Last Lap: Obama Passes Test In Winsted

Last Lap: Obama Passes Test In Winsted

There are 35 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Oct 31, 2008, titled Last Lap: Obama Passes Test In Winsted. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

John Stossel recently reported a segment for ABC News titled "Maybe It's Your Civic Duty Not to Vote." Stossel questioned the benefit of voter registration drives that target young Americans.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
a3digitiq

Binghamton, NY

#1 Oct 31, 2008
This is why you have to be an adult to vote!
Konnecticut_Bett er_Yet

Norwich, CT

#2 Oct 31, 2008
Wow....what a shocker. Did you stop the presses for this one? Last time I checked. Winsted is in libtard Connecticut...

Since: May 08

West Hartford, CT

#4 Oct 31, 2008
Nothing new here...

People of all ages, who have never worked a day in their lives, overwhelming support Obama.
Marc Vincent Russo

Burlington, VT

#5 Oct 31, 2008
These dopey young voters are going to ruin this country just because it is somehow "cool" to vote for Barry Hussein Obama. They have no clue what they are doing or what they are voting for.
Konnecticut_Bett er_Yet

Norwich, CT

#6 Oct 31, 2008
Marc Vincent Russo wrote:
These dopey young voters are going to ruin this country just because it is somehow "cool" to vote for Barry Hussein Obama. They have no clue what they are doing or what they are voting for.
...as the article clearly demonstrates. Blame it on the public school system. This is the product it is producing.
Howell

Weatogue, CT

#7 Oct 31, 2008
Better yet, maybe they are smarter than you think. Maybe they just can't articulate it yet, but my gut tells me that they don't want to be indentured slaves of China. Having to pay off an astronomical debt for a senseless war. Maybe they feel that the Republicans' desire to fight wars in spreading Democracy to open markets for American investment is outdated. Maybe they believe that higher taxes is not about the redistribution of wealth, but about the wealthy paying a fairer share so that the nation doesn't have to borrow from China.

Better yet, maybe they realize that just because John McCain says he is going to cut taxes, doesn't necessarily mean he won't spend more overseas. The only Republican President in recent memory who didn't run up the deficit was Bush the 1st. As far as Reagan and Bush the 2nd, well all they did was cut taxes and spend more than anyone else which doesn't do the children of tomorrow any good.
Really

Windsor, CT

#9 Oct 31, 2008
This type of reporting is just one of the reasons I stopped getting this filthy rag of a newspaper. Every day there has been something about Obama. Obama did this...Obama did that...Obama is the new Messiah! Why don't you get out there and poll the intelligent people around the State? I think you will get a very different picture of the political climate!
PASS THE WORD

United States

#10 Oct 31, 2008
Pass the word to one and all. We have a chance this year to take government back from the real criminals in this state, the politicians. VOTE YES FOR A CONSTITUTIONAL CONVENTION. The only people against this are the corrupt politicians and their friends the lobbyists. The lobbyists can't control us like the corrupt politicians. Remember how JODI was going to clean up the state. Remember how the criminals refused to pass legislation taking away pensions from criminals like Johnny Boy.

VOTE ON ELECTION DAY FOR A MAJOR CHANGE PASS THE WORD
DJH

United States

#11 Oct 31, 2008
As a classroom teaching tactic, mock elections are fine. They scare up interest in civics and politics, among kids who might not care much about them.

But seriously ... is this really news? When I was in school we did lots of activities of this sort. We dissected frogs to learn about anatomy, we staged scenes in order to learn Shakespeare, we played instruments to learn about music, we set up mock stock-markets to learn how finance works ...

... but none of that was reported in a newspaper! Nor should it have been!

So why are we reading about this, here, now?
A Realist

Newington, CT

#12 Oct 31, 2008
Howell wrote:
Better yet, maybe they are smarter than you think. Maybe they just can't articulate it yet, but my gut tells me that they don't want to be indentured slaves of China. Having to pay off an astronomical debt for a senseless war. Maybe they feel that the Republicans' desire to fight wars in spreading Democracy to open markets for American investment is outdated. Maybe they believe that higher taxes is not about the redistribution of wealth, but about the wealthy paying a fairer share so that the nation doesn't have to borrow from China.
Better yet, maybe they realize that just because John McCain says he is going to cut taxes, doesn't necessarily mean he won't spend more overseas. The only Republican President in recent memory who didn't run up the deficit was Bush the 1st. As far as Reagan and Bush the 2nd, well all they did was cut taxes and spend more than anyone else which doesn't do the children of tomorrow any good.
After seeing what is happening in my grandson's school where after they had their mock election actually a caucus, he noticed that the teacher was cool to him because he picked McCain (He thinks Sarah Palin is Hot, he is a kid). The teacher stops calling on him, treats him different. In otherwords not in a very professional manner. I find this distressing since the Democrat party has always told me that they tolerate dissent and diversity. I guess it is only when you agree with them.
One VOice

New York, NY

#13 Oct 31, 2008
A Realist wrote:
<quoted text>
After seeing what is happening in my grandson's school where after they had their mock election actually a caucus, he noticed that the teacher was cool to him because he picked McCain (He thinks Sarah Palin is Hot, he is a kid). The teacher stops calling on him, treats him different. In otherwords not in a very professional manner. I find this distressing since the Democrat party has always told me that they tolerate dissent and diversity. I guess it is only when you agree with them.
What a shame. It's even worse in colleges. But you are absolutely right, many many of today's democrats believe in diversity and dissent, as long as you agree with them.
One VOice

New York, NY

#14 Oct 31, 2008
DJH wrote:
... but none of that was reported in a newspaper! Nor should it have been!
So why are we reading about this, here, now?
We're reading about it because the Courant is supporting and promoting Obama. Part of its agenda is to campaign for its candidate as much as possible.
So much for a newspaper "reporting" the news.
I don't like it when a "newspaper" supports a candidate. It makes it extremely clear that the paper will not be unbiased. And I believe that regardless of whether the paper supports a Republican or Democrat.
Howell

Weatogue, CT

#15 Oct 31, 2008
A Realist wrote:
<quoted text>
After seeing what is happening in my grandson's school where after they had their mock election actually a caucus, he noticed that the teacher was cool to him because he picked McCain (He thinks Sarah Palin is Hot, he is a kid). The teacher stops calling on him, treats him different. In otherwords not in a very professional manner. I find this distressing since the Democrat party has always told me that they tolerate dissent and diversity. I guess it is only when you agree with them.
The teacher is obviously wrong. I would be interested in knowing of which generation this teacher belongs. But I don't think the Democratic party has sole ownership of such beliefs. I believe that the Republican party is worse because they admittedly don't tolerate dissent and diversity.

This is the nature of politics and religion. This is why these two subjects are usually avoided because they tend not to bring out the best in people, but bring out the worst. So naturally when you mix the two, as do the Republicans, you get a dangerous mixture.
Buttercup

Colchester, CT

#16 Oct 31, 2008
I'm all in favor of educating kids on the process, but asking them to explain why they chose the candidate they did is just plain ridiculous. They're supposed to learn how...not understand why.
One Voice

New York, NY

#17 Oct 31, 2008
Howell wrote:
<quoted text>
The teacher is obviously wrong. I would be interested in knowing of which generation this teacher belongs. But I don't think the Democratic party has sole ownership of such beliefs. I believe that the Republican party is worse because they admittedly don't tolerate dissent and diversity.
This is the nature of politics and religion. This is why these two subjects are usually avoided because they tend not to bring out the best in people, but bring out the worst. So naturally when you mix the two, as do the Republicans, you get a dangerous mixture.
Well, I haven't heard any stories about Republican teachers being biased to students, but I've heard tons of stories of college professors treating conservative students unfairly, giving them lower gradess, etc. ALso, it's no secret that the teachers unions consistently promote the democrat candidates.
I'm certainly not trying to be argumentative, I'm just commenting on what I've seen and heard.
jim

Middlefield, CT

#18 Oct 31, 2008
In the 18th century, when this country was new, the 18 year olds demonstrated a much higher level of maturity. They had to grow up more quickly because their life expectancies were only mid 40s. Virtually all of them were working full time jobs. NOT 40 hours a week, but 70 or 80 minimum. Many were already married and starting families. They had a greater understanding of the world around them, because they were actively contributing to it. Todays 18 year olds are a far cry from their ancestors. 18 is too young to vote in this day and age, and 35 is too young to run for president.
Konnecticut_Bett er_Yet

Norwich, CT

#19 Oct 31, 2008
Howell wrote:
<quoted text>
The teacher is obviously wrong. I would be interested in knowing of which generation this teacher belongs. But I don't think the Democratic party has sole ownership of such beliefs. I believe that the Republican party is worse because they admittedly don't tolerate dissent and diversity.
This is the nature of politics and religion. This is why these two subjects are usually avoided because they tend not to bring out the best in people, but bring out the worst. So naturally when you mix the two, as do the Republicans, you get a dangerous mixture.
Which generation? Try which union! The Democrats have been very good to teacher's special interest and their union, as they are to all special interest and unions. They will defend, rabidly, a Democrat to the death, especially in this state! Hello?
Konnecticut_Bett er_Yet

Norwich, CT

#20 Oct 31, 2008
jim wrote:
In the 18th century, when this country was new, the 18 year olds demonstrated a much higher level of maturity. They had to grow up more quickly because their life expectancies were only mid 40s. Virtually all of them were working full time jobs. NOT 40 hours a week, but 70 or 80 minimum. Many were already married and starting families. They had a greater understanding of the world around them, because they were actively contributing to it. Todays 18 year olds are a far cry from their ancestors. 18 is too young to vote in this day and age, and 35 is too young to run for president.
You are right on. But more importantly, many OWNED PROPERTY at 18 years old, and paid taxes, including taxes on said property. Back then, only property owners could vote. Maybe we should go back to that. Kids and rent payers, who don't have much, if anything at stake, should not be influencing what can happen to those who do own property and can be devastated by government policy.

“Not PC”

Since: Feb 08

Charlotte, NC

#21 Oct 31, 2008
Good to know that the teachers are doing a good job of brainwashing the students at a young age. Get them while they're young and impressionable. That way by the time they're adults they will be full blown liberals who don't believe in God, have no morals or ethics and defend the killing of innocent babies. Nice.
Shawn M Lang

West Hartford, CT

#22 Nov 1, 2008
Really wrote:
This type of reporting is just one of the reasons I stopped getting this filthy rag of a newspaper. Every day there has been something about Obama. Obama did this...Obama did that...Obama is the new Messiah! Why don't you get out there and poll the intelligent people around the State? I think you will get a very different picture of the political climate!
Yet, you're still reading and commenting on it. Go figure.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Winsted Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bud in Torrington? Jul 29 Stonerchick 1
Torrington Police Department (Jun '07) Jun '17 Elliot Ness 43
Mental health care May '17 High Plains Drifter 5
News MySpace `Predator' Gets 20-Year Prison Sentence... (Jul '07) Apr '17 Paul Kersey 14
News State Rep. Resigns Over Sex Scandal (Oct '08) Mar '17 Jim amann 5
Church Feb '17 WOW 2
take a look (Feb '17) Feb '17 The News Reporter 2

Winsted Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Winsted Mortgages