Repaired Route 190 Span Expected To B...

Repaired Route 190 Span Expected To Boost Bicycle Traffic

There are 26 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Jan 21, 2009, titled Repaired Route 190 Span Expected To Boost Bicycle Traffic. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

Project manager Dennis Gyette said the $10.9 million project includes repairs to damage underneath the bridge caused by normal wear and tear from the weather and the traffic above.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
reasonable ron

Hartford, CT

#1 Jan 21, 2009
Sounds like a smart project. Bridges should be for all modes of transportation.
RESIDENT

Waterbury, CT

#2 Jan 21, 2009
The bridge needed work. Even over budget by 1%, we should all feel a lot safer when this is done.

Bridges, buildings, roads don't last forever. They need attention and maintenance.
AviationMetalSmi th

Brooklyn, NY

#6 Jan 22, 2009
It's important to have a bike lane with a barrier to protect cyclists from 55MPH traffic.
Bicycle Tourism can bring in money. The average cyclist spends $730.00 on his or her bicycle every two years. This bridge is part of the East Coast Greenway:
http://www.greenway.org
Please help out by giving cyclists directions to find the greenway , and encourage idle teenagers to ride their bikes on the greenway.
enfield

North Kingstown, RI

#9 Jan 24, 2009
East Windsor Resident wrote:
Sorry Suffield, but the lowlife scum of Thompsonville is now going to have easy access to your homes and businesses. Make sure you keep your windows and doors locked all of the time. I'm sure you will see many of these skells in your area once this pedestrian bridge is completed. Hopefully it reduces the amount of hustlers and drug addicts infesting our town.
YOUR A JERK
enfield

North Kingstown, RI

#10 Jan 24, 2009
I BET PEOPLE THAT USE THEIR BICYCLES AS A MAIN MODE OF TRANSPORTATION ,PAY WAY MORE TAXES THAN PEOPLE WHO ONLY USE THEIR CAR .MOST PEOPLE WHO ONLY USE THEIR CAR ARE ON SOME SORT OF FED .ASSISTANCE ,AND ARE TO DEBILITATED TO RIDE .ITS PROBLY FROM TOO MUCH DRINKING AND DRUGGING ,LIKE THE BIG PROBLEM THEY HAVE WITH THAT IN EAST WINDSOR.WE RIDE BECAUSE WE ARE SMARTER THAN YOU ,WE ALSO WORK HARDER ,AND PAY MORE TAXES THAN MOST (10.000 TO IRS LAST YEAR ) SO WE DESERVE TO HAVE SOME OF THE TAX MONEY SPENT ON OUR GREENWAY ,BECAUSE TO DATE ,THE EXPENDITURES SPENT FOR PEDESTRIANS AND BIKERS IS NEXT TO NOTHING . HOW UNFAIR . WHEN TOWNS LIKE EAST WINDSOR GET ALL THAT WELFARE MONEY . FURTHUR MORE WE KEEP THE PRICE OF FUEL DOWN ,AND ALSO THE EMMISSION OF GREEN HOUSE GASSES ., SO WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO HELP SOCIETY LATELY ,EAST WINDSOR RESIDENT (YEAH GO HIT THE CRACK PIPE AGAIN )

“Blazing Skies!!!”

Since: Sep 08

Planet Mirth

#12 Jan 24, 2009
RESIDENT wrote:
The bridge needed work. Even over budget by 1%, we should all feel a lot safer when this is done.
Bridges, buildings, roads don't last forever. They need attention and maintenance.
When was the last time we heard of a public works that wasn't 50% over budget? Good job, guys!

“Blazing Skies!!!”

Since: Sep 08

Planet Mirth

#13 Jan 24, 2009
reasonable ron wrote:
Sounds like a smart project. Bridges should be for all modes of transportation.
It's about time! Talk about being a former Bridge to Nowhere.

As the state's northernmost span across the Connecticut River it will open up non-mechanized travel opportunities for thousands of people from both sides. As an adult cyclist I am pumped. Get ready to see that Canal Towpath Trail to Windsor Locks explode with users because now there will be a loop.
MATT

North Kingstown, RI

#14 Jan 24, 2009
YES THAT IS AWESOME ,BUT FOR THE TIME BEING WE NEED TO USE THAT BRIDGE (IT IS CLOSED TO PED TRAFFIC . CAN YOU IMAGINE ,I HAVE TO WALK WAY DOWN TO THE WINDSOR LOCKS BRIDGE JUST TO SEE MY BROTHER YOU LIVES JUST OVER THE RIVER IN SUFFIELD .CANT THEY OPEN A NARROW LANE FOR PEDESTRIAN TRAFFIC . WE ONLY NEED A COUPLE FEET WIDE .PLEEEEEASE ,(MY FEET ARE GETTING OLD )
MATT

North Kingstown, RI

#15 Jan 24, 2009
ypdave wrote:
<quoted text>
You need a little less sugar and caffeine. And that CAPS Lock key - tap it once, please.
Sry about that ,but i just can't stand people like that east windsor resident ,who just sits there and judges an entire community with one selfish comment . Thompsonville is not the cause of suffield s problems .Maybe that person would like to see borders and fences put up ,instead of the greenway .(i personally think that they have the same opinion of many facsists

“Blazing Skies!!!”

Since: Sep 08

Planet Mirth

#16 Jan 24, 2009
MATT wrote:
<quoted text> Sry about that ,but i just can't stand people like that east windsor resident ,who just sits there and judges an entire community with one selfish comment . Thompsonville is not the cause of suffield s problems .Maybe that person would like to see borders and fences put up ,instead of the greenway .(i personally think that they have the same opinion of many facsists
If that was your rant above I would suggest a) don't take things personally; b) don't become what your are criticizing.

You judged an entire community, too.

I agree with you about a small temporary pedestrian passage being needed during construction. I wish they had thought of putting in a sidewalk when they redesigned the Putnam Bridge in the 80's.
enfield

North Kingstown, RI

#17 Jan 24, 2009
ypdave wrote:
<quoted text>
If that was your rant above I would suggest a) don't take things personally; b) don't become what your are criticizing.
You judged an entire community, too.
I agree with you about a small temporary pedestrian passage being needed during construction. I wish they had thought of putting in a sidewalk when they redesigned the Putnam Bridge in the 80's.
Your right , you seem like your very smart , thanks for the lesson to be learned .
reasonable ron

Hartford, CT

#18 Jan 26, 2009
From what I hear, they're not going have a pedestrian/bike lane when they work on the Putnam Bridge this time around.
ypdave wrote:
<quoted text>
If that was your rant above I would suggest a) don't take things personally; b) don't become what your are criticizing.
You judged an entire community, too.
I agree with you about a small temporary pedestrian passage being needed during construction. I wish they had thought of putting in a sidewalk when they redesigned the Putnam Bridge in the 80's.

“Blazing Skies!!!”

Since: Sep 08

Planet Mirth

#19 Jan 26, 2009
reasonable ron wrote:
From what I hear, they're not going have a pedestrian/bike lane when they work on the Putnam Bridge this time around.
<quoted text>
You know, I just threw that Putnam Bridge thing out there because I remembered them working on it way back and thinking, incorrectly, that it would end up with a pedestrian/bike lane. Silly me. They must have slid in just under the requirements to have one like they did with the Founders and Bissell bridges during the 80's.

So you say they're working on Putnam again and still no pedestrian facilities? WTF?
reasonable ron

Hartford, CT

#20 Jan 26, 2009
I believe so. I recall a few Rick Green columns about it around a year or so ago.
ypdave wrote:
<quoted text>
You know, I just threw that Putnam Bridge thing out there because I remembered them working on it way back and thinking, incorrectly, that it would end up with a pedestrian/bike lane. Silly me. They must have slid in just under the requirements to have one like they did with the Founders and Bissell bridges during the 80's.
So you say they're working on Putnam again and still no pedestrian facilities? WTF?
Guy with the Wooden Eye

Newington, CT

#21 Jan 26, 2009
Just what Suffield needs, more Tour-De France Bicycle racers endangering cars and pedestrians by not following traffic laws and RACING at high speeds.

“Blazing Skies!!!”

Since: Sep 08

Planet Mirth

#22 Jan 26, 2009
Guy with the Wooden Eye wrote:
Just what Suffield needs, more Tour-De France Bicycle racers endangering cars and pedestrians by not following traffic laws and RACING at high speeds.
Laws of physics. Small human powered vehicles are no danger to cars. The term high speed is relative - a fast bike is still slower than a slow car. I agree many cyclists don't obey the laws and I wouldn't blame anyone for having them cited by the authorities. They make me mad, too. Don't judge all by what you see. I could just as easily say that all car drivers are dangerous because I saw some do something stupid. We're not bikes. We're soft, squishy humans on bikes.
CT Taxpayer

Windsor, CT

#24 Jan 27, 2009
PAY YOUR TAXES wrote:
DEVRIES MICHAEL J
203 HALLADAY AVENUE
SUFFIELD, CT
owes $70,689.39 in back income taxes
860=668=6887
http://www.ct.gov/drs/cwp/view.asp... |
Maybe he can be the Deputy Treasury Secretary.....
Jim from Suffield

Milwaukee, WI

#25 Jan 27, 2009
It will be great to have this route available by bicycle in my opinion. As it is under construction I do not have any problems other than those who need to go too fast still.

Since: Mar 08

Suffield, CT

#26 Jan 27, 2009
Not sure why it posts me at Granby MA ... I live in Suffield.
reasonable ron

Hartford, CT

#27 Jan 27, 2009
This is the only thing I could find about: http://blog.tstc.org/2007/11/13/in-ct-calls-f...

I couldn't find the Rick Green columns.
ypdave wrote:
<quoted text>
You know, I just threw that Putnam Bridge thing out there because I remembered them working on it way back and thinking, incorrectly, that it would end up with a pedestrian/bike lane. Silly me. They must have slid in just under the requirements to have one like they did with the Founders and Bissell bridges during the 80's.
So you say they're working on Putnam again and still no pedestrian facilities? WTF?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Windsor Locks Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Teardown Of Terminal B At Bradley Airport Begin... Jul 21 Larry 1
Fireworks Jul 18 Laura 1
Old septic tanks Jul 6 Jan Harris 1
david bartini suffield,ct alcoholic & wifebeate... (Dec '13) Jul '15 Researcher 4
Travel Deals scam now in CT (Jun '11) Jun '15 emiligray 78
News Report: Suffield Cops Vote 'No Confidence' in C... Jun '15 nataliedas 1
Motorcycle accident (Jul '10) Jun '15 Pinner 14
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Windsor Locks Mortgages