District 36: Winnetkans grapple with definition of 'progressive education'

Dec 18, 2009 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Highland Park News

A philosophical battle is underway at Winnetka School District 36 as parents and district officials struggle to find a middle ground between "progressive education" and traditional learning.

Comments
1 - 6 of 6 Comments Last updated Dec 23, 2009

“Really? Really?”

Since: Apr 08

G'View

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2009

I'm not clear why this has to be a one or the other situation. I've used "progressive" methods of education in concert with more "traditional" methods since I was in Kindergarten. Traditional methods are good for what they're good for and Progressive methods are good for what they're good for. One cannot be used exclusively over the other.
Seymore

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2009

Progressive education = Liberal agenda!

Wake up. Brainwashing is not educating.

“Really? Really?”

G'View

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2009

Seymore wrote:
Progressive education = Liberal agenda!
Wake up. Brainwashing is not educating.
What the fcuk are you talking about? Do you even know what Progressive Education is? It's about employing new methods of learning rather than read, memorize, recite. It's about using more interactive types of learning such as role-playing, games and experiments. Science class is "Progressive Education".
When I was in grade school we embarked in a week-long program called "Count Me In" with the goal to make us more aware of what it would be like to have a disability. During that time we had people with disabilities come in and speak to us (one of them was a friend of mine) and we had activities in gym that simulated what it was like to be disabled. You know what? It worked.
Another year we were learning about Economics and we turned our classroom into a business. My class made and sold candy. We had to learn about production, supply and demand, accounting and crime. Worked like a charm, better than just reading a dumb old book.
For many subjects, experience is the best teacher.
ken_cougar

Edmond, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2009

Seymore, please read -> Transforming education:
As we turn from education in the U.S. to the education vision of Fethullah Gülen, we see parallels. Like Postman and Whitehead, Gülen (1998) sees failure in institutions of education as a result of veering from human values and ethics to those of material success, producing generations “devoid of any ideal”(p. 110). Scientists, for example, have been taught to find new ways to dominate nature and other human beings (Gülen, 2003), and not taking responsibility for the consequences of their work, they have created major global problems, such as environmental pollution (Gülen, cited in Agai, 2003). On a local scale, corruption and greed appear to be widespread. Only until “the material and spiritual realms are reconciled” in the upbringing of young generations will harmony and understanding become prevalent (Gülen, 2000).
If you want to read the whole article which is very attracting here is the link:
http://fethullahgulenconference.org/houston/r...
Seymore

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2009

ken_cougar wrote:
Seymore, please read -> Transforming education:
As we turn from education in the U.S. to the education vision of Fethullah Gülen, we see parallels. Like Postman and Whitehead, Gülen (1998) sees failure in institutions of education as a result of veering from human values and ethics to those of material success, producing generations “devoid of any ideal”(p. 110). Scientists, for example, have been taught to find new ways to dominate nature and other human beings (Gülen, 2003), and not taking responsibility for the consequences of their work, they have created major global problems, such as environmental pollution (Gülen, cited in Agai, 2003). On a local scale, corruption and greed appear to be widespread. Only until “the material and spiritual realms are reconciled” in the upbringing of young generations will harmony and understanding become prevalent
(Gülen, 2000).
If you want to read the whole article which is very attracting here is the link:
http://fethullahgulenconference.org/houston/r...
Teach these kids how to spell, write, and do math and forget all of this BS. Right now, most of them only know how to write with their thumbs in a text message.

“Really? Really?”

G'View

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2009

Seymore wrote:
<quoted text>
Teach these kids how to spell, write, and do math and forget all of this BS. Right now, most of them only know how to write with their thumbs in a text message.
"These young whippersnappers, why, back in my day..."

That's exactly what you sound like: a tired, cranky old man who's bitter that the world has passed him by.

Now, kids are learning how to spell, write (which are the same thing) and "do math", just now they're learning in a more effective way. Do you know any tradesmen? Ask them if they learned their trade out of a book or by actually doing the job.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Winnetka Discussions

Search the Winnetka Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
IL Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 9 min truth 48,867
IL Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) 37 min KrisChristie 1,856
Officials: Mariano's looking to build in Des Pl... 10 hr Beyonce's Weave 4
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 15 hr nuguyntwn 3,827
Victim in Tuesday's Skokie Shooting is Identified 18 hr bensleys thoughts 1
Police Blotter (Jun '10) 20 hr mewxico bOy 18
Obese patients sometimes denied replacements fo... (May '06) Wed Nogods 54
•••

Beach Hazards Statement for Cook County was issued at July 24 at 3:20AM CDT

•••
•••
•••
Winnetka Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••