|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2010

Judged:

Lady Bug-vote yes wrote:
I did see someposted what P/J members make, but they forgot to put what they spend on phone bills for talking to us taxpayers or the gas they use going to see things on the roads that WE ask them to check out, so I sure don't think they are getting very rich from us at all. You can vote how you want without being ugly about it.

Yes, I see the Policy jurors make $900.00 per month in salary. YOU forgot to mention they also have more "perks" . They have retirement benefits, and health insurance , also..
I don't know if they get any reimbursement for expenses or not.

Of course everyone can vote as we want. I fail to see that anyone is being ugly when they report salaries we taxpayers are paying the jurors, or if an alert citizens detects something amiss in a newspaper article and brings it to the attentions of the taxpayers, so I really don't know what YOU are calling ugly.

As to your statement "sure don't think they are getting VERY rich from us at all". Public servants are not supposed to get even a tiny bit RICH from their public service jobs. It's time for them to cut back on their high salaries and benefits and reduce the tax burden on the people. There are many Social Security recipients in this parish that have worked a lifetime and don't get $900 per month, yet are paying taxes so these elected officials CAN vote themselves raises, enjoy health benefits and retirement benefits.

You say the posters who make public postings of the salaries of the police jury members "forgot" to post how much jurors spend on PHONE BILLS. They shouldn't have any higher phone bill than I do. Do you think they have jurisdiction all across the USA, er, I mean the state of Louisiana , or the congressional district , or CenLA? NO! This parish has 7 jurors and each one represents the people of a small portion of ONE parish . There is not a long distance charge to call any of the people in their district. The jurors have a phone anyway, so it cost them nothing more to make a call in their district. Phone bills are certainly not an excuse to have their high $900 month salary for a two hour meeting each month. I don't know what on earth you were thinking. It's not like they are making international calls in the line of duty being a Winn Parish Police Juror!!!!

Further, you say posters forgot to mention their gasoline cost going to see roads. Again, they have jurisdiction over only a small part of the parish. With only 950 square miles in the whole parish and the National forest covering many square miles of that , CCA taking up more square miles and the remainder of the parish divided between 7 jurors each jury has very little land area to cover. And tell, if you will, how much reimbursed expense do they receive? I don't know that.

VOTE NO, NO ON THE TWO TAX ISSUES WE HAVE A CHANCE TO VOTE ON
Full steam ahead

Mount Pleasant, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2010

Winn Parish needs 25 more drug dogs. 15 new Escalades. A 2000 cell new prison. A swat team and two tanks with nuclear war head missle firing capability, a 50 man fully equipped dive team in case a crackhead floats off somewhere. 50 secretaries, 20 dispatchers and 40 heavily armed deputies patroling the mean roads of Winn Parish. I mean after all, THEY MADE THREE ARRESTS LAST WEEK!
Matt

Pineville, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2010

Judged:

Full steam ahead wrote:
Winn Parish needs 25 more drug dogs. 15 new Escalades. A 2000 cell new prison. A swat team and two tanks with nuclear war head missle firing capability, a 50 man fully equipped dive team in case a crackhead floats off somewhere. 50 secretaries, 20 dispatchers and 40 heavily armed deputies patroling the mean roads of Winn Parish. I mean after all, THEY MADE THREE ARRESTS LAST WEEK!
What a laugh you gave me , but I do understand your point! Seems this sheriff can't get enough money or equipment, as he says, "to operate successfully".
Full steam ahead

Mount Pleasant, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2010

Judged:

Matt wrote:
<quoted text>
What a laugh you gave me , but I do understand your point! Seems this sheriff can't get enough money or equipment, as he says, "to operate successfully".
I heard that Sheriff Jordan had brain surgery yesterday for cancer in Shreveport. He is in the Willis Knight hospital. If true this is sad news, as this man did a lot with what he had and he did it quietly.
Matt

Pineville, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2010

Full steam ahead wrote:
<quoted text>
I heard that Sheriff Jordan had brain surgery yesterday for cancer in Shreveport. He is in the Willis Knight hospital. If true this is sad news, as this man did a lot with what he had and he did it quietly.
Yes, Buddy certainly did his job and all without tooting his own horn. He got by with less funds than he should have because Bodie, as Assessor, didn't do his job ;claimed for himself two homestead exemptions, and let his friends by with low taxes and raised his "enemies" beyond the legal limit without notification and did it beyond the legal time for so doing so there was no recourse except to file a lawsuit against him. Wonder what happened to that?
Odd

Shreveport, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2010

Judged:

Bodie keeps delaying for cancer treatments but can make the auction the same day.
winston

Queen Creek, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2010

lets see, who do you all call when the roadways are not passable due to poor and very bad weather conditions???? Who do you all whine at when there are trees down across the roadways...., who do you whine, to when the power is out and you want it on now, who comes out and removes those trees...This tax is not about who is in office, it is about the parish and the citzens of the parish. You think it's gonna hurt those in office cuz you can't get through on your road for what ever reason? As far as the health unit, they are not setup for emergencies...but you can obtain treatment just like a visit to the doctors office, flu shots and things of that nature....If you don't like who is in office vote them out next election, this is not their vote, it isn't gonna hurt them one way or the other. Go ahead and listen to the foolish who have power and wealth and let them brain wash you into believing the way they do. Are they gonna fix your roads, come out in the middle of a storm and remove the trees so you and the school buses can get where they need to go????? I think not.. so plan on staying up all night or getting up way before the chickens because you will being doing all this...for yourself and your neighbors....
dahling

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2010

winston wrote:
lets see, who do you all call when the roadways are not passable due to poor and very bad weather conditions???? Who do you all whine at when there are trees down across the roadways...., who do you whine, to when the power is out and you want it on now, who comes out and removes those trees...This tax is not about who is in office, it is about the parish and the citzens of the parish. You think it's gonna hurt those in office cuz you can't get through on your road for what ever reason? As far as the health unit, they are not setup for emergencies...but you can obtain treatment just like a visit to the doctors office, flu shots and things of that nature....If you don't like who is in office vote them out next election, this is not their vote, it isn't gonna hurt them one way or the other. Go ahead and listen to the foolish who have power and wealth and let them brain wash you into believing the way they do. Are they gonna fix your roads, come out in the middle of a storm and remove the trees so you and the school buses can get where they need to go????? I think not.. so plan on staying up all night or getting up way before the chickens because you will being doing all this...for yourself and your neighbors....
You sound like Chicken Little yelling "The sky is falling!". You think all this is about certain individuals and you are wrong. Dead wrong! Were you foolish enough to have believed Bodie's threats of massive layoffs if the sales tax failed? And it will not close this time either. I do not think the Health Unit will close either. Don't try to blackmail us with threats and dire predictions. This is just like a family where both the husband and wife work. If the family loses one source of income, they usually try to make do on the other. They cut out the fat. They watch their money. They look for value when they have to buy something. Same with our local and state governments, who are not allowed to run a deficit.(Unfortunately, the US can print more when it wants.) I have worked hard for what I have and I have done without things to provide for my retirement. I hardly qualify as wealthy and I certainly have no power except my vote.
NO TAX

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2010

Winston

Name one Police Jury person that personally came out in the storm to cut a tree from the road....PJ person may have picked up the phone and made a call....Hour for hour of service...they are all over paid. TODAY IS THE DAY TO GET OUR AND VOTE NO NO NO. People that do not get out and vote do not have right to state their opinions to anyone.
service

Mount Pleasant, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2010

Judged:

If people really cared about their community, school board, city council, and police jurors would do the job for 100.00 month. Its called a public servant and it shouldnt be about a second life style. Why should they get retirement end health insurance. They all have regular jobs, this is supposed to be I WANT TO HELP MY COMMUNITy, at least when running they say that. Im sick of all politicans, they get elected and become all power and all knowing, we should vote them all out, reduce salaries and perks, then see who wants the position. VOTE NO ON ALL TAXES
Matt

Alexandria, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2010

service wrote:
If people really cared about their community, school board, city council, and police jurors would do the job for 100.00 month. Its called a public servant and it shouldnt be about a second life style. Why should they get retirement end health insurance. They all have regular jobs, this is supposed to be I WANT TO HELP MY COMMUNITy, at least when running they say that. Im sick of all politicans, they get elected and become all power and all knowing, we should vote them all out, reduce salaries and perks, then see who wants the position. VOTE NO ON ALL TAXES
You said it so well!! If I'm not mistaken, one has to serve only 16 years to be eligible for full retirement benefits. If we voted everyone out after one term, we could cut down on the number of retirees feeding at the pubic trough and thereby cut down on the need for ever increasing taxes to support "public servants". Government has gotten way out of hand and away from its function to serve the people. Our only recourse is to vote NO on all taxes to force them to cut back .
Ladybug-yes

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2010

NO TAX wrote:
Winston
Name one Police Jury person that personally came out in the storm to cut a tree from the road....PJ person may have picked up the phone and made a call....Hour for hour of service...they are all over paid. TODAY IS THE DAY TO GET OUR AND VOTE NO NO NO. People that do not get out and vote do not have right to state their opinions to anyone.
Well since you did ask, Mr Sanders, Mr Miles and Mr McFarland have been seen out helping on the roads with their own hands, did you help? Some of the others may have been out there too and only the people around them saw them who knows. I will say this set of P/Jurors have been trying very hard to get out and change things, but it is hard to do with people having such a good time trying to make it look other wise. The people in the world right now are so quick to cast stones at other people, but the good Lord would like us to clean our own doors first. If we did that we would not have so much time to be throwing these false stones. My YES vote has already been cast. May it be God that leads our hearts, souls and hands when we go out today and each day, not the things we listen to from anyone else. I thank God for us still having caring people in this parish.
Matt

Alexandria, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2010

winston wrote:
lets see, who do you all call when the roadways are not passable due to poor and very bad weather conditions???? Who do you all whine at when there are trees down across the roadways...., who do you whine, to when the power is out and you want it on now,

WINSTON, MAY I ASK, WHOM DO YOU THINK IS RESPONSIBLE FOR PICKING UP THE PHONE TO ANSWER A CALL ABOUT A ROADWAY THAT NEEDS ATTENTION? Its not me or the dog catcher, or the driver of the garbage truck. What do you think a juror is elected to do?

WINSTON SAYS- who comes out and removes those trees...This tax is not about who is in office, it is about the parish and the citizens of the parish. You think it's gonna hurt those in office cuz you can't get through on your road for what ever reason?

OH, WINSTON, HAVE YOU READ THE DUTIES OF A POLICE JUROR? LOOK IT UP, YOU MIGHT BE SURPRISED A juror is never expected to pick up a chainsaw, or a shovel or to repair anything--just not his duty. SURE it will cause that juror to lose the next election if he don't answer his phone calls after a storm has knocked trees down and a citizen is trying to notify the proper authority-which is his district juror. AND WINSTON, YES THIS TAX IS ABOUT EACH OF OUR WINN PARISH JURORS. They voted as a body, not one opposed to the changing of this 5 year tax to a ten year tax. No chance to lower it if it passes for the next ten years. YES, THIS TAX IS ABOUT EACH JUROR who went right along with the same millage that was in place when economic times wer e much better and not a one of them opposed the millage being over the state allowed limit for the health unit and not one juror opposed our tax millage being highest in the state..THIS TAX IS ABOUT THOSE JURORS WHO ARE IN OFFICE NOW; THEY ARE THE ONES ASKING FOR THE TAX!

WINSTON SAYS-As far as the health unit, they are not setup for emergencies...but you can obtain treatment just like a visit to the doctors office, flu shots and things of that nature....If you don't like who is in office vote them out next election, this is not their vote, it isn't gonna hurt them one way or the other

. AGAIN, WINSTON, a defeat of this tax is not going to close the Health Unit. THE TAXPAYERS WHO OPPOSE THE TAX ARE SAYING WE ARE BEING GOUGED BY MILLAGES TAHT ARE TOO HIGH. This tax is not the only funding the unit has.YES, THERE IS LOTS OF CONSIDERATION IN VOTING AGAINST THOSE IN OFFICE NOW WHO ARE GOUGING US WITH HIGH SALARIES, AND EXCESSIVE TAX REQUEST.

WINSTON SAYS- Go ahead and listen to the foolish who have power and wealth and let them brain wash you into believing the way they do.

WHAT???? ANYBODY know who Winston is talking about????

Winston says- Are they gonna fix your roads, come out in the middle of a storm and remove the trees so you and the school buses can get where they need to go????? I think not.. so plan on staying up all night or getting up way before the chickens because you will being doing all this...for yourself and your neighbors....

AGAIN, WHO IS " they" HE TALKING ABOUT??? WE PAY TAXES FOR THE JURY TO HIRE PEOPLE TO KEEP UP THE ROADS..
VOTE NO MORE TAXES
NO TAX

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2010

Ladybug-Yes

I too have cast my vote...it must have made yours and mine both null and void. Tonight we will see how the rest of the parish feels on these issues. MY EARLY VOTE WAS NO AND NO
About the telephones for the PJ...don't they have lines in the PJ office that could be used in the event of long distance...most poeple have cell phones that cover out of parish calls. Then there all the trip the PJ takes at our expense. Bet they don't eat at McDonalds or sleep at Super 8. What ever happened to conference calls to avoid going to so many our of town meetings?
kingpin

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2010

winston wrote:
This couldn't have been said better !!
knows not

Alexandria, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2010

kingpin wrote:
<quoted text>
This couldn't have been said better !!
Well, that make two of you who don't know the duties of a juror. And that makes two of you who don't want to know. That makes two of you who had rather keep your head buried in the sand. That makes two of you who ignore the truth.
thirty thusand dollars

Alexandria, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2013

Matt wrote:
Citizens of Winn, we got from the president of the Police Jury a front page story , March 3, 2010. Across the page, big bold headlines : HEALTH UNIT ASKS WINN PARISH VOTERS TO RENEW 3.21 MILLAGE.(It is the Police Jury asking for the tax for the health unit-not the Health Unit)
)
We are shown a photo of a person getting a blood pressure check. Is that supposed to make a big impression to persuade us to vote for a tax that is estimated to bring in $1,823,400.00 during the 10 year life of the tax??? Well, it turns me off. Most of us buy at Wal Mart and they have a blood pressure machine where you can check pressure "free" ( We pay for it with our purchases). And we don't have to pay salaries , retirements, big building expense, vacations, etc with tax money
McFarland said it is a renewal tax, but in the original notice in the legal announcement section HE properly called it a REPLACEMENT tax because it is for 10 years and not 5 years as the original. He says they are asking for a ten year tax to replace the 5 year tax because "in five years the parish will save $30,000 by not having it on the ballot again then." Trying to pull the wool over our eyes here! Most of the time we have more than one single thing on ballots and costs will always be shared. In fact , he further say,"this election will not cost us that much because there are other things on ballot so the cost will be divided." Are we to understand that within the next 5 years there will be no other opportunities to put this tax on the ballot without a $30,000 cost for an election? Don't be fooled!
Vote no more tax until we see millages lowered and time frame not increased. These are hard times in the US and Winn Parish.
Oh, take a look back at McFarland's statement when he wanted a 10 tax instead of a 5 year tax because in his words McFarland said "in five years the parish will save $30,000 by not having it on the ballot again then."
So the election for the jury tax must be costing us $30,000. How many hours do you work for that amount of money? How much waste is that of taxpayer money for this tax election in April, 2013?
one tax down

Alexandria, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

dahling wrote:
Mr. McFarland (Enterprise front page Mar 3) made two really stupid statements.
He first questioned "Where do you make up $375,000 out of your budget?... You don't. People wonder why our roads are in such bad shape. That is why."
Well, Mr. McFarland, if you were so concerned, you need to deal with the openly and above board. The bull-headed sheriff just got his hand slapped for being greedy and then you come right behind him wanting more? Have you ever heard of getting by on less? Of working smarter? Of not voting yourself raises in a bad economy? The roads are bad NOW and it had nothing to do with the Health Unit or its tax. It makes no sense to blame what already exists on a future vote>
Secondly, PJ McFarland promised that as long as he serves on the PJ, the parish will not ask for a new tax. This "campaign promise" ain't worth the paper it was printed on. MPJ McFarland has only 1 vote, so how does he propose to control a majority on the PJ. Besides, just how long does McFarland expect to be on the PJ.
This is the same old bs we heard from Bodie. I did not buy it then and I will not know. Vote NO on any tax, renewal or not.
Anybody remember the campaign promise McFarland made that as long as he serves on the PJ the parish will not ask for a new tax?
Gomer

Winnfield, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Surprise surprise, a lying bastard, LOLLOL
Winn Resident

Bixby, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

NO MORE TAXES! Not, until they control spending & balance budgets!!! One item on a ballot that cost taxpayers a whole election???? & you want MORE?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

9 Users are viewing the Winnfield Forum right now

Search the Winnfield Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Lets play - follow the word! (Aug '11) 2 hr Sweet Annie 2,770
Add a word drop a word (Feb '10) 9 hr _Zoey_ 1,558
burger king 12 hr good riddance 2
LA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Louisiana... (Oct '10) 13 hr Hold on there 2,639
??WHAT??A NEW word game FOUR WORDS (Oct '11) 14 hr Hatti_Hollerand 1,051
CCA Winn is Hiring (Jun '13) 14 hr mrzone6 66
Last 3 Letters Into 3 New Words (Mar '11) 15 hr Hatti_Hollerand 1,444
•••
•••
•••
•••

Winnfield Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••