Bicyclist killed in Wheaton car crash

Bicyclist killed in Wheaton car crash

There are 25 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jun 12, 2008, titled Bicyclist killed in Wheaton car crash. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

A bicyclist died Thursday morning after an accident involving a vehicle in unincorporated Wheaton , the DuPage County sheriff's office said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
PEOPLE R NUTS

Downers Grove, IL

#2 Jun 12, 2008
wow! ease up there jim! It does not say anything about the driver taking off in this article and the other one i just read said police questioned the driver of the car. does not sound like a drive off... prayers to the family and friends... very sad!
Jim A in Chicago

Elk Grove Village, IL

#3 Jun 12, 2008
Isn't the intersection of Pleasant Hill Road and Armbrust Avenue near a bike path?
Lin

Chicago Heights, IL

#4 Jun 12, 2008
The Daily Herald says that the police talked with the driver of the car.

And yes, that intersection is at the Prairie Path that goes all around that area.

I knew something was up when I saw 4 police cars on my way to work this morning.

Since: Nov 07

Glen Ellyn

#5 Jun 12, 2008
This is my co-worker's friend.
Horrible!

I see more and more though - using the IPOD's on these cyclists. I do not know if this was involved in this situation but wearing headphones could pose a problem to byclists.
Walter Lundby

Elmhurst, IL

#6 Jun 12, 2008
Armburst and Pleasant Hill would be the intersection of the "Illinois Prairie Path" bicycle path with Pleasant Hill road.
I live a little bit further south on Pleasant Hill. The speed is posted at 25mph but most cars seem to go 40 or more. There needs to be a crosswalk there,(maybe with a button based light).
Traffic can be heavy as people going to/from the DuPage County court complex use Pleasant Hill/Jewell to miss several traffic lights. This runs into joggers and bicyclists using the Prairie Trail.
JesseJacksonJr

Palos Park, IL

#7 Jun 12, 2008
Horrible.
Dick

United States

#8 Jun 12, 2008
Button based light? What will that do? Nothing. They don't contr anything except the pedestrian walk and stop light. They are there to educate people who don't seem to know when to cross the street. It is funny though to watch people continue to push the button.
Macdaddy

United States

#9 Jun 12, 2008
We all need to be more carefull out there. More and more people are choosing, myself included, to bike it to work with the outrageous gas prices. Put down the coffee, get off the cell phone and watch were you are going!!! Prayers to all involved.
LArm

Newtown Square, PA

#10 Jun 12, 2008
Good point Macdaddy. It breaks my heart to see all these bicyclists getting killed. More bicyclists on the roads means everyone needs to be more careful
Mitch

Chicago, IL

#11 Jun 12, 2008
Well, the biker was in the driver's milieu, and not the other way around. Was the biker drinking, or wearing an IPOD or talking on his cordless phone? Maybe he was wearing all black?

I think there is more to this story that needs to be explained.
John

Wheaton, IL

#13 Jun 12, 2008
I work right on pleasant hill. rd the biker was coming the opposite direction from geneva rd. and the car was driving from jewell. the biker was struck in the front right corner of the car and flew forward the bike going with the car. the driver was 20 w/ suspended license. biker did not pass immediately but died at the hospital. the accident was bad it looked like the car hit a pole. my prayers go to the family
Mickowar

Essendon, Australia

#14 Jun 12, 2008
In my humble opinion, it kind of sucks that some motorists just have no idea! I mean its pretty evident that alot of them can be very irrisponsible at times! And its unfortunate because it makes driving a bit of a hassel for everyone :(
I can say this now as I used to myself be faily irresponsible, but stopped before any damage was done, Id like to actually send thanks out to a book I read on being smart on the roads, i think the link was www.total-driving.com id really recomend it for everyone as its got countless information on cars!=)
sue

Schaumburg, IL

#15 Jun 12, 2008
So very sorry.
wake up

Chicago, IL

#16 Jun 12, 2008
Mitch wrote:
Well, the biker was in the driver's milieu, and not the other way around. Was the biker drinking, or wearing an IPOD or talking on his cordless phone? Maybe he was wearing all black?
I think there is more to this story that needs to be explained.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but the street is also the cyclist's milieu. Interesting how you so easily jump to the conclusion that the dead cyclist must have been doing any number of things wrong. Your momma must be so proud of the compassionate dirtbag she raised.
RSW

Downers Grove, IL

#17 Jun 12, 2008
wake up wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry to burst your bubble, but the street is also the cyclist's milieu. Interesting how you so easily jump to the conclusion that the dead cyclist must have been doing any number of things wrong. Your momma must be so proud of the compassionate dirtbag she raised.
When driving, sometimes bike riders seem to come out of no-where and that is probably why they get hit, the bike rider isn't doing anything wrong, just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Also lots of distractions while driving, keeping eye on the road is #1 for me. I never eat, smoke, speed talk on the cell phone when driving even tho I see that going on behind me in my rear-view mirror. I don't want my name to be in the news that I was the one who ran into anybody. I steer clear of bicyclists to the point of just stopping my car when they get too close.
Mystified

Chicago, IL

#18 Jun 12, 2008
This is the second birthday death reported today in the Chicago Tribune.

It gives me such an eerie, awed feeling, like that these particular people have some unique destiny beyond our understanding.

(Okay, I know it sounds weird. Just thinking out loud here.)
rudym

United States

#19 Jun 13, 2008
All it takes is a little bit of planning to make a safe bicycle city for bicyclists to get safely to every place in town.

Make selected streets become bicycle streets. Post maximum car speed limits of 15 MPH and only allow local resident car traffic to travel one block to park on bicycle streets. In other words, do not allow though car traffic on bicycle streets. Put up bicycle crossing yield signs to caution cars approaching bicycle streets.

Start with one street in every direction that leads to downtown area, parks, and swimming pools. Watch how bicycle traffic will increase in use once it becomes safe. Aim to do this approximately every eight blocks in every direction, and bingo, we instantly have accomplished a first step for a safe cross-town bicycle city. Residents living on bicycle streets will love it because a bicycle street will result into reduced noise and polluted car traffic speeding down their street and be more aware of bicyclists..
tom

United States

#20 Jun 13, 2008
Ok this was 625 in the morning..sunrise is at 515 usually. So obviously the driver was not limited due to darkness...I wouldnt blame the driver just yet..everyone is getting on his case because he had a suspended liscence..doesnt make him a bad person. In about a week or so im sure there will be more information..but we have to look at it from all angles before saying how horrible this kid is. The biker wa 53 years old..he is not that agile himself..he could have slipped with his bike and swerve..you never know
MMiller

South Charleston, OH

#21 Jun 13, 2008
I agree with Tom, from the articles I read about this incident, sounds like an accident, the driver didn't drive off. It does suck that he had a suspended license. I do think bikers nowadays should be more careful. I drive in the city all the time, and some bikers are not very careful at all. I'm not saying that this biker wasn't careful. Bottom line is bikers and car drivers should be all more careful. It's an unfortunate accident.
yeah

Hinsdale, IL

#22 Jun 13, 2008
John wrote:
I work right on pleasant hill. rd the biker was coming the opposite direction from geneva rd. and the car was driving from jewell. the biker was struck in the front right corner of the car and flew forward the bike going with the car. the driver was 20 w/ suspended license. biker did not pass immediately but died at the hospital. the accident was bad it looked like the car hit a pole. my prayers go to the family
Ugh - that's one of my biggest fears when I'm on my bike - passing exits from shopping centers and side streets where the view of the main street is obstructed by parked cars. For one reason or other, people who come out of parking lots always seem to be in a massive hurry to do so, and rarely look for either pedestrians on the sidewalk or cyclists passing near the curb; often times they pull out halfway into the road while cars are still passing, obstructing sidewalk and bike lanes, in order to be able to squeeze into the flow of traffic better. Please just wait until there is a legit break in traffic before you exit lots; you'll be saving lives, and not losing that much time in retrospect Terrible situation

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Winfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Illinois Supreme Court hears Drew Peterson appe... 16 min The lawyer 250
News What do you love and hate? (Jan '09) Sat Ben Dover 15
Bicycles totally illegal, on streets and sidewa... (Jun '13) May 18 Lord of Darkness 15
TRUMP is a PIECE OF SH*T (Aug '16) May 16 Gladys 14
Naperville home to the sickos May 16 Gladys 8
Poor sole May 16 Unincorporated 4
County farm and jewel May 12 Regan 1

Winfield Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Winfield Mortgages