Economic Uncertainty Driving Presiden...

Economic Uncertainty Driving Presidential Election Choices In C...

There are 53 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Oct 19, 2008, titled Economic Uncertainty Driving Presidential Election Choices In C.... In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

To appreciate how the stomach-turning twists of the world economy are affecting American politics at this pivotal moment, drive west on Route 44, past the strip malls of the Farmington Valley, the ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Awally

East Hartford, CT

#44 Oct 19, 2008
Overwritten. Those interviewed merely serve as backdrop for the points the writer wants to floridly make rather than forming the foundation of a news story. The Lovelace woman is atypical, a Minnesota transplant who by no means is a typical Hartford resident. The West Hartford upper middle class college president's wife is also so far removed from the typical voter that she cannot speak for any constuency group other than a very small elite. The populist viewpoint is all but totally absent from this entire piece. You could have interviewed patients in an asylum, taken their quotes and Altimari would have filled inthe gap with the same conclusions made here.
Konnecticut_Bett er_Yet

Norwich, CT

#45 Oct 19, 2008
For all of you who think Barak will do better at fixing the economy: What are you basing this on?? He never introduced a single piece of legislation as a state rep or a US Sen. So, please tell--how is it he is more qualified to fix the economy??
jschmidt

Canterbury, CT

#47 Oct 19, 2008
CT voters should ask themselves if their legislators such as their Democratics in the legislature or in the House and Senate have delivered the goods. Democrats control legislature and can override vetoes. In Congress Democrats control all but 1 House seat and I Senate seat even though Joe causcases with the Dems. We have high taxes, the highest gas tax rate even though only 32% goes to roads, and businesses going under. We are faced with a $1billion deficit that the legislature doesn't want to discuss before the election. So why does CT keep electing Democrats? They don;t take responsibility for their part in the Housing Crisis, they don't fight for aid for CT, they don't try to cut taxes in CT, and they don;t encourage businesses.
jschmidt

Canterbury, CT

#48 Oct 19, 2008
On Colin Powell- the last time we heard from him was about WMDs in Iraq. So why would I think his endorsement of Obama is made on any more solid evidence than his WMD evidence.
Flaming Ahole

Naugatuck, CT

#50 Oct 19, 2008
The neocons fed him this line of crap just like they fed it to everybody else.
jschmidt wrote:
On Colin Powell- the last time we heard from him was about WMDs in Iraq. So why would I think his endorsement of Obama is made on any more solid evidence than his WMD evidence.
Konnecticut_Bett er_Yet

Norwich, CT

#51 Oct 19, 2008
"Obama can right the financial mess?" You are sorely mistaken, ma'am....

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1224202058898...
jim

Buena Park, CA

#52 Oct 19, 2008
jschmidt wrote:
On Colin Powell- the last time we heard from him was about WMDs in Iraq. So why would I think his endorsement of Obama is made on any more solid evidence than his WMD evidence.
And there it is! Truly just a matter of time. Now you're attacking one of your own. Gee, I thought you guys liked mavericks. Too damn funny.
jim

Buena Park, CA

#53 Oct 19, 2008
John Doe wrote:
<quoted text>
Now that it appears that the former rubble rouser/dope dealer will ascend to the throne...are you all going to play all nicey nice. Do you think this clown will be austere in his coronation and beyond. The economy is in the toilet and all barak will do is flush. Bush screwed us to our face and now bend over...It's Obama's turn.
Rabble rouser? Dope dealer? What's next, anti-Christ? Really, you just prove my point. Thanks.
MrLogical

Portland, CT

#54 Oct 19, 2008
Flaming Ahole wrote:
Your point is valid.
What people refuse to come to terms with, is that both parties have their fair share of incompetent turds amongst them.
People are so partisan these days, it clouds their ability to see reality, and in a lot of cases makes them sound very stupid.
<quoted text>
"...clouds their ability to see reality, and in a lot of cases makes them sound very stupid."

A little Freudian introspection maybe...?
Jack

Glen Cove, NY

#55 Oct 19, 2008
i love the sound of desperation and despair. soon payback.
Stalwart

Naperville, IL

#56 Oct 19, 2008
Ms. Lovelace, the former porno queen, is not a stalwart. She is a RINO.
moderate law student

Hamden, CT

#57 Oct 20, 2008
i love reading the courant web boards because generally you get the full spectrum ranging from well thought out, reasoned responses to posts composed almost entirely of pure hate speech.
that said, i think mccain's trickle down effect will not work with our current, and ever growing deficit. i'm not particularly happy about obama's proposal either, but since i don't make 250K plus a year it won't affect me.
for all those hardcore republicans that blame everything on the democrats: stop fulfilling a stereotype of the republican party and instead embrace the theory of individual responsibility that is supposedly a core tenet of the republican party.
for all those democrats that blame everything on republicans: you had two years to try and fix any perceived mistakes but arguably wound up being a worse congress than the republican one that preceeded you so quit whining.
personally i'm tired of 8 years of failed policies and war and would rather gamble on a promised "change" than on more of the same. mccain argues that he is not bush, but since the election has started he has reversed his position to support many of bush's policies so it's a difficult argument to support.
that said, instead of preaching blind allegiance to party dogma, like both parties do, i suggest voting for a candidate based upon your own evaluation of all the information you can read, and certainly read more than just 1 or 2 biased news outlets (i.e. don't just read the courant and the new york times, and don't just watch foxnews either since all three of them are obviously biased.
MrLogical

Hebron, CT

#58 Oct 20, 2008
moderate law student wrote:
i love reading the courant web boards because generally you get the full spectrum ranging from well thought out, reasoned responses to posts composed almost entirely of pure hate speech.
that said, i think mccain's trickle down effect will not work with our current, and ever growing deficit. i'm not particularly happy about obama's proposal either, but since i don't make 250K plus a year it won't affect me.
for all those hardcore republicans that blame everything on the democrats: stop fulfilling a stereotype of the republican party and instead embrace the theory of individual responsibility that is supposedly a core tenet of the republican party.
for all those democrats that blame everything on republicans: you had two years to try and fix any perceived mistakes but arguably wound up being a worse congress than the republican one that preceeded you so quit whining.
personally i'm tired of 8 years of failed policies and war and would rather gamble on a promised "change" than on more of the same. mccain argues that he is not bush, but since the election has started he has reversed his position to support many of bush's policies so it's a difficult argument to support.
that said, instead of preaching blind allegiance to party dogma, like both parties do, i suggest voting for a candidate based upon your own evaluation of all the information you can read, and certainly read more than just 1 or 2 biased news outlets (i.e. don't just read the courant and the new york times, and don't just watch foxnews either since all three of them are obviously biased.
Suggest you do a little more research on basic economics and tax policy. While Obama's plan 'officially' targets >$250k, the residual effect of the massive spending programs he's proposing will end up taxing the entire economy in terms of lost jobs, less international competitiveness, inflation and a shrinking US dollar. In the end, consumers at all levels and all incomes will be 'taxed'(indirectly) and as history shows, a disproportionate share of this residual 'taxation' will fall upon the shoulders of those he proclaims to help. That's the dirty little secret of these so-called "tax the rich" plans: paradoxically, they actually tax everyone, and especially those who can least afford it. Ever been unemployed? I was in the Carter years and I'll never forget it. Obama's heading down that same path - he just won't admit it.

Be careful what you wish for. You will be surprised at the unintended consequences of an Obama administration and a veto-proof congress. If anything, with the economy in the doldrums, now is the time to cut all taxes (or at least not raise them) and reduce spending. That will stimulate the economy, help drive job creation, allow people to have more of their own money to spend as THEY see fit - not as the government dictates. Jobs that have previously fled our shores will come back to the US and our balance of trade will improve as part of the bargain. With trade deficits down and and with a reduced budget defict, the dollar will strengthen as well.

Study well. Your future and the future of our country depends on it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Winsted Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Torrington Police Department (Jun '07) Nov 3 ANONYMOUS 44
News Odd inheritance: 1889 landmark courthouse with ... Sep '17 VP Mullah Elect P... 2
Bud in Torrington? Jul '17 Stonerchick 1
Mental health care (Apr '17) May '17 High Plains Drifter 5
News MySpace `Predator' Gets 20-Year Prison Sentence... (Jul '07) Apr '17 Paul Kersey 14
News State Rep. Resigns Over Sex Scandal (Oct '08) Mar '17 Jim amann 5
Church (Feb '17) Feb '17 WOW 2

Winsted Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Winsted Mortgages