New Trier: District 203 to weigh repl...

New Trier: District 203 to weigh replacing outmoded, but histor...

There are 40 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Apr 1, 2009, titled New Trier: District 203 to weigh replacing outmoded, but histor.... In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

More than a century after New Trier High School opened its doors, the fate of the flagship campus is uncertain as school leaders weigh the cost of a future renovation, the charm of its terrazzo-tiled past and the financial tumult of the present.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Seymore

United States

#22 Apr 1, 2009
jethro wrote:
nuke it!
You must be Jethro Bodine, one of the Beverly Hillbillies.
why do they need this

Springfield, IL

#23 Apr 1, 2009
I went to New Trier, and have to say that part of the joy of going there was the sense of history in the building. Really, you don't need laptops in class most of the time anyway, so who cares if the desks are small, close together, and the floor is raked auditorium style (as it was in the chemistry classroom, all the better to see the teacher's demonstration).
As for the tech arts building, unfortunately New Trier foolishly got rid of tech arts a few years ago, notwithstanding the fact that kids who learn electronics in high school often grow up to become electrical engineers, etc. But that's probably why they want to retrofit those rooms. As for the music portion of the building, I never noticed any real lack, and again, the historic nature of the building gave students a sense of history that helped encourage them. As a young performer, it was nice to know that the likes of Ann Margaret once sat in the same chorus room I was sitting in.
Cost Analysis

Chicago, IL

#24 Apr 1, 2009
Many of the people who say to save the building and save the money don't realize the expense involed in annual maintenance for upkeep on an old building like that. As far the the historic building, I'd love to see it remain. But, the new wing where they house gyms and driver's ed is terrible. It was terrible the day it was opened.

But, compare maintenance on upkeep on an old building vs. the cost of construction of a new building which will need minimal repairs and maintenance for the next 20 years.
Carol

AOL

#25 Apr 1, 2009
Close NT East and move all students to NT West. If NT West is too small, add onto it. It has to be cheaper to renovate the building in Northfield than the one in Winnetka.
Hmmm

Robbins, IL

#26 Apr 1, 2009
Real List wrote:
The North Shore folks will want to keep NT running strong, new buildings or not. Otherwise, their kids will be shipped to GlenBrook North where the girls throw human feces at each other in yearly hazing rituals.
The good people of Winnetka will not stand for such shenanigans, unlike their Northbrook counterparts.
I agree. Why girls at Glenbrook North feel the need to humiliate their fellow students and use their own stool to do so is a stain (pun intended) on the school's reputation for now through eternity.
TAZ

Midlothian, IL

#27 Apr 1, 2009
leave the building alone...it obviously works well....update what needs to be updated and leave our history intact! stop ripping down the north shore and start preserving it...I want my kids to go to the same school I went to..that's why I live here...leave the building alone!
JWK

Northbrook, IL

#28 Apr 1, 2009
Oh, Mumsy, something MUST be done forthwith. The school spa is SOO00 over-crowded it is positively unbearable!! And there is just not enough space for our Range Rovers and our massively inflated self-images and vies of our self-worth. EGAD!!
alli

Calumet City, IL

#29 Apr 1, 2009
As a 2005 graduate of New Trier, and with a younger sister who graduated last year, that school holds an extremely special place in my heart. I couldn't have asked for a more incredible place to spend my high school years and would be absolutely heartbroken if the decision to raze the building was passed. Yes, there are many areas of the campus that are old and may be a little crumbly, but they simply add to the charm and history. Never in all my years there, from birthday parties when I was little to visiting once I'd already graduated, did it ever feel unsafe or "improperly equipped" to teach. What made New Trier such an unforgettable experience was the learning from incredible teachers, being surrounded by great students, and doing it all in a building full of history. Please consider all the memories you'd be demolishing with the building if you decide it must come down.
KAG

Midlothian, IL

#30 Apr 1, 2009
Maybe just threaten area residents with accepting all those out-of-district poor blacks that came over to register as a protest in September if the school is not refurbished. Maybe that will spur area taxpayers to cough up the dollars for renovation.
James

Algonquin, IL

#31 Apr 1, 2009
At least our district (New Trier) is making a plan, and is considering the cost effectiveness of maintaining old versus building new. I'm not sure many school districts spend that much time planning for the future.
J Brenner

Hickory Hills, IL

#32 Apr 2, 2009
Why in any article about the need to rebuild the Winnetka camnpus is their never any mention of selling the land and adding one building and a fourth floor to the Northfield campus, which has the space to expand, was originally designed to be four floors and has parking for students and faculty/staff/

Since: Jul 07

PARK RIDGE IL.

#33 Apr 26, 2009
Seymore wrote:
Kids do need laptops in class. How else can they instant message each other and keep up with the latest on YouTube during the school day?
They can do that in their own spare time stupid!
Seymore

United States

#34 Apr 27, 2009
MIKETOUHY wrote:
<quoted text>
They can do that in their own spare time stupid!
Ever hear of the word sarcasm, douche bag? Are you that idiotic to not be able to determine black and white? You are out of touch with reality, pal.

PARK RIDGE IL.

#35 Apr 27, 2009
Well if you were just kidding then I apologize.

Sometimes it helps to make it clear you're doing that.

After all there are people who think in such a way.
Seymore

United States

#36 Apr 27, 2009
MIKETOUHY wrote:
Well if you were just kidding then I apologize.
Sometimes it helps to make it clear you're doing that.
After all there are people who think in such a way.
OK, but not me. Apology accepted.
EastCoastPhillly

Gurnee, IL

#37 Jun 1, 2009
Sharon wrote:
The building is a dump - it's about time something is done!
Sharon you are soooo right. I've been through the school and it's depressing.
EastCoastPhillly

Gurnee, IL

#38 Jun 1, 2009
KAG wrote:
Maybe just threaten area residents with accepting all those out-of-district poor blacks that came over to register as a protest in September if the school is not refurbished. Maybe that will spur area taxpayers to cough up the dollars for renovation.
We would welcome them w/ open arms. Such a pity that racists like you still feel it's ok to bash "white" people for having the nerve to be successful and live in a nice community. Last I noticed our community ,of New Trier, contains and welcomes people of all races.

PARK RIDGE IL.

#39 Jun 1, 2009
EastCoastPhillly wrote:
<quoted text>
Sharon you are soooo right. I've been through the school and it's depressing.
Another jerk who thinks everything that's old is a garbage dump.
EastCoastPhillly

Gurnee, IL

#40 Jun 17, 2009
MIKETOUHY wrote:
<quoted text>
Another jerk who thinks everything that's old is a garbage dump.
What a ridiculous statement. Mike I suggest you review the New Trier Extension booklet for reading comprehension courses...as you obviously did not read my comments correctly. I'm sure you will enjoy quality time w/in the pea green tiled halls of NTHS.
Honestly

Elgin, IL

#41 Aug 10, 2009
just another excuse to TAX and SPEND

NTHS has no shame.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Winnetka Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Nicole Howver LW Unlicensed Daycare Dec 13 Acd 6
News Three people indicted for murder in Henderson C... Dec 12 Brett gotaas 1
Who do you support for U.S. House in Illinois (... (Oct '10) Nov 29 Willie 162
First Government Lease / Paul Graver (Sep '12) Nov 29 David R 11
Kenneka Jenkins was transgender Nov 21 ainjtown 4
Review: Evan Anthony Ryan Nov '17 EVAN ANTHONY RYAN 1
News Guilty verdict in fatal Des Plaines stabbing (Apr '10) Nov '17 Lowest of Them All 27

Winnetka Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Winnetka Mortgages