best ball team ever from winona?

Posted in the Winona Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
wondering

Springfield, MO

#1 Jan 21, 2011
I would have to place three different teams on this topic, the only three to win district titles! the first one(89-90) would be with steve bell, gilbert miley, ryan bland, robert stein, michael volyes, etc! second would be (97-98) with adam ipock, doug denning, preston hoagland, patrick jaques, steve haynes, etc.. third would be (01-02) with cale pasley, clayton gonzales, jared kelly, charles neal, tj hilton, etc....tell me what you guys think? those are the ones that come to mind! also add best players to ever play at winona..
top ten for me.(i dont know any personally before 87)
1. adam ipock
2. steve bell
3. gilbert miley
4. jared kelly
5. greg wakefield
6. donnie wakefield
7. patrick jagues
8. clayton gonzales
9. steve haynes
10. doug denning
Yea

Chicago, IL

#2 Jan 21, 2011
I would say those 3 teams where best then though you forget 04-05 won 20 games. Won the conference when 3 teams won their district in the conference. Got second in Cabool and Ellington tourny. They weren't as good as the 3 up there but still pretty good.
wondering

Springfield, MO

#3 Jan 21, 2011
i agree, they had a good team, watched them a few times, had some good players in ryan hilton, casey yardley, rocky daily, and brandon volyes! but i dont think they could hang with the likes of the other three! i think the most taented team was the one with greg wakefield, chipper yardley, rusty lindsey, randell ipock, rodney counts, and the prewett guy! but never got the most out of them!
Yea

Chicago, IL

#4 Jan 21, 2011
They had some stellar baseball teams back then to didn't they?
wondering

Springfield, MO

#5 Jan 21, 2011
yeah i believe so, i think the 00-01 baseball team was pretty talented, believe bryan simpson still holds the home run record, the 98-99 team was very talented to with hoagland and denning! greg wakefields team was very good as well. but i really think some of the most talented players were in the late 80s and early 90s with donnie wakefield, gilbert miley, and a few other picthers as well! winona has some great history with baseball and basketball!
sportsfanatic

Branson, MO

#6 Jan 21, 2011
Personally, I think that the 89-90 team was the best Winona has ever had... That group was made up of Winona kids instead of a foreign exchange player or two. Winona has always been known for their baseball and there has been some really talented teams.
lol

United States

#7 Jan 21, 2011
Yeah buddy! Winona is known for their baseball team alright. Look, the only thing Winona is known for is meth, fighting, welfare, and did I mention meth?
someone who knows

United States

#8 Jan 21, 2011
I would say that Donnie Wakefield was the best basketball and baseball player to ever play for Winona.
Area Person

Jackson, MO

#9 Jan 21, 2011
There is a guy in the Missouri record book from Winona for scoring 100pts or something so I think he would need to be on any top 10 list.
sportsfanatic

Branson, MO

#10 Jan 21, 2011
Area Person wrote:
There is a guy in the Missouri record book from Winona for scoring 100pts or something so I think he would need to be on any top 10 list.
JD Boyer is the guys name and yes he does belong on the top ten. I believe that he went on to play for SMS for a year or two. I agree that donnie wakefield was the best baseball player to come out of Winona, but adam ipock was the best in basketball.
Not the record keeper

Cross Timbers, MO

#11 Jan 21, 2011
Basketball 1955
93 pts. J.D. Boyer, Winona High (W 126-57) Fremont, 2/8/1955 (Missouri)(37-52 FG, 19-26 FT)
Look who he beat as a high school top scorer...
90 pts. Wilt Chamberlain, Overbrook (W 123-21) Roxborough, 2/17/1955 (Pennsylvania)(36 FG)
lol

United States

#12 Jan 21, 2011
This is too funny. Holding on to the glory days. Winona is truly pathetic.
Not the record keeper

Cross Timbers, MO

#13 Jan 21, 2011
But YOUR team can't beat this record from 1955...

I'm enjoying this years Winona team...Enjoying the surrounding teams who are also playing well. It's a fun year!
Area Person

Jackson, MO

#14 Jan 22, 2011
Dougie Norris is the best baseball player to graduate from Winona, even though Donnie was AMAZING. Adam isn't even close to the best, Steve Bell could have kept him from ever catching the ball,and if Gilbert was mad , Adam would have had a bad night.

Ryan could stroke it, Robert was underrated, Gilbert when motivated was GOOD, Steve was amazing on defense and just ball instincts, and Michael was the guy who did the "dirty" work, the guy who allowed the wins...the screener, the guy who dove on the ground, and got the rebound when you HAD to have it. That team was the best I seen from Winona, and I started really watching high school around 84 or so.
Whatever

Rockaway Beach, MO

#15 Jan 22, 2011
Dougie Norris played 1 year, plus he was older than everyone else because he failed a year in Oregon before he came here, so it was his 5th year of hs baseball. Taking nothing away from him, he was a good player too. But he just played 1 year at Winona.
someone who knows

United States

#16 Jan 22, 2011
Thats why donnie was also the best basketball player, 4years all conference, 2 years mvp in bsc and i believe 2 years all-state 1st team..
Area Person

Jackson, MO

#17 Jan 22, 2011
Donnie was the best basketball and baseball combined that I have seen at Winona, no question.
lol

United States

#18 Jan 22, 2011
Oh Donnie. You make me so wet.
Whatever

Troy, MO

#19 Jan 22, 2011
Donnie and Gilbert were both good, at best!! Someone has a colorful memory.
Area Person

Jackson, MO

#20 Jan 23, 2011
I remember one game when the pro-scouts came to watch Dougie play, and Donnie hit a ball of the right-center field fence one-handed. Good times.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Winona Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Smith Family 10 hr Thads Friend 52
drug bust on E hwy. (May '09) 13 hr Why 18
How can I get ahold of Donna Hanger 14 hr Yep 6
State Representative Pogue needs to GO 17 hr concerned voter 1
Pogue needs to GO 17 hr concerned voter 1
City electric Mon Barnaby Jones 13
Ky3 Jun 24 Amazed 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Winona Mortgages