Ace Hardware High Prices

Posted in the Winnfield Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Geez

Stanwood, WA

#1 May 25, 2010
I was wanting to get salt for my pool and someone told me that Ace was selling salt. Well, their price was $8.57 compared to Walmart in Jonesboro at $6.27!!!. I need at least 7 or 8 bags...OMG! Who can afford that??? We have a new business in Winnfield and their prices are higher than anyone else? Why? The girl said something about they had to buy from certain vendors. Who says and why? Well, excuse me, I thought Ace was going to be a competitive price place. I think they won't be here long if they jack the prices up like this. I was thinking that if I told them about the price they would do like Walmart and give you the cheaper price. What a disappointment. You think that a new business can be good for a place, but they opt to raise the prices. Also, people want us to buy in Winnfield, but give us a break. How can you keep the money in a hometown when they have high prices? If the prices are high on salt, how many other things are high priced there?
Pete

Russellville, AR

#2 May 25, 2010
I went there for a refrigerator water filter, parking is screwey, and the guy said he didn't sell them. then someone else pointed to where they were, and they wanted $24.95 for the Culligan. I knew the old Harrel Builders sold them for $14.95, just wanted to give rhe new biz a try. Went to the old Harrels, not a soul there but one woman...won't ever go back to Ace.
X Resident

United States

#3 May 26, 2010
Winnfield needs a Home Depot or a Lowe's. Then the others would have to do better.
Citizen X

United States

#4 May 26, 2010
I thought it was just me with the high prices. I went in there the other day and thought I must have been in a coma for the past few years and didn't realize how much everything had gone up. Now I know it's not just me. Everything in there was so high priced. Nice store but they do need to go down a little.
pool supplies

Waterloo, Canada

#5 May 27, 2010
Well I needed some sand for my sand pump and ace beat the old harrel builders by almost 3.00 so I guess it just depends on the item.
well

United States

#6 May 27, 2010
anyone know where i can get sand to go underneath an above ground pool
STUPID PEOPLE

United States

#7 May 28, 2010
If you have a pool and you are upset about less than 20 bucks for salt... GET A LIFE. I Love having Ace in town. They have stock and good help and are open Sat and Sun. They also have many hard to find items.

People in America are always looking for the lowest price (lowest quality, lowest service)This is what ran out small business. I dislike WalMart, Lowes and any big chain store.

If you are that strapped for cash you are living beyond your means.

Purchage quality not quanity.
Cheers.
fatso

Russellville, AR

#8 May 28, 2010
I like lard/ 3# a day. I love to spread it on bread and eat it. It's so greasy. Walmarts has the cheapest Crisco...
Cheers
Citizen X

Rayville, LA

#9 May 29, 2010
I will say this about ACE. I love the isle with all the bolts and stuff. They have everything you will ever want and then some. No more running all over town to the co-op, Harrel builders and the auto parts store. They have it all right there. You can even get Ice cream or a popsicle if you want one.
nutter butter

AOL

#10 May 29, 2010
yes I can get in there and get out if I am in a hurry. I don't mind paying a little more for the convience. If you want to hunt a register that is open with 5 shopping cart in line, Wal_mart is the place to go.
Whoa

United States

#11 May 29, 2010
STUPID PEOPLE wrote:
If you have a pool and you are upset about less than 20 bucks for salt... GET A LIFE. I Love having Ace in town. They have stock and good help and are open Sat and Sun. They also have many hard to find items.
People in America are always looking for the lowest price (lowest quality, lowest service)This is what ran out small business. I dislike WalMart, Lowes and any big chain store.
If you are that strapped for cash you are living beyond your means.
Purchage quality not quanity.
Cheers.
Excuse me, I need about 7 or 8 bags for my pool!!! Add that up and see that it wouldn't be less than $20.00. Yes, I would love to pay that much. You are such a fool!! I am not strapped for cash as you might think, just smart to know not to get scammed by a store that comes to Winnfield to get my hard earned money. I am not giving it away when there are other stores who sell it much less. I am not that stupid!!! Ace will not make it here if it won't do anything about it prices.
Stupid people

Indianapolis, IN

#12 May 30, 2010
Whoa wrote:
<quoted text>
Excuse me, I need about 7 or 8 bags for my pool!!! Add that up and see that it wouldn't be less than $20.00. Yes, I would love to pay that much. You are such a fool!! I am not strapped for cash as you might think, just smart to know not to get scammed by a store that comes to Winnfield to get my hard earned money. I am not giving it away when there are other stores who sell it much less. I am not that stupid!!! Ace will not make it here if it won't do anything about it prices.
Wow, how's your math skills.=> (6.27-8.57)*8=18.40

Huh, less than 20.00 bucks. How much are you spending on utilities to run your pool pump? I don't guess you understand the relationship in customer service and bottom barrel pricing with no service.

Have you compaired other Ace prices? I have found they ARE cheeper than Wallmart and Home Hardware on some items... More important they have stock and they are open more often than Home Hardware.

Wait until all Winnfield stores are closed and then you can spend your hard earned money on gas driving out of town.

Maybe you should go jump in a lake and save your pool money. Keep buying lowest price crap... I bet you also buy china crap over made in USA.

This attitude is what is wrong with our country, and our town.

Cheers
Citizen X

United States

#13 May 30, 2010
And they ARE open all day Saturday and Sunday! You can even get a propane tank filled there.
tiny

Shreveport, LA

#14 May 30, 2010
whoa must have went to dodson for math.
help

United States

#15 May 31, 2010
well wrote:
anyone know where i can get sand to go underneath an above ground pool
call william yocum in the calvin directory
wow

Ruston, LA

#16 Oct 5, 2010
better take your wallet or crecit cards
dahling

Houston, TX

#17 Oct 6, 2010
Whoa wrote:
<quoted text>Excuse me, I need about 7 or 8 bags for my pool!!! Add that up and see that it wouldn't be less than $20.00. Yes, I would love to pay that much. You are such a fool!! I am not strapped for cash as you might think, just smart to know not to get scammed by a store that comes to Winnfield to get my hard earned money. I am not giving it away when there are other stores who sell it much less. I am not that stupid!!! Ace will not make it here if it won't do anything about it prices.
Maybe you should not be so quick to call another person a fool. Checking the Ace Hardware homepage, Diamond CrystalŽ 40lb Pool Salt (8526B) is $8.49 shipped to the store for free, not the $8.57 you quoted. But let's just use your numbers. You would calculate that you saved $18.40 just by driving to Jonesboro. Did you calculate the other costs? Your time may not be very valuable, but oil, gas, wear & tear, and depreciation are. The government allows you $.50 a mile (business rate) for such -- which meant it cost you about $25 just to go round-trip. Oops, you just lost money. Since you were buying 8 bags (320 pounds), I suspect you may have taken your truck for the trip. Sometimes, we get so carried away "saving money" that we forget what it really costs us.

In addition to what I have mentioned, there are definite economic costs to the community when residents go elsewhere to buy what is available locally. You may not care, but that is one of the reasons that Winnfield's once thriving downtown has died. I hate Walmart and refuse to shop there unless forced to, but I can assure you that the local Wal-mart could have matched the price or you could have ordered it on-line/telephone/local desk and had it delivered to the Winnfield store at exactly the same price you drive all the way to Jonesboro to get.
concerned citizen

United States

#18 Oct 17, 2010
Ive heard that Home Hardware will match or beat any competitors price. I went there and got everything I needed for my pool and their prices were very reasonable. They carry pool salt and the price was affordable. They told me if I brought in a price from somewhere else they would match it or beat it. That works for me.
Thankx

Russellville, AR

#19 Oct 18, 2010
Went there today wont be going back to high
Lucky
#20 Aug 17, 2012
Salt is not just salt. Ace is about the only local source for "food grade pool salt." This salt dissolves faster and requires no spreading or special procedures. There are no additives to this salt. So, you do not get the dingy water syndrome.

And you thought salt was just salt. As my pool consultant says: if it says "pool salt" on the bag and doesn't say "food grade" then don't even think about buying it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Winnfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
WKS is closing!!!! 17 hr Say it aint so 4
8,000 post wins. (Feb '13) 18 hr Hatti_Hollerand 3,726
Where is Police Officer Eric Austin? (Mar '09) Wed Notwitha10ftpole 98
Concern Tue Uncle Tom 2
Jennifer Guin? Tue Uncle Tom 2
Crime and theft on maple st May 21 Dogcatcher 1
Haven Higgs May 19 Myra gates 1

Winnfield Jobs

Personal Finance

Winnfield Mortgages