Tax Day fix requires more than 'tea p...

Tax Day fix requires more than 'tea parties'

There are 382 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Apr 15, 2009, titled Tax Day fix requires more than 'tea parties'. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

If America's Founding Fathers were ever brought here in a time machine, their eyes would moisten with tears of pity and regret.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 20
Next Last

Since: Oct 07

Chicago

#1 Apr 15, 2009
"Instead, every American would pay a quarterly tax. We'd write our national and local tax checks to the government on Election Day, April 15. And only after writing the checks could we vote."

Great idea! However on April 15th, we should pay our tax bill in CASH before we vote. I think people would think twice after seeing a pile of their hard earned money scooped up and thrown into a money bag.
DSI

Fort Dodge, IA

#2 Apr 15, 2009
You couldn't trust the dogs not to steal the cash.
DSI

Fort Dodge, IA

#3 Apr 15, 2009
Regarding Quinn's idea to rid the politicians' of their ill gotten loot by donating it to charities of their choice, forget it.

Daley is already scamming the charities.

Have them contribute that money to help fund the capital gains project. After they take a voluntary cut in pay for doing a lousy job.
Government Grown Hemp

Williamston, MI

#5 Apr 15, 2009
If Washington and Jefferson were here today, they'd be under arrest for growing hemp. That would really make their eyes moisten.

But, I agree, stop feeding the beast, or at least put it on a diet. That might at least stop the beast from doing stupid things - like arresting those who would follow in the footsteps of Jefferson and Washington by growing hemp.

http://www.governmentgrownhemp.com
Chris

Falls Church, VA

#6 Apr 15, 2009
An Independent Populist Party - that rejects the corrupt and inept Democratic-Republican Combine that treats the peoples business like a family business - that is committed to limited government, reducing spending commitments at every level of government, ballot access for anyone who wants to participate in their democracy, and doesn't have a 'platform' of ideological constraints but allows the populace to have representatives who reflect their views, that doesn't except corporate or union money to run their campaigns - and until the populist stop listening to the likes of Paul Krugman or Grover Norquist and starts electing people who have served selflessly their nation and community - and have demonstrated their sound judgment - and willingness to do the hard right rather than the easy wrong - only then will we live up to the promise of our founding fathers.

Our governments at every level have made promises to special interest groups (particularly the public employees) that the common folks who fund our governments simply can not meet - and we don't get the generous pay and benefits that this paper editorialized yesterday on the pension scandal brewing not only in IL, but across this nation. BOTH ESTABLISHMENT PARTY'S are completely corrupted - and have to be rejected. And it should start at the local and state level.
Mark

United States

#7 Apr 15, 2009
Nice to see anyone in the mainstream media even acknowledge the Tea Parties.

Like your ideas, John!

“LONELY BEACON OF TRUTH”

Since: Oct 07

Drifter

#8 Apr 15, 2009
Simply ending withholding, would end the entire tax debate the first time Mr. and Mrs. Liberal had to write a check. Hence, it will not happen.
tmad

Bath, MI

#9 Apr 15, 2009
A lot of people ridiculed Steve Forbes for his flat tax plan a few years back, but is it really worse than the IRS mess that we have now?
Tim

Hickory Hills, IL

#10 Apr 15, 2009
Mark wrote:
Nice to see anyone in the mainstream media even acknowledge the Tea Parties.
Um, were you living under a rock today? The teabaggers got plenty of attention from the mainstream media.

Since: Apr 07

Franklin, TN

#11 Apr 16, 2009
This afternoon on the front lawn of the Federal Building in Oak Ridge, Tennessee history was made as Democrats, Republicans, independents, whites, blacks and Asians all came together for a single cause.

As I stood there listening to the different speakers, we had an open forum where individual were called upon to express themselves, I kept imagining a TV commercial were people from different backgrounds would simply say, "I'm an American".

For me personally that is what these Tea Parties are all about all of the I'm an American getting together to express one single agenda.

Flat TAX
No to illegal immigration
No to gun controls
No to BIG government
No to government that is out of control
No to government running private enterprises
No to government over stepping its' legal boundaries
NO to government bailouts and stimulus that only stimulate the pockets of politicians and inflation
NO to taxation without proper representation.
No to P O R K
NO to earmarks
NO to special interests
No to PACs

We don't need bridges that go nowhere and roads that have been resurfaced 4 times over the past 3 years. We don't need to know the mating habits of insects that only live in Africa or in Japan.

Yes my fellow Americans it did this old war horse's heart good to see and hear all of those Americans standing up and speaking their mind free from fear of governmental reprisals.
Homer

Elmhurst, IL

#12 Apr 16, 2009
Some in the media just wanted to disparage the parties by calling it "teabagging." Even Rachel Maddow ironically. However it is nice to see people who even think about disagreeing with The Chosen One actually show a pulse. Maybe there is some light at the end of the tunnel.
PJ Hoff

Chicago, IL

#13 Apr 16, 2009
John:

I'm a great fan of yours but how can the Tribune explain this headline?

Hundreds rally against taxes in Illinois

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-ap-il-...

There were thousands (if not tens of thousands) at the Chicago party alone...
John J Coughlin

Chicago, IL

#14 Apr 16, 2009
DSI wrote:
You couldn't trust the dogs not to steal the cash.
They wouldn't dare if the cash was on the table on Election Day...
Republicants

Philippines

#18 Apr 16, 2009
Government Grown Hemp wrote:
If Washington and Jefferson were here today, they'd be under arrest for growing hemp. That would really make their eyes moisten.
But, I agree, stop feeding the beast, or at least put it on a diet. That might at least stop the beast from doing stupid things - like arresting those who would follow in the footsteps of Jefferson and Washington by growing hemp.
http://www.governmentgrownhemp.com
Put down the bong!

The nation was an agrarian society without a serious drug problem when Washington and Jefferson grew hemp. It was used for rope and cloth as synthetics had not been invented yet.

Your analogy is simply the proof that your brain cells die when you imbibe. Just say no.

Since: Apr 07

Franklin, TN

#19 Apr 16, 2009
BDawG wrote:
<quoted text>
Please document your allegation that you saw blacks and Democrats at this teabaggin boondoggle...(smirk, giggle, wink) I want pics!
Will You Tube satisfy you?
jhk

Dekalb, IL

#21 Apr 16, 2009
LET'S TALK ABOUT QUINN AND THE TAX HE ISN'T ADVERTISING. ILLINOIS HB750!

IT'S ABOUT TO BECOME LAW AND WHO'S TALKING ABOUT IT?

Read this blog and read the list of services that will now have to charge a sales tax based on your point of business.

Let's wake up in Illinois.

The story on this blog is called "The Mother of All Taxes" It explains the new law, how close it is to passing and who is supporting it and why.

It also lists the new services that will have to charge the sales tax. Your car mechanic, plumber, electrician, heating guy, hair stylist, etc. you getting it.

http://www.dekalbcounty-il.com/ ...

Let as many people know about as possible, we have to stop this NOW!
InkSpot

Spanish Fort, AL

#22 Apr 16, 2009
I couldn't attend my local tea party. I was working overtime because our staff was cut by 33% last week.
Tell the Truth

Dover, MA

#23 Apr 16, 2009
Bottom line: People want services but they don't want to pay for them. What else is new?

Yes, there is corruption in politics and government? Is there corruption in the private sector?

Puleesee....!

Fact is you likely have overpaid for many things you purchased through the private sector, from your car to your house to the clothes on your back. And it's quite likely someone somewhere raked in a few extra bucks.

But you needed your house and car just like you need other "public" services (from the fireman down the street to the guy who paves your roads to the guy who dumps your trash). These all costs money.

So pay your taxes and stop your sobbing.
Chicago Slim

Chicago, IL

#24 Apr 16, 2009
Stroger can take his one quarter of one percent tax cut and hove it in an appropriate place.

I will vote against him next time and I will work tirelessly to make sure he is defeated and forced to get a real job for the first time in his miserable lying life.
Carl Segvich

Cicero, IL

#25 Apr 16, 2009
The "republican establishment" of which Kass writes about is not the republican rank and file of Illinois. The former consists of about 300 people in Illinois. The latter consists of about 2 million conservative American Illinoisans. If you consider all people, including the children of conservative families, and the non-registered, we have about 300 elitistist fools ruining the republican party for about 8 million Illinoisans.

THE MINORITY RUNS THE MAJORITY.
++++++++++

TODAY'S headline:
Mayor Daley will lay off 1,600 City of Chicago workers unless unions agree to givebacks
Paul Volpe, David Johnson tell labor leaders at City Hall of need for concessions
==========

By it's very PLATFORM and PHILOSOPHY the REPUBLICANS promote low or no taxes.

The "republicans" who are not mounting a fight against oppressive un-American taxes of crooked Stroger and the corrupt Daley brothers, are in bed, working with the anti-American Daley brothers. The "republican establishment" is not the roughly 8 million conservative Illinoisans.

We need a 2-party system.

WE NEED TO TAKE BACK the Republican Party.

PLATFORM & PHILOSOSPHY
There is moral equivocation between the ACTUAL Republican Party and the Democrat Party.

Learn what is ACTUALLY going down.

The REPUBLICAN PARTY PLATFORM runs nothing in ILLINOIS, nothing.

Liberalism and (Daley) runs everyhting in Chicago, Illinois...

...and now, along with democrat media,
...they run the USA, and rule the world.

There is no moral equivocation between the 2 party's philosophies.

Just take back your Republican Party from Daley and the fake republican committees and fake committeemen and fake state representatives, etc.

Fixing this problem requires more than just complaining and uttering "they're all the same".

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 20
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Winnetka Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who do you support for U.S. House in Illinois (... (Oct '10) 23 hr SisterMarie 109
News Alleged Prostitute Accused Of Solicting On Web (Sep '06) Aug 15 Colleen 14
NAZIS IN WILMETTE! patrick langballe gets arres... (Dec '10) Aug 13 DadDumpsMomforSec... 3
News Noise from new O'Hare runway angers Park Ridge ... (Dec '08) Aug 8 Judy 197
Poll What about the loss of Elliott's Dairy? (Mar '10) Aug 4 Agnese 56
Robberies Aug 4 Fed up cracka 1
News What's the Holdup at Area Rail Crossings? Jul 31 Night Train 4

Winnetka Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Winnetka Mortgages