Conn. Union Says Nursing Home Strike ...

Conn. Union Says Nursing Home Strike Is Off

There are 9 comments on the Hartford Courant story from May 19, 2009, titled Conn. Union Says Nursing Home Strike Is Off. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

A labor union spokeswoman says a threatened strike against eight Connecticut nursing homes has been put off.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

Willie on Deck

Avon, CT

#1 May 19, 2009
Striking in health care is inappropriate. There is no excuse for using the sick and infirm as leverage for more money. 1199 needs to rethink their priorities. As a society we also need to rethink our priorities. Health care workers do get a lot of verbal and sometimes physical abuse. Staff shortages mean overworked and burned out staff. We need to pay these folks more and apriciate them more or be prepared to take care of our elderly in our own homes. As an industry I respect these hard working people. As for 1199-I don't care for you!
Need more state funds

Farmington, CT

#2 May 19, 2009
Willie, you're right that we need to pay the staff more and appreciate them more, however the state has not granted any increase in reimbursement for 2 years now. healthcare costs for meds, supplies, and maintaining the nursing home's utilities go up an average of 8% each year. How are we supposed to pay them more, when the nursing home is loosing money each year? We are in a depression, and 1199 staff need to be thankful they even have a job instead of asking for raises.
Foghorn Leghorn

Hartford, CT

#3 May 19, 2009
Wow, did someone finally buy a clue? Who finally figured out that there just aint' no more loose cash just laying around?
Willie on Deck

Avon, CT

#4 May 19, 2009
Need more state funds wrote:
Willie, you're right that we need to pay the staff more and appreciate them more, however the state has not granted any increase in reimbursement for 2 years now. health care costs for meds, supplies, and maintaining the nursing home's utilities go up an average of 8% each year. How are we supposed to pay them more, when the nursing home is loosing money each year? We are in a depression, and 1199 staff need to be thankful they even have a job instead of asking for raises.
I agree with you. We need a social change especially with us baby boomers about to enter the elder care consumer market. Our priorities somehow have to change. Health care workers should have more money but I do understand that right no more will be hard to get. One thought that I had is to cutback on our military budget-at the federal level-and pass the savings on to health care. I wish I had some other thoughts but I don't at the moment. I still will never support any strikes in this business. I would support some work slowdowns like not doing certain tasks that will not directly effect the patients. At the CNA level for example no passing of linens, no making beds, no vital signs. At the RN level pass the pills and right notes but no care plan updates, no meetings, no phone calls excepting emergencies. Patients still will need to cleaned, fed and toileted and they still need their meds and fluids but make administration to the other stuff!
NEs Rising Shell

Manchester, CT

#5 May 19, 2009
At an AVERAGE cost of over $300 per day -- 175% the national average, and higher than everywhere but Alaska -- what is it exactly about nursing home costs in Connecticut that aren't high enough?

Any so-called "caregiver" that would even for an instant think about striking a nursing home facility should be fired instantly. What a dirtbag union.
Eastie

Storrs Mansfield, CT

#6 May 19, 2009
Well to begin with, our super high electric rates are gouging everyone. All because CL&P wanted to get out from under its nuclear plant and "talked" the legislature into another debacle of deregulation.
People who provide care to some of the most vulnerable members of society need to be fairly compensated and need to be in highder numbers in the homes. I'm ready to pay more taxes to see that our elderly don't have to sit in there own urine.
Joe Valenti

Pauline, SC

#7 May 20, 2009
The place that NEEDS a strike is Talmadge Park in East Haven...the Franco's treat their
employees like old fecal matter.
wakky

West Chester, OH

#8 May 21, 2009
The union is killing these nursing homes!
cassie

New Haven, CT

#9 May 15, 2010
well to whom it may concern i been working in a nursing home for years and were i work it is not the boss that treat us like shit its the boses bose that tell the nurses to treat us like shit and to write us up for every little thing just because we want to strike and fight for our rights im sorry if it bothers the person or people we work in health care we have to do what we have to do

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Winsted Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
anybody know him?? Jul 6 Beth Hoyer 2
News Towers Expected To Help Fill Cellphone Gaps (Jul '06) Jun '16 bill 3
Torrington Police Department (Jun '07) May '16 Spaz 42
News Alleged victim recounts sexual assault in '90s (Apr '08) Apr '16 cops are degenerates 84
News Torrington Man's 'Bag Of Bones' Revives Cold Case (Sep '08) Feb '16 livelove 10
News Bridgeport factory conversion financing in place (Dec '15) Dec '15 Citizen44 13
Eddie DuBois (Oct '14) Oct '15 InterNet Ghost 5

Winsted Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Winsted Mortgages