Plymouth man convicted of sexually assaulting sleeping woman gets probation

Full story: TwinCities.com

A Minnesota man convicted of entering a locked house and sexually assaulting a woman who was sleeping has been sentenced to home monitoring and probation.
Comments
1 - 20 of 40 Comments Last updated Mar 3, 2011
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Myea

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2011

Judged:

The guy breaks into a locked house and rapes a women and gets probation. WTF!
Bubba

Farmington, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2011

Judged:

Smart judge, give him probation so he can rape and kill later. why arent the judges names so we know who NOT to vote for.
Northsider

Plymouth, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2011

Judged:

Thats what a liberal society will give us. Stop voting for Liberal Democrats! They appoint Liberal Judges.
Old Vet

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2011

Judged:

WTF was that judge thinking?????
Buttomfly

Madison, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2011

Judged:

Typical in TC courts. I agree, name the judge who should not even receive 10% of the votes next election. I feel for the victim. No justice here.
bRad

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2011

Judged:

Buttomfly, reread the article, this was in Winona County. Not exactly a TC court.

I agree this doesn't seem like justice was served. Did the man and woman have a past relationship? There must be more to the story if he was only sentenced to probation. He should have also been convicted of breaking and entering.
Featherbedding Teacher

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2011

Judged:

Isn't this just horrible. A woman is raped and the rapist is barely inconvenienced by a liberal judge. Hopefully those folks can elect a good judge before he is charged with his next rape.
Buttomfly

Madison, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2011

Judged:

bRad wrote:
Buttomfly, reread the article, this was in Winona County. Not exactly a TC court.
I agree this doesn't seem like justice was served. Did the man and woman have a past relationship? There must be more to the story if he was only sentenced to probation. He should have also been convicted of breaking and entering.
Thanks. But it has happened in Hennepin and Ramsey County courts as well. I as well wish they would have included more in the story. But whether they had a past relationship or not, obviously does not excuse breaking in and raping her. It just would account for why he chose that house and that victim. The 5 years probation was probably for the breaking and entering. The courts just never seem to see sexual assault as a "real" crime. As well as the people who decide the sentencing guidelines. That is where the problem starts.
Nostradumass

Maple Plain, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2011

Judged:

I was on drugs and drunk, I will have to remember to use that next time.
DD Austin

Brandon, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2011

Judged:

He should be castrated as well. That way he can never repeat his sick assult on another helpless woman! This will send a signal to predator perverts that they will be missing some parts if they try this stuff too!!
Bill

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2011

Judged:

So he was taking drugs and drinking, that makes it better in the eyes of the judge!?

Since: Feb 11

Somerset

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2011

Judged:

A Plymouth, Minn., man who sexually assaulted a physically helpless woman in 2008 was sentenced Wednesday afternoon to 90 days of home-electronic monitoring and up to five years of probation.

Joel Meyer Epstein, 27, also received a $1,000 fine and will have to register as a predatory sex offender and attend treatment.

The severity of the crime carries a presumptive prison sentence, but Winona County Judge Mary Leahy said she departed from sentencing guidelines because Epstein is amenable to probation. She said he has successfully completed programming in the past and stands to benefit from supervision, rather than from time spent behind bars.

A prison sentence could still be enforced if Epstein violates the terms of his probation.

"I'm not a bad person, but I've made bad choices in my life," Epstein said. "This was by far the worst."

Epstein admitted that on Aug. 17, 2008, he was with a friend outside the home of several women the pair had been with the day before. The women told Winona police that they hiked with Epstein and another man and had invited them to their house.

The other man entered the house through a window and opened the home's locked door for Epstein. He admitted he then entered a bedroom and found a woman sleeping. Epstein performed a sex act on the woman, though she appeared to be passed out from drinking.

The woman woke up, ran out of the room and called police.

Epstein, who has a history of chemical dependency and mental health issues, later told police he took Ecstasy and drank alcohol the night of the assault.

Epstein pleaded guilty in October to third-degree criminal sexual conduct and third-degree burglary for the incident.
Nostradumass

Maple Plain, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2011

Judged:

DD Austin wrote:
He should be castrated as well. That way he can never repeat his sick assult on another helpless woman! This will send a signal to predator perverts that they will be missing some parts if they try this stuff too!!
Are you saying that cutting off his junk would be a deterrent to other pervs. If so. Than why can't we have Capital Punishment? That should deter others from killing. at least the ones we kill can't kill again.
ref

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2011

Judged:

"The severity of the crime carries a presumptive prison sentence, but Winona County Judge Mary Leahy said she departed from sentencing guidelines because Epstein is amenable to probation. She said he has successfully completed programming in the past and stands to benefit from supervision, rather than from time spent behind bars."

If the previous "programming" was sucessful, how does this judge explain more criminal activity from him?
Tim

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2011

Judged:

The masseuse in Apple Valley got 11 years for groping a couple of women. He should have raped them in Winona. He would have only got probation.
topck

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2011

Judged:

Although appointed by a "so called" conservative governor, Pawlenty has been appointing liberal judges. This is well known in the Republican District Chairs Committee and they are ticked at Pawlenty for his judicial appointments.

Appointed/Elected:
Appointed by Governor Tim Pawlenty in 2005. Elected in 2008. Her current term expires in January 2015.

Education:
J.D., cum laude, Hamline University School of Law, 1990
B.A., University of Wisconsin (Madison), 1984

Employment:
Senior Staff Attorney- American Family Insurance in Rochester, 1998-2005
Associate Attorney- Hoversten, Johnson, Beckmann and Hovey (Austin), 1992-1998
Associate Attorney- Michael D. Klampe and Associates (Rochester), 1991-1992
Law Clerk- Third Judicial District, 1990-1991

Professional Memberships:
Minnesota State Bar Association
American Bar Association
Olmsted County Bar Association
Defense Research Institute
Minnesota Defense Bar Association
Supreme Court's No-Fault Standing Committee

Professional Activities:
Judge Leahy has served as a volunteer attorney coach and judge for the Minnesota State Bar Association's Mock Trial Program.

Community Activities:
Mentor- Austin High School Mentorship Program
Judge- Hamline University's Mock Trial Competition
Daisy Scout Leader
Painfully Sad

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2011

Judged:

"The 27-year-old Plymouth man will spend 90 days on home monitoring and serve five years of probation. Epstein said he took drugs and drank alcohol the night he assaulted the woman in Winona in 2008."

Is this judge on drugs and drunk, too??? A slap on the wrist for breaking in to a home and sexually assaulting a woman??? Jesus H. Christ, what has happened to us as a people? Society is willing to let this crap go basically unpunished. We are all doomed.
gotta love our justice sy

Naperville, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2011

Judged:

BET IF HE GOT CAUGHT WITH DRUGS HE WOULD BE DOING 5YRS TO LIFE!!! ANY ONE ELSE SEE A PROBLEM WITH GETTING MORE TIME FOR DRIVING OFFENCES OR FOR A LITTLE DOPE THAN BREAKING INTO SOMEONES HOME AND ASSULTING THEM ARE YOU FU--ING SERIOUS!!! WONDER IF SHE WILL GET PROBATION IF SHE GOES AND STICKS A HOT CURLING IRON UP HIS ASS.. BOY I FEEL HAVE AT NIGHT
liberal judge

Paxton, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2011

Judged:

what a puke! this judge needs to be locked up. they keep setting the rapists and killers free in this state> whats going on? i see she is daisy scout leader. what if the guy did this to a daisy scout, or her daughter, etc. would a slap on the wrist work for her then? what the heck is wrong with these people. lock this miscreant up and lock up the judge too.
Painfully Sad

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2011

Judged:

It does seem really pathetic that people who kill and rape get less time than drug users and drunk drivers. Something got messed up along the way!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Winona Discussions

Search the Winona Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Hells Angels, Outlaws motorcycle gangs brawl in... (Apr '10) Jul 21 noneya 151
North St. Paul pins hopes on building fiber opt... (Jan '09) Jul 17 Turk 1,754
MN Who do you support for Governor in Minnesota in... (Oct '10) Jun '14 doomsayer2014 847
King Mansions (Feb '07) Mar '14 borniniowa 59
help me find an old friend Feb '14 THE CEO 1
Caledonia Judge James A. Fabian's Courtroom Cov... (Sep '09) Jan '14 Smarter Than You 13
Minnesota Citizens Speak Out: "Judge Fabian We ... (Oct '09) Jan '14 Smarter Than You 19
•••
•••
•••
•••

Winona Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Winona People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••