Magazine seller suspected of home-invasion robbery, rape attemp...

Full story: LA Daily News
A Texas man who was selling magazine subscriptions door-to-door was arrested for allegedly committing a home-invasion robbery and attempted rape in the Winnetka area, police reported Friday. Full Story
My take

Los Angeles, CA

#1 Dec 19, 2009
It’s a shame that this magazine seller, this HUSTLER from Texas would bother PEOPLE in THE TRUE WEST. He would know better if he was a NEW YORKER. He must have been WIRED to take that job for MONEY. My question is, why’d he think he would find GLAMOUR in Winnetka? He must be MAD. Though, maybe if the girl was SEVENTEEN – sorry, I digress. If he had a CAR AND DRIVER, he might’ve gotten away, and authorities wouldn’t have found him before SUNSET. He’ll do TIME of course, and hopefully LIFE. The moral of this story: don’t open your door to solicitors. It’s all about PREVENTION.
LDT

Monrovia, CA

#2 Dec 19, 2009
These so called magazine sellers are creeps and if one comes to your door just call the police ... The only magazine sellers I know of are those of us with kids who do it for fund raising at school and generally we don't send our children out door to door ... The guys doing this so called job are scammers they come to the door acting sweet as pie and then when you say not interested there behavior becomes rude and aggressive ... I witnessed these jerks out one day and chose not to go home and let them move up the block unfortunately one of these freaks saw me drive in the drive way , he came to my front door knocking and ringing the door bell aggressively shouting out my last name because it's on the front door ... stating Ms. So & So I know you're in there !
At that I called the police and they had the freaks move on.
Judy

Beverly Hills, CA

#3 Dec 22, 2009
This ruse was used on me, in the driveway my home in "safe" Irvine California, in January of 2008. One kid (followed 5 min later by a second kid) confronted me and tried to con me by saying they were selling magazines to "earn points to qualify for a scholarship." They had no papers or any other type of official data on them, and they DID NOT stop their approach after I had screamed LOUD enough to break their eardrums. I knew this was a set-up for a home invasion robbery, so I started talking to these young kids (about 20 at the time) about Jesus and their Mothers. Somehow, I was able to deflect them with my fast thinking and conversation, but everyone -- especially women -- needs to be aware of these con artists. MY ADVICE: DO NOT OPEN YOUR DOOR TO ANYONE WHOM YOU DON'T KNOW, AND ONLY OPEN THE DOOR WHEN YOU KNOW (AHEAD OF TIME) THAT SOMEONE YOU KNOW WILL BE KNOCKING!
jennifer

Chino Hills, CA

#4 Dec 23, 2009
It is sad that this had to happen. I feel for the ones who have had any of these unfortunate incidences. I also feel for those who are good people out there trying to make a living selling magazines. I was one myself for twelve years. Now I am a successful work at home mother. There are some bad kids out there doing this as there are some hard working kids just making a living. We should be precautious for those not on the up and up side. We aren't treating every cop bad cause one pulled a gun on a person who threw a snowball at him last week in Washington DC or scared cause a few cops beat up a black guy cause of his race; why should we just assume that everyone selling magazines is a criminal or there to cause harm? What is our world coming to?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Winnetka Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Pit Bull Rescue Tia Torres husband ex-convict a... (Oct '07) 11 hr squeezers 495
New HGTV Home Design Software Allows Homeowners... (Nov '08) Wed tbrantigan 14
Truck driver arrested after train collision Wed Go Blue Forever 1
Text me I'm horny (Apr '12) Wed bigdaddyj 29
Finest In Seafood and Gourmet In Good Taste Feb 23 Mazerolle 3
Selena Gomez parties with Kardashians (Apr '14) Feb 20 MIRNA AND SELLY 10
La Quinta Resort & Club is an oasis for human a... Feb 19 Joan 1

Winter Storm Watch for Los Angeles County was issued at February 26 at 3:15PM PST

Winnetka News Video

Winnetka Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Winnetka People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 4:11 pm PST