Student Arrested For Fairfield County...

Student Arrested For Fairfield County School Bomb Threats

There are 91 comments on the WLTX Columbia story from Feb 5, 2008, titled Student Arrested For Fairfield County School Bomb Threats. In it, WLTX Columbia reports that:

A 17-year-old student has been arrested for making bomb threats at two Fairfield County schools on Tuesday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WLTX Columbia.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Togetherness

Winnsboro, SC

#87 Feb 7, 2008
My heart and prayers go out to the both Davis families. I know them personally. Please stand with Vincent and keep him strong. He made a mistake and he realize now how serious it was. He probably thought it was just a joke. Use this as a time to sit down and talk with him and address all issues. We love you all and will continue to pray with and for you.
jrr

Lexington, SC

#88 Feb 7, 2008
Huh wrote:
<quoted text>You are such a sick and twisted freak. You are probably the person who made all the other threats. I wouldn't stoop to your level and miss up my clean record. I wouldn't give you that much pleasure. Go play in traffic.
and MISS up?????.....I'm done with you idiot....
Huh

Winnsboro, SC

#89 Feb 7, 2008
jrr wrote:
<quoted text>
and MISS up?????.....I'm done with you idiot....
I prefer you being the idiot if somebody has to be an idiot. God loves you and so do I. Peace!!!
Richland 2 Parent

Elgin, SC

#90 Feb 7, 2008
Carolina Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Richland 2 Parent is right on this...you dont have to live here to know....Fairfields kids get away with EVERYTHING! The parents are EXPERTS at making excuses and wiggling out of punishment. Why do you think so many of our citizens are leaving to go to R2? Our teachers are even jumping ship! Puhlease
Thank you! because I see it everyday, everyday. So that is my source of knowledge. I see these behaviors take place EVERYDAY at the school house.

“Speak your mind.”

Since: Aug 07

Lavonia, GA

#91 Feb 7, 2008
Carolina Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Richland 2 Parent is right on this...you dont have to live here to know....Fairfields kids get away with EVERYTHING! The parents are EXPERTS at making excuses and wiggling out of punishment. Why do you think so many of our citizens are leaving to go to R2? Our teachers are even jumping ship! Puhlease
Since you think you know everything, allow me to assure you that you DON'T. I don't either, but I don't use what I know to bash an entire group of students based on what ONE student does. I attended Fairfield Central as well, and have worked in Fairfield as a full-time teacher, and after I returned to college as a sub when I could. You certainly can't categorize the entire student body because of this incident. I went an entire year and only had to do ONE discipline referral, and that was at the middle school, where people claim students are at the age to create the most problems. At the high school, I never had to do a referral, so there goes your theory about students getting away with everything. Do you know what a major source of discipline problems in the classroom is? "Downtime" due to a teacher's lack of planning and organization, combined with methods and materials that don't challenge students (which leads to boredom and behavior problems). And while you're bashing Fairfield's students, have you heard about them lately having sex on buses or in classrooms, engaging in gang and other criminal activity on a wide scale, or letting the air out of bus tires? No, you haven't -- this is at the districts with the "good" reputations. Don't tell me that Fairfield students aren't good when they get MILLIONS of dollars in scholarship offers. Is Fairfield perfect? No, it's not, but I can tell you that working in a school in Richland 2 towards my master's degree, they have plenty of problems too...some of theirs just get swept under the rug. I can agree, though, that SOME students get away with things they should not...and much of the fault lies with the lenient school board and the "you watch my back, and I'll watch yours" system they employ.

You asked why parents and teachers are leaving to go to Richland 2. I can agree that these are good schools. However, there are a number of things that CREATE a good school, one of the most important being parental involvement. There are excellent teachers in Fairfield...if they weren't, do you think another district like Richland 2 would hire them? And if you want to know why TEACHERS are leaving, ask someone what goes on in the faculty meetings AND the district office...it's not the students running teachers off, it's the "leadership", particularly the lack of consistency in administration, and new superintendent should expect an EXTREMELY high turnover rate due to her dictatorial style of "leadership".

One of the problems in Fairfield is that education is not a priority in many homes. If the parent skips every PTO meeting or parent conference but miraculously finds the time to go to EVERY game, it sends a message to the child that EXTRAcurricular activities are important, but the curriculum itself is not. Students have plenty of opportunities to succeed: during the school day, in the grant-funded Homework Center (where they get FREE homework help, a snack AND a ride home), as well as teachers volunteering their time to tutor. Do some students fall through the cracks? Of course. But they also fall through the cracks in Richland 2, in the high school where I am completing my internship. Some of these students cannot read independently OR write a coherent sentence, so it's not all Oxford scholars here, either.

Since: Apr 07

Winnsboro

#92 Feb 8, 2008
Stating the obvious wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me clarify a few things. No, I never meant to come across as thinking that I know everything. Nor did I mean for anyone to assume that I was bashing everyone in Fairfield County schools. I am so glad that you brought your talent back home to Fairfield. However, I do feel that I am in the perfect place to reply to this post because, I myself am a product of fairfield county schools--public ones--ALL of them...and, I too, came home to teach. I have taught here for a very long time and have seen the down slide of the students in the schools. THey, a majority of, are being raised with little to NO morals, no appreciation for a free education (and all of the other things you listed and I will not waste your time repeating.) I understand everything you said. I live it everyday. I am frustrated with the administration, but guess what....there is NOTHING we can do about it but act like puppets...The new "super" has this district so flipped upside down we dont know left from right.., we teach the same thing, say the same thing, do the say thing, blink at the same time, because if not, she will drop you on the spot...dont believe me? I have seen it! the part about discipline referrals, I beg to differ with you on that one. In our elementary schools alone, children are attacking, yes thats right, attacking teachers, not because the are bored, but because they believe it is OK, they dont NEED school, they are two and three grade levels behind and FRUSTRATED, but the administrations says "go back to class" ie..."referrals do not look good on school report cards....brush this under the rug" Enough of this happens that the kids continue their negative behavior because there are NO consequences...at least with the original post, Davis is facing his consequences whether he knew calling a bomb threat was bad or not. I am sure somewhere along the way, he figured you werent supposed to do it because school would be released.

“Speak your mind.”

Since: Aug 07

Lavonia, GA

#93 Feb 8, 2008
Carolina Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me clarify a few things. No, I never meant to come across as thinking that I know everything. Nor did I mean for anyone to assume that I was bashing everyone in Fairfield County schools. I am so glad that you brought your talent back home to Fairfield. However, I do feel that I am in the perfect place to reply to this post because, I myself am a product of fairfield county schools--public ones--ALL of them...and, I too, came home to teach. I have taught here for a very long time and have seen the down slide of the students in the schools. THey, a majority of, are being raised with little to NO morals, no appreciation for a free education (and all of the other things you listed and I will not waste your time repeating.) I understand everything you said. I live it everyday. I am frustrated with the administration, but guess what....there is NOTHING we can do about it but act like puppets...The new "super" has this district so flipped upside down we dont know left from right.., we teach the same thing, say the same thing, do the say thing, blink at the same time, because if not, she will drop you on the spot...dont believe me? I have seen it! the part about discipline referrals, I beg to differ with you on that one. In our elementary schools alone, children are attacking, yes thats right, attacking teachers, not because the are bored, but because they believe it is OK, they dont NEED school, they are two and three grade levels behind and FRUSTRATED, but the administrations says "go back to class" ie..."referrals do not look good on school report cards....brush this under the rug" Enough of this happens that the kids continue their negative behavior because there are NO consequences...at least with the original post, Davis is facing his consequences whether he knew calling a bomb threat was bad or not. I am sure somewhere along the way, he figured you werent supposed to do it because school would be released.
You and I essentially agree on most points: things are bad, need improvement, but despite all the problems, there are still students in Fairfield worth teaching and fighting for. And, we probably know each other...
PRAYING ANGEL KEYA

Great Falls, SC

#94 Feb 9, 2008
<quoted text>
Since you think you know everything, allow me to assure you that you DON'T. I don't either, but I don't use what I know to bash an entire group of students based on what ONE student does. I attended Fairfield Central as well, and have worked in Fairfield as a full-time teacher, and after I returned to college as a sub when I could. You certainly can't categorize the entire student body because of this incident. I went an entire year and only had to do ONE discipline referral, and that was at the middle school, where people claim students are at the age to create the most problems. At the high school, I never had to do a referral, so there goes your theory about students getting away with everything. Do you know what a major source of discipline problems in the classroom is? "Downtime" due to a teacher's lack of planning and organization, combined with methods and materials that don't challenge students (which leads to boredom and behavior problems). And while you're bashing Fairfield's students, have you heard about them lately having sex on buses or in classrooms, engaging in gang and other criminal activity on a wide scale, or letting the air out of bus tires? No, you haven't -- this is at the districts with the "good" reputations. Don't tell me that Fairfield students aren't good when they get MILLIONS of dollars in scholarship offers. Is Fairfield perfect? No, it's not, but I can tell you that working in a school in Richland 2 towards my master's degree, they have plenty of problems too...some of theirs just get swept under the rug. I can agree, though, that SOME students get away with things they should not...and much of the fault lies with the lenient school board and the "you watch my back, and I'll watch yours" system they employ.
You asked why parents and teachers are leaving to go to Richland 2. I can agree that these are good schools. However, there are a number of things that CREATE a good school, one of the most important being parental involvement. There are excellent teachers in Fairfield...if they weren't, do you think another district like Richland 2 would hire them? And if you want to know why TEACHERS are leaving, ask someone what goes on in the faculty meetings AND the district office...it's not the students running teachers off, it's the "leadership", particularly the lack of consistency in administration, and new superintendent should expect an EXTREMELY high turnover rate due to her dictatorial style of "leadership".
One of the problems in Fairfield is that education is not a priority in many homes. If the parent skips every PTO meeting or parent conference but miraculously finds the time to go to EVERY game, it sends a message to the child that EXTRAcurricular activities are important, but the curriculum itself is not. Students have plenty of opportunities to succeed: during the school day, in the grant-funded Homework Center (where they get FREE homework help, a snack AND a ride home), as well as teachers volunteering their time to tutor. Do some students fall through the cracks? Of course. But they also fall through the cracks in Richland 2, in the high school where I am completing my internship. Some of these students cannot read independently OR write a coherent sentence, so it's not all Oxford scholars here, either.
Thanks alot because I attend Fairfield Central High and it seems like you know alot about it unlike others.... but hearing people talk down on the school I attened.. is horrible I am very offended ! This is sooo sad and they wonder why fairfield is a "bad" school we have NO support!!!!!!!!!!well we have a little thanks to people like you!) Have a blessed day!!!!!!!!
Aundria Brown

Winnsboro, SC

#95 Feb 11, 2008
To everyone of every school I just want to say that FAIRFIELD CENTRAL HIGH SCHOOL IS NOT A BAD SCHOOL! There will always be students who do not follow directions, make bad decisions or have behavior problems. Stop putting FCHS down because there are an ample amount of students who do succeed and become strong leaders and individuals. I attend Fairfield Central High School as a sophomore and I love it with all my heart. I am a cheerleader and I applied for Governors School. I have dreams and I will fulfill each and every one of them. By putting this school down it initiates rebellion and low self esteem. Instead of putting us down how about trying to lift us up. When is the last time you had a PERFECT day? Are you having a PERFECT life? Are you doing everything so PERFECT? The answer is no...We are all human and we are entitled to opinions, mistakes, failures, defeats, victories, sadness, pain. Good judgment and bad judgment. Mistakes are made to learn from if everyone was so perfect we would have no idea how precious life is and how we shouldn’t take it for granted. Yes VINCENT MADE A MISTAKE a very dumb one....maybe if every one would learn to be there for one another then we wouldn’t have this problem. Not taking up for Vincent because I had to stand outside for about 4 hours in mixed weather. On the first 2 we evacuated outside AROUND the school in the hottest weather... and the third one we evacuated to the middle school and the last two we evacuated to the football field. Still not finding a bomb and a lot of our students were scared and angry full of mixed emotions. So you tell me what is Fairfield???? F.C.H. Black and Gold: home of the griffins. A school which will rise!-Aundria brown
Jerronda Smith

Winnsboro, SC

#96 Feb 11, 2008
Today at Fairfield Central we had another BOMB THREAT and they called it a false alarm. They supposedly got the student that were doing it, so why are we still having more??? We evacuated the school today and we didn't stay out more than 5 minutes. I feel they are now taking the situation too lightly. Something could happen to a number of students here and who would we blame for bringing us back in this school??? I'm scared because my life is one being put in danger as so as many others.

Since: Apr 07

Winnsboro

#97 Feb 11, 2008
<quoted text>
You and I essentially agree on most points: things are bad, need improvement, but despite all the problems, there are still students in Fairfield worth teaching and fighting for. And, we probably know each other...
I agree they are worth fighting for, however, the parents need to be the ones fighting on the front lines! By the way, another bomb threat today! I'm sure we do know one another

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Winnsboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ashley Rabon Thu WTF 1
Judge Patrick Sullivan Definite Suspension (Jul '09) Apr 14 Mike 25
News Baby dies after nine hours in car (Apr '06) Apr 5 Superfly 7
Mae's Video : Racist BEWARE! Stay away lousy Ad... (Jul '16) Apr 4 Patrick Fay 13
Dean Ivey Mar 30 preciate it 3
Steve Vandervliet Mar '18 Doug G 1
the music thread (Mar '12) Feb '18 Musikologist 24

Winnsboro Jobs

Personal Finance

Winnsboro Mortgages