Teenager Pleads Guilty In Fatal Stabbing At Party

Full story: Hartford Courant

The Winsted teen charged in the stabbing death of a 21-year-old during a fight at a New Year's Eve party a year ago in New Hartford has pleaded guilty in the case and will likely be sentenced April 11 to 20 ...
Comments
21 - 26 of 26 Comments Last updated Apr 25, 2010
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
TopNotch Atty

Morganville, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2008

I don't care how big the other guy was, bottom line, its still no excuse to kill him. It was prosecuted as manslaughter becuase thats what the evidence supported. He got what he deserved, I would have fought for more.
Jess

Winsted, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2008

Judged:

ROXY wrote:
Sorry Wayne.........but Dustin was'nt a defenseless person. He broke Ray's nose when he hit him 1st ( punched him 3 times in the face)and towered over him. Dustin was over 6 feet tall and had the upper hand on Ray. Dustin was over 1 foot taller then Ray and 4 years older.
Ray was trying to get him off him. Ray had no where to go an no one was helping him so he pulled out the knife to get him away from him, unfortunately it went right in his heart.
There is no excuse at all to pull out a knife and stab anyone, i dont care how tall or how old or even how drunk someone is. and if he found it compleatly nessasary to pull out a knife why would he go for his heart, if you wanted to get someone away from you with out seriously hurting them then go for the arm or the leg, everyone is just full of excuses, the fact of the matter is he killed someone and he deserves everything he got.
RIP Dustin

Middletown, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2008

Judged:

I know what went on, I was there, I witnessed it first hand, I never thought at such a young age I'd witness a close friends murder. It has truly changed my life forever, and I hope all you white trash Winsted raggies someday "get what's coming to you" for supporting a murdering piece of shit. As me and so many of my other friends, and not to mention his WONDERFUL family, think about Dustin every single day, you sit around thinking about how a scumbag like Raymond Martin doesn't deserve to be in prison. Get a life and keep your ignorant comments to yourself.
Manslaughter

Wallingford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2008

If you were there why didn't you stop Dustin from Beating on Ray..........Before he had the chance to pull out the knife to get him off him! Maybe if some of you got him off Ray, Dustin would still be here today! It wasn't MURDER he plead guilty to Manslaughter :MANSLAUGHTER - The unlawful killing of a human being without malice or premeditation, either express or implied; distinguished from murder, which requires malicious intent.

The distinctions between manslaughter and murder, consists in the following: In the former, though the act which occasions the death be unlawful, or likely to be attended with bodily mischief, yet the malice, either express or implied, which is the very essence of murder, is presumed to be wanting in manslaughter.

It also differs from murder in this, that there can be no accessaries before the fact, there having been no time for premeditation. Manslaugbter is voluntary, when it happens upon a sudden heat; or involuntary, when it takes place in the commission of some unlawful act.

The cases of manslaughter may be classed as follows those which take place in consequence of: 1. Provocation. 2. Mutual combat. 3. Resistance to public officers, etc. 4. Killing in the prosecution of an unlawful or wanton act. 5. Killing in the prosecution of a lawful act, improperly performed, or performed without lawful authority.

The provocation which reduces the killing from murder to manslaughter is an answer to the presumption of malice which the law raises in every case of homicide; it is therefore no answer when express malice is proved and to be available the provocation must have been reasonable and recent, for no words or slight provocation will be sufficient, and if the party has had time to cool, malice will be inferred.

In cases of mutual combat, it is generally manslaughter only when one of the parties is killed. When death ensues from duelling the rule is different, and such killing is murder.

The killing of an officer by resistance to him while acting under lawful authority is murder; but if the officer be acting under a void or illegal authority, or out of his jurisdiction, the killing is manslaughter, or excusable homicide, according to the circumstances of the case.

Killing a person while doing an act of mere wantonness, is manslaughter as, if a person throws down stones in a coal-pit, by which a man is killed, although the offender was only a trespasser.

When death ensues from the performance of a lawful act, it may, in consequence of the negligence of the offender, amount to manslaughter. For instance, if the death has been occasioned by negligent driving. Again, when death ensues, from the gross negligence of a medical or surgical practitioner, it is manslaughter.
Wondering what

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2009

What exactly happend, I'm writing him and wondering what all happend, from people who are on his side!!! I dont need the stupid comments. Is he truely a decent person?
somethin to say

Winsted, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2010

what happened to dustin was sad and i feel sorry for his family. but i was at the trial (plead sentencing) and ray appologized to the family and was nervous but willing ON HIS OWN to appologize. honestly if it was your son who DEFENDED himself against 3GUYS (not just dustin was hitting him) then would you really be saying heartless things about the other person?? you dont know him and if you do know him then you know hes a decent person with a GOOD heart and morals. Its tragic what happened to them both. Ray does not deserve 20 years.. he knows himself that he made a mistake you think he doesnt think about that night every day of his life? guess again. thats not something hes proud of and he knows that. he also is man enough to look them in the eye and say sorry and be sincere about it. have a damn heart!!! his family is going through ALOT and so is he. he has alot of support and love and so does dustins family. ill pray for them..

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Winsted Discussions

Search the Winsted Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
shooting in the 1970's (Oct '12) Jul 7 Deb G 3
Torrington Barber Shops Jun '14 sentral skrutinizer 2
Last-minute battle for tax relief in Stratford May '14 Amazing Carnak 3
CT Who do you support for Governor in Connecticut ... (Oct '10) Apr '14 America Gentleman Samuel 780
Ridgefield looks to renewed Economic Development (Apr '09) Mar '14 Daniel 3
Teens plead guilty to crimes inspired by joke (Jul '08) Sep '13 sarah3 34
CT Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Connectic... (Oct '10) Sep '13 Enid Schmiege 2,048
•••
•••
•••
•••

Winsted Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Winsted People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••