That damn annoying fire station siren

Posted in the Winfield Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Since: Feb 11

United States

#1 Feb 19, 2011
Every fire station I've ever known has the most modern technology except the one here. Winfield apparently can't afford or hasn't heard of 2 way radios to alert the firemen to an emergency. Any givin time of the day or night, even while children are studying in school or sleeping for school the next day and adults are working, sleeping or in a very important conversation on the phone or maybe even in a meeting, out of peace come this loud obnauctious siren from the firestation. I could understand if they want to evacuate Winfield. I mean I've been in Winfield for years now and where ever here you live it's loud. I think they should invest in radios and drop the siren. If it's a financial issue, I'm sure locals here would definately put forth a few bucks just to eliminate that noid. I lived on Ferry St and it crossed my mind many times to take it out with a rifle. I live about a half mile farther down the road and the damn thing still wakes me. I think I should start a petition to pass door to door to have this eliminated. Tell me what you think. Should I and would you or someone you know support me in this? If this works I may start on other projects in this town. We need to start making changes in Winfield that we want. Not what the town wants. Later I shall discuss the growing buisness of winfield when I believe it's hard enough to drive thru here most of the time.
Support your volunteers

Poca, WV

#2 Feb 19, 2011
The difference between you and our Firemen are that when the whistle blows they stop what they are doing and go help their fellow man and you do nothing and complain about it. These guys and gals have families, careers and lives they put on hold to go and help people like you or your family when you need them. If your wife and child was to wreck tomorrow and be trapped in their car and dying who do you think is going to leave the safety and comfort of their home to come rescue them (for absolutely no pay). They may be out cutting grass, playing catch with their son, throwing a frisbee with their daughter or working in the garden. So lets just let your wife and daughter die because heaven forbid the siren bothers you once every few days. Instead of complaining how about helping.
234randy

Point Pleasant, WV

#3 Feb 19, 2011
people you need to stop griping about it probly doesnt bother anyone they have to do that so vechiles will be aware of emergency vechiles

United States

#4 Feb 19, 2011
To Support your volunteers: incase you can't read I'll say it again. They have invented these things called radios and pagers. They can notify who needs to be notified about these emergencies. Not everyone in winfield. Most cities in this country have them. Live next door to it and listen to it all the time 2-10 times a day and then talk. They're can't be that many emergencies in winfield every day.

To 234randy: if it didn't bother no one then why am I and many others I know bitching about it? People that live across the river even hate it.

If you don't care about the siren and it don't bother you then fine. All good for you. I posted this to see if the ones who wanna do something about it will speak up and I'll start the process. I'm not posting to get a bunch of critisizing smart mouths to have another reason to wine. I'm doing something constructive here. So please don't waste my time if you don't plan to help by speaking up. If you don't mind the siren it won't bother you that it's gone but if it continues to go off, the ones who are bothered by it will benefit.
Support your volunteers

Poca, WV

#5 Feb 19, 2011
Dale: i am not the one criticizing & complaining you are. I am simply defending. The firemen do have pagers, two way radios, and can also receive texts from dispatch. The point is is that there are times they may not be able to hear these devices in certain situations. Therefore they have the siren. It is extremely important that they get notified by any and all means necessary. If your child was drowning and no one showed up because of an electronic error (wich happens) how would you feel. Let me guess, you put the blame on someone else. By the way,i live near the siren and i do hear it every time it goes off and it does not bother me in the least. It does not go off 2 to 10 times a day either. While your at it why don't we get an ordinance about crying babies, barking dogs, trains blowing the horn at crossings, church bells, and whiny ass crybabies like you while we're at it.
234randy

Point Pleasant, WV

#6 Feb 20, 2011
Roughneck Dale wrote:
To Support your volunteers: incase you can't read I'll say it again. They have invented these things called radios and pagers. They can notify who needs to be notified about these emergencies. Not everyone in winfield. Most cities in this country have them. Live next door to it and listen to it all the time 2-10 times a day and then talk. They're can't be that many emergencies in winfield every day.
To 234randy: if it didn't bother no one then why am I and many others I know bitching about it? People that live across the river even hate it.
If you don't care about the siren and it don't bother you then fine. All good for you. I posted this to see if the ones who wanna do something about it will speak up and I'll start the process. I'm not posting to get a bunch of critisizing smart mouths to have another reason to wine. I'm doing something constructive here. So please don't waste my time if you don't plan to help by speaking up. If you don't mind the siren it won't bother you that it's gone but if it continues to go off, the ones who are bothered by it will benefit.
yea and how are the fire department going to radio other people because something may happen to there little old padgers and they wont know that they need help
Donna

Charleston, WV

#7 Feb 24, 2011
Support your volunteers wrote:
Dale: i am not the one criticizing & complaining you are. I am simply defending. The firemen do have pagers, two way radios, and can also receive texts from dispatch. The point is is that there are times they may not be able to hear these devices in certain situations. Therefore they have the siren. It is extremely important that they get notified by any and all means necessary. If your child was drowning and no one showed up because of an electronic error (wich happens) how would you feel. Let me guess, you put the blame on someone else. By the way,i live near the siren and i do hear it every time it goes off and it does not bother me in the least. It does not go off 2 to 10 times a day either. While your at it why don't we get an ordinance about crying babies, barking dogs, trains blowing the horn at crossings, church bells, and whiny ass crybabies like you while we're at it.
Did you say "there are certian times they may not hear these devices in certian situations" And just what would those be? I Know for a fact that over 90% or the firemen dont even live in hearing distance of the siren. And even if they did, if something was so loud they couldnt hear thier beeper then how in the world would they hear a siren that is 5 miles away? Use your head befor you speak please. Only reason I could think of to have that siren would be for them to make sure everyone is watching them as they get in the truck. I live a little more than a mile fron the station and it is very bothersome to anyone within 2 miles. Im glad we have Volunteer firemen but there is no reason for the station to have a siren.
Support your volunteers

Poca, WV

#8 Feb 25, 2011
Donna, I explained earlier the situations where they possibly wouldn't get the pages. You are also wrong on the 90% of the members not living within hearing distance of the siren. Its more like 90% of the firemen live (within) hearing distance. If you were volunteering your time to an organization would you be willing to wear a pager on your side at all times day or night. Make sure that your pager was always charged, turned on, volume up, right channel and on your side "at all times". What if its in the bedroom on charge and you are somewhere else in the house upstairs, downstairs, outside, or in the basement. What if you accidentally left it in you pants in the hamper. What if the battery went dead during the day. What if you accidentally left it in the car. What if you were mowing grass, weedeating, working in the garden, etc., etc. Is it worth a life not to have these guys alerted by more than one means. These guys are volunteering their time to help you and your family. They should be able have a life that they are not married to their pager 24 hours a day and be able to hear the fire whistle when they are needed. During the day they are lucky to get 2 or 3 guys out because the rest are working. I don't know about you but if a tree falls on me I would like all three firemen to come by any and all means necessary. If they don't get the message they ain't coming. The comment that they want everybody to see them when the siren goes off is also very offensive. No one comes out to see them. Most people like yourself could care less. Go to a meeting on monday night and get to know them and see what kind of people they are and what they do to protect us all. I was a volunteer fireman for many years and a paid fireman as well and I know for a fact that you don't always hear your pager and you sometimes rely on the siren. And i personally know the sacrifice these men, women and their families make. Sometimes with their own life. You say you appreciate them and what they do so why dont you help, donate, volunteer, instead of criticizing, condeming and complaining or at least leave them alone and let them do their job and don't try to take one of their tools from them.
volunteer guy

United States

#9 Feb 25, 2011
I am a volunteer fireman, and I assure you the siren on top of the firestation was not put there to bother people or too alert spectators to come out and watch. It's purpose is too alert pedestrians and motorists on the street of our presence, and also to alert the firemen in the area. I have been active in the fire service for several years and I don't know of one volunteer station that does not employ the use of a fire whistle. It is a critical part of any volunteer fire department. I know that as long as I have been on the department, the siren has alerted me to at least a quarter of the calls. I don't always have my pager on my side, but if I'm at home then I always hear the siren. The siren only goes off in an emergency. About half of our calls every year are non-emergency, such as trees in the roadway, assisting paramedics, fighting brushfires, etc. On these types of calls, the siren is not sounded. The other half, such as car wrecks, structure fires, and water rescues, are the ones you hear when the fire whistle is sounded. We do not sound the siren on the non-emergency calls so we do not bother those living around the fire station. I assure you all that we are here to do all we can to help the community, not to be a nuisance.
Donna

Charleston, WV

#10 Feb 26, 2011
Volunteer Guy, you make since.I can understand better now about the use of a siren. The one who calls himself "Support your volunteers" sounds like he is a wanna be firemen to me. He talks about if he was weedeating or mowing and didnt have a pager on. Come on now, if he was doing that he wouldnt hear a siren anyway. However I did make a call to file a complaint but the lady said I could file one but there wouldnt be any need at this time. She said that it has been a discussion for the last few years and it looked like they were getting rid of all of the sirens at the Volunteer stations. She said that all stations had them at one time but now there were only 3 in Kanawha Co that had them. She also said that they are in the process of closing down some of the stations because of lack of funding. I did hate to hear that.
Support your volunteers

Poca, WV

#11 Feb 26, 2011
Donna Q, you are full of bull. Are you just making this stuff up or what. You must be retired and don't have anything better to do but stick your nose in other peoples business. Probably stick it in your neighbors to I bet. Very negative busy body person. Who did you talk to about the sirens. I thought we were talking about putnam county not kanawha. What have you done for your community? Thats what I thought. You are right about one thing I am a wannabe but for now I am just a was. Maybe later but people like you make it hard to wan't to help.
Support your volunteers

Poca, WV

#12 Feb 26, 2011
By the way donna I can hear the siren when i am weedeating and cutting grass.
Support your volunteers

Poca, WV

#13 Feb 27, 2011
Donna, here are a few comments I found from people around the country. Hope it helps.

As a firefighter in Center Moriches for 13 years, there have been many times that my pager did not activate for a fire. The text paging system from the County is often down for days at a time. When there is a fire or an EMS call, can a community risk not being able to alert firefighters or EMS personnel? I, for one, don't think so.

The sirens not only provide backup to the paging system, but also serve another important purpose-- to alert the community that there are volunteers responding to the fire station in their personal cars. Outdoor warning sirens still serve a vital purpose, even in 2008.

The three existing Center Moriches sirens have been in the same locations for over 40 years, so they're not new. They were present before many homes were built. While I sympathize with the resident, I hope he understands that the siren system, while perhaps annoying, still serves to keep his family-- and all families-- safe in our community.
sam
Shirley, NY
Reply »|Report Abuse|Judge it!|#81Jan 20, 2008

Yes, fire sirens are needed. They alert not only fire fighters, but the public as to the emergency and so you may stay out of the way when they come charging down the road.
sam kelly
Long Beach, NY
Reply »|Report Abuse|Judge it!|#73Jan 20, 2008

if you move next to a railroad track you will hear trains, you move near an airport you will hear planes, you move next to a firehouse you will hear a siren.
Lesson learn, if you dont like the noise dont move next to them.

Jul 22, 2008, 08:48 PM #14
Sun Baked
macrumors 603

A siren is still a cheap solution, since beepers and cellphones can and do get lost.

When the siren sounds, it is ingrained to act quickly without having to spend time looking at and reading a message before reacting. Darn quick way to alert everyone in the vicinity of the station to quickly get ready.

Jul 22, 2008, 09:15 PM #15
iJohnHenry
macrumors 603
Support your volunteers

Poca, WV

#14 Feb 27, 2011
A few more Donna.

Ed
When electronic aids shut down, just go to the fire station for further instruction.
Aug 29, 2008, 07:50 AM #17

Main Reason Is.....
One of the main reasons fire departments still sound the siren, even with pagers and cell phones, is if a firefighter is doing outside work or doesn't have
their pager on them for whatever reason they can still be alerted that something is going on. Being a volunteer fire fighter myself, I rather not carry a pager while working outside or under a vehicle...etc.... Most districts will replace the first pager if it gets broken, but the second time it's on us at $400-$700 a pager. The question is....if a beautiful sunny day was happening and everyone's out doing yard stuff or whatever and there was no whistle for someone to show up if you had an emergency....would it have been worth not having those few times the siren goes off????

If you are a fireman and you hear the siren go off then you know there is a fire, if you get a text on your phone then it could be anything.

If you are outside, or doing something noisy, then you can hear the siren when it goes off.

If you are asleep at the time then the siren will wake you up.

etc.etc.

It's a nice loud simple sign that there is a fire. When it can make the difference between life and death you need something simple, foolproof and, in this case, loud!

1. help round up any firefighters working outside and not in (as someone else mentioend)

and 2. someone else mentioned this as well - warning to outside civilians and traffic.

Where I live, there's a station near a busy road. As soon as that siren goes off, folks stop their cars and wait for the trucks to come out and head off.

Even where I live in Connecticut—one of the wealthiest and more developed states—radio reception is patchy and cell phone service is a joke, but you can hear that siren howling no problem. Our fire department is all-volunteer, so the more people they can get to show up at the station, the better than can address the fire.

It also serves as a good warning that the roads are about to be filled with jacked up super-swamper pickup trucks with flashing blue lights, soon to be followed by some massive tanker trucks.
While those sirens can be noisy and annoying they help lowwer your fire insurance rate as part of the ISO ratings that the insurance industry uses to decide how much to charge you. The LOWER the ISO number your department has the cheaper your insurance will be. Having audible sirens to alert the firefighters goes towards lowering the ISO rating.

Other things that affect the ISO rating are, number of firehouses, number of pumpers and their GPM (Gallons per Minute) rating and other trucks and equipment. Another thing is the water supply in your district also affects the rating too.

Sorry they did not answer you directly. As with cell phones, pagers do not work in many areas. The siren is more used when full crews, for real emergencies are needed. In districts where they have their own dispatchers, they can determine on a call by call basis, what requires a siren at what time etc. I am often outdoors and the siren makes me look at my phone which may-or may not get a text message re an alarm. Often, I don't know why, the text is delayed minutes, or even hours. More cell/radio towers would really help, but people think they are ugly or cause brain issues and often vote NIMBY. It wakes us up too, we all live in our districts.
Ridiculous complaining

United States

#15 Feb 27, 2011
Why would you complain about something that is used for emergencys. Yes I agree it is loud but...that's the point its a siren. I personally think it's necessary and if a chemical leak or an attack of some sort occured then it would be crucial to saving lives. I'm sure that you can find another topic to complain about that is equally as senseless. The Volunteer program is critical in the area and it is sad that you would be insulting towards their safety equipment. I think barking dogs keep more people awake. :)

United States

#16 Feb 27, 2011
Is this the only place you people have ever lived? I've lived all over kanawha and putnam counties along with several other states and these local areas are the only places that sound a siren over shit so small. It's not fires and fucking car wrecks. I've seen some of the stupid shit that siren went off for and it's redicules. The only time sirens sound everywhere else is due to an evacuation or a city wide emergency. But cause a fucking power line got wrapped around a tree limb or there's a dead deer laying on the road. That's bullshit to wake up midnight for that. I posted this to see who would agree and if no one does then fine but I didn't ask for replies from people who have nothing else to do with their lives but ridicule shit people say. If u don't agree then don't waist your time. Use that time to do something that might make yourself or someone else happy. Don't try to put someone else down to make yourself feel important or better. Just makes u look like a fool. If u read everything I posted u will notice I never placed anyone in any line of fire so why u people place me in your line of fire.
Support your volunteers

Poca, WV

#17 Feb 27, 2011
I didn't mean to offend you Dale, I just wholeheartedly don't agree with you and I think it needs to be sounded for "Emergencies".
Non Emergencies No.
LayzNdaCrazyDayz

Hurricane, WV

#18 Feb 28, 2011
I love how it interrupts our education
Greg

Winfield, WV

#19 Mar 1, 2011
The siren is not needed. They all have pagers that are audible and vibrate. They have the siren so that when they have a call they want the public to know. Thete is no need to let the public think you are doing something. There is no neef at all for it
Billy Bob

Poca, WV

#20 Mar 1, 2011
You and Dale need to learn to spell.
Unless you are the same person.
Hmmmm.
Buy some ear plugs too.

"Sirens Save Lives"
"Pagers aren't reliable"
"Spread the Word"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Winfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Adult book store in st. Albans 6 hr SecondCumming 5
Best lay 6 hr SecondCumming 11
Ordinance Park st. Albans 14 hr David 17
Amber Campbell 15 hr Living it 15
Micheal rhodes 16 hr Winfield 3
shift change at toyota (Jan '12) 17 hr Angela 8
Easy in nitro Thu charleston 6

Winfield Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance