Another North Shore town approves 'demolition' taxes for teardowns

There are 66 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jan 5, 2009, titled Another North Shore town approves 'demolition' taxes for teardowns. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

The cost of tearing down a home on the North Shore is going up. Bannockburn recently joined a growing list of communities that are turning to "demolition" taxes or fees for a new source of revenue as builders ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Right

Des Plaines, IL

#2 Jan 5, 2009
Pleeez! Call it what it is - a way to raise revenue. Damage to the roads to the cost of tens of thousands of dollars - and they expect people to believe this? Don't those bigger homes pay 4 times the property tax of the houses they replace anyway?
Merv

Chicago, IL

#3 Jan 5, 2009
This could have possibly prevented those massive wanna-be funeral homes from being built in Bucktown and Wicker Park.
Full Circle

Vernon Hills, IL

#4 Jan 5, 2009
Welcome to America, land of the free, where you will immediately surrender 1/3 of your income and then pay taxes, fines and fees on everything else you do. You will pay fees to drive on streets, taxes to buy a car, taxes to fill said car to get to work to pay the 1/3 of your income. You will then pay taxes to eat to be able to finish your work day to pay the income taxes. After a 9-10 hour day at work and 2 hour round trip commute, you can go home to sleep and get ready for the next work day, but while you are sleeping, you can hear the gov't siphoning property tax money out of your home...
Lives Up Dere

Lombard, IL

#5 Jan 5, 2009
$10,000 is a pittance for these situations. The North Shore used have to places for average families to live, and almost all of that has gone away in the last 10 years. It should be 10% of the assessed value of the new structure.

Spec homes have stopped selling but custom teardowns haven't. These homes have bathroom sink faucets that cost over $1000 each, and door knobs that cost over $200 each. Believe me, the new owners will gladly pay it.
Salsa Shark

Bartlett, IL

#7 Jan 5, 2009
So...how many people are sick of being nickeled and dimed? Instead of making our government more efficient and accountable, they just keep tacking on the taxes, fines and fees.

It's one thing to pay your fair share, but it's exhausting when there are thousand hands reaching out to take it bit by bit...
T Lavins

Glenwood, IL

#8 Jan 5, 2009
Wake up North Shore towns! WRONG TIME to do anything which is going to make it more expensive for a home to be built!!You are nickel and diming the person who is GIVING your village an annuity which will pay you dearly for years to come. You are merely going to force these homeowners/builders to go build their mulit-million dollar home some place where they and their money is welcomed.
Depot Jim

Winnetka, IL

#9 Jan 5, 2009
It is about time some of the Villages have done something. When a older home is torn down and a new McMansion is built in its place the streets leading to that property are torn up by the construction equipment. Some one has to pay for a new street and that should be the construction company.

Update! The McMansion on my street in Northbrook is over three years old and No One have ever lived in it. It is yours for only 2.5 Million.
jjrg7

Raleigh, NC

#10 Jan 5, 2009
Personally I think its a good thing when a builder tears down a dumpy small home and builds a nicer one in its place. Why penalize someone for doing so. Do you have to pay if you build a McMonsterous add on?
dmz

Chicago, IL

#12 Jan 5, 2009
Gee, I need a 6000 - 10000 square foot house for me and my family of 4 bereft of quality, design, and style (think of me as a lincoln park, bucktown, lakeview developer). If I can't build on 95% of my lot with a monstrosity, I don't know what I'll do ... I don't care if my huge house causes flooding for my neighborhood -- I want it and am willing to donate massive amounts money to my alderpuke or village council to take care of zoning and get it done. My house might not match many other houses in the neighborhood and there is more likely that it will be for sale in the next 3 years, but for now, it is mine.
Dr K

Spencer, IN

#13 Jan 5, 2009
"It's unfair to be putting the burden of raising revenue on a small segment of the population versus the greater community," said Howard Handler, the association's government affairs director."

So...does he actively lobby against cigarette taxes as well?
DBX

Chicago, IL

#14 Jan 5, 2009
The demolition tax is an excellent idea. It helps to preserve affordable housing in the community, it immediately recovers the government's costs of dealing with the demolition (or at least most of them), and it taxes a highly wasteful practice. If I have one objection to this, it's that perhaps the tax should scale with the size of the permit.

OK, there is another potential objection, and that is the McMansion can be hit with more property taxes while the old "hovel" can't. But very often these McMansions diminish the value of the properties next to them by creating a vast hulking shade-casting presence that blights the neighborhood. So I am not sympathetic to the tax base argument.
Reality

Glen Ellyn, IL

#15 Jan 5, 2009
Right wrote:
Pleeez! Call it what it is - a way to raise revenue. Damage to the roads to the cost of tens of thousands of dollars - and they expect people to believe this? Don't those bigger homes pay 4 times the property tax of the houses they replace anyway?
Um, that (a way to raise revenue) IS the definition of a TAX! The other (damage...) would be an impact fee.
Rjinchi

Chicago, IL

#16 Jan 5, 2009
are these politicians at least giving their constituants a kiss after giving them a royal screw? Keep in mind you voted these folks into office and you have the power to vote them out.

Since: Jun 08

Evanston, IL

#17 Jan 5, 2009
Let me get this straight. In the last few years, only two Bannockburn homes were torn down and now Bannockburn President James Barkemeyer says the town needs a demolition tax?

Even worse, Barkemeyer has the gall and audacity to suggest that a new home tears up roads and parkways. How can that be? Of course, the reporter, Susan Kuczka, never asks.

If cities really are concerned with the demolition of older homes they would and do have ordinances managing such projects.

This demolition tax is just another way for city leaders to raise tax revenue. It does nothing to address tear downs. Nothing, nada, zilch.

Since: Jun 08

Evanston, IL

#18 Jan 5, 2009
DBX wrote:
The demolition tax is an excellent idea. It helps to preserve affordable housing in the community, it immediately recovers the government's costs of dealing with the demolition (or at least most of them), and it taxes a highly wasteful practice. If I have one objection to this, it's that perhaps the tax should scale with the size of the permit.
OK, there is another potential objection, and that is the McMansion can be hit with more property taxes while the old "hovel" can't. But very often these McMansions diminish the value of the properties next to them by creating a vast hulking shade-casting presence that blights the neighborhood. So I am not sympathetic to the tax base argument.
DBX, I presume you're not a homeowner because you have NO IDEA what you're talking about.

First, a new home or as you say, Mcmansion, does increase the value of any neighborhood as opposed to an older and smaller home. Ask any appraiser.

A demolition tax DOES NOTHING to preserve affordable homes. Builders just pass the cost on to the buyers.

If you want to preserve affordable housing then demand your aldermaan pass price control measures. Or, move to Cuba. I hear everyone lives in affordable housing, there.

“I'm a knucklehead!”

Since: Apr 08

Lake In The Hills, IL

#19 Jan 5, 2009
oh.(slaps forehead) i thought this was going to be a story on tax breaks for tearing down all the ugly, out of place mcmansions that have popped up over the years, all over the area.(i'd really like to see that happen)

stupid headline writer got my hopes up! LOL
Indeed

Chicago, IL

#20 Jan 5, 2009
10 grand is a small price to ask for someone to make your neighborhood look hideous.
A Guy

Chicago, IL

#21 Jan 5, 2009
Isn't this a little late?
Joshua

Carpentersville, IL

#24 Jan 5, 2009
Um, stop responding to things, it makes you seem stupid. PS you missed his point anyway.
Reality wrote:
<quoted text>
Um, that (a way to raise revenue) IS the definition of a TAX! The other (damage...) would be an impact fee.
rich

East Chicago, IN

#25 Jan 5, 2009
Everyone needs to understand this, your personal property should be your personal property. What is done and change of things that you own should be yours to choose. This is called freedom, a basic right protected under the bill of rights. The govt is prohibited from depriving anybody of life, liberty, or property, without due process. You should be able to control of the use of the property, benefit from it, sell the it and exclude others from the property. The government has no right to it unless they have the authority to possess it. If they don't like what people are doing to their own land they should buy it from them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Winnetka Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ultimate Towing Ripoff Near Park Ridge (Jun '11) Fri Chelsy 11
I am Tim the clown Fri TlMfromEvanston 1
News Evanston's Divvy Bike Program Will Begin in 2016 May 17 china sneakers 1
Garage Door Repair Highland Park May 14 cheryljweiss 1
mike rossi and david cram (Jul '12) May 13 Deli22 71
News New Trier renovations might mean longer summer ... Nov '14 Love Summer 1
News Democrat Party Boss Joe Berrios Abuses Power to... (Oct '14) Oct '14 AngryGOPer 1
More from around the web

Winnetka People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]