jail for ramming his stepsisters head through a window... convicted of battery instead of attempted murder... he is one of those repeat offenders who has no remorse, no intention of changing, and should be put away for the rest of his life... how many more does he have to hurt before the district attorney and our judges do the right thing?
gmen

United States

#6 Jul 11, 2007
And why do people like this ever get out of prison. Our justice system sucks!
Dumb Post

Charlotte, NC

#7 Jul 11, 2007
Sue Thomas wrote:
What I don't understand is why (the media's and the court's) interpretation of one's present behavior is always mediated by the offenders past behavior.
Smith killed a man.
Period.
I can appreciate that he was a "good" guy at times in his recent past and that he become a church member and all that, but he killed a man yesterday!
His past behavior does not change his decision yesterday!
All of this nice talk does not bring Mr. Stockford back to life.
This is first degree murder.
Period.
There are lots of people with rough backgrounds that choose not to kill people.
So why should Mr. Smith be held to any other standard because he passed a drug test and started going to church?
Somebody, please explain this to me.
I'll try to explain this in real simple English.

The majority of people that are violent criminals, stay violent criminals. The background story is very important because the public (tax paying citizens) have a right to know how their money is being used to rehabilitate violent offenders. If the rehabilitation is not working or is ineffective, then the public needs to know, so they can make informed decisions come election time. I'm sure if you are from Central Florida you are convinced there is something wrong with "the system".

How about instead of bellying up to this murderer, you DEMAND to know why this ANIMAL is on the streets.

I'm sure if this guy would have slain one of your loved ones, you would want to know his past, and why he was not behind bars.
DDB

Virginia Beach, VA

#10 Jul 11, 2007
Shouldn't this also be considered a "Hate Crime"? The accused stated that he had to "kill the cracker".
dia

Sanford, FL

#12 Jul 11, 2007
hate crime??
MLC

Orlando, FL

#13 Jul 11, 2007
This is a hate crime pure and simple because of what the murderer said.

If it were a white man and he said I had to kill the N-word, it would be.
pudbert_Savannah GA

United States

#14 Jul 11, 2007
Poor guy, probably didn't get enough chances. POS needs to cook. Sloww
Govt Waste Must Stop

United States

#16 Jul 11, 2007
well, well, well - more career thugs out on the streets committing crimes - serious physical assault - 121 days sentence? ludicrous. Obviously with this young demon, career institutions did not help, as the story implies, and adult incarceration may not either.

It is indeed a very strained and borederline lawless time in which we now try to exist.
Govt Waste Must Stop

United States

#17 Jul 11, 2007
[Shouldn't this also be considered a "Hate Crime"? The accused stated that he had to "kill the ****]

Good point, where are great City COmmissioners now when racial epithets are being slung about as to a Caucasian? Oh wait, this young demon did not have the proper surname and was Jamaican born, right?

Maybe the area needs a good Caucasian-American advocate to rouse public awareness
wpfl

Longwood, FL

#20 Jul 11, 2007
Kill This Guy.
Befuddled

San Antonio, TX

#22 Jul 11, 2007
Govt Waste Must Stop wrote:
[Shouldn't this also be considered a "Hate Crime"? The accused stated that he had to "kill the ****]
Good point, where are great City COmmissioners now when racial epithets are being slung about as to a Caucasian? Oh wait, this young demon did not have the proper surname and was Jamaican born, right?
Maybe the area needs a good Caucasian-American advocate to rouse public awareness
I couldn't agree more--good eye noting the technicalities!
no-pity-4--trash

Winter Park, FL

#23 Jul 11, 2007
121 Days for slashing someone with a butcher knife??? HOW ABOUT 20 YEARS NO PAROLE? This is exactly why the crime epidemic in Orlando is only going to get worse...
Charlie

Clarksville, IA

#24 Jul 11, 2007
Another poster boy for closing the borders and stopping ALL immigration. If that means shooting them as they get off the raft....oh well. Were the circumstances reversed, Anglos trying to come ashore on any of the islands would be shot and left for the crabs.
DPack

Saint Petersburg, FL

#26 Jul 11, 2007
Stop the hypocrisy!!(a) we can all agree our perp here should never see the light of day again no matter what, so let's hope his memories of those beers and lap dances last him a lifetime!(however long that may be.(b) The simple fact here is the use of the N-word being offensive is legit to some however until such time as the NAACP recognizes and they somewhat are that you can not condemn others for using a word that your own still use with regularity via public airways in music and slang people for the most part will scratch their heads and go "say what". Caucasions have for years in our country been haranged with similar words upon their immigration to America burned into the lexicon of society. You all know the words, slang for an italian american, a southern american, polish american. All of those groups of americans now consider themselves American of that particular heritage and have integrated themselves into the mainstream (the melting pot theory of America). Until such time as the NAACP leads Black America to the thought process of Americans of African Decent along with changing its monogram from NAACP to NAAP and considers itself to be an organization that is National Assoc. for the Advancement of People we can look forward to the sterotypes continuing in this country. Question you all should be asking is why they do not?
Disgusted

Orlando, FL

#27 Jul 11, 2007
As a black person, I have to agree: Racial slurs + violence = Hate Crime. You can't say its okay when one group is a target, but not another.
JSnowden

Winter Haven, FL

#28 Jul 11, 2007
Need I say more about the killer?? Like always........

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Winter Park Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 10 min Grey Ghost 1,420,273
News Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) 6 hr zazz 98,176
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 6 hr Actual Science 61,082
News Attention drivers: Waldo's 'speed trap' police ... (Jun '07) 7 hr Road Runner 65
Inspiration Lane - Don't Quit (May '09) 10 hr ImaginaryFriend 73,693
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 12 hr Hans 513,481
Review: Global Motorwerks LLC (Aug '13) 15 hr Patislockedup 25

Winter Park Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Winter Park Mortgages