Problems With Property Tax appeals???

Posted in the Winston Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
mike

Douglasville, GA

#1 Jan 22, 2010
Something tells me I'm not the only one having hell trying to get through the Douglas County property tax appeal process. If you're having problems, especially if you're at the Superior court level, let's talk.

The state legislature has apparently formed a committee to prepare legislation to improve the appeals process. We need to give them all the information we can to help them know where the problems are.

So, who else is having these problems???
formerresident

Decatur, GA

#2 Aug 7, 2012
So you must be waiting for me to write. We bought in good faith in 1986, brand new. 23 years later, I am told land valued at zero. Where did this value go?
BOA appealed board of equalization ruling, then changed to one dollar, while taxing home. Waste of time for 2010 and denied due process. In 2011, issue of home valued settled, but land value not addressed. Why are multiple businesses using my land for water management? Why does the WSA collect fees allowing others to destroy it? The constitution is where?

Where is due process?

Taxation with no representation.

1. Why was my land taxed at full value for 23 years, then reduced to zero, while taxing the home, and the utility company collects fees from businesses permitted to destroy land.

2. We purchased in good faith, brand new, relied on experts and the paperwork we were given. Where is your paperwork douglasville?

So mike, add me to your list of improving the appeals process. It didn't work well with me, but it sure did take up a lot of time and money.

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#3 Aug 10, 2012
To early to tell yet, but I am sure I will be on your list.

Location hidden

#4 Aug 10, 2012
IMO, If all of you would have stood up on the 31st & got read of TW you would not have to appeal your property tax bill.

“Liberals are closet raaacists!”

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#5 Aug 10, 2012
lol IMO, Yeeeeeah. Rita was the answer. Sheesh....
formerresident

Decatur, GA

#6 Aug 10, 2012
Tom Worthan is fine, taxpayer.
taxpayer 112, you may not understand this, but I would never have even bothered to appeal the tax for a few dollars either way, but when I did, they should have been resolved. Why else would you bother spending 3000 to solve a 1000 tax bill? How much will it cost me this year to figure out if land is zero or one dollar? And here is the real question an advocate for taxpayers should consider.. How much will it cost all of you to figure out why that is a question?
Ripped Off

Hiram, GA

#7 Aug 11, 2012
Good luck with the process....

The appeals process is a JOKE. I got out of my 2003-2005 built neighborhood when I started seeing foreclosure notices nearly every month in the Sentinel for my neighborhood. Since then, out of 110 houses, at least 30 have gone to foreclosure.

One of my former neighbors bought for $220k 2005. His value first went up, then started dropping. Two years ago we both got our assessments. The houses were built at the same time, but were different models. I disputed mine and they dropped my value to what I said it was worth. He disputed his and the tax office denied him so he went to the appeals board. He brought evidence and was clearly right about the value and they didn't drop it. There is no way he could sell for the assessed value. This year? His house is assessed for less than what he appealed it for.

The story here....the appeals board is all subjective. Good luck if you have to appeal. If the deny you and your are right, what are you supposed to do? Bend over and take it?

Location hidden

#8 Aug 14, 2012
Synergy wrote:
lol IMO, Yeeeeeah. Rita was the answer. Sheesh....
No, IMO Rita may not have been the answer. But not as big of a problem as we still have now.
Brings nothing into the DC, just spend tax money on monuments to himself. You know all those things that they say look what I did for this country, in very small print---(with your tax money that is).
Perhaps TW learned something from the T-SPLOST vote about how people feel when it comes to more taxes, ya think.

Let TW increase the tax base ( with industry & business) in DC but not on the backs of the property owners.

He voted no millage rate increase this time only because he was up for re-election don't ya know.

Location hidden

#9 Aug 14, 2012
formerresident wrote:
Tom Worthan is fine, taxpayer.
taxpayer 112, you may not understand this, but I would never have even bothered to appeal the tax for a few dollars either way, but when I did, they should have been resolved. Why else would you bother spending 3000 to solve a 1000 tax bill? How much will it cost me this year to figure out if land is zero or one dollar? And here is the real question an advocate for taxpayers should consider.. How much will it cost all of you to figure out why that is a question?
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxx

Well anyone stupid enough to make a statement like that obviously has no idea what an escrow account is.
formerresident

Decatur, GA

#10 Aug 14, 2012
add me to the stupid people list if I am not already on it!

Instead of a monument, plant a tree, or even a seed. Make this about you. It is.

Just saying....

I will just pay the tax and be on my merry way.

Location hidden

#11 Aug 17, 2012
formerresident wrote:
add me to the stupid people list if I am not already on it!
Instead of a monument, plant a tree, or even a seed. Make this about you. It is.
Just saying....
I will just pay the tax and be on my merry way.
You are correct for once. That is exactly what stupid people do when they just give there money to some politicians.

"I will just pay the tax and be on my merry way."
formerresident
#12 Aug 17, 2012
Yes. What ideas do you have, Mr. Taxpayer 112.
formerresident
#13 Aug 17, 2012
Taxpayer, how much do you think the public has paid in tax for this problem?

Here's a clue- think reynolds road stewart mill. think annawakee trails, think Brookmont, think lost access, think congestion, think water loss, think water contamination, think flash flooding, think high crime,think freedom, think public safety, think, think, think, cuz nobody there will let you know.

You see, you keep paying for it too. What are you going to do? I am fresh out of ideas, and usually have a ready supply.

or would you like to join me on the stupid taxpayer list, like the rest of the public who continues to pay, rather than stand for a better way?

And just how much does the WSA make here on this deal to do it wrong? That would be your storm water fees! That is on top of the tax that we pay.
Funny HaHa

Douglasville, GA

#14 Aug 18, 2012
formerresident wrote:
Yes. What ideas do you have, Mr. Taxpayer 112.
taxpayer 112's only idea is this:

I hate Tom Worthan. He taxes me and spends my money. Another politician won't do that. I hate Tom Worthan.

Whaa, Whaa, Whaa, Whaa

Actually, I hope he come back in here and argues with you as that would be very entertaining!

Location hidden

#15 Aug 21, 2012
Funny HaHa wrote:
<quoted text>
taxpayer 112's only idea is this:
I hate Tom Worthan. He taxes me and spends my money. Another politician won't do that. I hate Tom Worthan.
Whaa, Whaa, Whaa, Whaa
Actually, I hope he come back in here and argues with you as that would be very entertaining!
Well actually we are screwed for another term as people like you & formerresident voted him back in last month. But that will not stop me from holding him accountable for all the money he spends while NOT trying to increase the tax base in DC by bringing in Mfg. & new business that create jobs & tax base.
formerresident

Decatur, GA

#16 Aug 21, 2012
No former resident moved due to safety, and increased education, and couldn't vote in DC. I want to hear your ideas. It is what it is. TW, won.

My idea- Go find as much federal and state funding as you can and bring money back!

Create public private partnerships, that focus on winning solutions. Stop throwing money down the drain.

Make everybody whole. A lofty goal.

Your turn.
Funny HaHa

Douglasville, GA

#17 Aug 21, 2012
taxpayer 112 has no ideas.

He only hates TW.

He thinks that some other politician will rise up and save him money - maybe Ramona Jackson-Jones will.

He will come one Topix and whine. That is what taxpayer 112 does.

Just wait for it.

He will not be able to resist.

Location hidden

#18 Aug 23, 2012
Funny HaHa wrote:
taxpayer 112 has no ideas.
He only hates TW.
He thinks that some other politician will rise up and save him money - maybe Ramona Jackson-Jones will.
He will come one Topix and whine. That is what taxpayer 112 does.
Just wait for it.
He will not be able to resist.
•Someone very wise once said, "Never argue with fools. Some people might not be able to tell the difference."

Location hidden

#19 Aug 28, 2012
Well for all you TW lovers that voted for him on 7/31/12, you just got screwed again by him.
Or should I say in the BOC meeting on 8/21/12. If you were not there you can see the video or even just read the paper. But if you were there or you can take the time to look at the video you will see very clearly who lead the battle with the other commissioners who were against the fight to redistribute the sales tax pot. Which by the way is down due to the economy (the sales tax pot that is) & that also means that the SPLOST for the jail will most likely fall short as well.
TW’s answer as always, we will just keep spending & raise the millage rate again for the property owners.

YES your property taxes in DC are going to go UP by millage rate as well as assessed value

Well now isn’t all this ironic that you didn’t know that you were going to get it in the back until AFTER his 7/31 election. Duh !!!!!!! Told ya so.

http://www.celebratedouglascounty.com/view/de...
Funny HaHa

Douglasville, GA

#20 Aug 28, 2012
taxpayer 112 wrote:
<quoted text>
•Someone very wise once said, "Never argue with fools. Some people might not be able to tell the difference."
You are right I will not argue with you since you are a fool.

Please keep posting. It is very amusing reading your new discoveries of how TW is personally persecuting you as he carries out his duties as the Chairman of the Board of Commissioners.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Winston Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: One Eyed Willy's Bar & Grill (Mar '09) 23 hr Useless 5
Reception Venues Fri Hanuh16 1
Obama Blackmails Public Schools Fri Kidstone 22
Bathroom Preference Fri Kidstone 1
Poll Let's take a vote for Douglas County Sheriff 2016 Fri Raymond 36
No SPLOSH for Foxhole Thu Painful 27
Clint Payne - PsychoTherapist (Nov '09) May 25 jake kesey 156
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Winston Mortgages