Teen Struck and Killed by Off-Duty Officer

Oct 31, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: WVIT-TV

A well-liked Windsor Locks teenager, struck and killed while riding his bicycle, is being remembered.

Comments
1 - 20 of 30 Comments Last updated Nov 23, 2010
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
48yrWLRes

Hartford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2010

Judged:

While it is very sad when someone this young looses their life, we cannot blame the police officer involved, we certainly cannot blame the 15 year old that lost his life, but I would love to talk to the parents and find out why on earth, their 15 year old son was out riding his bike at midnight. I live right near this intersection, cars fly down West & Spring all the time, I myself have called the pd numerous times to complain - it was only a matter of time before someone lost their life there.

Parents - if you want your kids to be safe, know where they are, who they are with !! Talk to them, tell them that no matter what the situation or what they've been doing, you will be there for them no questions asked.

Very very sad tragic ending.

My heart goes out the wlpd officer who know has to live with this everyday of his life, to the 15 year whose life was taken so suddenly and the friends he left behind. To the family of this boy - really ? I'm sorry but......
AnotherWLResiden t

East Windsor, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2010

Judged:

What responsibility does the friend's parent have in this? Letting a 15 yr old ride a bike home at midnight from your house?
48yrWLRes

Hartford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2010

AnotherWLResident wrote:
What responsibility does the friend's parent have in this? Letting a 15 yr old ride a bike home at midnight from your house?
Couldn't agree more. When my children were growing up, if they had friends over late watching a movie or whatever, I ALWAYS drove the kids home. You are right, they were at my house, I was responsible for them getting home safely, I would have expected the same out of their friend's parents.
concerned

Watertown, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2010

Judged:

I think you both should be ashamed of yourself for posting these comments on here. A boy is dead. The families are in pain and are most likely blaming themselves as it is. You two are on here with the what ifs. It upsets me that you both are throwing blame around at two families and a 15 year old who is now gone. Let these families be and stop throwing blame around.
48yrWLRes wrote:
<quoted text>
Couldn't agree more. When my children were growing up, if they had friends over late watching a movie or whatever, I ALWAYS drove the kids home. You are right, they were at my house, I was responsible for them getting home safely, I would have expected the same out of their friend's parents.
2concerned

Hartford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2010

concerned wrote:
I think you both should be ashamed of yourself for posting these comments on here. A boy is dead. The families are in pain and are most likely blaming themselves as it is. You two are on here with the what ifs. It upsets me that you both are throwing blame around at two families and a 15 year old who is now gone. Let these families be and stop throwing blame around.
<quoted text>
This is a forum in which people can express their opinions. If you do not like the opinions that are expressed here than move on. I do not see where either one of these people are saying they are blaming anyone, they are just expressing their opinion on the situation.
concerned

Watertown, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2010

2concerned wrote:
<quoted text>
This is a forum in which people can express their opinions. If you do not like the opinions that are expressed here than move on. I do not see where either one of these people are saying they are blaming anyone, they are just expressing their opinion on the situation.
they both are placing blame even without knowing it. Apparently I can't express my opinion either. What my concern is on those families involved and whether or not they read this. You never know who does. What I AM saying is that when writing said expressions, they have to be careful when doing it. This isn't something that happened a few months ago. It happened this past weekend. Their emotions are high right now.

if you want expression of opinion, what about that off duty cop. From what i hear He was drinking and driving. Whether it is true or not I do not know. I pity him if that is the case, because apparently he wasen't using good judgement that night either.

How is that for expressing my opinion
xxx

Hartford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2010

Judged:

concerned wrote:
<quoted text>
if you want expression of opinion, what about that off duty cop. From what i hear He was drinking and driving. Whether it is true or not I do not know. I pity him if that is the case, because apparently he wasen't using good judgement that night either.
How is that for expressing my opinion
Seems as if you are placing blame on the police officer without knowing all the facts.
This is human nature, this is what people do, we try to find a reason for something happening whether it offends other people or not. Maybe this police officer is going to read this or maybe his family will read this..how do you think they will feel ? No differently than the family of the teenager or his friends family - so don't be a hypocrite.
I am well aware of when this accident happened, I live 2 houses up from the intersection, I've seen the kids out there everyday trying to get over this and I feel for them, I really do ! I feel for the families and the police officer, but as I said it's human nature, we try to think of what could have been done to avoid a bad situation not that it matters anymore.
Far to often people try to blame everyone else, when deep down they should be looking to blame no one but themselves, especially in a situation like this.
Windsor Locks Resident

Bloomfield, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2010

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php... #!/video/video.php?v=158025803 7935
Sickened by the cover up

Brea, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2010

We all know that residents stick together and we all know that its obvious WLPD is coverig this up big time. Word has it from other residents around town that this officer was in fact drinking and driving and was more concerned about getting rid of evidence than helping the boy who could have been saved. I'm sorry how this sounds to those of you who think that all police are perfect and who think the family is at fault. But come on, let's get back to reality here... This cop was out on a joyride at midnight at age 22!!! Please! The writing is on the wall! I can't wait to see how this investigation plays out.
Another WL resident

Windsor Locks, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2010

Judged:

48yrWLRes wrote:
While it is very sad when someone this young looses their life, we cannot blame the police officer involved, we certainly cannot blame the 15 year old that lost his life, but I would love to talk to the parents and find out why on earth, their 15 year old son was out riding his bike at midnight. I live right near this intersection, cars fly down West & Spring all the time, I myself have called the pd numerous times to complain - it was only a matter of time before someone lost their life there.
Parents - if you want your kids to be safe, know where they are, who they are with !! Talk to them, tell them that no matter what the situation or what they've been doing, you will be there for them no questions asked.
Very very sad tragic ending.
My heart goes out the wlpd officer who know has to live with this everyday of his life, to the 15 year whose life was taken so suddenly and the friends he left behind. To the family of this boy - really ? I'm sorry but......
Parents knew where he was... Who he was with and what he was doing. The boys did nothing wrong.... Now what was it you said about the police officer. You now can apologize to his Family and then go look at yourself in the mirror. THAT IS MY OPINION AND I AM STICKING TO IT!
localdude

Waterbury, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2010

Judged:

guess everyone that was shooting off there mouth is a little quieter now huh???
off duty cop was drinking,speeding,and possibly on his cell phone,oh yeah he was on his cell phone to call his daddy thats also a cop in town and was first on the scene because they lacked the help at that time,give me a fricking break,no sweeping anything under the rug in this investigation,i feel real bad for the poor family that lost a very young family member,and my heart goes out to all that knew this wonderful boy,hang there everyone,lots of wonderful memories to cherish..

we miss you Henry!!!!!!!
whats wrong with people

Windsor Locks, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2010

Judged:

it doesn't matter what time it was - it was still the driver's fault. This young man would have been old enough to drive himself in a few months - what is the big deal about him being out at midnight? His parents knew where he was and when he was coming home. Who are you to judge his parents? Maybe they did not have a vehicle. Maybe they were at work. It is not like he was just randomly riding around town at that time. There were discussions with the parents on both sides. A sophomore in high school is old enough to cross an intersection no matter what time it is. With all this new info coming to light, looks like you should put the blame back where it belongs.
whats wrong with people

Windsor Locks, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2010

Judged:

localdude wrote:
off duty cop was drinking,speeding,and possibly on his cell phone,oh yeah he was on his cell phone to call his daddy thats also a cop in town and was first on the scene because they lacked the help at that time,give me a fricking break,no sweeping anything under the rug in this investigation,i feel real bad for the poor family that lost a very young family member,and my heart goes out to all that knew this wonderful boy,hang there everyone,lots of wonderful memories to cherish..
we miss you Henry!!!!!!!
hard to believe they lacked the help - aren't there like 27 police officers on the payroll in this tiny little town ???
WNDSRL06096

Hartford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2010

Judged:

localdude wrote:
we miss you Henry!!!!!!!
I think you should say "was possibly drinking, was possibly speeding, was possibly on his cell phone" while the evidence doesn't look good, it's not right to convict someone before all the evidence has been gathered. If it comes down to this, justice will be served to all involved. Unfortunately his family will never have back what they lost.
QUESTION_4_U_ALL

Hartford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2010

Seriously...how many people writing into this blog have ever had a drink and drove ? I'm sure most adults (hopefully just adults) may have stopped at a friends house had a beer (or 2) and then drove home, or gone out after work for a beer (or 2) and then drove home. If you have I'm sure you're not alone..nobody is perfect.

I'm not saying it's the right thing to do, and if it comes down to this cop was drunk - whether off duty or not - deserves what will come to him and to everyone else involved with this, but just because he was at a bar; doesn't mean he was drunk. Just because he was tailgating doesn't mean he was drunk. I've done both and didn't get drunk.

Would everyone be as upset over this if it was just some Joe Schmo, who spent a night drinking it up at JR's Cafe, came across the bridge on his way home, came through that very intersection and hit him ? I think everyones undies are in a bundle, because this person happens to be a police officer from the very town where the accident happened. Being a police officer, we expect more out of them, we expect them to make no mistakes and not break the law, but unfortunately they are human too - they make mistakes, they do stuipd things just like anyone else.

Just sayin' time will tell
concerned

Watertown, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2010

For those telling me to not be a hypocrite, I was not doing that. i was told to get out if I did not like the opinions of others. understandable, but I was making a point with my last post. I purposely put it in a way to make it sound like i am a hypocrite. The way you choose the words in a post is important. I never met Henry Dang, but I would have eventually. Yes i live in NY and most of you might be wondering what do I know about this. Well i have seen the memorial for him and i have seen my niece trying to keep up a strong front. I saw her this past weekend and I see the pain and loss in every movement she made. She has a strong front, but she is holding everything in for her friends and family. I pray for Henry's family everyday as well as all his friends. I pray my niece will make it through the loss of a close friend. And it does not matter that he was a police officer. It is the fact that he got behind the wheel in the first place. Was he at a bar yes, that was indicated in another post I had read. He was a little tipsy when he left it said. And yes, those of you that have said about having a drink and driving are right. Most people have had a drink and drove at least once in their life. For the officer and his family, i pray for them as well. Everyone, in this needs some kind of support in one way or another.
SpringSTDriver

Hartford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2010

Judged:

My concern now is that his group of friends are hanging around at this intersection until 10:00 at night, yelling at cars as they go by, making cars beep their horns, distracting drivers. It's a very unsafe situation especially at this time of year when it is dark so early on.

I drive through this intersection every night on my way home from work and it worries me to see a large group of kids hanging around that corner. I've seen some of the kids in the road actually carrying a sign and NO.. people are not slowing down any because these kids are there. If anything, they fly through the intersection beeping their horn, because the kids are getting them all cranked up. I understand that one of his friends lives in the house right there, but there are other people that live around there too, other neighbors who may not be appreciative of the kids screaming and cars beeping their horns. I understand they are tormented and mourning, but they need to be respectful too.

I understand mourning, it will take time for these kids to heal, but are they doing this as a tribute to their friend or at this point are they doing it for media attention, and doing it because no one is going to tell them they can't? For a week, I did not see anyone there, now all of a sudden as new news emerges, the news is there every night, the kids are back in droves.

Someone will get hurt there again - guarantee it.
whatever

Windsor Locks, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2010

Judged:

QUESTION_4_U_ALL wrote:
Seriously...how many people writing into this blog have ever had a drink and drove ? I'm sure most adults (hopefully just adults) may have stopped at a friends house had a beer (or 2) and then drove home, or gone out after work for a beer (or 2) and then drove home. If you have I'm sure you're not alone..nobody is perfect.
I'm not saying it's the right thing to do, and if it comes down to this cop was drunk - whether off duty or not - deserves what will come to him and to everyone else involved with this, but just because he was at a bar; doesn't mean he was drunk. Just because he was tailgating doesn't mean he was drunk. I've done both and didn't get drunk.
Would everyone be as upset over this if it was just some Joe Schmo, who spent a night drinking it up at JR's Cafe, came across the bridge on his way home, came through that very intersection and hit him ? I think everyones undies are in a bundle, because this person happens to be a police officer from the very town where the accident happened. Being a police officer, we expect more out of them, we expect them to make no mistakes and not break the law, but unfortunately they are human too - they make mistakes, they do stuipd things just like anyone else.
Just sayin' time will tell
no, but Joe Schmo's dad wouldn't be able to cover it up. Joe Schmo would have had a breathalyzer on the spot!
QUESTION_4_U_ALL

Windsor Locks, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2010

whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
no, but Joe Schmo's dad wouldn't be able to cover it up. Joe Schmo would have had a breathalyzer on the spot!
BUT....what would you do to protect your child ??????? Put aside for a minute the fact that they are both police officers, put yourself in that guy's shoes - what if it were your kid ???
joeker

Granby, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2010

Judged:

why did he take off? why did his father even go to the scene?why was the kid riding his bike at midnight, are you kidding me!!! god forbid anyone has to go to the store at midnight to get pampers for the baby, it must be your fault if something happens, not the standup cleancut cop

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Windsor Locks Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Irene Macarthur's Descendants? (Feb '09) Aug 18 Vaughn Grant 3
kittens Aug 12 Angela Maringola 2
dentist to avoid !!!!! caution (Feb '08) Jul '14 Shelby 16
Debate: Gay Marriage - Enfield, CT (Jul '10) Jun '14 Berwynn 55
Looking for Lisa Deni May '14 stephanie 1
Searching May '14 Dave 1
CT Who do you support for Governor in Connecticut ... (Oct '10) Apr '14 America Gentleman... 780

Search the Windsor Locks Forum:
•••
•••
Windsor Locks Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Windsor Locks Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••