More problems with Mississippi River ...

More problems with Mississippi River Bridge at Winona

There are 20 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Jun 5, 2010, titled More problems with Mississippi River Bridge at Winona. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Just two years after a bridge in southern Minnesota was shut down for repairs, transportation officials found similar problems.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

Bridge Neglect

Saint Paul, MN

#1 Jun 5, 2010
Example of neglect! Who is responsible for painting the bridge??? Rust would not happen if they painted the dam bridge!!! Guess they are looking for an excuse to do some pork spending and build a new bridge!
Freedom Lover

Minneapolis, MN

#2 Jun 5, 2010
Bridge Neglect wrote:
Example of neglect! Who is responsible for painting the bridge??? Rust would not happen if they painted the dam bridge!!! Guess they are looking for an excuse to do some pork spending and build a new bridge!
You're close. In all their sanctimoniousness, the Met Council has initiated a plan to make us all dependant on busses and light rail. That way they can control another element of our lives. Just like our Affirmative Action President did with health care. Soon we'll have to ask for permission to put a patty of butter on our pancakes. But first we'll need permission to use one of our transportation tokens to go to the store.
R Peltier

Minneapolis, MN

#3 Jun 5, 2010
There's bridges in NYC built in the late 1800's that are now carrying many times their design load. They have even put multiple decks on them. Why aren't new bridges built to last? It's far cheaper to make one that will last 100+ years than to tear them down after 50 years. I know the Winona bridge is 70 but I'm talking about the freeway bridges in the twin cities, it just makes no sense.
Daniel Bliss

United States

#4 Jun 5, 2010
To all Tea Baggers out there: We'll see more of this in the years to come, as the antipathy of taxation takes its toll. Taxes pay for bridges, among all the other things of modern society. Go ahead and flame me, but if you're honest with yourselves, you'll remember the damage you're doing to our country.
Jason

Minneapolis, MN

#5 Jun 5, 2010
Freedom Lover wrote:
<quoted text>You're close. In all their sanctimoniousness, the Met Council has initiated a plan to make us all dependant on busses and light rail. That way they can control another element of our lives. Just like our Affirmative Action President did with health care. Soon we'll have to ask for permission to put a patty of butter on our pancakes. But first we'll need permission to use one of our transportation tokens to go to the store.
Well the Met Council has absolutely nothing to do with the bridge in Winona, but hey nice try anyhow. It's one thing to put your political views out there, but next time do you think you could at least have it fit the proper region.
Freedom Lover

Minneapolis, MN

#6 Jun 5, 2010
Daniel Bliss wrote:
To all Tea Baggers out there: We'll see more of this in the years to come, as the antipathy of taxation takes its toll. Taxes pay for bridges, among all the other things of modern society. Go ahead and flame me, but if you're honest with yourselves, you'll remember the damage you're doing to our country.
I don't think anyone has any real problem with the development and maintenance of infrastructure. We hace big problems with the lack of accountability of say, the Pt. Paul Public Works Department. Why wasn't anyone canned? I see no logic in closing some community centers so NOW Sy Paul can build another one. And why is the city constructing a "place of worship?" They are. Shouldn't the responsibility for that fall on those whose god will be praised there? And how much does Chris Coleman squander to see to it that his "Sanctuary City" meets its obligations to their illega;s?
Ignorance IS Bliss

Saint Paul, MN

#7 Jun 5, 2010
Tax revenue is being urinated away on JUNK!

How difficult is it to maintain roads and bridges?

Gobernut is broken to a point of being stupidly!
flip

Chanhassen, MN

#8 Jun 5, 2010
if our tax dollars were only spent on infrastructure and national defense, (as those are probably the only things the fed should be involved in) instead of the myriad of wasteful, good for nothing programs that have no real use, are not their responsibility, and they have no Right to be involved in we would all be a lot better off.
Jason

Minneapolis, MN

#9 Jun 5, 2010
Daniel Bliss wrote:
Yeah taxes do pay for bridges, as a matter of fact with all of the transportation taxes levied against commercial vehicles alone there should be enough to cover the cost of all bridge and highway maintenance. The last time I checked, for some mysterious reason there isn't enough in the coffers to cover these costs.....oh wait, that's right, the current administration is busy tapping into it to pay for other programs that give free services to those that want to leech off the system. Maybe you should rethink your theory before you start pointing fingers. Try holding your political heroes responsible for their senseless misappropriation of funds.
Audit Fed Reserve

Albertville, MN

#10 Jun 5, 2010
Daniel Bliss wrote:
Federal Income taxes from Americans don't pay for bridges, they just pay the interest on the national debt. Absolutely no taxes go to building bridges. Gas taxes pay for transportation infrastructure. Audit the private bankers(Fed Reserve-NY and all the other Fed Reserve branches from there) who are bilking Americans.
Audit Fed Reserve

Albertville, MN

#11 Jun 5, 2010
......no income taxes go to building bridges.
Fed is phocked up

Minneapolis, MN

#12 Jun 5, 2010
Audit Fed Reserve wrote:
<quoted text> Federal Income taxes from Americans don't pay for bridges, they just pay the interest on the national debt. Absolutely no taxes go to building bridges. Gas taxes pay for transportation infrastructure. Audit the private bankers(Fed Reserve-NY and all the other Fed Reserve branches from there) who are bilking Americans.
Truth you say, the Fed Reserve is clearly phocked up. Their agendas have nothing to do with the best interests of citzens. It's just another federal agency BUT they play the private concern card at the same time they take advantage of being a gobernut agency.

The Fed was formed to prevent bank failures etc and did they?

NO!

They do a fine job of supporting banks while the country is wrecked by the large banks and junk gobernut stuff like Fanny Mae and Freddy Mac. Get rid of the Fed!!!

They are a huge waste of money!!!
Daniel Bliss

United States

#13 Jun 5, 2010
Freedom Lover wrote:
<quoted text>I don't think anyone has any real problem with the development and maintenance of infrastructure. We hace big problems with the lack of accountability of say, the Pt. Paul Public Works Department. Why wasn't anyone canned? I see no logic in closing some community centers so NOW Sy Paul can build another one. And why is the city constructing a "place of worship?" They are. Shouldn't the responsibility for that fall on those whose god will be praised there? And how much does Chris Coleman squander to see to it that his "Sanctuary City" meets its obligations to their illega;s?
Yep, those couple bad apples on the ground means cut down the tree, doesn't it?
Daniel Bliss

United States

#14 Jun 5, 2010
Audit Fed Reserve wrote:
<quoted text> Federal Income taxes from Americans don't pay for bridges, they just pay the interest on the national debt. Absolutely no taxes go to building bridges. Gas taxes pay for transportation infrastructure. Audit the private bankers(Fed Reserve-NY and all the other Fed Reserve branches from there) who are bilking Americans.
You do understand the concept of metaphor, don't you? Taxes today are lower than any point in the past 60 years. If you don't want taxes, then don't drive, don't get sick, don't protect America, don't eat, and don't breath. Because taxes help ALL of those things for everyone. You just don't see how. Then you need to audit how affect THOSE things and be honest with yourself, instead of just expecting everything to be a ripoff of the taxpayer. I do agree that the banks need to atone for their sins, however. And yes, gas taxes are still taxes.
Carbon Bigfoot

United States

#15 Jun 6, 2010
Daniel Bliss wrote:
What do taxes have to do with people who like weird sexual acts? I hope they aren't doing them on the Winona bridge!
Rob

Minneapolis, MN

#16 Jun 6, 2010
Freedom Lover wrote:
<quoted text>You're close. In all their sanctimoniousness, the Met Council has initiated a plan to make us all dependant on busses and light rail. That way they can control another element of our lives. Just like our Affirmative Action President did with health care. Soon we'll have to ask for permission to put a patty of butter on our pancakes. But first we'll need permission to use one of our transportation tokens to go to the store.
I can't wait to see you crammed in with everyone else, sweaty and uncomfortably close to someone of a race or social class you find repugnant.
Magic

Saint Paul, MN

#17 Jun 6, 2010
I thought MnDOT used the "worn out when it drops" method of bridge inspection?
Tammy

Hopkins, MN

#18 Jun 6, 2010
Daniel Bliss wrote:
<quoted text>Taxes today are lower than any point in the past 60 years. If you don't want taxes, then don't drive, don't get sick, don't protect America, don't eat, and don't breath. Because taxes help ALL of those things for everyone. You just don't see how.
You are the one who doesn't see how much of our tax dollars are wasted. Government could be less than half as large as it is now and we would all benefit from having that heavy weight lifted from our shoulders.
felix

Saint Paul, MN

#19 Jun 6, 2010
molnau's fault of course, no got to be bush
felix

Saint Paul, MN

#20 Jun 6, 2010
Daniel Bliss wrote:
PIG !!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Winona Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
King Mansions (Feb '07) Aug 23 Tom C 62
help me find an old friend (Feb '14) Feb '16 Cwolfe918507 3
News Federal contractor Fastenal fined $1.3 million ... (Oct '15) Oct '15 Spotted Girl 1
Participate in an Important Transportation Focu... (May '15) May '15 SEMNTravelStudy 1
News Mechanic finds 'Favre' goat in trunk (Aug '09) Oct '14 Tyler 2
10,150 - Judge Fabian Gone (Oct '09) Aug '14 smarter than you 9
News Hells Angels, Outlaws motorcycle gangs brawl in... (Apr '10) Jul '14 noneya 151

Winona Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Winona Mortgages