Mental Illness
One More Word

Shreveport, LA

#1 Dec 17, 2012
On the other side of the debate is mental illness. For years I have wondered why the mentally ill members of our society are so ignored. Due to cut backs and such they are tossed out of facilities that give them a least a little care and back into society where they just can't function on their own. If they do have a family member willing to try to care for them they may be ok. But caring for a person with a mental illness is most times more than a family can handle. We are not trained professionals but the goverment turns it backs on these folks. Out of site out of mind you might say. Caring for an elderly parent can be very hard, but a mentally ill person is completely different. Sometimes they refuse to take their meds that they must have and the caregiver cannot do anything about it. The caregiver may go without sleep in order to keep an eye on the person. There is no social life for them and they may even have to give up friends, church or other family to care for that person. It is a very lonely road. If it is a child many times the marriage fails.

If we can recognize cancer, heart disease or other illnesses as important and fund research for them, then why not give notice to mental illness. Are we still in the dark ages with this? We must do better because as we have seen this problem is not getting better but more severe and frequent. Just my thoughts from experience.
compassion

Vaughn, WA

#2 Mar 28, 2013
Schizophrenia is a cruel disease. I've watch a promising and happy young man turn into a tormented soul whether on meds or not. He is constantly trying to escape the hallucinations and voices that harass and humilate him. He won't tell me what they are telling him,but I can hear his yelling at them to leave him alone and go away constantly.

“Good News Travels Fast”

Since: Jan 11

Parts Unknown

#3 Mar 28, 2013
Reagan cut funding to many mentally ill when he was Pres. Made for a lot of crazy homeless people.
CALIFORNIA WOMAN

San Diego, CA

#4 Apr 9, 2013
ElephantFly wrote:
Reagan cut funding to many mentally ill when he was Pres. Made for a lot of crazy homeless people.
For all you republicans out there take note. WELL THE DEMS ARE NO GOOD EITHER. THEY ARE POISED TO CUT SOCIAL SECURITY AND MEDICARE -
BOTH PAID FOR BY MANY YEARS OF WORK. FOR THE YOUTH ARE YOU PREPARED TO SEE YOUR OLD FOLKS STARVE? ARE YOU GOING TO STEP UP TO THE PLATE AND CARE FOR THEM? THIS COUNTRY IS GOING DOWNHILL. WELL IF NORTH KOREA FIRES OFF A MISSLE WE DO NOT HAVE ANYTHING TO WORRY ABOUT. WWIII AND WHO WILL FIGHT IT - THE VETS RETURNED FROM THE MIDDLE EAST ALL DESTROYED AND NOT BEING ABLE TO ACCESS THEIR BENEFITS.
SHOULD HAVE GONE TO NEW ZEALAND OR AUSTRALIA.
tom

Winnfield, LA

#5 Apr 9, 2013
CALIFORNIA WOMAN wrote:
<quoted text>
For all you republicans out there take note. WELL THE DEMS ARE NO GOOD EITHER. THEY ARE POISED TO CUT SOCIAL SECURITY AND MEDICARE -
BOTH PAID FOR BY MANY YEARS OF WORK. FOR THE YOUTH ARE YOU PREPARED TO SEE YOUR OLD FOLKS STARVE? ARE YOU GOING TO STEP UP TO THE PLATE AND CARE FOR THEM? THIS COUNTRY IS GOING DOWNHILL. WELL IF NORTH KOREA FIRES OFF A MISSLE WE DO NOT HAVE ANYTHING TO WORRY ABOUT. WWIII AND WHO WILL FIGHT IT - THE VETS RETURNED FROM THE MIDDLE EAST ALL DESTROYED AND NOT BEING ABLE TO ACCESS THEIR BENEFITS.
SHOULD HAVE GONE TO NEW ZEALAND OR AUSTRALIA.
When the money runs out there will be no payments made to anyone. you voted for the scumbag in there now so stop whining. Democrats will never try to bring the debt down and stop the spending until it affects them. shrug
tom

Winnfield, LA

#6 Apr 9, 2013
ElephantFly wrote:
heck, go turn yourself in. orat opened them all up again...enjoy!
One More Word

Shreveport, LA

#7 Apr 9, 2013
We can stand here and point fingers all day and still not decide who is at fault. I was just saying that maybe if we stop playing the blame game and put the fire under some politicians butts we could get better treatment for these folks. Just forget for a day your preferance for political parties. Just stop supporting these dummies that are ruining our country and put some new blood in. If we stop allowing these idiots to treat people that way then we may get somewhere. Just because your party of preferance says vote this way or that does not mean you have to. Step out of your comfort zone and just look at the big picture. What if it were a man or woman that was not heard of in the Washington circles and had some good qualities? We need to have an azz kicking and house cleaning in Washington. All parties need a shakeup.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Winnfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Sheriff's race next year, who will you vote for? (Jul '14) 10 hr Winnfield 101
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints 15 hr Elder 1
Ray Pender Sat Curious 1
Rockwood (Jun '12) Aug 19 Sandy 41
Matt Shelton BUSTED Aug 17 Intel 1
Heather & blake Aug 10 whoknowswhat 6
Blake Ballard Aug 10 whoknowswhat 7

Winnfield Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Winnfield Mortgages