Yes

determine need before deciding

think 1% is too much

would vote for 3/4%

would not vote for 3/4 %

my thoughts

Alexandria, LA

#1 Jul 20, 2013
Because of the poor economy, no job growth, more people without jobs, it is my opinion that government should cut back on what the are asking the people to fork over in taxes. The working people have had to cut back on their purchases as necessities are costing more. Government should live leaner, also.
my thoughts

Alexandria, LA

#2 Jul 22, 2013
The Winn Parish Jury saw fit to push for a tax on property owners for a new library that was not at all needed and now they are wanting a sales tax . They never know when to stop taxing or cutting back.
my thoughts

Pineville, LA

#3 Jul 23, 2013
Persons with far more knowledge of the state of the economy in the USA is predicting that 2/3 of Americans will lose EVERYTHING in the coming crisis.
See this site:
http://www.lewrockwell.com/2013/07/no_author/...
We must wake up and realize our government needs to cut back their spending , the people can't afford to keep funding retirements, health benefits and pensions for people elected to represent us. Most elected ones have other jobs and a public office was never meant to be a gravy train for public servants.
my thoughts

Vidalia, LA

#4 Jul 23, 2013
The jury governing system is a total waste. These people play you help me I help you games and get a check to play. Strange how the rest of the states can have one person govern the entire county but we have to pay 10 to 15. I know you never believe this but some states have school board members who serve for no pay wonder how many of our dedicated board members would be at next meeting if there was no check. (just saying)
my thoughts

Pineville, LA

#5 Jul 24, 2013
In the Winn paper of July, 24, 2013 we are notified the School board will have two taxes on the ballot in a special election November 16. Both are property taxes-one for 8.07 mills and one for 3 mills.
poverty looming

Pineville, LA

#6 Jul 28, 2013
http://www.dailypaul.com/294137/80-of-us-adul...

80% of adults are near poverty level.
poverty

Alexandria, LA

#7 Aug 6, 2013
No more taxes!
poorer

Alexandria, LA

#8 Sep 23, 2013
my thoughts wrote:
The Winn Parish Jury saw fit to push for a tax on property owners for a new library that was not at all needed and now they are wanting a sales tax . They never know when to stop taxing or cutting back.

There is mis-spent tax dollars at the animal shelter as we have recently learned. Taxpayers house animal(s) that belong to what some call the humane society. They stole from the rightful owner, a valuable hunting dog. We need investigations, not more taxes.

Heart of Louisiana Humane Society claims to be a valid organization in write-ups in the Winn paper, but they lost their 501 (c)(3) non-profit status for failing to file required papers in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and I know up until Aug 2013; don't know if they have filed after August or not.
For 5 years they were not in good standing with the state of Louisiana for failure to obey laws for reporting to the state.

They did file with the state in Sept., 2013 after 5 years of not being in good standing.

They stole a dog from the rightful owner while not in good standing with the state and while not a non-profit organization- in other words, it was not an organization, but some were acting under the umbrella of a humane society that didn't exist. Our taxes paid to house their dog at the animal shelter.

Someone claiming to be from the "humane" society refused to let the owner pay and take his dog home when he found it at our animal shelter. The dog O-DEE was there being cared for by our tax dollars for the non-existent "humane" society, who said the dog was theirs when the rightful owner saw his dog there.
cut back

Alexandria, LA

#9 Sep 26, 2013
my thoughts wrote:
Persons with far more knowledge of the state of the economy in the USA is predicting that 2/3 of Americans will lose EVERYTHING in the coming crisis.
See this site:
http://www.lewrockwell.com/2013/07/no_author/...
We must wake up and realize our government needs to cut back their spending , the people can't afford to keep funding retirements, health benefits and pensions for people elected to represent us. Most elected ones have other jobs and a public office was never meant to be a gravy train for public servants.
Send a message to big government-vote no more taxes
Whiners

Alexandria, LA

#10 Sep 27, 2013
First, the parish doesn't have anything to do with the city animal shelter. If you don't believe me, just call and ask. I did!
Second, what the heck does someone's lost dog have to do with me getting my garbage picked up. You're so worried about someone's dog, you better be worried about what we are going to do with our garbage if this tax fails.
sandy

Terrell, TX

#11 Sep 27, 2013
You need to realise the more taxes is raised the more pay in salaries that will get raised. Vote for salary reductions across all levels of elected officials in Winn. Yes it cost more to run a parish. But all these officials want more pay. They all live nice lifestyles. The tax payers are the ones suffering. Yes they have to have to pay taxes but they make up it in their salaries. SAY NO TO ALL TAXES UNTIL THEY CUT THEIR PAY. Any new sheriff being elected should take half cut in pay first two years until he proves himself.
voter

Sparkman, AR

#12 Sep 28, 2013
poverty wrote:
No more taxes!
This is a renewal tax, not a new tax. If this renewal fails we want have any more garbage picked up. I am voting yes on renewal so my garbage will be picked up.
sandy

United States

#13 Sep 28, 2013
voter wrote:
<quoted text>This is a renewal tax, not a new tax. If this renewal fails we want have any more garbage picked up. I am voting yes on renewal so my garbage will be picked up.
Wonder how long it will take them to raise your bill?
Vote No

United States

#14 Sep 28, 2013
voter wrote:
<quoted text>This is a renewal tax, not a new tax. If this renewal fails we want have any more garbage picked up. I am voting yes on renewal so my garbage will be picked up.
This is not a renewal. The language describing the dedication for the tax (what the tax revenue has to be used for) has been changed.
abuse

Ball, LA

#15 Sep 29, 2013
voter wrote:
When a taxing body puts any tax on the ballot, the taxing body has to specify (1) the duration of the tax (2) the rate of the tax, either the percentage (sales) or the millage (property)(3) the expected revenues to be extracted from the taxpayers and (4) the purpose of the tax .
If a tax passes, the tax will be in effect for the exact specified time the voters voted on and for the exact rate they voted on. After the specified life of the tax passes the tax is dead, no longer collectable, it has lived out its life and cannot be revived. It is DEAD!

A NEW tax has to be placed before the people if the taxing body still wants money for the purpose of the expired tax.

EVERY tax proposal is a NEW tax. Our Constitution has NO provisions for a "renewal" tax. Politicians and those wanting the tax to pass will call it a "renewal" to try to fool the people or try to make it more palatable in hopes it will be passed by the voters. They go so far as to say, "it won't cost you any more than you have been paying ".
That's false, also.

Sure 1% on an item you pay $15.00 is 15 cents but when inflation causes the price of that same item to be $16.00, the 1% tax on the same item is now 16 cents. The rate hasn't changed, but the item price has changed taking more of your money to buy the item and more of your money going into government coffers.

That is why the new tax rate should be lowered by our taxing bodies . This 1% tax proposal should be voted down and the taxing body should lower the rate on another new proposal. I haven't done the math because I don't know what the inflation rate is, but 3/4% could possibly bring in as much as the 1% that has been collected for the last 10 years.

This is why the terms "renewal" and "it wont' cost you anymore" is used by taxing bodies and those who reap increase in pay and other benefits from higher taxes.
They don't want you, the taxed , to realize you will be paying more out of your pocket over the next 10 years with rampant inflation than you paid the last 10 years with the old expiring tax, although the rate is the same in both cases.
REMEMBER EVERY TAX IS A NEW TAX. There is no such thing a a tax "renewal"
Our garbage can be picked up with a lower tax rate since inflation will increase the amount we pay. VOTE NO ON THIS TAX!
no more taxes until

Alexandria, LA

#16 Sep 30, 2013
my thoughts wrote:
When McFarland increased the number of years one tax would run, he said it was to save taxpayers money so another $30,000 dollar election would not have to be held. Yet, when he wanted the 1% sales tax solely to be used for the parish, he didn't mind calling for a $30,000 election. Since that tax was defeated, he is back again with another 1% tax proposal this time to be shared with the town .
But because the jury has imposed the highest tax of any parishes around to fund the health unit, and we have that huge library tax, it's time to vote "NO" on this tax and see how quickly they can make cuts and operate leaner. There is waste and spending without oversight ( animal shelter, for example).
grassroots

Alexandria, LA

#18 Oct 7, 2013
The jury should have thought about garbage pick-up tax when they voted unanimously to place a property tax on the ballot to tax people with taxable property in Winn for an un-needed new library building, furniture, landscaping, meeting room, new computers, books, etc.
Now that the people have voted on property owners a library tax, the jury is back now for a sales tax. Vote "NO" for a 1% tax. The jury needs to reduce the percentage to a more realistic amount. We are taxed too much, too often,for too long; make some cuts and tighten your belt-jury persons!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Winnfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
where'd it go 5 hr justme 4
CCA - DOC here for a personnal shakedown 10 hr Withers 2
Trade School 21 hr Nra 1
spouses that cheat Wed Interesting 3
deer processing Wed stdriver 8
rachel court (Jan '11) Wed Bob 5
Keep a word/Drop a word Game... (May '12) Wed Terrible_Herbst 1,796
Winnfield Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Winnfield People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 3:41 pm PST

ESPN 3:41PM
Saints owner Benson being sued by family
NBC Sports 8:52 PM
Report: Texans D-line coach Bill Kollar to join Gary Kubiak in Denver
NBC Sports 3:41 AM
Mickey Loomis: Saints letting Junior Galette case run its course before taking any action
NBC Sports 5:04 AM
Saints players shocked by team's ownership squabble
NBC Sports 7:42 AM
Jimmy Graham: Pro Bowl will help dictate if he needs surgery