Boil Advisory Lifted For All Towns

Boil Advisory Lifted For All Towns

There are 41 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Apr 27, 2009, titled Boil Advisory Lifted For All Towns. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

The Metropolitan District Commission and the Connecticut Department of Public Health have lifted the "boil water" advisory for its customers in the towns of Bloomfield , Hartford, West Hartford , Windsor and parts of East Granby and Windsor Locks .

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Tony Dante

West Hartford, CT

#1 Apr 27, 2009
You be the first one to try it. You better order Italian bottled water at Max's.

“About iBlog ”

Since: Nov 08

West Hartford, Connecticut

#2 Apr 27, 2009
OK - so NOW what do I do with 7 cases of spring water, three jugs of boiled water, and a half-finished bottle of purple Gatorade??
The Ancient Mariner

Storrs Mansfield, CT

#3 Apr 27, 2009
Water, water everywhere, and not a drop to drink...
acomment

Shelton, CT

#4 Apr 27, 2009
iBlog wrote:
OK - so NOW what do I do with 7 cases of spring water, three jugs of boiled water, and a half-finished bottle of purple Gatorade??
Drink Up!!
Paul Goldstein

West Hartford, CT

#5 Apr 27, 2009
So did they stop finding copepods and rotifers, or did they just decide it was O.K if we drink them??

The article here (which is really just the press release from MDC) says the distribution system was tested throughout the weekend, but does not indicate whether those tests revealed presence of copepods and rotifers.

The MDC also does not indicate whether the chlorination efforts killed off the organisms or not. Is there risk of drinking dead microorganisms (killed from chlorination)?

A little more plain English and facts would be appreciated.
John

United States

#6 Apr 27, 2009
You just had to add a magnified picture of the copepod to your article, didn't you? I think I'm going to get sick. Raaalllppphhh!!
John

West Hartford, CT

#7 Apr 27, 2009
Isn't anyone concerned that it took a customer to find the issue and the MDC was clueless until notified. Makes me wonder just how well their monitoring system works.
Sheila

AOL

#8 Apr 27, 2009
How can MDC say the organisms are not harmful and then tell people to boil their water. For all the money that MDC charges for water this should have never been a problem. All the money that I pay out to MDC I expect clean safe water. This never should have happened. Human lives are top priority! When I pay top dollar MDC, I expect top service and not inconvience!!!

“Born & raised in Connecticut”

Since: Aug 08

Grand Prairie, TX

#9 Apr 27, 2009
Wow.

From the Journal Inquirer's article:

Its just something that happened, said Stephen Pratt, assistant manager for water treatment and water quality at MDC, the state-chartered utility for water, sewer, and hazardous waste collection in towns surrounding Hartford.

It's just something that happened???

And it was first discovered by a civilian, not the MDC???

Stock up on Perrier folks, your water districts trying to do you all in.

Whether on purpose or through incompetence, what's the difference?
Curious

West Hartford, CT

#10 Apr 27, 2009
Just wondering how the Bloomfield resident who initially discovered this knew something was wrong since they say these organisms are microscopic!
Jukebox Romeo

West Hartford, CT

#11 Apr 27, 2009
So much for my Boiled Water Bash '09.
dee

Hartford, CT

#12 Apr 27, 2009
I'm suing MDC they told me to boil the water for one minute before drinking they never said cool it before consuming NOW I HAVE THIRD DEGREE BURN IN MY MOUTH, LIPS, CHEST AND ASOPHYGUS I hope I spell the last one right!
Tellusthetruth

West Hartford, CT

#13 Apr 27, 2009
So what are they doing to fix the problem and prevent future incidents of the filtering or treatment system not working properly? Clearly things got into our water that didn't belong there and the MDC didn't know about it - or didn't tell the public about it until after the fact. What is being done to make sure nothing gets past the filters that isn't supposed to? What CHANGES are the MDC making to ensure that our water is safe to drink?

I hope the courant does some actual reporting and investigating rather than simply passing along MDC press releases, which leave out a lot of details.

If the results were at DPH Sunday why did it take until almost 5 pm today for a statement lifting the boiling advisory?

The "article" says the results were all within safe quality standards - but it doesn't say if there were increased levels of bacteria or anything else unusual since the previous tests.

I think us MDC water customers deserve to know the whole story ASAP.
Tellusthetruth

West Hartford, CT

#14 Apr 27, 2009
Are we supposed to just drink the dead copepods?
Reader

Newington, CT

#15 Apr 27, 2009
John wrote:
You just had to add a magnified picture of the copepod to your article, didn't you? I think I'm going to get sick. Raaalllppphhh!!
I agree. I am so sick of seeing that enlarged photo of the microscopic organism that is supposed to be harmless on the front page of Courant.com .... YUCK!!!!!! It is like those microscopic dust mites that live in our mattresses we are better off without the visuals.
Shark Bait

Gales Ferry, CT

#16 Apr 27, 2009
Fake issues grabbing up the headlines for days.

Real problem is goose poop.
Reader

Southington, CT

#17 Apr 27, 2009
You people spend how much for clean water? Is Dibella doing anything for you?
Reader

Southington, CT

#18 Apr 27, 2009
Awipe, you deserve it.
dee wrote:
I'm suing MDC they told me to boil the water for one minute before drinking they never said cool it before consuming NOW I HAVE THIRD DEGREE BURN IN MY MOUTH, LIPS, CHEST AND ASOPHYGUS I hope I spell the last one right!
dee

Hartford, CT

#20 Apr 27, 2009
Reader wrote:
Awipe, you deserve it.
<quoted text>
\
you stupid i was being funny
ralph

Windsor, CT

#21 Apr 27, 2009
now the water taste like extremely strong chlorine - Yuck! I'm sticking to bottled water! not good for the environment but at least it is drinkable.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Windsor Locks Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Enfield republicans calli ng to harass? Nov 4 james 1
Free Health Fair, Enfield ct Oct 25 Ccwwww 1
Cindy deli Oct '17 Manny 1
Joe Schweitzer hit by car (Dec '08) Sep '17 Crystal 18
News Trump card: could the president help bring a ca... Sep '17 America Gentleman... 6
rentals Sep '17 sharon1234 1
A big thank you Sep '17 Mary Ann D 1

Windsor Locks Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Windsor Locks Mortgages