Minnesota bishops plan campaign again...

Minnesota bishops plan campaign against gay marriage

There are 302 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Sep 21, 2010, titled Minnesota bishops plan campaign against gay marriage. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Minnesota's Roman Catholic bishops are launching a new effort against same-sex marriage, with a DVD being mailed to parishioners in the next few days.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 16
Next Last
Pat

Westport, CT

#1 Sep 21, 2010
"but members of Winona's legislative delegation told the newspaper the budget crisis was currently more important to voters."

Gay marriage will affect the budget. Expanding spousal benefits to so called gay 'marriages' will cost the government, and taxpayers, a huge amount of money.

No wonder we have a budget crisis, these people are idiots.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
vetinwbl

Minneapolis, MN

#2 Sep 21, 2010
Catholic Bishops should worry about cleaning up their own act before worrying about Gay Marriage,maybe talk to some abuse cases instead running and hiding from them.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
FilmAtTen

AOL

#3 Sep 21, 2010
Pat wrote:
"but members of Winona's legislative delegation told the newspaper the budget crisis was currently more important to voters."
Gay marriage will affect the budget. Expanding spousal benefits to so called gay 'marriages' will cost the government, and taxpayers, a huge amount of money.
I happen to agree with you, but I think they should concentrate their efforts of controling their own priests first....like, keep it in your pants, or....a no children molested campain.

I have to laugh at what is going on in Irish territory now-days....don`t you? Things are catching up to the Catholic church at last, and it`s about time!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
CatholicStraight NotAffaid

Saint Paul, MN

#4 Sep 21, 2010
What a waste of money, time and energy. The Catholic Church sits on their hands during
Health Care Reform but pipes up on a non-issue. Shame on them, stirring the hate pot. Those Bishops should seriously consider saying 5 Hail Mary's and 10 Our Father's and hope that God forgives them before they're in line to see St. Peter.
Pat wrote:

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Pat

Westport, CT

#5 Sep 21, 2010
Changing the subject are we? Off topic posts? OK.

The public school system has a higher percentage of child molestation problems than the Catholic church.

You won't see the main stream media report that.

Now, the subject is gay marriage. Try and focus.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#6 Sep 21, 2010
Pat wrote:
Well then......if you want to save money, why not take away the spousal benefits of all marrieds? Wouldn't that make it more unattractive to gay activists? Then the heteros could go out and spend the thousands of dollars my spouse and I have to protect themselves in court and ensure they have visitation rights in the hospital and the ability to make decisions for their spouses when the spouse is in a coma. Sounds like a good way to balance the budget to me, and to increase the income of the lawyers, who we all know pay huge amounts of taxes.(sarcasm)
Annie

Hopkins, MN

#7 Sep 21, 2010
Pat wrote:
Changing the subject are we? Off topic posts? OK.
The public school system has a higher percentage of child molestation problems than the Catholic church.
You won't see the main stream media report that.
Now, the subject is gay marriage. Try and focus.
Where's your source, Pat?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
club church

Saint Paul, MN

#8 Sep 21, 2010
lets put it like this if you are a tax exempted church and spread hatred. witch they are doing. they are not a church but a gang. trying to force there narrow views on the world they should have all privileges of being a church taken away. and be called what they are a gang or a club that has to pay taxes like every one else
im sorry but some churches are the problem not the solution . they should be preaching love and forgiveness and acceptance not hate and discontent

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
adoxastos

Saint Paul, MN

#9 Sep 21, 2010
I am a Catholic. The Church has a perfect right to say that it is against same-saex marrisge even though I personally find the scripturall basis for it rather weak. And no religious or secular entity has any rught to tell the populace at large who they can and can not have have a committed relationship with. That is of our rights as Americans and one of the reasons for the separation of church and state

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Smoke Screen

Rosemount, MN

#10 Sep 21, 2010
Perhaps the Catholic hierarchy believes that playing the "gay" card to whip up the bigots in their ranks will distract the public in general from their abysmal record on child molestation by the clergy as well as the church's wrong-headed opposition to sex education and birth control. Conservatives in the Catholic Church and conservatives of all religious sects around the world are responsible for much suffering against secular people and will be held to account--by their respective God.
My opinion

San Jose, CA

#11 Sep 21, 2010
club church wrote:
lets put it like this if you are a tax exempted church and spread hatred. witch they are doing. they are not a church but a gang. trying to force there narrow views on the world they should have all privileges of being a church taken away. and be called what they are a gang or a club that has to pay taxes like every one else
im sorry but some churches are the problem not the solution . they should be preaching love and forgiveness and acceptance not hate and discontent
I agree, If the Cathoholic Clergy want to become politicians lets pull their tax exempt status. I think that would take care of a big chunk of the budget shortfall.
Milly

Minneapolis, MN

#12 Sep 21, 2010
I am a Catholic in this Archdiocese & I plan to write "Will Not Accept" and return the CD or DVD, unopened, to the Archdiocese. I invite others to do so too. This is outrageous. No one is asking the Catholic Church to acknowledge or perform same-sex marriages any more than they do divorce and re-marriage. What we are talking about here is equal rights for a large segment of our society. Same sex marriage will NOT be detrimental to hetero marriage. Alcohol, drugs, lack of commitment, joblessness and boredom are the real perils to marriage these days. That, and society's acceptance of living and procreating together outside of marriage. The Church is on my last nerve with this one!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“REUNITE GONDWANALAND!”

Since: Jun 08

Woodbury

#14 Sep 21, 2010
The issue here is civil marriage, which will have absolutely NO effect on the Catholic church. Because of the First Amendment, no church, synagogue, mosque or temple could be forced to perform any type of marriage with which it disagrees, which begs the question: why is the Catholic church getting involved in this issue?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Skeptic

Minneapolis, MN

#15 Sep 21, 2010
Darwinian wrote:
The issue here is civil marriage, which will have absolutely NO effect on the Catholic church. Because of the First Amendment, no church, synagogue, mosque or temple could be forced to perform any type of marriage with which it disagrees, which begs the question: why is the Catholic church getting involved in this issue?
Maybe they see the same thing that happened in Canada coming down the road to the US.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
ForReal

Saint Paul, MN

#16 Sep 21, 2010
Annie wrote:
<quoted text>
Where's your source, Pat?
Pat can look for a source but won't find one because it's not true. Unless of course it's something put out by the church itself.

I for one it's great if the Catholic Church wants to be involved in the political arena. Bye bye tax exempt status, by bye budget woes.
Jake

United States

#17 Sep 21, 2010
Rot in hell butt -- pirates and car-pet munchers. You've done plenty to try and destroy the family with your perverted sins...

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Jake

United States

#18 Sep 21, 2010
adoxastos wrote:
I am a Catholic. The Church has a perfect right to say that it is against same-saex marrisge even though I personally find the scripturall basis for it rather weak. And no religious or secular entity has any rught to tell the populace at large who they can and can not have have a committed relationship with. That is of our rights as Americans and one of the reasons for the separation of church and state
You must have attended the Stevie Wonder School of spelling...

Since: Aug 10

Here

#19 Sep 21, 2010
Darwinian wrote:
As another poster mentioned... Canada. Here in the US there are and have been plenty of discrimination suits filed by gays so it certainly isn't out of the question.
sam saraband

Vancouver, WA

#20 Sep 21, 2010
The Catholic church is again spreading their hateful messages about gays and lesbians. Didn't God make everyone? Perhaps it is just another ploy to take away attention from their sexual predator leaders. Hopefully they will see the evilness of their ways before they hurt to many more people
Common Sense

United States

#21 Sep 21, 2010
adoxastos wrote:
Devils are in Churches as well. I believe you might be one of them.

I am incredulous that you would say there is NO scriptural basis. Please pick up the next Bible you find and read Romans Chapter 1 verses 15-30. There is a very good example of why God is against same gender relationships. The actions of same gender relationships are an abomination against God/Christ and God gives these people up to a lost mind. A mind that can justify these unnatural preversities.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 16
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Winona Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
King Mansions (Feb '07) Jan 12 Drud 63
help me find an old friend (Feb '14) Feb '16 Cwolfe918507 3
News Federal contractor Fastenal fined $1.3 million ... (Oct '15) Oct '15 Spotted Girl 1
Participate in an Important Transportation Focu... (May '15) May '15 SEMNTravelStudy 1
News Mechanic finds 'Favre' goat in trunk (Aug '09) Oct '14 Tyler 2
10,150 - Judge Fabian Gone (Oct '09) Aug '14 smarter than you 9
News Hells Angels, Outlaws motorcycle gangs brawl in... (Apr '10) Jul '14 noneya 151

Winona Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Winona Mortgages