Bridgeport school renovation funds add up

Full story: Connecticut Post

Last fall, the Bridgeport Child Advocacy Coalition issued a report called "Denied, Delayed and Diverted," criticizing school renovation funding.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 10 of10
pwilson

Newtown, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2008

Simply put, I don't think it is so much a question of where the money is spent.
I think it is a question of HOW MUCH.
And in my mind, it is TOO MUCH.
And, 76% of projects BONDED?
Who will pay all that future debt while the board of Ed continues to ask for more every year?
mikefromblackroc k

Newark, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2008

Most of the increases in the education budget is to cover teacher union intiatives, primarily health benefit costs. More than half the budget goes to non-educational responsibilities.
ruffcustomer

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2008

>>>>>>> >.At the very least, Marilyn Ondrasik, executive director of BCAC, said there is a lack of transparency in the city's capital bonding process that needs to be addressed.

How much and who is writing her paycheck?
Frustrated BPT Resident

Ridgefield, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2008

I find it amazing and yet another example of how the local economy is not supported by people who live in this community. If you read the article,(I could be wrong) but not a single Bridgeport company was mentioned. Are you saying there are no qualified LOCAL buisness that can benefit from these contracts? Keep sending city money to the suburbs, they are rich already...
Frustrated BPT Resident

Ridgefield, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2008

I also want to add that when asbestos are found in school systems in the suburbs, they cancel school altogether and relocate these kids until the absestos is removed. In Brigeport, its who give a f**k about these kids and there health, let them attend school while we know that there is absestos in the building. Thanks for Caring about our future...
Bill

Port Chester, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2008

Why should the state taxpayers spend their money on Bridgeport. If Bridgeport want to rebuild their schools after letting them go to heck, then Bridgeport taxpayers should pay themselves.

That is what should happen due to your corrupt administrations!
Frustrated BPT Resident

Ridgefield, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2008

Bill wrote:
Why should the state taxpayers spend their money on Bridgeport. If Bridgeport want to rebuild their schools after letting them go to heck, then Bridgeport taxpayers should pay themselves.
What town are you from? Maybe one where there is only 1 high school and its named after the town. Bridgeport has at least 5 high schools that I can think of and I believe a total of 32-35 schools. No local budget could ever stay on top of all this. I think I smell the septic tank in your backyard. By the way, we have sewers...look it up to see what they are...
Bpt should help bpt

Bridgeport, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2008

Frustrated BPT Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
What town are you from? Maybe one where there is only 1 high school and its named after the town. Bridgeport has at least 5 high schools that I can think of and I believe a total of 32-35 schools. No local budget could ever stay on top of all this. I think I smell the septic tank in your backyard. By the way, we have sewers...look it up to see what they are...
3 high schools for the city itself.

And the other guy is right, why should 85% of Bpt's budget be paid by the rest of the state? The citizens need to step up, pay their taxes, and support the school system.
Frustrated BPT Resident

Ridgefield, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2008

Bpt should help bpt wrote:
<quoted text>
3 high schools for the city itself.
And the other guy is right, why should 85% of Bpt's budget be paid by the rest of the state? The citizens need to step up, pay their taxes, and support the school system.
Why not paid for by the state? First of all know what you are talking about before commenting. I like to have real arguements, not dummies insulting people here. All major cities and I beleive towns as well are funded through hartford and the federal goverment. Its called Education Cost Sharing. The city has been short-changed for years because of this formula. I know local corruption doesn't help, but we have still been short-changed. Please educate yourself before commenting...

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2012

Bill wrote:
My family agrees with you, our friend.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 10 of10
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Winsted Discussions

Search the Winsted Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
CT Who do you support for Governor in Connecticut ... (Oct '10) Apr 13 America Gentleman Samuel 780
Ridgefield looks to renewed Economic Development (Apr '09) Mar 22 Daniel 3
Torrington parents demand action on race relations (Mar '10) Mar '14 Barack 3
Brookfield man sues over 'demon' book (Oct '07) Feb '14 LosGnarlyBandito 45
Teens plead guilty to crimes inspired by joke (Jul '08) Sep '13 sarah3 34
CT Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Connectic... (Oct '10) Sep '13 Enid Schmiege 2,048
CT Who do you support for Attorney General in Conn... (Oct '10) Sep '13 Brigid Doiley 376
•••
•••
•••
•••

Winsted Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Winsted People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance