Police Jury Tax proposal April 2013

Posted in the Winnfield Forum

the people spoke

Pineville, LA

#1 Apr 6, 2013
The people spoke loud and clear. The new tax proposed by McFarland where he wanted to cut city taxpayers out of garbage pick-up failed to pass.
Thank you voters!
When McFarland changed the Health Unit tax from a 5 year tax to a 10 year tax he said it was to save taxpayers $30,000 not to have an election in 5 years. So assuming this April, 6, 2013 tax proposal election cost us $30,000 that exceeds by $10,000 the $20,000 the jury budgeted in 2009 for City Street Work for one whole year.
The citizens should continue voting down any tax that is proposed to be voted on in a SPECIAL election. Our elected representatives need to show us they are good administrators of our hard earned tax dollars before we vote for another tax. The jury could have maintained the city streets for one year for what this one election cost. Remember the jurors who voted to put this tax proposal on the ballot in a special election when the next election comes up. CHANGE THEM OUT!
tater

Winnfield, LA

#2 Apr 6, 2013
That guy is a dawg, a creepy sneaky one. I didn't think my no vote would help, but I guess it did.
the people spoke

Pineville, LA

#3 Apr 6, 2013
tater wrote:
That guy is a dawg, a creepy sneaky one. I didn't think my no vote would help, but I guess it did.
Thank you so much for your NO vote, yours and 809 others defeated this tax.
GET IT RIGHT

United States

#4 Apr 7, 2013
Now what will the jury members do about parish garbage pick up? They better get their heads screwed on straight and get another tax on the ballot this summer that will cover ALL the citizens of the parish or they may find themselves voted OUT OF OFFICE come re-election time! The people have spoken and they may speak again! We are watching our elected officials like a hawk! Get it RIGHT next time Winn Parish Police Jury!
Quest

United States

#6 Apr 7, 2013
GET IT RIGHT wrote:
Now what will the jury members do about parish garbage pick up? They better get their heads screwed on straight and get another tax on the ballot this summer that will cover ALL the citizens of the parish or they may find themselves voted OUT OF OFFICE come re-election time! The people have spoken and they may speak again! We are watching our elected officials like a hawk! Get it RIGHT next time Winn Parish Police Jury!
No new taxes are needed.
clear

Pineville, LA

#7 Apr 8, 2013
Quest wrote:
<quoted text>
No new taxes are needed.
Government is taking too much from our pockets now. As to the new tax that was just defeated one of the police jurors in and Article Feb.6, 2013 juryman Hutto said ,“Years ago this thing ( speaking of the present tax shared by city and parish) was developed as a sanitation tax, 40% city and 60% parish,” said Hutto.“It worked out great. The city bills about $281,000 a year, ours comes out at over $700,000 a year. I’ve got too many friends, and I’m not going to cut them out of garbage. Everybody knows it’s a revenue thing.”

The citizens of Winn recognized this McFarland and Jury tax as a new "revenue thing" and rejected the additional taxes. Government will waste all it can get , then ask for more.
The election cost $30,000 according to McFarland's statement about another election ( Health Unit tax) that he said would cost that much.
McFarland accused some city council members of maybe not knowing how the city's money was spent.( Feb 15, 2013 Winn paper)
Read more: Winn Parish Enterprise - We re the victim here claims Jury

He claimed the jury knew where all their money went, so he thoroughly understood how much waste there was in calling for a special election, with nothing else on the ballot.
BUT....McFarland said,( I believe the Feb. 6, 2013 Winn paper)“The only reason we’re doing it now is because we had the opportunity to put it on the ballot with the legislative proposals that are coming up,” said McFarland.“It won’t cost the police jury anything. That was why the agreement with the mayor was so important, because it wasn’t going to cost the citizens a dime, whether it passes or fails. It was the best time to do it, cost-wise.”
Am I missing something? There was nothing else on the ballot with this tax proposal, was it? the Police Jury ( using my money and yours) had to pay for this election 100%.( around $30,000 according to McFarland's estimate of special elections)

Read more: Winn Parish Enterprise - We re the victim here claims Jury
Winn Resident

Oklahoma City, OK

#8 Apr 9, 2013
I will be voting "NO"!!! How crazy to spend money for an election with one item on the ballot!!
tom

Winnfield, LA

#9 Apr 9, 2013
Winn Resident wrote:
I will be voting "NO"!!! How crazy to spend money for an election with one item on the ballot!!
uhhhhhh, the voting is over. it was defeated.
Winn Resident

Oklahoma City, OK

#10 Apr 9, 2013
tom wrote:
<quoted text>uhhhhhh, the voting is over. it was defeated.
Very sorry! Thought it was this coming weekend. But, very glad it was defeated.
Topper

Winnfield, LA

#11 Apr 9, 2013
People like you get on here and talk but no action. If you are not going to vote don't have an opion .
clear

Pineville, LA

#12 Apr 10, 2013
Some of our police jurors are completely out of touch with their constituents. Ms.Leeper stated she had only had one call about the McFarland/Jury tax and after she explained they understood. Little did she know her district would vote almost 2 to 1 AGAINST THE TAX. SHE MUST BE OUT OF TOUCH. Needs to be replaced with someone more attuned to their wishes. New taxes are not their wish. Hope she noticed.
voting base

United States

#13 Apr 10, 2013
Police Jury special meeting to discuss all this Wed. April 10, 2013 4:00pm at the Courthouse.
clear

Pineville, LA

#14 Apr 10, 2013
voting base wrote:
Police Jury special meeting to discuss all this Wed. April 10, 2013 4:00pm at the Courthouse.
Humm; didn't see this until 9:00PM. Anyone know what went on at the meeting this afternoon? Wonder what there was to discuss? Maybe they will agree to share with the city if there is another tax election for garbage pick-up? They certainly don't need a new tax for roads. This election just wasted $30,000 of our hard earned tax dollars according to what McFarland said when he was going to "save" us money to have the health unit tax for 10 years instead of the 5 we had been having.
will

Winnfield, LA

#15 Apr 10, 2013
clear wrote:
<quoted text>
Humm; didn't see this until 9:00PM. Anyone know what went on at the meeting this afternoon? Wonder what there was to discuss? Maybe they will agree to share with the city if there is another tax election for garbage pick-up? They certainly don't need a new tax for roads. This election just wasted $30,000 of our hard earned tax dollars according to what McFarland said when he was going to "save" us money to have the health unit tax for 10 years instead of the 5 we had been having.
they spend their time trying to get more tax instead of managing well what they have. They need replaced, having proven to be liars.
clear

Pineville, LA

#16 Apr 11, 2013
will wrote:
<quoted text>
they spend their time trying to get more tax instead of managing well what they have. They need replaced, having proven to be liars.
Yes, they need to be voted out. Any public body that, in these stressful economic times, would deliberately put a tax measure on a ballot when no other issue was on the ballot and knowing the full cost of the special election would be borne by us tax payers, need to be terminated from holding any public office. Every one of the jurors voted to put this measure on the ballot. One withdrew support later and another admitted this tax was a revenue measure. That was a little late! It was already approved to be on the ballot. Just think what the jury could have done for the taxpayers with the $30,000 this election cost, according to McFarland's statement previously about the cost of special elections. They could have made payments on some equipment that is financed and save us lots of money in interest payments and with prudent management of every item could actually reduce some millage rates that is placed on property owners.
The nation, state and local governments are in distress because of wasteful spending and they intend to bring taxpayers down to by ever increasing their taxes. NO more taxes!
across the state

Pineville, LA

#17 May 7, 2013
the people spoke wrote:
The people spoke loud and clear. The new tax proposed by McFarland where he wanted to cut city taxpayers out of garbage pick-up failed to pass.
Thank you voters!
When McFarland changed the Health Unit tax from a 5 year tax to a 10 year tax he said it was to save taxpayers $30,000 not to have an election in 5 years. So assuming this April, 6, 2013 tax proposal election cost us $30,000 that exceeds by $10,000 the $20,000 the jury budgeted in 2009 for City Street Work for one whole year.
The citizens should continue voting down any tax that is proposed to be voted on in a SPECIAL election. Our elected representatives need to show us they are good administrators of our hard earned tax dollars before we vote for another tax. The jury could have maintained the city streets for one year for what this one election cost. Remember the jurors who voted to put this tax proposal on the ballot in a special election when the next election comes up. CHANGE THEM OUT!
Voters across the state recently rejected new taxes even for schools. We are getting fed up with ever increasing taxes when earnings are not keeping up with inflation and jobs are hard to find. See Lincoln Parish News Online for a chart of failed tax proposals in the state. Government is going to have to manage the revenues we give them better and quit asking for so many more taxes. And since we pay for our insurance so should the JURY member spay for theirs without our tax dollars being used for their benefit. We pay them a good salary for the hours they put in and now they are using our tax dollars to help pay for thier insurance That is wrong!Teh taxpayer has no help.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Winnfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Add a word drop a word (Feb '10) 3 min Hatti_Hollerand 1,636
LA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Louisiana... (Oct '10) 5 min Not Landrieu 3,529
Who will you vote 4 SHERIFF in 2015 (Aug '13) 6 hr Tooler 50
Winn firefighter cited for disobeying sheriff's... Tue icbs 23
christian cockerham (Dec '10) Tue icbs 7
WSHS football predicton Tue Tiger 88 19
Listen to the Scriptures Tue Winnfield 1
Winnfield Dating
Find my Match

Winnfield Jobs

Winnfield People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Winnfield News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Winnfield