Another North Shore town approves 'de...

Another North Shore town approves 'demolition' taxes for teardowns

There are 67 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jan 5, 2009, titled Another North Shore town approves 'demolition' taxes for teardowns. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

The cost of tearing down a home on the North Shore is going up. Bannockburn recently joined a growing list of communities that are turning to "demolition" taxes or fees for a new source of revenue as builders ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
EastCoastPhilly

Gurnee, IL

#66 Jan 8, 2009
jjrg7 wrote:
Personally I think its a good thing when a builder tears down a dumpy small home and builds a nicer one in its place. Why penalize someone for doing so. Do you have to pay if you build a McMonsterous add on?
Too funny...love the quip "McMonsterous Ad on"

Since: Jul 07

PARK RIDGE IL.

#67 Jan 19, 2009
So all small homes are dumpy?

What if someone can't afford these largers homes.

Especialyy in places like Winneka and the other NS towns sanwiched in between Evanston and Waukegan which are mostly residential and cost more to live in.

I figure not everyone in those towns are rich and those who wanna remain and can't find a reasonable size inexpensive will be out of luck if too many of these homes get knocked down.

What is it with the large homes these days?

Seems like most modern day homes are being built large these days.
unbelievable

Northbrook, IL

#68 Feb 4, 2009
I don't believe I was replying to you. This one is complaining about working long hours, a long commute, and paying a 1/3 of his income in taxes. We all create/choose our own lifestyle, so I'm just saying go cry someplace else. This fee is not "unjust" and I doubt he is even subject to it.
pjr wrote:
<quoted text>
Who said anything about communism?
I want capitalism, not statism.
BTW: You didn't add anything to the conversation, save pointing out that even worse things exist. That doesn't make this OK. Theft is bad, even if murder is worse.

Since: Oct 08

Schaumburg, IL

#69 Feb 14, 2009
A REAL McMansion! I wonder how much McDonalds had to pay in fees in Northbrook for the old Steve Foley Chevrolet property on Skokie Valley Rd!
bricks and mortar

Highland Park, IL

#70 Feb 24, 2009
The people who live in the northshore teardowns do not whine when they receive $500,000 for a 50 year old ranch with a leaky basement on a 75x150 ft lot. The village buys shiny new police cars and pay the teachers 6 figure salaries with the now $28000 dollars I pay in taxes compared to the $8000 dollars on the old ranch.Good teachers with a good salary equates to a high acheiving school,plus a well equiped police force,therefore a demand for homes as people want to live here and are prepared to pay.In my northshore village you can only build on 40% of the land area so yes we maximize the available building area. As far as I am concerned we are regenerating the area we live in with medium to large homes tastefully designed and constructed to a high standard to mature with age within the community.If you do not live on the northshore try to refrain from making uneducated descisions on heresay and perceptions you think are true but bare no fact to the reality of the situation.If you do live on the northshore you may whine when building takes place in your immediate vicinity and a 'character' house like yours is reduced to a pile of rubble, of course the smile on your face will be memorable when you eventually sell up and receive your rather healthy check to deposit into your retirement account. Oh yes if you don't like living here any more, move as I need to build another mansion.

Since: Jul 07

PARK RIDGE IL.

#71 Feb 25, 2009
whatever.
Tom Hastings

Glendale Heights, IL

#72 Jun 1, 2016
Full Circle wrote:
Welcome to America, land of the free, where you will immediately surrender 1/3 of your income and then pay taxes, fines and fees on everything else you do. You will pay fees to drive on streets, taxes to buy a car, taxes to fill said car to get to work to pay the 1/3 of your income. You will then pay taxes to eat to be able to finish your work day to pay the income taxes. After a 9-10 hour day at work and 2 hour round trip commute, you can go home to sleep and get ready for the next work day, but while you are sleeping, you can hear the gov't siphoning property tax money out of your home...
Keep voting DEMOCRAT and watch your money just burn away.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Winnetka Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Debate swirls over arrests of 13 Highland Park ... (Oct '08) 15 hr Anonymous 1,001
News Community rallies around beaten South Elgin boy Sat Community 5
mike rossi and david cram (Jul '12) Feb 23 Delson 91
News SWAT team called out after 'butt dialing' incident (Jan '11) Feb 1 Such Loud Pharts 7
News Travelers being held at Oa Hare due to executiv... Jan 30 Elio 7
News Politicians across US in trouble for social med... Jan '17 Frogface Kate 15
News Swift discipline for social media posts mocking... Jan '17 PoliciaFederal 3

Winnetka Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Winnetka Mortgages