Mississippi expected to rise 10 feet in next 7 days

Full story: TwinCities.com

City of Winona employees Keith Loth, left, and Charlie Casperson, middle left, fill sandbags on Thursday, March 17, 2011, at the Central Garage in Winona, Minn.
Comments
1 - 13 of 13 Comments Last updated Mar 19, 2011
jimmy

Columbus, IN

#1 Mar 18, 2011
sure hope it doesn't rain for ahile.
RCA

Seattle, WA

#2 Mar 18, 2011
Okay, the river is going to flood. But why? How do we know this? Where is the water going to come from?
Danielle

Minneapolis, MN

#3 Mar 18, 2011
RCA wrote:
Okay, the river is going to flood. But why? How do we know this? Where is the water going to come from?
Are u kidding? The melting snow!....maybe u should stick to your local paper and not read about what u clearly have no business in...
AntiMelting

Brainerd, MN

#4 Mar 18, 2011
RCA wrote:
From north of you.

“Pillars of Creation....”

Since: Jan 11

Into this world we're thrown

#5 Mar 18, 2011
RCA wrote:
The water comes from up river. In MN. the northern part of the state typically has more snow then the southern half. As the snow melts in the south the river gets higher. As the warm air makes it way north the northern snows start to melt and adds to the high water.

In short the water comes from the melting snow and any spring rains we get. The ground is saturated and it doesnt absorb the moisture as quickly so the water has no where to go, but, in our houses and buildings.
;0(
RetiredGuy

Turtle Lake, WI

#6 Mar 18, 2011
It comes from the North and the South. Check a map. The Minnesota River flows North. They meet at Fort Snelling and then the flow goes through the narrows in Downtown Saint Paul.
Nailin Palin

Saint Paul, MN

#7 Mar 18, 2011
Thanks a lot for change, OBAMA!!!

“Pillars of Creation....”

Since: Jan 11

Into this world we're thrown

#8 Mar 18, 2011
RetiredGuy wrote:
It comes from the North and the South. Check a map. The Minnesota River flows North. They meet at Fort Snelling and then the flow goes through the narrows in Downtown Saint Paul.
Good point retired guy. I'm actually farther below ST. Paul; so there are a number of other rivers and crekks that also feed into the mighty mississip........
app

Saint Paul, MN

#9 Mar 18, 2011
RCA wrote:
Are you for real?...sheesh...
Roll on Big Muddy

Minneapolis, MN

#10 Mar 18, 2011
Roll on big muddy.
Wash away the crooks and fools.
well I will be bout time

Saint Paul, MN

#11 Mar 18, 2011
PANIC!!!!! PANIC!!!!! PAN..... oh hey there is a house for sale over in Andover, and hey it is well above the flood plain....
maybe, just maybe, I should move there and give up forcing thousands upon thousands of clueless people who think they are stronger than nature (umm see Japan for those of you who think you are stronger than Nature) to do my dirty work for me and save my house/business that goes under water every year due to my own stupidity.....
huh, who'd a thunk....
blindman

Lady Lake, FL

#12 Mar 19, 2011
RCA wrote:
Stick Around!
NUTSTOU

Saint Paul, MN

#13 Mar 19, 2011
Kudos to all those St. Paul politicians that pushed all the development on the upper levee area. If the folks that bought there are lucky, their only problem will be getting to and from their homes! They will all be singing Johhny Cash's song "How Highs The Water Mama"!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Winona Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
10,150 - Judge Fabian Gone (Oct '09) Aug 21 smarter than you 9
MN Who do you support for Governor in Minnesota in... (Oct '10) Aug 2 Go Blue Forever 848
Hells Angels, Outlaws motorcycle gangs brawl in... (Apr '10) Jul '14 noneya 151
North St. Paul pins hopes on building fiber opt... (Jan '09) Jul '14 Turk 1,754
King Mansions (Feb '07) Mar '14 borniniowa 59
help me find an old friend (Feb '14) Feb '14 THE CEO 1
Caledonia Judge James A. Fabian's Courtroom Cov... (Sep '09) Jan '14 Smarter Than You 13
•••

Flood Warning for Winona County was issued at August 29 at 3:15PM CDT

•••
•••
•••

Winona Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Winona People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE