Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil Unions

Nov 30, 2010 Full story: CBS2 49,883

The Illinois House has approved a measure to legalize civil unions for same-sex couples.

Full Story
Angus

Wilmington, IL

#41514 Aug 3, 2013
Anal sex is wrong
beers

Oswego, IL

#41517 Aug 4, 2013
Why can't it be called a union? Why do they so vehemently scream it must be marriage? I'm all for the same rights under the law, but why do they have to take something so sacred to Christians? I'm thinking they hate Christians.

Since: Jun 11

AOL

#41518 Aug 4, 2013
beers wrote:
Why can't it be called a union? Why do they so vehemently scream it must be marriage? I'm all for the same rights under the law, but why do they have to take something so sacred to Christians? I'm thinking they hate Christians.
Illogical. Many are Christians. Many Christian congregations celebrate same sex marriage.

Are you forgetting that many of other faiths get married too? Marriage does not belong to any one religion. Each religion may have their own additional requirements and rituals, but marriage is a fundamental right of all persons.

Why do those like you so vehemently scream it must not be marriage?

You are free to determine what your marriage means to you. You are not free to impose your personal beliefs on everyone else. Marriage is a fundamental right, and each couple is free to determine what it means to them.

Planned Parenthood of Southeastern Pennsylvania v. Casey, 505 U.S. 833, 851 (1992):“These matters, involving the most intimate and personal choices a person may make in a lifetime, choices central to personal dignity and autonomy, are central to the liberty protected by the Fourteenth Amendment. At the heart of liberty is the right to define one’s own concept of existence, of meaning, of the universe, and of the mystery of human life.”
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#41519 Aug 4, 2013
Not Yet Equal wrote:
At the heart of liberty is the right to define one’s own concept of existence, of meaning, of the universe, and of the mystery of human life.”
That's why we have an overcrowded prison system. Too many people defining their own concept of existence.
disabled in mapleton

Mapleton, IL

#41520 Aug 4, 2013
sad part is what makes u think it will be any better if u get same sex marriage? Hell as it is the courts ruled against me a disabled man when I was wrongfully arrested in 2009 and I even did jail time for it when there was three different judges who dealt with my case. Here i sit some 4 years later and one more wrongful arrest and they still won't just do their jobs because a grown man and his adult daughter threatened my 12 yr old and they do nothing...except send the exact same cop who first arrested and tased me after illegally entering my property

“Busting Kimare's”

Since: Feb 13

Clitty

#41521 Aug 4, 2013
beers wrote:
A Church sponsored wedding is known as Holy Matrimony.

Marriage, which can include the above, also includes civil unions. Millions of couples have simply gone to a courthouse to get married.

Further, your comment is insulting people whose faith practice is not Christianity.

Finally, separate, but equal, has never been equal.

“Busting Kimare's”

Clitty

#41523 Aug 4, 2013
The Regnerus Hoax has become a tool for the international scapegoating of LGBT people world wide, including in Russia where it is being heavily used.

http://www.topix.com/news/gay/2013/08/the-reg...

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#41526 Aug 4, 2013
Not Yet Equal wrote:
<quoted text>
Illogical. Many are Christians. Many Christian congregations celebrate same sex marriage.
Are you forgetting that many of other faiths get married too? Marriage does not belong to any one religion. Each religion may have their own additional requirements and rituals, but marriage is a fundamental right of all persons.
You are free to determine what your marriage means to you. You are not free to impose your personal beliefs on everyone else. Marriage is a fundamental right, and each couple is free to determine what it means to them.
Planned Parenthood of Southeastern Pennsylvania v. Casey, 505 U.S. 833, 851 (1992):“These matters, involving the most intimate and personal choices a person may make in a lifetime, choices central to personal dignity and autonomy, are central to the liberty protected by the Fourteenth Amendment. At the heart of liberty is the right to define one’s own concept of existence, of meaning, of the universe, and of the mystery of human life.”
Those churches are apostate.

However, based on science, ss marriage is an oxymoron.

Location hidden

#41527 Aug 4, 2013
Dusty Mangina wrote:
The Regnerus Hoax has become a tool for the international scapegoating of LGBT people world wide, including in Russia where it is being heavily used.
http://www.topix.com/news/gay/2013/08/the-reg...
The Regenerus study is the latest, largest and most scientific study to date. It was exonerated of all gay charges by peers.

Location hidden

#41528 Aug 4, 2013
Dusty Mangina wrote:
<quoted text>
A Church sponsored wedding is known as Holy Matrimony.
Marriage, which can include the above, also includes civil unions. Millions of couples have simply gone to a courthouse to get married.
Further, your comment is insulting people whose faith practice is not Christianity.
Finally, separate, but equal, has never been equal.
Marriage is a distinct human relationship.

ss couples are clearly not equal from the get-go.

“Busting Kimare's”

Clitty

#41529 Aug 4, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Marriage is a distinct human relationship.
ss couples are clearly not equal from the get-go.
Thanks, yet again, for sharing your personal opinion. Sad, that's all you have left.

Still married, in every sense of the word, just like you. Not partnered, not coupled, not "united, but married.

Troll on, Hunty.

AOL

#41530 Aug 4, 2013
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
That's why we have an overcrowded prison system. Too many people defining their own concept of existence.
Our prison population is a result of people failing to follow the golden rule.

The prison problem is not self actualization, but unwanted interference in the lives of others.

AOL

#41531 Aug 4, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
The Regenerus study is the latest, largest and most scientific study to date. It was exonerated of all gay charges by peers.
Bull.

The American Sociological Association's SCOTUS brief destroys claims made that same-sex households are inferior when it comes to raising children, which is a major argument for those pushing Prop 8 and DOMA. "The ASA especially calls out the Mark Regnerus study, which is the recent controversial study claiming children raised in same-sex households suffer adverse efffects. Supporters of Prop 8 made this study a huge part of their arguments in spite of fact that it has been discredited."

AOL

#41532 Aug 4, 2013
ASA said the following about the Regnerus study in its brief (pgs. 26-29):

"First, the Regnerus study does not specifically examine children born or adopted into same-sex parent families, but instead examines children who, from the time they were born until they were 18 or moved out, had a parent who at any time had “a same-sex romantic relationship.”. As Regnerus noted, the majority of the individuals characterized by him as children of “lesbian mothers” and “gay fathers” were the offspring of failed opposite- sex unions whose parent subsequently had a same-sex relationship. In other words, Regnerus did not study or analyze the children of two same-sex parents.

Second, when the Regnerus study compared the children of parents who at one point had a “same-sex romantic relationship,” most of whom had experienced a family dissolution or single motherhood, to children raised by two biological, married opposite-sex parents, the study stripped away all divorced, single, and stepparent families from the opposite-sex group, leaving only stable, married, opposite-sex families as the comparison... Thus, it was hardly surprising that the opposite-sex group had better outcomes given that stability is a key predictor of positive child wellbeing. By so doing, the Regnerus study makes inappropriate apples-to-oranges comparisons.

Third, Regnerus’s first published analysis of his research data failed to consider whether the children lived with, or were raised by, the parent who was, at some point, apparently involved in “a romantic relationship with someone of the same sex” and that same-sex partner. Instead, Regnerus categorized children as raised by a parent in a same-sex romantic relationship regardless of whether they were in fact raised by the parent and the parent’s same-sex romantic partner and regardless of the amount of time that they spent under the parent’s care. As a result, so long as an adult child believed that he or she had had a parent who had a relationship with someone of the same sex, then he or she was counted by Regnerus as having been “raised by” a parent in a same-sex relationship.

Fourth, in contrast to every other study on same-sex parenting, Regnerus identified parents who had purportedly engaged in a same-sex romantic relationship based solely on the child’s own retrospective report of the parent’s romantic relationships, made once the child was an adult. This unusual measurement strategy ignored the fact that the child may have limited and inaccurate recollections of the parents’ distant romantic past.

Finally, the study fails to account for the fact that the negative outcomes may have been caused by other childhood events or events later in the individual’s adult life, particularly given that the vast majority (thirty-seven of forty) of the outcomes measured were adult and not childhood outcomes. Factors other than same-sex parenting are likely to explain these negative outcomes in the Regnerus study. Regnerus himself concludes that “I am thus not suggesting that growing up with a lesbian mother or gay father causes suboptimal outcomes because of the sexual orientation or sexual behavior of the parent.”

In sum, by conflating (1) children raised by same-sex parents with (2) individuals who reportedly had a parent who had “a romantic relationship with someone of the same sex,” and referring to such individuals as children of “lesbian mothers” or “gay fathers,” the Regnerus study obscures the fact that it did not specifically examine children raised by two same-sex parents. Accordingly, it cannot speak to the impact of same-sex parenting on child outcomes."

American Sociological Association

AOL

#41533 Aug 4, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Your personal prejudice. Not a statement of fact.

Location hidden

#41535 Aug 4, 2013
Not Yet Equal wrote:
<quoted text>
Your personal prejudice. Not a statement of fact.
No, it is simply based on Matthew 19 and the historical consensus of Christianity.

As to Regnerus, we have been over this, I've posted Slate articles exposing the duplicity of lesbian studies, and the Dr. Marks comparison of those studies with legitimate survey methods.

What is highly ironic is a gay defending lesbian studies. Go get your own!

AOL

#41536 Aug 4, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it is simply based on Matthew 19 and the historical consensus of Christianity.
As to Regnerus, we have been over this, I've posted Slate articles exposing the duplicity of lesbian studies, and the Dr. Marks comparison of those studies with legitimate survey methods.
What is highly ironic is a gay defending lesbian studies. Go get your own!
Lesbians are gay women.

Over 30 years of research has shown the deteriming variable is the relationship between the parent and child, not the gender of the parent.

Again, the American Sociological Associan rejects the Regnerus study and explains why it is bogus.

Your prejudice still fails to provide a legitimate excuse for denial of equal treatment of the marriages of same sex couples.
beers

Oswego, IL

#41537 Aug 4, 2013
Not Yet Equal wrote:
<quoted text>Illogical. Many are Christians. Many Christian congregations celebrate same sex marriage.

Nope. Bible clearly states one man one woman. It's a Christian belief. How one church or another choose to define it is regardless. The bible what all Christians believe in being the true word of god clearly states what marriage is. It is their choice to redefine gods words. Just as it is for them to reap what they sow.

Location hidden

#41538 Aug 4, 2013
Not Yet Equal wrote:
<quoted text>
Lesbians are gay women.
Over 30 years of research has shown the deteriming variable is the relationship between the parent and child, not the gender of the parent.
Again, the American Sociological Associan rejects the Regnerus study and explains why it is bogus.
Your prejudice still fails to provide a legitimate excuse for denial of equal treatment of the marriages of same sex couples.
Most often gay refers to male homosexuals.

Never the less, the studies are about lesbian couples.

Interesting huh?

“Busting Kimare's”

Clitty

#41539 Aug 4, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Opinion, and opinion.

At any rate, my prostate is none of your damned business.

Troll on, Hunty

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Winnebago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Catholic Charities refuses to place children wi... (Jun '11) 9 hr nOgOd 821
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 14 hr LieutenantGov 4,033
IL Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in I... (Oct '10) 14 hr fosterbrooks 156
IL Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) 14 hr Blwlgo 1,930
Beth Wagner-Dickerson Sep 17 Curious 1
How do I get out of Rockford Illinois? (Nov '13) Sep 17 jim 10
How to expose civil rights violations by Winneb... Sep 9 Overseer of the weak 5
•••
•••
•••

Winnebago Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Winnebago People Search