Nursing home looks to hire strike-bre...

Nursing home looks to hire strike-breakers ahead of walkout

There are 21 comments on the Connecticut Post story from Jul 20, 2009, titled Nursing home looks to hire strike-breakers ahead of walkout. In it, Connecticut Post reports that:

With negotiations for a new contract bogged down, the owner of Birmingham Health Center in Derby is interviewing replacement workers for its 100 union employees meeting the needs of the 120-bed facility.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Connecticut Post.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Jul 07

United States

#1 Jul 21, 2009
12 % pay raise in 2 years, are you all nuts. Unions need to step off their high horses and stop robbing people now. I hope they all get replaced if they strike. Lots of people are on lay off and looking and would be happy with a smaller raise, as long as they have a job to get that raise.The unions are gonna kill some of the jobs for them, as they still collect mega bucks and go on with their lives. shame
Hildegard

Elizabeth, NJ

#2 Jul 21, 2009
Unions have already driven the good manufacturing jobs out of the country. They don't care how much the sick and elderly have to pay so long as they get their way. Remember that Obama's healthcare plan rewards the unions for helping him get elected, and sends the bill to the rest of us. If you don't like the conditions where you work, you're free to leave. There is no reason for unions in today's world. Years ago, yes...not now.

“Karma is a b*&@h”

Since: Jan 08

Stratford on the bard

#3 Jul 21, 2009
people at Spectrum need to take lessons from the people who went on strike at Sikorsky. What did they gain? nothing, as a matter of fact they lost money being out of work, and ended up with practically the same contract they were offered. The only people who make out by belonging to unions are the people at the helm of those very unions and it's the workers hard earned money they take in the form of union dues!

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#4 Jul 21, 2009
Hildegard wrote:
There is no reason for unions in today's world. Years ago, yes...not now.
Tell that to the union organizers and the rest of the employees the unions employ to maintain and expand their membership.

Ask our current President if we need to keep unions around after getting countless union volunteers and millions of dollars donated to his campaign. I think he would say "Yes we can"!!!!!

The payback??? Secret ballots eliminated.
Columbus Day

Dallas, TX

#5 Jul 21, 2009
Hildegard wrote:
Unions have already driven the good manufacturing jobs out of the country. They don't care how much the sick and elderly have to pay so long as they get their way. Remember that Obama's healthcare plan rewards the unions for helping him get elected, and sends the bill to the rest of us. If you don't like the conditions where you work, you're free to leave. There is no reason for unions in today's world. Years ago, yes...not now.
The jobs went overseas because of greedy corporate executives. Nobody should go without adequate pay or healthcare so you can buy a cheaper TV you selfish idiot. It is time to increase tarriffs on foreign goods.
Grampy

South Windsor, CT

#7 Jul 21, 2009
Columbus Day wrote:
<quoted text>
The jobs went overseas because of greedy corporate executives. Nobody should go without adequate pay or healthcare so you can buy a cheaper TV you selfish idiot. It is time to increase tarriffs on foreign goods.
How long should these greedy executives be required to keep open uncompetitive factories producing substandard products like GM. Many companies didn't move production overseas, they just went bankrupt.

Location hidden

#8 Jul 21, 2009
Sorry if I upset some union representatives.

Don't just judge me. Post a few links to support that peanut you just gave me. Care to deny anything I just said and back it up?

Talk about your affiliation with ACORN.
Agnes

Bayonne, NJ

#9 Jul 21, 2009
The workers of a Convalescent homes put a lot of their time lifting people, cleaning and doing for this old folks things that are unbelievable and they don't get pay enough and are treated with disrespect from the office.The government should look into this...!
Grampy

South Windsor, CT

#10 Jul 21, 2009
Agnes wrote:
The workers of a Convalescent homes put a lot of their time lifting people, cleaning and doing for this old folks things that are unbelievable and they don't get pay enough and are treated with disrespect from the office.The government should look into this...!
I believe the Obama Healthcare Plan will remedy this. Sytematic rationing of medicine and treatments under the Kervorkian Geriatic strategy will weed out the indigent elderly.

Location hidden

#11 Jul 21, 2009
Agnes wrote:
They are also required to do that lifting with equipment and adequate people AND they have a weight limit that they can safely lift.

Some make light of the patients they take care of, some steal from them, some do no work at all. Some love their jobs, some take care of their patients with respect, some communicate well with patient families, some take the time to feed their patients properly. Just another slice of work life. Some like their jobs, some don't.

They have a job. You perform the task assigned to you and in return your employer gives you a wage.

Disrespect is probably not covered in their contract or someone would have filed a grievance against "the office".
Healthcare worker 2000

AOL

#12 Jul 22, 2009
You may think the pay rate increase is not a good idea but cnas and nurses abuse ther bodys to take care of the sick. They deserve hifg pay reates because over the yeras they may nees knee replacements. foot surgery or even back surgery because of a slipped disc.

Location hidden

#13 Jul 22, 2009
Healthcare worker 2000 wrote:
You may think the pay rate increase is not a good idea but cnas and nurses abuse ther bodys to take care of the sick. They deserve hifg pay reates because over the yeras they may nees knee replacements. foot surgery or even back surgery because of a slipped disc.
See post #11
Grampy

South Windsor, CT

#15 Jul 23, 2009
Middletown Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
See post #11
Where is Zonker? He could shed some light on this subject. How they get him on and off his bed pan? Who does what when they have to restrain him?

Location hidden

#16 Jul 23, 2009
Not realistic wrote:
<quoted text>
"They are also required to do that lifting with equipment and adequate people AND they have a weight limit that they can safely lift."
Great idea - in theory. In fact however many times you don't have all the resources when you need them and you just have to do it yourself.
What you need to do is speak about what you know. If you don't have the resources and must lift someone yourself then you hurt your back, after your file your claim for workers compensation, it will most likely be denied because you haven't adhered to the safe lifting policy of your employer.

I am sure the policies would be adaptable during emergent situations, ie: someone falling in to a tub of water where your NOT moving them would be life threatening. Other than that your moving and lifting should be planned with adequate people and proper equipment.

Location hidden

#17 Jul 23, 2009
Not realistic wrote:
<quoted text>
"They are also required to do that lifting with equipment and adequate people AND they have a weight limit that they can safely lift."
Great idea - in theory. In fact however many times you don't have all the resources when you need them and you just have to do it yourself.
Aside from an emergent situation you will not qualify for workman's compensation if you were to injure yourself. How many emergent situations could you be encountering weekly?

Every facility has a safe lifting policy. Your employer also has to provide safe lifting equipment. Why? Because they don't want their insurance to become inflated after claims have been submitted.
boss man

Niantic, CT

#18 Jul 27, 2009
i suppose the owners of the nursing homes are doing this for the love of the elderly people,they dont have big cars, big houses,remember they are for profit!

Location hidden

#19 Jul 27, 2009
boss man wrote:
i suppose the owners of the nursing homes are doing this for the love of the elderly people,they dont have big cars, big houses,remember they are for profit!
I suppose you also work for free.

So what if they do have big homes, big cars.

"Profit", the money they make after paying their employees wages, their costs of running their business and all other expenditures.

So you think they should be a bunch of Mother Theresas' and Ghandis' doing this for the common good???????
boss man

Niantic, CT

#20 Jul 28, 2009
right, after they pay the employees is their profit,that is why the less you pay them the more they make and that is why all the jobs go to mexico so you sound like one of those people think that should ship our ederly to mexico
Middletown Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
I suppose you also work for free.
So what if they do have big homes, big cars.
"Profit", the money they make after paying their employees wages, their costs of running their business and all other expenditures.
So you think they should be a bunch of Mother Theresas' and Ghandis' doing this for the common good???????

Location hidden

#21 Jul 28, 2009
Now I get the "meanie" face!

This country was built on profit. Without it the people who earned the profit couldn't and wouldn't be so benevolent or philanthropic.
boss man

Niantic, CT

#22 Jul 28, 2009
and most of those people had children and payed workers 10 cents an hour

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Winsted Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Torrington Police Department (Jun '07) Nov '17 ANONYMOUS 44
News Odd inheritance: 1889 landmark courthouse with ... Sep '17 VP Mullah Elect P... 2
Bud in Torrington? Jul '17 Stonerchick 1
Mental health care (Apr '17) May '17 High Plains Drifter 5
News MySpace `Predator' Gets 20-Year Prison Sentence... (Jul '07) Apr '17 Paul Kersey 14
News State Rep. Resigns Over Sex Scandal (Oct '08) Mar '17 Jim amann 5
Church (Feb '17) Feb '17 WOW 2

Winsted Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Winsted Mortgages