Off-duty officer who fired gun at Win...

Off-duty officer who fired gun at Winona campground won't be charged

There are 74 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Sep 16, 2010, titled Off-duty officer who fired gun at Winona campground won't be charged. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Winona County prosecutors won't charge an off-duty police officer who fired her gun during a dispute at a campground.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

“Ahhhh hee ahw”

Since: Aug 09

Twin Cities

#1 Sep 16, 2010
Double standard. Anyone else would have been thrown in jail and had their gun confiscated.
GrumpyHoser

United States

#2 Sep 16, 2010
sock wrote:
Double standard. Anyone else would have been thrown in jail and had their gun confiscated.
Yes, every cop that has ever fired a weapon in the line of duty should be thrown in jail. I see your point... not.
GrumpyHoser

United States

#3 Sep 16, 2010
sock wrote:
Yes, and any cop that has ever fired a weapon in the line of duty should be thrown in jail too. I see your point... not. Hate cops much?
Wow

Saint Paul, MN

#4 Sep 16, 2010
sock wrote:
Not true. What crime what they be charged with. This person thought someone was going to killed and saved someone from death or great bodily harm.

From your previous posts it is obvious you hate cops and somethings you post I agree with. This one you are way off.
LibsRKooks

Saint Paul, MN

#5 Sep 16, 2010
Anyone can get a badge and a gun. The off-duty officer should have called the local police to investigate the situation. Since when do police officers fire warning shots?
Andy

Saint Paul, MN

#6 Sep 16, 2010
GrumpyHoser wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, every cop that has ever fired a weapon in the line of duty should be thrown in jail. I see your point... not.
No one is questioning an officer firing a gun while on-duty moron, it's the fact that she was off-duty.
Diaz

Chetek, WI

#7 Sep 16, 2010
LibsRKooks wrote:
Anyone can get a badge and a gun. The off-duty officer should have called the local police to investigate the situation. Since when do police officers fire warning shots?
It doesn't sound like there was sufficient time to defer to local cops. If she had not immediately stepped in and someone would have died, you would be saying she should have intervened. As for your question about the warning shot, would you rather she had shot him?
john galt

United States

#8 Sep 16, 2010
I've NEVER been taught to fire a "warning shot" either in the military or for my carry permit. I know damn well police are not trained to fire a "warning shot" either.

This just screams double standard.
GrumpyHoser

United States

#9 Sep 16, 2010
Andy wrote:
<quoted text>
No one is questioning an officer firing a gun while on-duty moron, it's the fact that she was off-duty.
Oh, so an off duty cop should never be allowed to get involved to prevent someone from being seriously injured or killed?. They should just call 911 and hope you don't get killed before an on duty cop arrives? Because that would be so much better. Moron.
Pimp xxx

Saint Paul, MN

#10 Sep 16, 2010
Cougar with gun, bad idea.
JohnnyMoua

Minneapolis, MN

#11 Sep 16, 2010
in this society, law enforcer is the main keys to everyday peoples records...I feel shame to the good officer who try to serve their county right but to those who try to be macho and take law above the law and make the civilians struggle or make wrongful shots at civilian is not acceptable and should be put to jail like any other civilians too so that they can learn what the civilians been thru.
Andy

Saint Paul, MN

#12 Sep 16, 2010
GrumpyHoser wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, so an off duty cop should never be allowed to get involved to prevent someone from being seriously injured or killed?. They should just call 911 and hope you don't get killed before an on duty cop arrives? Because that would be so much better. Moron.
Your sarcastic comment was that any officer that fired their gun in the line of duty should also be thrown in jail, which has nothing to do with this story. If you're going to post your comments at least put some reasonable thought into them. This lady was off duty and she fired a warning shot, both of which should call for some extra scrutiny into her actions. The bottom line is that just because she is an officer doesn't give her a free pass to shoot her gun.
What the

Manchester, CT

#13 Sep 16, 2010
If everyone became a cop in Minnesota there would be no crime.
Cindy Stainker

Saint Paul, MN

#14 Sep 16, 2010
Was the guy armed? The article only states that Officer Sullivan heard him threaten to kill someone and when she approached he moved toward her aggressively. My guess is he was not armed, so she fired a warning shot to stop his move toward her. The article also doesn't say whether she did or didn't call local authorities, it's possible that she did. She heard him threaten to kill someone, before she reached the couple she could not have known if the man had a weapon or not. She is a cop, she heard someone's life being threatened and she acted to help that person as she was trained to do. She identified herself by showing her badge, the man moved toward her aggressively, he should consider himself lucky he is still alive.
joe-camel

Saint Paul, MN

#15 Sep 16, 2010
What the wrote:
If everyone became a cop in Minnesota there would be no crime.
Would that be normal cops or gang strike force cops?
old guy

United States

#16 Sep 16, 2010
a justified shooting in duluth, saw the video of the kid beating on his patrol car, same thing happened to me, but i did not have a gun, i just drove away, cop from hastings leaving the scene of an accident, .03 hours later gets off with a wrist slap, state patrol officer dui and texting slams into a woman head on, sheriff charged with sex crimes, i don`t know, a lot of this going on lately, i thought these people were sworn to an oath to duty to uphold the law not violate it and did you see the video where the cop chasing a motorcycle jumped out and beat the guy half to death after he surrendered, he was fired but what the helll is wrong with some of these cops, i think regular physc tests should be given. seems like every other week some kind police abuse is being recorded. maybe it was always been this way now with the video age upon us, and now this dumb arse from ill. firing warning shot in the ground at a camping area, just suppose that round riccochet off the ground and struck some innocent camper. maybe she should not be a cop if every time she is threatend she needs to fire her weapon.
GrumpyHoser

United States

#17 Sep 16, 2010
Andy wrote:
<quoted text>
Your sarcastic comment was that any officer that fired their gun in the line of duty should also be thrown in jail, which has nothing to do with this story. If you're going to post your comments at least put some reasonable thought into them. This lady was off duty and she fired a warning shot, both of which should call for some extra scrutiny into her actions. The bottom line is that just because she is an officer doesn't give her a free pass to shoot her gun.
Alright... lets think this through. She hears a suspect threaten to kill someone. She investigates with her weapon drawn, which federal law allows her to carry as an off duty officer as long as she also has her badge, which she does. The suspect comes at her agressively so she fires a warning shot. End result - the victim is not hurt, the suspect is not hurt. Seems like the best possible outcome. Yet most people here seem to think she overstepped her bounds.

So lets look at all the options - a) she calls 911 and waits - possible outcome - the victim is dead before the police arrive - she's roasted for not helping b) she kills the suspect instead of firing a warning shot - then she's roasted for using excessive force c) she fires a warning shot like she did - nobody gets hurt yet the armchair quarterbacks sill roast her. What a thankless job!

Your right - she shouldn't have a free pass to fire her gun whenever she wants, and extra scrutiny should be required. The Winona county attorney investigated, and determined no charges were warranted. If they hadn't investigated her, that would be a double standard. Since they did, I fail to see what all the armchair quarterbacks have to complain about.

“Ahhhh hee ahw”

Twin Cities

#19 Sep 16, 2010
Wow wrote:
<quoted text>
Not true. What crime what they be charged with. This person thought someone was going to killed and saved someone from death or great bodily harm.
From your previous posts it is obvious you hate cops and somethings you post I agree with. This one you are way off.
Reckless discharge of a firearm. Nobody was being injured when this nosy off duty cop injected herself into a situation in which she was unwelcome.

I don't hate cops, I hate double standards.
oh thay

United States

#20 Sep 16, 2010
an off-duty officer, who apparently is dedicated to her job and takes it serious, steps in to take action for what she perceived as a credible threat, and she is being barbecued by a bunch of chicken **** monday morning quarterbacks. I've seen how some drunken morons act at campgrounds and she should be thanked for her actions.
Thank you for your dedication Officer Sullivan!

“Ahhhh hee ahw”

Twin Cities

#21 Sep 16, 2010
GrumpyHoser wrote:
<quoted text>
Alright... lets think this through. She hears a suspect threaten to kill someone. She investigates with her weapon drawn, which federal law allows her to carry as an off duty officer as long as she also has her badge, which she does. The suspect comes at her agressively so she fires a warning shot. End result - the victim is not hurt, the suspect is not hurt. Seems like the best possible outcome. Yet most people here seem to think she overstepped her bounds.
So lets look at all the options - a) she calls 911 and waits - possible outcome - the victim is dead before the police arrive - she's roasted for not helping b) she kills the suspect instead of firing a warning shot - then she's roasted for using excessive force c) she fires a warning shot like she did - nobody gets hurt yet the armchair quarterbacks sill roast her. What a thankless job!
Your right - she shouldn't have a free pass to fire her gun whenever she wants, and extra scrutiny should be required. The Winona county attorney investigated, and determined no charges were warranted. If they hadn't investigated her, that would be a double standard. Since they did, I fail to see what all the armchair quarterbacks have to complain about.
Look, I don't necessarily think the cop did the wrong thing. My complaint is that if a regular Joe did the exact same thing they would have been arrested, had their gun confiscated, thrown in Jail, charged with a crime, had to hire an attorney, make several court appearances, and probably be found guilty of reckless discharge and brandishing.

An off duty cop should be treated by the law no different than the average citizen. That did not happen here

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Winona Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
King Mansions (Feb '07) Jan '17 Drud 63
help me find an old friend (Feb '14) Feb '16 Cwolfe918507 3
News Federal contractor Fastenal fined $1.3 million ... (Oct '15) Oct '15 Spotted Girl 1
Participate in an Important Transportation Focu... (May '15) May '15 SEMNTravelStudy 1
News Mechanic finds 'Favre' goat in trunk (Aug '09) Oct '14 Tyler 2
10,150 - Judge Fabian Gone (Oct '09) Aug '14 smarter than you 9
News Hells Angels, Outlaws motorcycle gangs brawl in... (Apr '10) Jul '14 noneya 151

Winona Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Winona Mortgages