Metra's UP North Line resumes service after fatality -- Winnetk...

Metra trains on the commuter rail's Union Pacific North Line between downtown Chicago and the northern suburbs were up and running Tuesday morning after temporary delays were caused when a train struck and ... Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
mmc

Chicago, IL

#1 Apr 1, 2008
Great job metra (sarcasm). We were stranded on the platform with little information while we watched southbound train after train pass us while we waited for a northbound train.
Ajith Joseph

Evanston, IL

#3 Apr 1, 2008
The train departing chicago at 7.25 wasnt 20 minutes late, it in fact was more than 2 hours behind schedule.
Following which, commuters had to get off the train at clybourn because it was going to run express till waukegan. Commuters could only catch the third train following to arrive at their destination. While I do understand the circumstances, I think, Metra should report and inform accurately.
mike b

Glenview, IL

#4 Apr 1, 2008
Train wins again! when will people learn? RIP
confused

Buffalo Grove, IL

#5 Apr 1, 2008
What station is there at 3100 N Ravenswood? I thought Clybourn was at Armitage?
Heartless

Chicago, IL

#6 Apr 1, 2008
This wasn't near a station, rather it was between stations. So I'd guess it was either an unfortunate accident where a METRA worker was hit or a deliberate suicide. Most likley it was the latter.
Joe Commuter

Glenview, IL

#7 Apr 1, 2008
I was in Ogilivie Station downtown for the 7:04 and it was cancelled. The 7:25 train left the station late and then sat about a mile outside the station until 9:15. Most riders on that train had to depart at Clybourn and wait for a train that would make their stop.
Look out

Brooklyn, NY

#9 Apr 1, 2008
How many people have been killed by Metra this year? It is becoming a weekly event.
Been There

Crystal Lake, IL

#11 Apr 1, 2008
mmc wrote:
Great job metra (sarcasm). We were stranded on the platform with little information while we watched southbound train after train pass us while we waited for a northbound train.
I used to have that type of sarcasm for accidents. The thing that changed my mind were my neighbors. The adults went out and left their kids with a sitter. On their way home they were in a horrific accident near their house. The babysitter took the kids to see the accident not knowing it was their parents.
Nowadays I know to show sympathy and compasion for the people who first arrive on the scene and the relatives and to appreciate the fact that I can sit safely on the side and wait knowing that it could have been me.
City Girl

Ann Arbor, MI

#12 Apr 1, 2008
OK, really, this is starting to get OLD!!! What is the problem? If you want to throw yourself in front of a train can you not do it during rush periods? I don't really understand what's going on here. I find it hard to believe that this many train conductors are so carelss that this keeps happening.
Debbie

Englewood, CO

#13 Apr 1, 2008
if someone is in such despair that they feel their only option is to throw themselves in front of a train, there is, for one thing, nothing a conductor or METRA can do about it. And for another thing, we should all say a prayer for that poor soul instead of worrying about the fact that we are 2 hours late for work. Be thankful that you have a job to go to and a means to get there and the breath to even consider complaining about how bad your day has been because this happened to YOU! I'm sure this person did this just to ruin your day! good grief!
Rider

New York, NY

#14 Apr 1, 2008
City Girl wrote:
OK, really, this is starting to get OLD!!! What is the problem? If you want to throw yourself in front of a train can you not do it during rush periods? I don't really understand what's going on here. I find it hard to believe that this many train conductors are so carelss that this keeps happening.
What does the conductor have to do with someone on the tracks who shouldn't even be there?
Nicholas

Chicago, IL

#16 Apr 1, 2008
A suicide that disrupts things is often the desired effect -- going out in a way that people will notice (even if they are irked). Thus, it is quite likely people who want to off themselves via Metra choose rush hour on purpose.

I was going to off myself during rush hour. But, reading these comments, I think I'll wait until mid-morning. Hope you see me on the news!
Jess

Chicago, IL

#17 Apr 1, 2008
City Girl wrote:
I find it hard to believe that this many train conductors are so carelss that this keeps happening.
I don't get it...do you think trains can stop on a dime?
TrainMan

Chicago, IL

#18 Apr 1, 2008
The waste here is that officials hold up traffic an hour or two to investigate. What's to investigate? Some idiot jumped in front of a train. Scrape 'em up and take 'em to the morgue.
Bill

Danville, IL

#19 Apr 1, 2008
I was on one of the trains passing by the "scene" and the Police did not cover any of the remains, so limps and parts of the torso were in sight of onlookers on the train. Terrible way to start the morning to see such a sight.
Sarah

United States

#20 Apr 1, 2008
karen wrote:
why are people so selfish when they kill themselves? do it elsewhere. no one else needs to be involved!!
I find this comment, itself, extremely selfish. When someone is desperate and despairing enough to end their life, the last thing they're going to be thinking about is people getting to work on time. Besides, their life IS much more important than being on time to some job. It's because people are too absorbed in themselves and aren't involved enough that people get to this point.
robert m

Chicago, IL

#21 Apr 1, 2008
it was an apparnet suicide...... there isn't a train station there..... i was on that first train and it sounded like we ran over gravel....we were two hours late arriving downtown.... this has happened to me before. Like 20 years ago , same area, but we were then delayed only half an hour. times have changed, cis goes out there and takes pics and everything else official.... half an hour vs. 2 hours .....
Been There

Crystal Lake, IL

#22 Apr 1, 2008
City Girl wrote:
Wow, calm down. You NEED drugs.
attention to detail

Homer Glen, IL

#23 Apr 1, 2008
As usual the media gets the little things wrong, that is not CPD as the photo suggests. Attention to detail
Retired Railroader

Marion, IL

#24 Apr 1, 2008
Look out wrote:
How many people have been killed by Metra this year? It is becoming a weekly event.
The once Director of Safety for Metra said that "Metra trains are the Golden Gate Bridge of the Chicago area." As long as the trains run there will be suicides.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Winnetka Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Updated 8/19: Lawsuit decided in favor of polic... (Aug '08) Dec 14 SATAN 36
Obese patients sometimes denied replacements fo... (May '06) Dec 8 James hancock 47
Weekend picks: Second City fills the suburbs wi... Dec 5 cory 3
mike rossi and david cram (Jul '12) Dec 4 alright 67
Dick Stevens Has Gone Nuts With New Product (May '10) Dec 3 JeffEckert 148
Her Christian journey Dec 3 RevKen 1
The 7th hole at Billy Caldwell Golf Course is o... Dec 1 Amy S 1
Winnetka Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Winnetka People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Winnetka News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Winnetka

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 2:50 pm PST

Bleacher Report 2:50PM
Complete Week 15 Preview for Green Bay
Bleacher Report 8:19 PM
Ranking Packers' Best Wins over Buccaneers
NBC Sports 8:26 AM
Report: Executives suggest Bears could have to attach a draft pick to move Cutler
Yahoo! Sports12:30 PM
Greg Cosell's Look Ahead: Aaron Rodgers' off day
Yahoo! Sports 5:26 PM
Lions claim playoff berth with Eagles' loss